PDA

View Full Version : Who Should Be Wearing a Suit During Playoffs

roycrikside
04-11-2010, 01:54 AM
Okay, so we all know that you can only dress 12 guys during each playoff game. So who should be the odd man out wearing the suit?

ElNono
04-11-2010, 01:57 AM
http://assets.sbnation.com/imported_assets/10156/340x.jpg

Blackjack
04-11-2010, 02:03 AM
Winner, winner ...

http://www.discoverohio.com/graphics/listings/photos/6723_big_7232007102110.jpg

alchemist
04-11-2010, 02:03 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^

:lmao

Blackjack
04-11-2010, 02:05 AM
Although, there has been a rule change and you can rotate the suits . . .

SenorSpur
04-11-2010, 03:12 AM
Damn, I'm hungry all of a sudden.

ffadicted
04-11-2010, 03:16 AM
Malik has shown nothing special and we're too loaded on the backcourt/wings anyway

crc21209
04-11-2010, 03:21 AM
I would definitely be up for giving Mason's minutes to Temple right now no doubt...

jason1301
04-11-2010, 03:53 AM
Mason can get shoot lights out, Pop will play him limited minutes, and keep him in the game if he gets hot.

Ian on the other side, is essentially a rookie with zero playoff experience. I don't see how he can be a contributor.

Xevious
04-11-2010, 04:14 AM
Nobody listed up there except Parker is going to be part of the playoff rotation. So it doesn't matter who's dressed or not unless there are injuries or blowouts.

jimo2305
04-11-2010, 04:22 AM
did 2 ppl in their right mind vote for hairston?

DA FUCK IS WRONG WIT U!?

draft87
04-11-2010, 04:35 AM
Is Garrett Temple eligible for the playoffs?

I can't remember if we signed him before the deadline. I don't think we did and I'm pretty sure the deadline applies to D-League call-ups, right?

greyforest
04-11-2010, 05:20 AM
Is Garrett Temple eligible for the playoffs?

I can't remember if we signed him before the deadline. I don't think we did and I'm pretty sure the deadline applies to D-League call-ups, right?

someone said yes in a diff thread

jiggy_55
04-11-2010, 05:34 AM
Temple is eligible.

As for Hairston, I don't think he'll make it. We're loaded at the 2 and 3:

Manu, RJ, Hill, Bogans, Mason, Temple, Hairston

I know I know, Bogans and Mase suck. But Bogans will be used for defense, and Pop seems to believe Mason can still play and make some big shots. I'd rather Hairston over Mason, but the chance of this is 1%. Temple is making shots, playing with confidence and hitting 3's so I can see him getting spot minutes in the playoffs ahead of Hairston.

Thats 7 guys for 2 positions, and I think Pop would like to have the option of giving Mahinmi spot minutes becuz we're not that deep with our bigs.

So I'm forced to believe that Pop will leave Hairston or Mahinmi out. It looks more likely to be Hairston at this point.

G-Dawgg
04-11-2010, 06:02 AM
I think it should be Kobe...

FkLA
04-11-2010, 06:09 AM
Cant believe Mason is the winner in the poll, and by such a large margin. I know he hasnt been anywhere near as good as last year but god damn...

Personally I think it should be between Temple and Hairston and I would lean towards Hairston given the fact that we'd already have 4+ wing players ahead of him, whereas Temple can be our 3rd PG. Besides eople tend to overrate Hairston, I love his athleticism and at times his defense but his handles and shot are absolutely atrocious.

Supergirl
04-11-2010, 09:03 AM
Playoff roster will be: Tony, Manu, Tim, Dice, Bogans, Hill, Mason, Bonner, Hairston, Blair, Jefferson and...probably Temple. I am guessing this because of the playing time he's getting. But I think Ian's earned a chance to make the playoff roster, and Temple is likely to be green enough that he's not gonna give us much in his first playoffs.

EricB
04-11-2010, 09:16 AM
I love what temple brings. I think he can be a sparkplug off the bench in the playoffs taking roger masons spot. Temple really is neat to watch suprised Houston didn't keep him...

exstatic
04-11-2010, 09:18 AM
"Should" is subjective, and our opinions don't count, anyway.

