PDA

View Full Version : Bonner's Future

Stump
04-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Presently, there are only three bigs on contract for next season. Duncan, McDyess and Blair are certainly all rotation players when healthy, but with the first two needing to play fewer minutes due to age, there is probably a need for two more solid rotation bigs along with a nice 'insurance' big like Ratliff. Splitter's name has been thrown around a lot, but he is obviously not a lock.

One of the easiest answers for a rotation big is Bonner. He's not starter quality, but he knows the system and knows his role in it. What would his market value be, and what would the Spurs be willing to play? I'd love to keep him with a 3yr/$8mil contract, but I know GMs have a penchant for overpaying bigs.

Thoughts?

MateoNeygro
04-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Keep him if it doesn't cost too much basically. I love his effort and enthusiasm on the court.

itzsoweezee
04-10-2010, 07:40 PM
kick his worthless ass to the curb.

the spurs need big men who play like big men. not a 6'10" pussy who's lost doing anything other than shooting wide open three pointers.

Stump
04-10-2010, 07:45 PM
Keep him if it doesn't cost too much basically. I love his effort and enthusiasm on the court.

Yeah, I agree, I just wonder what his worth is. There are a slew of bad to mediocre bigs on MLE contracts (~$6 mil a year), but I assume in most of those cases the teams paid for what the guy might be rather than what he actually is. Bonner's ceiling isn't high and everyone knows it, so I peg him at $2-3 mil a year.

vander
04-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Bonner's worth 3 to 4 mil a year,
but it doesn't matter, with Manu's new bloated contract, this team will have no chance at a title, so might as well let Bonner walk and fill out the rest of the roster with the cheapest players possible.

Johnny RIngo
04-10-2010, 07:52 PM
I like his production when he's given limited minutes(less than 20) but he becomes a liability when we use him to close out games due to his poor rebounding and anti-clutchness. Kinda want him gone due to the fact that Pop relies on his much too often(almost to the point where he's become a crutch)

MateoNeygro
04-10-2010, 08:02 PM

the spurs need big men who play like big men. not a 6'10" pussy who's lost doing anything other than shooting wide open three pointers.

Damn man that was harsh Lol. Take it easy on Red Rocket.

Borosai
04-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Matt is wearing shades.

Spurs7794
04-10-2010, 10:20 PM

People who say this shit about Bonner aren't paying any attention to what he does and are just looking at him and judging him because he looks awkward. Sure he's not clutch but he mixes it up and works hard on the boards, moves the ball well, plays good team defense (he's not that gifted individually) and he's really scrappy.

dbestpro
04-10-2010, 10:33 PM
If Splitter is here Bonner will be gone. Boston or Toronto is most likely destination. Could even go in a sign and trade. The Spurs know they have to upgrade along side Duncan. I could even see Blair moved in a package for the right player.

TD 21
04-11-2010, 01:27 AM
If Splitter signs, one of McDyess or Bonner is gone. I'd rather keep McDyess, but I feel the Spurs will keep Bonner (stretch four, which they're obsessed with, knows the system, more affordable, is truly a fourth big, at least on a team with championship aspirations and that is what he'd be if he returns, with Blair's likely improvement).

ElNono
04-11-2010, 01:30 AM
If Splitter signs, one of McDyess or Bonner is gone. I'd rather keep McDyess, but I feel the Spurs will keep Bonner (stretch four, which they're obsessed with, knows the system, more affordable, is truly a fourth big, at least on a team with championship aspirations and that is what he'd be if he returns, with Blair's likely improvement).

Dice is under contract for next season, Bonner isn't. I think that makes the decision rather simple.

Cane
04-11-2010, 01:32 AM
Definitely dependent on whether or not Tiago gets here.

If possible, I think it would be in the Spurs interest to keep Bonner. However in the upcoming 2010 Lebron James extravaganza, the possibility of overpaying players is high and I can see him fitting in three point happy systems like Mike D'Antoni's.

