PDA

View Full Version : Spurs, Thunder, Trailblazers - end of season

Mavs<Spurs
04-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Obviously, we don't want to finish in 8th and have to face the Lakers.
It would also definitely be to our benefit if we did not have to play Dallas
because they do present match-up problems for us.

If we lose to Dallas, then OKC must lose 2 games or Portland must lose 2 games or we finish in 8th and must face the Lakers.

OKC has one less loss than we do. Portland owns the tiebreaker against us. They have the same amount of losses that we do, but they have one fewer win right now. This is part of the reason why Hubie, Doug and other former and current coaches only focus on the loss side of records. Losses can not be made up. They are set.

Our record is now 49 wins 31 losses.
OKC has a record of 49 wins 30 losses.
Portland has a record of 48 wins 31 losses.

We did beat LA soundly in LA. They lacked Bynum, but we lacked Tony Parker. Prior to Hill's injury, I did feel that we were playing the best basketball of any team in the league. Nevertheless, I don't think that we match up well with LA nor with Dallas. I'm not saying that we couldn't beat them in a 7 game series, but with the disruption due to Hill's injury and Tony's reemergence, I would see us as underdogs in both series, despite the improvement in our play.

Sunday: Portland plays LA in LA. LA has already earned hca throughout the Western Conference Playoffs. Kobe may rest. Portland may get this game by default, esp since they will be motivated to not have to play LA in the first round.

Sunday: OKC at Golden State. After their recent losses, OKC will be motivated to take it out on the Warriors. That and not wanting to play the Lakers make me believe that OKC will win this game.

Monday:
We play Minnesota on Monday at our place.
Despite Al Jefferson and Kevin Love, we should win this game.

Monday:
OKC is playing Portland in Portland on Monday.
This works in our favor. It gives us one game that will enable us
to avoid the Lakers if we win out.
I think OKC is the better team. So, I expect OKC to beat Portland in Portland on Monday.

Wednesday:
We play Dallas in Dallas. I have no idea how the second through fifth seeding will be at that time. That may affect whether or not Dallas plays Dirk and their starters major minutes or rests them. Dallas is only 6-4 in their last ten games, so they have been quite beatable.

GSW is playing at Portland. Portland should get this one.

Memphis is playing at OKC. Memphis may not have the motivation to play them tough. OKC has good reasons to make sure that this win this one. OKC should win.

Obstructed_View
04-10-2010, 11:18 PM

Lakers are playing like shit lately and will have a rusty Andrew Bynum for the first two games of the playoffs which gives the Spurs an excellent chance to steal one or both of them. Why exactly wouldn't the Spurs want to face the Lakers?

spursfan1000
04-10-2010, 11:20 PM
I mean I woulden't mind playing Lakers as much other Spurs fans do. Im rooting for the Spurs to play Utah in first round.

NuGGeTs-FaN
04-10-2010, 11:22 PM
I agree, best time to play the Lakers is now.

Mavs<Spurs
04-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Lakers are playing like shit lately and will have a rusty Andrew Bynum for the first two games of the playoffs which gives the Spurs an excellent chance to steal one or both of them. Why exactly wouldn't the Spurs want to face the Lakers?

Lakers have not been playing well lately. But their length (Gasol, Bynum, Odom) makes things really difficult for us. They are a much better team and a much more talented team than they have shown lately. Their play is down now because of a lack of motivation / rationale to play well. Expect their play to improve in the playoffs. They can't turn it on and off, but their intensity will escalate. Their execution will improve rapidly in the playoffs.

Mavs<Spurs
04-10-2010, 11:25 PM

Also, the 17 point (or was it 19) beating that we hung on them in LA recently will be fresh on their minds.

honestfool84
04-10-2010, 11:26 PM
Lakers have not been playing well lately. But their length (Gasol, Bynum, Odom) makes things really difficult for us. They are a much better team and a much more talented team than they have shown lately. Their play is down now because of a lack of motivation / rationale to play well. Expect their play to improve in the playoffs. They can't turn it on and off, but their intensity will escalate. Their execution will improve rapidly in the playoffs.

i like what Pop did against LA last week, playing Bonner on Artest i believe. that really canceled out that matchup problem.

i'm for playing LA first round. we're gonna have to play them, might as well play them when we're fresh.

senorglory
04-10-2010, 11:27 PM
I agree, best time to play the Lakers is now.

No offense, Nuggets-Fan, but if tonight is any kind of measure, this may be the best time to play the Nuggets.

spursfan1000
04-10-2010, 11:29 PM
i like what Pop did against LA last week, playing Bonner on Artest i believe. that really canceled out that matchup problem.

i'm for playing LA first round. we're gonna have to play them, might as well play them when we're fresh.