Ladies and Gentlemen, your 2010 playoffs inactive list:
Mahinmi
Gee
Jerrels

Russ
04-11-2010, 09:35 AM
Wouldn't it depend on who the Spurs play?

The playoff roster could shift from round to round. Mahinmi might be inactive against everyone but the Lakers, for instance.

jiggy_55
04-11-2010, 09:39 AM

The playoff roster could shift from round to round. Mahinmi might be inactive against everyone but the Lakers, for instance.

Since when can you change rosters between each round???

Mel_13
04-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Since when can you change rosters between each round???

It's been at least two years. Changes can be made after each game just like in the regular season.

Mel_13
04-11-2010, 10:11 AM
The Spurs have 10 perimeter players and 5 bigs on the roster. They'll dress 7 perimeter players and 5 bigs for the playoffs.

So all 5 bigs will dress. No way Ian is in a suit.

Prior to the Hill injury, it was very easy to predict which three perimeter would watch from behind the bench and that would be Temple, Jerrells, and Gee. Assuming that George is ready to go, those three are still the most likely to sit out.

Between Temple and Mason, I'd keep Temple on the active roster and put Mason in a suit. If Parker, Hill, Manu, and RJ are all healthy and able to play full minutes, then there will be a few minutes for the 5th perimeter player (Bogans). The 6th (Hairston) and 7th (Mason or Temple) perimeter players will join the 5th big (Ian) in waving towels and playing in garbage time.

exstatic
04-11-2010, 10:21 AM
As much as Pop favors small ball, why on EARTH would he dress Mahinmi, a player that has almost zero chance to get into a game, let alone a playoff game? My list was predicated on health, and as long as the other four bigs are healthy, Ian models a suit. If one of the bigs gets banged up, then sure, Ian will dress until that big is healthy, but he won't be a precautionary dress simply for the reason that they CAN change the list every game.

wildbill2u
04-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Cant believe Mason is the winner in the poll, and by such a large margin. I know he hasnt been anywhere near as good as last year but god damn...

Personally I think it should be between Temple and Hairston and I would lean towards Hairston given the fact that we'd already have 4+ wing players ahead of him, whereas Temple can be our 3rd PG. Besides eople tend to overrate Hairston, I love his athleticism and at times his defense but his handles and shot are absolutely atrocious.

If it was between Hairston and Temple, there is no choice. This Temple kid has stepped in to take the toughest position on the court and done a damn good job while scoring in double figures. Hairston has never done anything like that with his minutes of opportunity.

but I voted for Mason. He gives us nothing on defense which is needed in the playoffs and his shooting has been terrible. Give both these kids a chance. I think they have more guts and 'want to' than Mason.

spursfan1000
04-11-2010, 10:24 AM
I would say that POP is going to leave Ian Mahammi out of uniform just because he has not really gotten minutes this season or the only reason I would think he would dress someone else because we are stacked on guards when George Hill gets back and we may need size with Mahammi.

Mel_13
04-11-2010, 10:25 AM
As much as Pop favors small ball, why on EARTH would he dress Mahinmi, a player that has almost zero chance to get into a game, let alone a playoff game? My list was predicated on health, and as long as the other four bigs are healthy, Ian models a suit. If one of the bigs gets banged up, then sure, Ian will dress until that big is healthy, but he won't be a precautionary dress simply for the reason that they CAN change the list every game.

We'll see, but think about it.

Who is more likely to be needed, the 8th perimeter player or the 5th big?

Ian will dress.

exstatic
04-11-2010, 10:30 AM
We'll see, but think about it.

Who is more likely to be needed, the 8th perimeter player or the 5th big?

Ian will dress.

With Pop? The 8th perimeter player, hands down.

Mel_13
04-11-2010, 10:33 AM
With Pop? The 8th perimeter player, hands down.

:lol

You're projecting. There's no evidence to support you. When has Pop ever had less 5 bigs in uniform?