But we'll see how Bonner does in the playoffs....he can be abused since hardly anyone seems to respect him on the court ;)

TD 21
04-11-2010, 01:50 AM
Dice is under contract for next season, Bonner isn't. I think that makes the decision rather simple.

Not at all. Ever heard of a trade? McDyess is only going to play one more year, Bonner could be a Spur for at least another couple of seasons. Plus, this organization is obsessed with having a stretch four in the rotation. It's easy to say, sign Cook or Novak, but neither would be in the rotation. Also, Bonner will come cheaper than McDyess.

Like I've repeatedly said, I'd rather see McDyess back than Bonner, but I just don't see it happening. To show you how much Pop values shooting at the four spot, look how many times McDyess has gotten a quick hook or not finished games because he missed one or two mid range jumpers.

ElNono
04-11-2010, 01:54 AM
Not at all. Ever heard of a trade?

Who's going to take on Dice's contract? He's owed $10 million for the next two seasons.

McDyess is only going to play one more year

He's signed through 2011/2012 (http://hoopshype.com/salaries/san_antonio.htm)

TD 21
04-11-2010, 01:57 AM
Only next season is guaranteed. Good teams are always looking for a veteran big man and McDyess is considered above the Smith (Joe) and Howard types, who are fourth and fifth big men at this point in their careers. He's still a solid number three. I honestly don't think he'd be difficult to move, the problem is it may have to be to a fellow West playoff team. I'm not advocating this, just saying I see this happening. If the organization wasn't so obsessed with having a stretch four in the rotation, I'd think otherwise.

SenorSpur
04-11-2010, 03:04 AM
I've been impressed with Bonner's off-the-dribble, running hook, that he's added to his game this year. However, he's still such a poor rebounder and non-clutch player, that he becomes a liability in big games against stiffer competition. This has become a glaring "elephant in the room".

I'd rather the Spurs move on without him. Like others, I think it depends on Splitter's arrival. I'd also prefer to have Dice and Ian (yes I said Ian) on next year's roster, instead of Bonner. The Spurs should be able to resign Ian at a cheap 2-yr contract. I just believe Ian's skill set is more highly valuable and coveted around the league and for this team. Having a young, athletic post player, who can rebound, block shots and run the floor is just a huge asset.

However, something tells me Pop is still going to want to have a "stretch 4" on the team. Therefore, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Bonner back on the team next year. Of course, his price tag may keep going up. Gist and Tolliver could be cheaper "stretch 4" options if he wanted to go that route, but that's another story.

Pop's penchant for small-ball is so very puzzling because practically every contending Western Conference team can throw out different frontcourt size variations at their opponents. Other than Duncan, this current Spurs team, is deficient is both size and flexibility in the frontcourt.

Therefore for next year, I'm hoping for a frontcourt rotation of Duncan, Dice, Splitter, Blair and Mahinmi. This rotation would provide a nice mix of size, versatility, athleticism, youth and experience to matchup better with any frontcourt in the NBA - including the Fakers.

jason1301
04-11-2010, 03:34 AM
I just hope that Blair improves over the summer the same way G Hill did, that way we don't need Bonner as much. If he goes from 7.6pts and 6.2reb to like 12 and 8, I would be stocked. His D needs work also, he could be a huge asset if he takes his game to the next level.

I can also see T Splitter coming here, TD, Dice, Blair and Splitter will be so awesome. Bonner stretches the court, but Blair running the pick n roll with Manu could be ten times better.

G-Dawgg
04-11-2010, 06:10 AM
Bonner has become a big part of this team.. as lousy as he can play sometimes, I always find myself being and impressed by his decision making, his effort and he can also score in bunches at times.... he's got my vote to stay.

lurker23
04-11-2010, 08:37 AM
I think a lot of it depends on the Spurs' opinion of McDyess. If they feel he can be a solid rotational big for all of next year, they might let Bonner walk, knowing that they have their top 4 in Duncan/Dice/Splitter/Blair, and they can fill holes around that, probably with one youngster in his 20s and one typical-Spurs vet in his 30s.