Playing Bonner on Artest is a terrible matchup. Artest is so big and quick he can get past Bonner any time he wants. Bonner is really a liability on defense against anyone.

Frenzy
04-10-2010, 11:29 PM
my money is on portland losing to the lakers and okc.

ducks
04-10-2010, 11:30 PM
if hill is back
lakers in the first round is great
more days in between games
more rest for OLD MANU

Mavs<Spurs
04-10-2010, 11:31 PM
BTW, if we win out, we are guaranteed to be no worse than the seventh seed since one of OKC / Portland must lose at least one game (since they play each other).

:flag:

So, if we just take care of our business, we should be in good shape.

Mavs<Spurs
04-10-2010, 11:32 PM

I agree.

:toast

Mavs<Spurs
04-10-2010, 11:35 PM
Playing Bonner on Artest is a terrible matchup. Artest is so big and quick he can get past Bonner any time he wants. Bonner is really a liability on defense against anyone.

It's like Sheed said, "Just give the ball to whomever Bonner is guarding." Commentators on a recent Spurs game that I watched through league pass said the same thing. It's not a secret.

spurtech09
04-10-2010, 11:41 PM
lets just win them all.....whoever the spurs land man up....

raspsa
04-10-2010, 11:41 PM
I don't care who the Spurs meet. Just play the next games to win, to build confidence, trust and cohesion, not because of seeding in the POs.

Spurs16212
04-11-2010, 12:51 AM
If you want to be the best you have to beat the best..... Build momentum now and it shouldn't matter who we face at any point in the playoffs..... If the Spurs dont bring their "A" game they will be going fishing......

Obstructed_View
04-11-2010, 01:02 AM

The Spurs have some guys (Bonner, Blair) that could play a three in a big lineup and still be quick enough to defend the Lakers' front line. The Spurs' guards are going to feast on the rest of the Lakers. It's not nearly as bad a matchup as people think. If Pop decides to go small and nobody lets on to Kobe that Keith Bogans isn't a good defender, I really like the Spurs' chances of catching LA napping.

crc21209
04-11-2010, 03:25 AM
All we know right now is that the Spurs can finish anywhere from 6th to 8th and our 1st round matchup will be against either the Lakers, Mavs, Nuggets, or Jazz....so it's basically pick your poison...

kace
04-11-2010, 03:28 AM
The Spurs have some guys (Bonner, Blair) that could play a three in a big lineup and still be quick enough to defend the Lakers' front line. The Spurs' guards are going to feast on the rest of the Lakers. It's not nearly as bad a matchup as people think. If Pop decides to go small and nobody lets on to Kobe that Keith Bogans isn't a good defender, I really like the Spurs' chances of catching LA napping.

well, the idea of Blair defending Odom isn't very pleasant for me............

jason1301
04-11-2010, 03:48 AM
I am up for playing the lakers. Denver is not going to finish 2nd the way they play, but I could be wrong. I 'd like that match up, but I don't think its happening. The other possibility is Utah, we haven't beat them this year, so I 'd rather have the lakers.

The lakers have the worst bench in the whole NBA, if Hill is back by then. We are going to own their second unit easily. We also own them at the PG position. Kobe, Pau, Ron, and Odom will have to play big minutes and be really sharp to beat us.

jason1301
04-11-2010, 03:50 AM

Odom always plays well against us. Maybe Dice could slow him down, that would be big for us.

rascal
04-11-2010, 10:06 AM

Portland beats OKC.

silverblk mystix
04-11-2010, 10:15 AM
Odom always plays well against us. Maybe Dice could slow him down, that would be big for us.

did you guys NOT watch the last time the spurs beat the lakers...

RJ controlled/neutralized Odumb---hell he abused him

bonner actually did a decent job on artest...

watch the game again and you will see that pop figured out what the laker advantages HAD been---

Dice was also big in giving TD some help and was a beast in rebounding---especially in key moments....

the lakers are very beatable

rascal
04-11-2010, 10:17 AM
did you guys NOT watch the last time the spurs beat the lakers...

RJ controlled/neutralized Odumb---hell he abused him

bonner actually did a decent job on artest...

watch the game again and you will see that pop figured out what the laker advantages HAD been---

Dice was also big in giving TD some help and was a beast in rebounding---especially in key moments....

the lakers are very beatable

Forget about it. Not by the spurs.

