PDA

View Full Version : McDyess Says There's a Good Chance He'll Retire After Next Season

duncan228
04-11-2010, 12:47 AM
McDyess Says There's a Good Chance He'll Retire After Next Season (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/04/11/mcdyess-says-theres-a-good-chance-hell-retire-after-next-seaso/)
By Chris Tomasson

DENVER -- Antonio McDyess is under contract through 2011-12. But he might not be around to see the end of that deal.

The San Antonio big man said in an interview with FanHouse before Saturday's game at Denver there's a good chance next season will be his last in the NBA.

"Next year, definitely," McDyess, 35, said of playing a 16th NBA season in 2010-11. "Then it's really going to be tough (to keep playing). It's been tough on my body just playing. That would be 17 years (if McDyess fulfilled the life of his contract) ... Personally, I don't think I'll have it after next year. Just the get up about myself playing ... My odds are no (about playing beyond next season).''

McDyess, who signed with the Spurs last summer as a free agent and is averaging 5.8 points and 5.9 rebounds, is making $4.5 million this season and due to earn $4.86 million next season. He's under contract for $5.22 million for 2011-12, but said only $2.5 million of that is guaranteed.

McDyess originally was under contract to make $6.8 million this season, but that deal was torn up, along with the $6.8 million McDyess was due last season, after he was traded from Detroit to Denver in November 2008. McDyess didn't want to play for the Nuggets and agreed to a total buyout of $6 million.

McDyess then re-signed with Detroit for a minimum salary, getting about $1 million more for last season. Considering the roughly $7.5 million McDyess lost in his buyout, the money he recouped last season from Detroit and the $4.5 million he got for this season from the Spurs, McDyess lost about $2 million.

But he doesn't view it that way.

"I lost a little bit (of money),'' said McDyess, who had five points and nine rebounds in San Antonio's 104-85 rout of the Nuggets. "But I thought honestly I was going to retire after this year. So I feel that I made it up in the market because I'm going to play another year. That's how I look at it.

"So I'm going another year. I'm just thinking that, if I had played out (the original contract that expired after this season), wasn't nobody going to sign me to another five-year deal at $5 million (a season). So getting out of the last year, the way I played (last season) and getting another two years, I thought that was good.''

McDyess has an Olympic gold medal and an All-Star appearance, but he's still missing a title ring. McDyess, whose Pistons lost in Game 7 of the 2005 NBA Finals to San Antonio, covets one but might not hang around after next season with just that in mind.

"I definitely want the ring,'' he said. "But, if I don't get it, I just feel I had a great career regardless.''

Count teammate Richard Jefferson as one who won't be surprised if McDyess walks away after next season. Jefferson wouldn't even be surprised if McDyess retired this summer.

"He doesn't want to play forever,'' Jefferson said. "He's been very fortunate to sign some large contracts in his career. And knowing him on a personal level it doesn't seem like (McDyess plays for the) money. He's playing right now for the love of the game. So he's not playing to get a paycheck or anything like that. He wanted to come here and play with a quality team and quality organization. ... I wouldn't be surprised if he quit after this year. You never know with him.''

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said he hasn't had any discussions with McDyess about his possible willingness to retire with money left on his contract. For now, Popovich is thrilled with what McDyess, who has been starting at center, has been able to provide the Spurs.

"He's a pro,'' Popovich said. "He's somebody that does his work and he goes home. He likes to work hard and he does it the right way. He's a classy guy. He's been a good teammate, and on the court he makes shots and he's a tough defender and rebounder. So he's been wonderful for us.''

After his work is done next season, McDyess might go home for good.

TinTin
04-11-2010, 12:49 AM
Dice is definitely a classy guy

Cane
04-11-2010, 12:55 AM
For some reason I can't help if Pop or some other locker room issue is at hand here especially after Finley and Mason's minutes drama. Maybe he doesn't like the demanding high-learning curve Spurs system even the neutered one being played nowadays. Or maybe he's just flat out tired and the Spurs haven't looked like genuine contenders most of the season.

All in all, a depressing read but age gets everyone. However if he does retire early it might honestly be in the Spurs favor if the market is right. Hopefully Tiago Splitter comes over and helps lighten the load for the veteran frontcourt.

Mel_13
04-11-2010, 12:57 AM
For some reason I can't help if Pop or some other locker room issue is at hand here especially after Finley and Mason's minutes drama. Maybe he doesn't like the demanding high-learning curve Spurs system even the neutered one being played nowadays. Or maybe he's just flat out tired and the Spurs haven't looked like genuine contenders most of the season.

All in all, a depressing read but age gets everyone. However if he does retire early it might honestly be in the Spurs favor if the market is right. Hopefully Tiago Splitter comes over and helps lighten the load for the veteran frontcourt.

He's talking about retiring after next season, not after this season.

Cane
04-11-2010, 01:04 AM
He's talking about retiring after next season, not after this season.

True, however Jefferson said he wouldn't be surprised if he quit after this year - does that mean this season? I'm pretty stoned so :hat

tp2021
04-11-2010, 01:15 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if he quit after this year. You never know with him.Is it just me or does this come off as harsh?

spurs10
04-11-2010, 01:46 AM
Dice is very cool....looked good tonight!

phyzik
04-11-2010, 02:01 AM
I really hope this team gets their shit together and gets this man his well deserved ring.

We stole it from him in 2005, we owe him one.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-11-2010, 02:43 AM
As anticipated.

carina_gino20
04-11-2010, 03:04 AM
If he does his part this playoffs, he might just get that ring. I hope he does.

crc21209
04-11-2010, 03:07 AM
As inconsistent as he has been all season, I want the Spurs to win a ring more for this guy than for anyone else on the team...he deserves it after all these years.

EricB
04-11-2010, 09:04 AM
Dyess showed last night how valuable during the playoffs he will be against quality bigs.

wildbill2u
04-11-2010, 09:58 AM
I'm just thinking that, if I had played out (the original contract that expired after this season), wasn't nobody going to sign me to another five-year deal at $5 million (a season). So getting out of the last year, the way I played (last season) and getting another two years, I thought that was good.''

And lucky for him.

"A man has to know his limitations." CLint Eastwood

easy7
04-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Win for Fin...2

Death In June
04-11-2010, 01:47 PM
It'd be nice if Dice could get his championship and then retire on that high. If RJ also decides to opt out of his contract next season, that frees up nearly 20 million and maybe the reemergence of a 2010 plan?

Ditty
04-11-2010, 02:07 PM
mcdyess has lived up to my expectations and like everyone says his post defense has been underrated and his offense rebounding has shocked me and of course that jumper could be deadily and consistent i wonder what spurs fans think why he was a disappointment but of course we as spurs fans think that players have to be consistent all 82 games of the season

ploto
04-11-2010, 02:26 PM
A partially guaranteed third year has always been the Spurs way of really signing someone for two years and giving them a little extra by buying out the third year.

Muser
04-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Sweet.

Harry Callahan
04-12-2010, 12:19 AM
"A man has to know his limitations." CLint Eastwood

Actually, that is my quote.

Not to mention this classic.......

"..... Did I shoot six shots or only five. After all this excitement I forgot myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, it would blow your head clean off. You have to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well do ya punk?"

Thanks to all my fans out there in Spurstalk land.