However, if the price tag is right, they will definitely consider bringing back Bonner. Considering the Spurs current salary cap situation for the next few years, I think they'd probably offer Bonner something like 2 years, $7 million, so they're not locked in as much. However, given where Bonner is in his career, he might go for a longer term contract somewhere else; I have a feeling someone will come out and offer him 3 years, $10-11 million, or 4 years, $14-16 million, and he might take that for the long-term security.

As someone else mentioned, with the Spurs' Bird Rights to Bonner, he might be a candidate to be in a sign-and-trade, if someone doesn't want to use their MLE on him, though it's hard to say someone would be willing to give up a player that the Spurs would want to take on more money for.

Ocotillo
04-11-2010, 08:38 AM
Folks are saying Bonner is not clutch and he doesn't board as much as a man his size should but he is a role player, not the guy who is going to be on the floor in the clutch typically. If Splitter is part of the rotation next season, Bonner has evolved into a nice big that can stretch the floor, grab a key rebound and now can dribble and do that running hook.

I know most everyone wanted him and Finley on the first train out of SA but Bonner has come along.

Now if you are talking about who is going to start next to Duncan and close out games, then yes Bonner is not the right guy for that.

dbestpro
04-11-2010, 08:48 AM
I just hope that Blair improves over the summer the same way G Hill did, that way we don't need Bonner as much. If he goes from 7.6pts and 6.2reb to like 12 and 8, I would be stocked. His D needs work also, he could be a huge asset if he takes his game to the next level.

I can also see T Splitter coming here, TD, Dice, Blair and Splitter will be so awesome. Bonner stretches the court, but Blair running the pick n roll with Manu could be ten times better.

I actually believe that Blair's future is linked to Splitter's. Splitter gives us the size that is sorely lacking next to Tim. If Splitter does not come then we have to go get someone. One of the best bargaining chips in a multi player deal is Blair. He also needs someone of size on the floor with him so when he gets posted inside by a taller man the other Spur big man can rotate over. Blair by himself in the paint has not been pretty. Bonner has been too inconsistent on D and is not long enough to provide help in this area. Besides there are guys like Brian Cook how can do the same thing for a whole lot less.

diego
04-11-2010, 08:53 AM
if bonner performs in the PO, bring him back. if he shrivels, let him walk. quite simple really.

lurker23
04-11-2010, 08:56 AM
I think they'd probably offer Bonner something like 2 years, $7 million, so they're not locked in as much. However, given where Bonner is in his career, he might go for a longer term contract somewhere else; I have a feeling someone will come out and offer him 3 years, $10-11 million, or 4 years, $14-16 million

One caveat of these numbers is, of course, that teams tend to overpay for big men, though I'm not sure Bonner really falls into the category of big men that get the big bucks. Shooters are overpaid less often, though it can happen (e.g.- Jason Kapono got a 4 year, full MLE deal after a career year in 06-07). Bonner would be smart to take the first couple weeks of July off, let his agent see what offers come in, and see if anyone panics with cap space or MLE and throws mucho dinero at him.

8FOR!3
04-11-2010, 09:12 AM
Bring Bonner back. If you don't think he's giving all the effort he has, he wouldn't be developing so well. He's shooting three's with a higher percantage than ever, getting more rebounds this year than ever, and overall this is his best year statically by far and it's the most he's played since his rookie season. The guy's putting up eerily similar numbers to Brent Barry and although they're a different position, Bonnar plays simarily on the offensive in and just like Barry and others, you will miss him when he's gone.

exstatic
04-11-2010, 09:33 AM
Bonner is ridiculously efficient on offense (career 47% FG and 41% 3G) , and he's not even having a good year, with the broken hand and all. I think he'll be back as a bench big unless he prices himself too high.

wildbill2u
04-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Bonner at 3.5 million is worth a hell of a lot more than McNothing at 10. Find a team that wants an old vet with nothing left but a contract they can drop off.

