PDA

View Full Version : NBA FANHOUSE : Spurs' Jefferson Pondering Possibility of Opting Out of Contract

timaios
04-11-2010, 11:27 AM
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/04/11/spurs-jefferson-pondering-possibility-of-opting-out-of-contract/

Spurs' Jefferson Pondering Possibility of Opting Out of Contract

4/11/2010 11:20 AM ET By Chris Tomasson
Chris Tomasson is a Senior NBA Writer for FanHouse

DENVER -- A small forward averaging 12.4 points leaving $15 million on the table?

It initially sounds ridiculous.

Nevertheless, San Antonio's Richard Jefferson (right) said he hasn't ruled out opting out of his contract this summer. He explained why in an interview with FanHouse while in Denver on Saturday for the Spurs' 104-95 win.

"That's a situation I think every player will look at at the end of the season,'' said Jefferson, making $14.2 million this season and due to earn $15 million in next season's final year of his deal if he doesn't opt out. "I probably wouldn't make 15 (million dollars) some place, but you could somehow recoup some of that over a multi-year deal and get some guaranteed money for the next few years.

"So you figure it out. If you're able to get four years and 40 (million dollars by opting out) from someone, it's like, 'OK, I did lose out on 15 (million dollars). But I'm going to get basically a $25 million extension.' Those are things that you think of at the end of the season.''

Jefferson said he will look at several factors before the opt-out deadline of June 30. Those include what the NBA's economic climate looks like due to the possibility of a 2011 lockout, how the free-agent market sizes up, how the Spurs' future looks and how they do in the playoffs.

"If you win a championship, you might opt out,'' he said. "If you lose in the first round, you might stay. You can't say it's going to be one way or the other. That would be foolish (to not take many factors into account). Guys like LeBron (James), it doesn't matter.''

Jefferson, who never really has fit in with the Spurs and whose scoring average is the lowest since his rookie season of 2001-02, said his value is not as high with a slower-tempo team such as San Antonio as it would be with more up-and-down unit. Jefferson played with faster-paced New Jersey from 2001-08, and twice averaged more than 22 points in a season.

"I'm not going to get $15 million in this system (San Antonio's),'' said Jefferson, acquired last summer by the Spurs after averaging 19.6 points for Milwaukee. "I'm not a $15 million player. In a Phoenix situation, in a place that's more up and down and more fast-paced, my value and my stock probably rises. In a little bit slower-down offense, with the type of play that we have here, my value changes.''

That doesn't necessarily mean Jefferson isn't long for the Spurs since he won't hone in on what he'll do until after the season. Still, Jefferson, who turns 30 in June, realizes his days of being able to command a good-sized long-term contract are starting to run out.

"At the age of 29, you hopefully can sign a multi-year extension (if the unlikely event Spurs were to offer one by June 30) or kind of regroup that money lost in the first year (if there's an opt-out),'' Jefferson said.

Chris Tomasson can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter@christomasson

Andy25
04-11-2010, 11:29 AM
What the fuck is this mess after the Spurs start getting their act together... stfu Jefferson go play.

Technique
04-11-2010, 11:32 AM
it's all about the money with this guy.

Wombatzu
04-11-2010, 11:33 AM
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/8836/612capturetombstone03.jpg (http://img80.imageshack.us/i/612capturetombstone03.jpg/)

yavozerb
04-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Man, I really hope he opts out..I could care less if the spurs get nothing in return.

jestersmash
04-11-2010, 11:34 AM
it's all about the benjamins baby

Muser
04-11-2010, 11:38 AM
He ain't leaving.

Creation88
04-11-2010, 11:41 AM
i will personally pack his locker room and kick his ass outta SA. hope this happens.