SpursFan0728
04-11-2010, 10:18 AM
I think lakers will go full strength vs. Portland. Among the 3 teams, lakers prefer to play Spurs last. By beating portland, spurs will very unlikely finish in 8th (Since spurs have a tie breaker over thunder)

will be very interesting to see how this plays out...but imo Thunder vs Lakers in first round is quite epic

silverblk mystix
04-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Forget about it. Not by the spurs.

I WILL remember this...

and bump it when it happens...

can't believe how spurs fans tend to believe so much....in the LAKERS.

Obstructed_View
04-11-2010, 10:25 AM

No, because usually Blair has only one other big on the floor with him (and half the time the other big is Bonner). If you put him in there with Duncan and McDyess behind him, it's not nearly as bad a matchup. As was mentioned, RJ can also be thrown at Odom for as long as it remains successful.

thispego
04-11-2010, 10:32 AM

:lmao

8FOR!3
04-11-2010, 11:03 AM
It's like Sheed said, "Just give the ball to whomever Bonner is guarding." Commentators on a recent Spurs game that I watched through league pass said the same thing. It's not a secret.

It's like I said, "just put Bonner on Sheed on defense and it will cancel out."

NRHector
04-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Fuck the Lakers and Mavs, why are you people so scared of them? the Lakers are beatable and the Mavs haven't played a healthy Spurs team the whole season so until I see the final game I still believe the Spurs can go to the Finals, Have some faith

jack0fspeed
04-11-2010, 11:31 AM
Wednesday:
We play Dallas in Dallas. I have no idea how the second through fifth seeding will be at that time. That may affect whether or not Dallas plays Dirk and their starters major minutes or rests them. Dallas is only 6-4 in their last ten games, so they have been quite beatable.

The Mavs will very likely be playing for the #2 seed in that game. They'll be motivated to win it.

silverblk mystix
04-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Fuck the Lakers and Mavs, why are you people so scared of them? the Lakers are beatable and the Mavs haven't played a healthy Spurs team the whole season so until I see the final game I still believe the Spurs can go to the Finals, Have some faith

I am with you...

it is leaving me with a completely disgusting feeling with my fellow spurs fans...

no swagger---no confidence---no faith---

all you hear is...

we HAVE to AVOID the lakers...blah-blah

we gotta get the 6 or 7th seed---blah-blah

we have no chance against the lakers....blah-blah

we are getting swept by the lakers....parker is NOT ready....bynum will be back....

laker frontline destroys us....pop is owned by PJ...kobe this--kobe that...lamar odom is a mismatch blah-blah...

on & on & on.....

FUCK!

grow a pair of balls already....

where is the NO-LIMIT COMMANDER ALREADY....

someone fire up the fucking pussy fanbase

FUCK THE LAKERS!

bring them on ----they are OVERRATED....

NRHector
04-11-2010, 12:07 PM
I am with you...

it is leaving me with a completely disgusting feeling with my fellow spurs fans...

no swagger---no confidence---no faith---

all you hear is...

we HAVE to AVOID the lakers...blah-blah

we gotta get the 6 or 7th seed---blah-blah

we have no chance against the lakers....blah-blah

we are getting swept by the lakers....parker is NOT ready....bynum will be back....

laker frontline destroys us....pop is owned by PJ...kobe this--kobe that...lamar odom is a mismatch blah-blah...

on & on & on.....

FUCK!

grow a pair of balls already....

where is the NO-LIMIT COMMANDER ALREADY....

someone fire up the fucking pussy fanbase

FUCK THE LAKERS!

bring them on ----they are OVERRATED....and I want the Mavs in the first round, kind of a pay back from last year, the Spurs can win the series

nadroj117
04-11-2010, 12:25 PM
It would also definitely be to our benefit if we did not have to play Dallas
because they do present match-up problems for us.

If we lose to Dallas, then OKC must lose 2 games or Portland must lose 2 games or we finish in 8th and must face the Lakers.

OKC has one less loss than we do. Portland owns the tiebreaker against us. They have the same amount of losses that we do, but they have one fewer win right now. This is part of the reason why Hubie, Doug and other former and current coaches only focus on the loss side of records. Losses can not be made up. They are set.

Our record is now 49 wins 31 losses.
OKC has a record of 49 wins 30 losses.
Portland has a record of 48 wins 31 losses.

We did beat LA soundly in LA. They lacked Bynum, but we lacked Tony Parker. Prior to Hill's injury, I did feel that we were playing the best basketball of any team in the league. Nevertheless, I don't think that we match up well with LA nor with Dallas. I'm not saying that we couldn't beat them in a 7 game series, but with the disruption due to Hill's injury and Tony's reemergence, I would see us as underdogs in both series, despite the improvement in our play.