If you can find someone better than Bonner for his price--and its not a pipe dream fantasy--then bring it on.

jiggy_55
04-11-2010, 09:51 AM

I think 12 and 8 could be a bit much, but its well within his range if he gets more minutes. 11 and 7.5 is more like it though, that would be a nice steady improvement. That would be impressive, anything more than that would be simply awesome. He needs to learn to defend bigger guys using his body.

Mr.Bottomtooth
04-11-2010, 10:04 AM
As long as his price doesn't get too high, I would gladly welcome Bonner back. Although sometime's he's just turned off during games, he's still a good player with a nice 3 and developing hookshot. A big man rotation next year of Duncan, Splitter, Bonner, Blair, and McDyess/Mahinmi is pretty damn solid to me.

Mel_13
04-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Bonner's worth 3 to 4 mil a year,
but it doesn't matter, with Manu's new bloated contract, this team will have no chance at a title, so might as well let Bonner walk and fill out the rest of the roster with the cheapest players possible.

:lol

Care to explain how the Spurs chances are better without Manu?

Bruno
04-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Spurs will be in the luxury tax level next year. Bonner at $3M will cost $6M to Spurs. If, as expected, Spurs made a financial effort to get Splitter, I doubt they will make another one to bring back Bonner.

sananspursfan21
04-12-2010, 12:29 PM
i really liked him when he played about 10-15 min. per game. i as well as everybody else just got annoyed when he started doing 25+

Sisk
04-12-2010, 01:20 PM
i thought the OP was going to be him eating a sandwich somewhere

i think RC/pop keeps him for the right price

Dex
04-12-2010, 01:21 PM
What a sad state of affairs when I actually wouldn't totally mind Bonner returning (in a limited capacity).

spurastic
04-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Bonner is great! Keep him.

J_Paco
04-12-2010, 02:07 PM
I could really see the Spurs letting Bonner walk, especially if he going to be getting offers of $3M or more. The better option would be bringing back Anthony Tolliver, who has a similar skill-set to Bonner and is a superior passer, possibly signing Ian at a cheap 2 yr./$1M per contract and (hopefully) bringing Splitter over from Europe. That would give the Spurs a solid rotation of:

Duncan - 28-30 minutes per.
Splitter - 26-28 minutes per.
Blair - 20-24 minutes per.
McDyess - 15-18 minutes per
Tolliver/Mahinmi - whatever is left over, second night of back-to-back

The Truth #6
04-12-2010, 03:50 PM
They might offer him a lowball contract but with several years? I feel like he was overpaid for this last contract. I could see Matt wanting to stay as a Spur if he got enough years. But, most athletes don't want to take a paycut. The market will probably determine his price, not what they Spurs offer in the beginning.

But who really knows how this will play out. He will be on the backburner while they figure out other transactions first, and if those don't work out then bringing Bonner back will probably become more of a necessity.

boutons_deux
04-12-2010, 04:00 PM
"kick his worthless ass to the curb"

... which isn't very useful if you want him thrown under the bus.

BillMc
04-12-2010, 04:10 PM
I think Bonner is a valuable player to the team. At times because of need he has been over-used, but a big that can hit 3's has his uses. Think of him as a destitute man's Dirk.

I'd like him on the club.

vander
04-12-2010, 04:18 PM
:lol

Care to explain how the Spurs chances are better without Manu?

I can link to the thread where I explained a few times how the Spurs will not win a title with manu's new deal, but you were there and didn't read it then, so... :lol

also, I'm not arguing that the spurs aren't better with manu than without (for a short while longer anyways), in an otherwise static reality, that's the lamest pro-player argument, the Knicks are a better team with McGrady on the floor, does that mean they should extend his 20+ million contract? :lmao

you are being stunningly obtuse, I try mightily to never resort to "you're an idiot!" but you're pushing me, I'm running out of other plausible explanations for your words

superjames1992
04-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Popovich's system likes a three-point shooter at the 4 position coming off the bench (remember we had Robert Horry in years past), so I think we very well may see him back.