Supergirl
04-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Just read an article that suggested Hill may not be ready by the time the playoffs start. If that's the case, Temple is definitely in and Mahinmi is OUT.

Mel_13
04-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Just read an article that suggested Hill may not be ready by the time the playoffs start. If that's the case, Temple is definitely in and Mahinmi is OUT.

So the Spurs will only dress 11 players for the playoffs?

exstatic
04-11-2010, 10:57 AM

You're projecting. There's no evidence to support you. When has Pop ever had less 5 bigs in uniform?

???? Most of this season until first Tony, and then Hill went down. Mahinmi's only real stretch of active games came during that period. When they're both back, he models a suit.

Spurminator
04-11-2010, 11:01 AM
We may need Mahinmi if we have foul trouble. But I agree he's the biggest long shot on the list.

slayermin
04-11-2010, 11:03 AM

I agree with Russ. Ian could be useful against the Lakers. Against everyone else, perimeter depth is more important.

From those who wonder why Pop would dress Ian against the Lakers, here is a quote from my favorite movie, True Romance.

"If there's one thing this last week has taught me, it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it."

Mel_13
04-11-2010, 11:04 AM
???? Most of this season until first Tony, and then Hill went down. Mahinmi's only real stretch of active games came during that period. When they're both back, he models a suit.

I see you choose to avoid to avoid the question.

I'm not claiming that Ian will play. In the playoffs, it's extremely for rare for the 10th, 11th, and 12th players to play at all outside of garbage time. Two of the garbage timers will be perimeter players and one will be a big. The only candidate for the position of towel-waving, garbage time big is Ian.

Ian will be in uniform.

I'd be open to a friendly wager on the subject.

exstatic
04-11-2010, 11:23 AM
I see you choose to avoid to avoid the question.

I'm not claiming that Ian will play. In the playoffs, it's extremely for rare for the 10th, 11th, and 12th players to play at all outside of garbage time. Two of the garbage timers will be perimeter players and one will be a big. The only candidate for the position of towel-waving, garbage time big is Ian.

Ian will be in uniform.

I'd be open to a friendly wager on the subject.

I answered your question. which was: When has Pop ever had less 5 bigs in uniform? My answer was : Most of this season until first Tony, and then Hill went down. I'm sorry if that wasn't clear enough for you.

Between Bonner's injury, Haislip's buyout, and our constant guard injuries, I'm doubting that Pop has had more than 4 bigs active for 20-25 of the 80 games played so far.

Mel_13
04-11-2010, 11:44 AM
I answered your question. which was: When has Pop ever had less 5 bigs in uniform? My answer was : Most of this season until first Tony, and then Hill went down. I'm sorry if that wasn't clear enough for you.

Between Bonner's injury, Haislip's buyout, and our constant guard injuries, I'm doubting that Pop has had more than 4 bigs active for 20-25 of the 80 games played so far.

If that was your answer, then you were wrong. I don't believe he has had less 5 bigs in uniform for any games this season. The notion that only 4 bigs were in uniform for more than 50 games this season is completely and utterly ridiculous.

Just check the official boxscores. You'll see 12 names for each game. DNP-CDs are active and uniform. The names not listed are in suits. Go ahead and show us 50 games with 4 bigs. Show us 40. Hell, show us 20. You won't be able to because it didn't happen.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/schedule/

It won't happen in the playoffs either.

Ian will be in a Spurs uniform for the playoffs, not a suit.

I'm still open to a friendly wager on the subject.

exstatic
04-11-2010, 12:08 PM

If that was your answer, then you were wrong. I don't believe he has had less 5 bigs in uniform for any games this season. The notion that only 4 bigs were in uniform for more than 50 games this season is completely and utterly ridiculous.

Just check the official boxscores. You'll see 12 names for each game. DNP-CDs are active and uniform. The names not listed are in suits. Go ahead and show us 50 games with 4 bigs. Show us 40. Hell, show us 20. You won't be able to because it didn't happen.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/schedule/

It won't happen in the playoffs either.