Sunday: Portland plays LA in LA. LA has already earned hca throughout the Western Conference Playoffs. Kobe may rest. Portland may get this game by default, esp since they will be motivated to not have to play LA in the first round.

Sunday: OKC at Golden State. After their recent losses, OKC will be motivated to take it out on the Warriors. That and not wanting to play the Lakers make me believe that OKC will win this game.

Monday:
We play Minnesota on Monday at our place.
Despite Al Jefferson and Kevin Love, we should win this game.

Monday:
OKC is playing Portland in Portland on Monday.
This works in our favor. It gives us one game that will enable us
to avoid the Lakers if we win out.
I think OKC is the better team. So, I expect OKC to beat Portland in Portland on Monday.

Wednesday:

GSW is playing at Portland. Portland should get this one.

Memphis is playing at OKC. Memphis may not have the motivation to play them tough. OKC has good reasons to make sure that this win this one. OKC should win.

The way I see it is Dallas wraps up the #2 seed with a victory tonight against the Clips. Seeds 3-5 will still be up in the air with Phx playing both Utah and Denver still. Although no one scares me right now, of course if you can it'd be nice to avoid LA and Dallas in the first round. I'm very curious how teams are going to be resting their players to avoid playing a certain team.

OKC- 49-30
SA-49-31
Portland- 48-31

What we Know: Spurs owns tiebreaker over OKC
Portland owns tiebreaker over Spurs
If Portland beats OKC on Monday they win the tiebreaker, if they lose they lose the tiebreaker because of divisional record

What we Need:

To get the 6th seed we need have a better record than Portland, and AT LEAST the same record as OKC.

Sunday - Lakers vs Portland: If Portland beats LA than we drop down to 8th this evening. Does LA sit Kobe or rest anyone? Is LA looking at records at all? They have struggled against Portland in the Rose Garden for years, but who would they rather play, Spurs or Portland? I'm hoping LA comes out and tries to right the ship and beat Portland.

Monday - OKC vs Portland: If all 3 teams take care of their "Should Win" games (Memphis, GS, Minny), than the Spurs MUST have Portland beat OKC on Monday night to have any chance at the 6th seed.

Wed- Spurs vs Mavs: By this time the Mavs will most likely have already wrapped up the #2 seed so their positioning won't matter with a win or loss. If Portland or OKC were to win out, than the Mavs would need to win this game to avoid the Spurs in the 1st round, and would put the Spurs as the 8th seed.

There are still a ton of different scenarios that could play out with upsets by teams like Memphis or Golden State. But the best Case for the Spurs to get the 6th seed would be for a Lakers win over Portland. And a Portland win over OKC. Either way we need to take care of business.

nadroj117
04-11-2010, 12:28 PM
The Mavs will very likely be playing for the #2 seed in that game. They'll be motivated to win it.

Mavs will have wrapped up the #2 seed with a win over the Clippers or a Denver loss to Memphis. My bet is they wrap it up tonight and seeding for them won't matter

jack0fspeed
04-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Mavs will have wrapped up the #2 seed with a win over the Clippers or a Denver loss to Memphis. My bet is they wrap it up tonight and seeding for them won't matter

No.

Utah has the head-to-head tie breaker on the Mavs. So if the Jazz win out and Denver loses a game, Utah wins that division and has the tie breaker.

Denver plays @ MEM on Monday then @ PHX on Tuesday. They could easily lose one of those games.

Utah plays @ GSW on Tuesday then at home against PHX on Wednesday. The Jazz likely win these two.

So if Utah wins out and Denver loses a game, the Mavs will be ahead of Utah by one game (assuming the beat the Clippers) and Utah has the tie breaker.

Dallas will have to beat the Spurs to keep the #2 seed.

edit: Actually the only way for the #2 seed to be settled by Wednesday is for Denver to win out.

TD 21
04-11-2010, 09:14 PM
I'm not sitting here rooting for the Spurs to get the Lakers, but I'm not quivering in fear either.

- Even if Bynum is back, his history of missing significant time with injuries and looking anything close to resembling the player he was pre-injury is less than good. He could easily be totally out of sync and tentative, just like he was the other two times.

- Bryant, at this writing, is not as good a player as Ginobili. It he get's an off season of rest and recovery and has his minutes/work load managed next season, I suspect he will be better than Ginobili again, but right now, he's not.

- Bryant is clearly physically worn down, even two games off did virtually nothing to change that, which tells you it's not the type of fatigue that a few days off will solve, it's the type that comes from having a ton of mileage, playing an insane amount of basketball over a three year span and needing an extended off season off.