I'd like to see him back, assuming he doesn't cost too much. He's not a guy I want starting necessarily, but at 15-20 minutes per game coming off the bench, he's pretty good.

angelbelow
04-12-2010, 05:37 PM
3 years for 9 million is a fair contract. his skill set hasnt improved that much but he gives nice effort. so i would say the exact same contract of 3 mil a year is fair for bonner.

androck
04-12-2010, 06:32 PM
3 years for 9 million is a fair contract. his skill set hasnt improved that much but he gives nice effort. so i would say the exact same contract of 3 mil a year is fair for bonner.

Matt Bonner's baby hook off the dribble is new this year so I wouldn't say he hasn't improved. There is almost certainly a GM in the NBA that will pay more for Bonner than the Spurs can afford to with the luxury tax. Bonner is 8th in the NBA in adjusted plus/minus and has a WP48 in the 0.150-0.200 range (0.100 is average). Any GM (and fan) who cares at all about advanced statistical analysis would love him on their team, even at 4-5 million a year.

vander
04-12-2010, 10:33 PM
we must extend Bonner now!!!!

Spurs FO needs to be consistent, they gave Manu the max they could, regardless of what he did in the playoffs last year, regardless of what he will do in the playoffs this year, and regardless of his market value.

therefore Bonner deserves the same consideration, and should be offered a 4 year, 20 million dollar extention

after all, how are the Spurs better without Bonner?

ElNono
04-12-2010, 10:38 PM
:lmao

ducks
04-12-2010, 10:57 PM
if manu is wotrh over 10
booner is worth the mle

Borosai
04-13-2010, 01:25 AM
$18 million per. At least. Maybe more. Maybe a lot more.

200 miles
04-13-2010, 01:33 AM
$18 million per. At least. Maybe more. Maybe a lot more.

22+ points and change with stifling defense against the ELITE teams: yes

14 points and change with mediocre defense against the lowly Wolves: NO

Baseline
04-13-2010, 02:18 AM
Look at all the cash we wasted this year overpaying players.

Finley - 2.5M
Mason - 3.75M
RJ - 14M

Or the money we wasted by not playing capable players.

Mahinmi - 900K
Ratliff - 1.1M

That's 22M we paid all these guys. And I blame Popovich for every dime. He brought them in here, yet he played guys he should have sat, and sat guys he should have played.

In my opinion, if Mahinmi and Ratliff had gotten more minutes, we'd be a legit title threat right now.

DMX7
04-13-2010, 03:11 AM
In my opinion, if Mahinmi and Ratliff had gotten more minutes, we'd be a legit title threat right now.

lol

superjames1992
04-13-2010, 07:00 AM

LOL, LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :downspin:

EricB
04-13-2010, 07:06 AM
:lol Yeah Ian Mahinmi and Theo Ratliff are the missing pieces no question :lmao

benefactor
04-13-2010, 07:14 AM
Bonner has turned into a decent role player and it will be difficult for the Spurs to hold on to him. As Bruno pointed out, Manu's contract has plunged the Spurs in to pretty deep tax territory which will limit what they can offer, especially if Splitter signs in the offseason. He would easily be worth 3.5-4 million a season for a team looking for a shooting big that makes over 40% of his threes and brings good energy off the bench.

We will see how it plays out...but in light of all these circumstances I have pretty serious doubts about him returning next season.

TJastal
04-13-2010, 07:24 AM
Bonner has turned into a decent role player and it will be difficult for the Spurs to hold on to him. As Bruno pointed out, Manu's contract has plunged the Spurs in to pretty deep tax territory which will limit what they can offer, especially if Splitter signs in the offseason. He would easily be worth 3.5-4 million a season for a team looking for a shooting big that makes over 40% of his threes and brings good energy off the bench.

We will see how it plays out...but in light of all these circumstances I have pretty serious doubts about him returning next season.

Splitter is going to ask for 9-10m a year so yah, bye-bye Matt

coyotes_geek
04-13-2010, 07:27 AM
If Splitter asks for 9-10 mil, it's hello Matt because the Spurs can't offer Splitter that much money.

