PDA

View Full Version : It's Texas fold 'em in fourth

MaNuMaNiAc
05-05-2005, 07:00 AM
It's Texas fold 'em in fourth

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nuggets/article/0,1299,DRMN_20_3753767,00.html

Nuggets put up fight, but Spurs take over late to capture series

By Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News
May 5, 2005

SAN ANTONIO - Yes, it was an impressive late-season run. But the Denver Nuggets ended up losing as many games in the past week as they had the previous two months. A playoff series that began with such promise ended with a thud Wednesday night at the SBC Center, where the Nuggets lost 99-89 as the San Antonio Spurs wrapped up the best-of-seven first-round Western Conference playoff series in five games.

From the All-Star break to the end of the regular season, the Nuggets went 25-4, then dramatically won the first game of the series.

But they lost the next four games.

At least the Nuggets did not leave without a fight, keeping the game close most of the way before San Antonio outscored Denver 28-22 in the fourth quarter.

"We were in every game," Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin said. "There's no quit in this team. . . . I love my teammates to death. I tip my hat off to them the way we turned the season around."

The Nuggets were 17-25 when George Karl took over as coach Jan. 27.

But it was the Spurs who turned around the series, taking charge after losing Game 1.

"We didn't take them lightly, but it was a great wake-up call for us," Spurs forward Tim Duncan said.

The Spurs won Wednesday even though Duncan slumbered through the second half. Duncan, who scored 39 points in San Antonio's dramatic 126-115 overtime win in Game 4, scored only six of his 18 points after halftime.

Guard Tony Parker led the Spurs, who advance to play the Seattle SuperSonics, with 21 points. And coming up big was reserve forward Robert Horry, who scored 17 points while shooting 3-for-4 on three- pointers.

Forward Carmelo Anthony scored a game-most 25 points for the Nuggets, and point guard Andre Miller, who was solid after Karl urged him before the game to be more aggressive, scored 16 points.

But nobody was grabbing too many rebounds as Denver was outrebounded 45-35.

Center Marcus Camby pulled down 10 of the Nuggets rebounds, although he was playing with a bruised right hand that caused him a lot of pain. X-rays were negative on the hand, which Camby banged against the backboard in Game 4.

"I got a shot before the game," said Camby, who grimaced after making a first-quarter alley-oop dunk. "I think it affected me a little bit with my jump shot, but I felt fine."

The Nuggets did a fine job in the second half containing Duncan. But they could not hold down Horry, who made two three-pointers late in the third quarter.

The second gave the Spurs a 71-65 lead not long after the Nuggets took their final lead of the game at 65-64 with 1 minute, 30 seconds to play in the third quarter.

"Rob just hangs out the whole season until the playoffs come along," said Duncan, who grabbed 11 rebounds while teammate Nazr Mohammmed pulled down 13. "He's not afraid to take shots."

San Antonio's reserves came up big during the series. The Spurs' reserves outscored the Nuggets' 42-14 on Wednesday as Karl continued to lament the loss of Eduardo Najera, who did not play again because of a broken right hand.

San Antonio's reserves made a difference on three-pointers. The Spurs shot 9-for-24 on three-pointers with reserves making 7 of 16. The Nuggets shot 1-for-10 on three- pointers.

In the end, though, Karl was pleased with the way the Nuggets battled.

"I had a ball," he said. "It's the most fun game I've coached. . . . We played a great team. We shook them in Game 1, but then they shook off the rust and got better after that."

The seventh-seeded Nuggets earned the respect of the No. 2 Spurs. San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich said the Nuggets will not be a No. 7 seed next season, and Anthony agreed, saying Denver hopes to have home-court advantage in the first round.

"We left it out there," he said. "There's no reason to hang our heads. This is a beginning for us."

It certainly is a beginning for Anthony. After a rough start to the series, he finished strong.

"He had many opportunities in this series to kind of get frustrated and quit or give in to the selfishness of the game," Karl said. "I thought he got better. I thought he improved on his efficiency and became a good defensive player."

But the Nuggets could not stop the Spurs in the fourth quarter. After committing 16 turnovers in the first three quarters, the Spurs had only one in a fourth quarter in which they led by as many as 12 points.

The Nuggets had five turnovers in the fourth quarter, two by Earl Boykins, who was the third shooting guard to start in the series for Denver. Karl kept it a secret until just before tip-off that Boykins would start, and he finished with 14 points and five assists. Fighting for their playoff lives, the Nuggets were tough from the start, trailing 45-43 at halftime. In the end, though, Karl's magical ride finally came to an end.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-05-2005, 11:48 AM
bump

grjr
05-05-2005, 12:11 PM
It's Texas fold 'em in fourth

"We were in every game," Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin said. "There's no quit in this team. . . . .

By IN every game I guess he means they PLAYED IN every game. Either that or his memory isn't that good. :elephant

Louae
05-05-2005, 02:12 PM
San Antonio's reserves came up big during the series. The Spurs' reserves outscored the Nuggets' 42-14 on Wednesday as Karl continued to lament the loss of Eduardo Najera, who did not play again because of a broken right hand.

I, for one, was glad that Najera didn't play in this series. He definately would've helped Denver in some of those close victories we had on the road.

MadDog73
05-05-2005, 02:44 PM
And Denver should be glad Rasho and Devin didn't play for the Spurs...