Ian will be in a Spurs uniform for the playoffs, not a suit.

I'm still open to a friendly wager on the subject.

Ach. I'll concede the point. I forgot about Theo DNP/CD Ratliff.

I'd be willing to do an avatar wager. If Ian is active for less than 50% of the playoff games, you switch your avatar to Jerrels (our shortest small man), until training camp begins. If it's 50% or more, I'll switch mine to Ian for the same period. You win the tie. You also get the benefit of Hill maybe starting the playoffs on the shelf.

m33p0
04-11-2010, 12:09 PM
what? no tracy mcgrady?

Mel_13
04-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Ach. I'll concede the point. I forgot about Theo DNP/CD Ratliff.

I'd be willing to do an avatar wager. If Ian is active for less than 50% of the playoff games, you switch your avatar to Jerrels (our shortest small man), until training camp begins. If it's 50% or more, I'll switch mine to Ian for the same period. You win the tie. You also get the benefit of Hill maybe starting the playoffs on the shelf.

How about something more interesting.

If I win, you can't post any predictions about Spurs roster moves beginning with the last day of the playoffs until July 1st. You suggest some similar limitation on my posting for the same period of time. If you can accept my terms and propose something I can live with, then we'll have a bet.

To be fair to both sides, any injury or absence for personal reasons that affects any of the 5 bigs will void the wager.

jimo2305
04-11-2010, 12:25 PM
lol tho i admit i haven't watched the games in its entirety for the most part this season.. ive seen enough to say mason is a shell of his former self..

mason would hit those shots that buried teams back then.. now it's like he's a clang machine..

srsly.. garrett temple will hit a 3 poitner before mason will..

Bruno
04-11-2010, 12:36 PM
IIRC, Spurs had only 4 active bigmen for few games between the trade deadline and March 1st.
Saying that, having only 4 bigmen among the 12 active players is very uncommon in the NBA.

exstatic
04-11-2010, 12:55 PM
How about something more interesting.

If I win, you can't post any predictions about Spurs roster moves beginning with the last day of the playoffs until July 1st. You suggest some similar limitation on my posting for the same period of time. If you can accept my terms and propose something I can live with, then we'll have a bet.

To be fair to both sides, any injury or absence for personal reasons that affects any of the 5 bigs will void the wager.

I'll accept that bet, and your loss provision is the same: no posted roster actions/predictions from the end of the playoffs until 1 July.

Mel_13
04-11-2010, 01:06 PM
I'll accept that bet, and your loss provision is the same: no posted roster actions/predictions from the end of the playoffs until 1 July.

Done.

To recap:

If Ian is in uniform for 50% or more of all Spurs 2010 playoff games, I win.

If Ian is in uniform for less than 50% of all Spurs 2010 playoff games, you win.

If any of the 5 Spurs bigs (Duncan, Dice, Bonner, Blair, Ian) miss any game due to injury or personal emergency, the wager will be considered void.

Loser may not post any predictions about Spurs roster moves for a period that will begin on the date of the last Spurs playoff game and will end on July 1st. This includes all roster related activity such as projected free agent signings, draft picks, extensions or new contracts for existing players, etc.

Acceptable?

Dr. Gonzo
04-11-2010, 01:10 PM
If Mahinmi is in a suit the Spurs will get swept in the first round. Ian = Championship

exstatic
04-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Done.

To recap:

If Ian is in uniform for 50% or more of all Spurs 2010 playoff games, I win.

If Ian is in uniform for less than 50% of all Spurs 2010 playoff games, you win.

If any of the 5 Spurs bigs (Duncan, Dice, Bonner, Blair, Ian) miss any game due to injury or personal emergency, the wager will be considered void.

Loser may not post any predictions about Spurs roster moves for a period that will begin on the date of the last Spurs playoff game and will end on July 1st. This includes all roster related activity such as projected free agent signings, draft picks, extensions or new contracts for existing players, etc.

Acceptable?
Acceptable. :)

Mel_13
04-11-2010, 01:38 PM
Acceptable. :)

:tu