TJastal
04-13-2010, 07:30 AM
If Splitter asks for 9-10 mil, it's hello Matt because the Spurs can't offer Splitter that much money.

why not? He's not on the rookie scale anymore

coyotes_geek
04-13-2010, 07:53 AM
He's not, but that doesn't mean the Spurs suddenly have 9-10 mil of cap space. MLE is as high as the Spurs can go.

TJastal
04-13-2010, 07:58 AM
He's not, but that doesn't mean the Spurs suddenly have 9-10 mil of cap space. MLE is as high as the Spurs can go.

Okay, well then you should have said the spurs "won't" offer that much $$$ not "can't"

coyotes_geek
04-13-2010, 08:07 AM
Okay, well then you should have said the spurs "won't" offer that much $$$ not "can't"

Why? It's a fact that the Spurs can't offer Splitter 9-10 mil, even if they wanted to.

mountainballer
04-13-2010, 08:08 AM

Jesus, what's so hard to understand?
they CAN'T offer that much.
they CAN only offer the MLE.
this are the CBA rules. end of story.

raspsa
04-13-2010, 08:16 AM
I think if Bonner performs well this POs, then that might change the attitude of many about his value to the Spurs. But unfortunately there will always be some who can never be convinced.

TDMVPDPOY
04-13-2010, 08:58 AM
theres not much we can do when we are over the cap

gettin rid of him or rj, we only have MLE and minimum to play with only...

mountainballer
04-13-2010, 09:15 AM
yeah POs.
year by year people seem to forget that Bonner's career PO record is an absolute disaster.
probably he is the guy with the worst drop from RS performance to PO performance ever.
(16 career PO games, 1.6 PPG, 27% FG, 23% 3s down from 6.7 PPG on 47% FG and 41% 3s)

Bonner is a great guy, who delivers some decent things and who fits nice with the Spurs overall style.
but as long as this guy turns into the basketball version of a brick factory come PO time, we don't need to discuss if he should either be extended or if he is undervalued on this board.

his future depends on Splitter anyhow. if Splitter can't be signed, he has very good chance to get 2-3 more years on 3 million per. if Splitter is signed, Spurs might still try to keep Bonner, but very likely they won't offer more than 2 years on 2M per. maybe give him a PO for the 2nd year.
(ironically the tandem of Splitter and Bonner might work pretty well together)

Bonner won't get the really big offers on the FA market. I really can't see any team pay him more than 3 M per.

btw. IMO Bonner has done pretty well financially in his career till now. about 15 million (including Europe play) are not bad for a former #45 pick with very limited athleticism and overall skills. when all is said and done he will have pocketed about 20M. that's not to shabby. and reportedly Matt is the biggest penny-pincher outside of Scotland. so he will do well in his future, even without another big NBA contract.

bigfan
04-13-2010, 09:18 AM
If Boner has to go to make way for Spitter, so be it.

Penya
04-13-2010, 09:21 AM
If we don't sign Bonner, I think that Spurs should make an offer to Mirza Teletovic.

mountainballer
04-13-2010, 10:22 AM
If we don't sign Bonner, I think that Spurs should make an offer to Mirza Teletovic.

Teletovic definitely is an interesting player and could work nice in the Bonner role, but as far as I know he has signed a contract with Vitoria till 2014.
so even if there is a buy out clause, if Spurs sign Splitter, there won't be enough money form the MLE left, to offer a contract big enough for salary and buy out I assume.

sandman
04-13-2010, 10:27 AM
His +/- stats make him invaluable to the team.

TDMVPDPOY
04-13-2010, 10:43 AM
bonner is a good fit on team that can create for him...trade his ass

Johnny RIngo
04-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Splitter is going to ask for 9-10m a year so yah, bye-bye Matt

Splitter hasn't proven shit to be worth 10 million.