- The Spurs easily trump the Lakers in terms of depth and guard play.

- True, the game is usually won in the paint, but the Spurs back court advantage might be equal, if not greater, than the Lakers big man advantage (depending on Bynum).

- Even at their best, the Lakers struggle covering quick, pick-and-roll oriented, penetrating guards. The Spurs just so happen to have three of these.

- The Spurs look like the fresher team and they're definitely playing better and have been for more than a while.

All this being said, I'd still favor the Lakers and I'd be somewhat surprised if the Spurs won, but would I be shocked or stunned? Absolutely not.

As for the Mavs, they're not nearly as tough a match-up for the Spurs as many think. Sure, they're better equipped to guard Duncan than ever with Haywood/Dampier, but those two aren't exactly Gasol/Bynum, meaning they won't hurt Blair/Bonner at the rim as consistently because they're not as good of scorers as Gasol/Bynum.

This is an even series. In fact, statistically the Spurs are a better team and I'd expect them to win this series. It's not a near given or a guarantee obviously, but I wouldn't even be somewhat surprised if they won this series.

iManu
04-11-2010, 09:33 PM
Give us the fucking Fakers now, so they don't get to see how we can be exploited by the Mavs in the first round.

:toast

DPG21920
04-11-2010, 09:42 PM
People never learn. A lot of you sound very similar to last year when you were asking for the Mavs.

NRHector
04-11-2010, 09:59 PM
People never learn. A lot of you sound very similar to last year when you were asking for the Mavs.with a healthy team this year could be different from last year, last year we didn't have a full team and this year we have younger players.

the crimson blur
04-11-2010, 10:10 PM
with a healthy team this year could be different from last year, last year we didn't have a full team and this year we have younger players.

We don't have a healthy team this year. In fact, our team is arguably more injured.

Boss
04-11-2010, 10:18 PM
The Warriors r trying to do the Spurs a big favor: Up 102 to 99 vs OKC w/ about 5min to play.

TD 21
04-11-2010, 10:35 PM
People never learn. A lot of you sound very similar to last year when you were asking for the Mavs.

I guess we'll just ignore the vastly different state and personnel that the Spurs are entering this post season with, compared to last post season.

tp2021
04-11-2010, 10:46 PM
GS beat OKC just now

Mavs<Spurs
04-11-2010, 11:06 PM
If we win out, we will get at least the seventh seed.

Mavs<Spurs
04-12-2010, 02:56 AM
Monday:

OKC vs Portland in Portland arena

SA vs Minnesota in SA arena (AT&T Arena)

Scenario 1: OKC wins and SA wins. OKC becomes 50-31, Trailblazers become 49-32, Spurs become 50-31. Spurs are in 6th seed and retain it with a win in Dallas.

Scenario 2: Portland wins and SA wins. Portland's record becomes 50-31, OKC's record becomes 49 wins 32 losses. Spurs' record becomes 50-31. Spurs are guaranteed no worse than 7th seed. If Spurs beat Dallas and GSW beats Portland (on Wed), then Spurs get 6th seed. Else, Spurs get 7th seed.

Scenario 3: OKC wins and Spurs lose. OKC record becomes 50-31. Trailblazers record becomes 49 wins 32 losses. Spurs record becomes 49 wins and 32 losses. Spurs enter 8th place. If either GSW loses or Portland loses and Spurs win, Spurs sneak into 7th place and avoid the Lakers.

Scenario 4: Portland wins and SA loses. Portland's record becomes 50-31, OKC's record becomes 49 wins 32 losses. Spurs' record becomes 49 wins 32 losses. Spurs enter 7th spot. If OKC wins their last game and Spurs lose their last game, Spurs record becomes 49 wins 33 losses and they find themselves in eighth place, facing the Lakers in the first round. Else, Spurs enter playoffs in 7th spot (either an OKC loss or a Spurs win puts them in 7th spot and they can't overtake Portland since even a win against Dallas and a Portland loss results in both teams having a 50 win 32 loss season - with Portland holding the tiebreaker against the Spurs).

Wednesday:

GSW vs Portland in Portland arena

Memphis vs OKC in OKC arena

SA vs Dallas in Dallas arena (American Airlines Center)

Otaku
04-12-2010, 03:25 AM
Blazers will go 2-0, OKC 1-1 and the spurs 2-0 or 1-1 depending on dallas securing the 2nd spot before wednesday or not.

ffadicted
04-12-2010, 03:38 AM
No matter what happens, spurs are gonna play dallas

NRHector
05-01-2010, 12:02 PM
bump for the infidels