Penya
04-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Teletovic definitely is an interesting player and could work nice in the Bonner role, but as far as I know he has signed a contract with Vitoria till 2014.
so even if there is a buy out clause, if Spurs sign Splitter, there won't be enough money form the MLE left, to offer a contract big enough for salary and buy out I assume.

I think he won't be in Vitoria until 2014. Caja Laboral has some financial issues and his salary is really high for them (~1.5M€)

lurker23
04-13-2010, 01:46 PM
yeah POs.
year by year people seem to forget that Bonner's career PO record is an absolute disaster.
probably he is the guy with the worst drop from RS performance to PO performance ever.
(16 career PO games, 1.6 PPG, 27% FG, 23% 3s down from 6.7 PPG on 47% FG and 41% 3s)

Bonner is a great guy, who delivers some decent things and who fits nice with the Spurs overall style.
but as long as this guy turns into the basketball version of a brick factory come PO time, we don't need to discuss if he should either be extended or if he is undervalued on this board.

I still think Bonner's sample size in the playoffs is far too small. In 10 of those 16 games he played 6 minutes or less. As much as I like Matty, if he lays an absolute egg in these playoffs, I say you let him walk, pretty much no matter what the price tag is or what happens with Splitter. However, until we actually see him in another playoff series (hopefully 2, or 3, or 4...), I think the jury is very much out on whether Bonner can play in the post-season.

jjktkk
04-13-2010, 01:52 PM

Uhoh, KBP is that you?

Penya
04-13-2010, 02:26 PM
Uhoh, KBP is that you?

Hell, no:nope

Spurs Brazil
04-13-2010, 03:22 PM
I know it's difficult (almost impossible) but I'd like to see Bonner and Tiago with the same contracts

3years $9 Million

vander
04-13-2010, 03:32 PM
we need to move McDyess

then we can sign Bonner, Splitter, and Mahinmi and actually have minutes for them.

manu the best
04-13-2010, 07:38 PM

Agree ..

phxspurfan
04-13-2010, 08:46 PM
Splitter hasn't proven shit to be worth 10 million.

Yeah, he better be damn good in the NBA to ask for that kind of money.

Manufan909
04-14-2010, 09:14 AM
I know it's difficult (almost impossible) but I'd like to see Bonner and Tiago with the same contracts

3years $9 Million

That'd be hilarious. I hope Splitter isn't like that one Lithuanian, and is offended he might have to earn minutes cuz the Spurs have 4 other bigs to start with (Tim, Blair, Bonner/Dice, Dice/Ian). Having 4 bigs overall might be risky, but if that happens, I hope the Spurs end up with TD, TS, IM, and DJB.

Having checked on Anthony Tolliver, he went 9-41 with the Spurs (23%), to 15-150 (33%) with the Warriors from deep. Idk what his avg from 3 was in the DL (or Hairston's for that matter) but if Hairston can similarly increase his 3FG percentage so drastically, I don't think Bonner needs to stay. Even if Pop doesn't need a stretch 4, Idk if there are enough 3pt bombers on this team. There's Manu (38%), Hill (40%), Gee (7-9 as a Wizard), Temple (39% this year), and that's it. Hopefully I didn't forget anyone, but with almost no one on contract for next season, I doubt I did. And for the record, I'm assuming Mason doesn't get resigned. I also don't believe Gee and Temple can be relied upon with such a small sample size to be trusted for next year, but we'll see.

P.S. I'm too lazy to check anything other than nba.com:p:

Johnny RIngo
04-14-2010, 10:42 AM
That'd be hilarious. I hope Splitter isn't like that one Lithuanian, and is offended he might have to earn minutes cuz the Spurs have 4 other bigs to start with (Tim, Blair, Bonner/Dice, Dice/Ian). Having 4 bigs overall might be risky, but if that happens, I hope the Spurs end up with TD, TS, IM, and DJB.

I'm not getting my hopes up about Splitter. There's a good chance he might not even come over, and even if he does, there's always the possibility that he ends up a bust.

Duncan2177
04-14-2010, 12:31 PM
The spurs need a defensive bigman. Bonner is soft