Spursfan092120
04-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Come on..this isn't about San Antonio..this is about a guy who knows this is a business...we can't get pissed at him for this...it's not like he's been here for a decade. Give the guy a damn break...basketball players careers don't always last as long as Jordan's/Robinson's/Duncan's. He's trying to provide for his family for the rest of his life.

boutons_deux
04-11-2010, 11:56 AM
it's all about the money with this guy.

It's his job, not a sporty pastime.

Creation88
04-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Come on..this isn't about San Antonio..this is about a guy who knows this is a business...we can't get pissed at him for this...it's not like he's been here for a decade. Give the guy a damn break...basketball players careers don't always last as long as Jordan's/Robinson's/Duncan's. He's trying to provide for his family for the rest of his life.

seriously? SERIOUSLY?

Muser
04-11-2010, 11:58 AM

Give me a fraction of what he earns and i'll provide for my family easily.

Spurious
04-11-2010, 12:02 PM
RJ opting out could be a godsend to the Spurs. Probably is, overall, now that we have a fair bit of the salary cap obligated to Manu going forward.

Mel_13
04-11-2010, 12:03 PM
Can you imagine the celebration in the Spurs FO if RJ opts out?

Just shut up and play basketball. There will be plenty of time to consider your contract options after the season is over.

Bruno
04-11-2010, 12:03 PM
RJ opting out will hurt Spurs. As disappointing as he has been, Spurs won't be able to find a player with his level with a half MLE.

Biggems
04-11-2010, 12:04 PM
well he is used to playing all offense and no defense.......NJ and Milwaukee werent exactly thinking man's gigs. Now he comes to the Spurs and he has to play defense, use his brain, and be happy with a lot less touches. It is hard to get used to.

If he opts out, does that mean the Spurs are no longer on the books for that money? If so, he can't opt out fast enough for me.

jestersmash
04-11-2010, 12:04 PM
If you need $40 more million dollars instead of $15 more million dollars (Note, he's already made $70 MILLION dollars throughout his career) in order to "provide for [your] family," then literally by definition 99.9999999999999999999% of us are downright screwed and we should just kill ourselves now

slayermin
04-11-2010, 12:06 PM
I hope he doesn't opt out. I would like to see what he could do after a year under Pop.

Whisky Dog
04-11-2010, 12:08 PM
It is a business, but he doesn't need to be spouting off on that at this time. We finally got Manu to stop spouting off about his contract and now Jeff starts up.

Personally if he leaves that frees up money for the Spurs on a player that was worth about 1/3 of that money. That's good business to not have to pay that.

It would be bad for the team depth wise though.

Biggems
04-11-2010, 12:10 PM
RJ opting out will hurt Spurs. As disappointing as he has been, Spurs won't be able to find a player with his level with a half MLE.

I think with Manu, Bogans, Temple, Hairston, Parker, and Hill, we will be ok. If we can add one FA and a wing in the draft, we will be ok. I also understand Gee will be on the team next season.

I think we will be just fine without Jefferson and Mason. I like Mason, but he is too inconsistent. Personally, I feel Mason would be better if he would shoot 20ft twos instead of bricking all those 3s. He seems to be money just inside the arc, but fails to set up there. I have never cared for Jefferson.

I am actually more upset that we might be losing Ian.

Kermit
04-11-2010, 12:11 PM

True. He needs to save up some money to buy financial security for his future with Luke.

exstatic
04-11-2010, 12:13 PM
RJ opting out hurts both parties, but probably RJ more. He would be lucky to see that $15M for 3 years and not the one he has in hand.

Whisky Dog
04-11-2010, 12:14 PM
40 million buys a lot more KY than 15 million.

weebo
04-11-2010, 12:16 PM

How does that hurt the Spurs? And exactly what level are you referring to? For the money he is getting paid to play basketball, he's been a flat out bust this year. If by some godsend he shows up in the playoffs, I will gladly eat my words.

Spurs Brazil
04-11-2010, 12:18 PM
"So you figure it out. If you're able to get four years and 40 (million dollars by opting out) from someone, it's like, 'OK, I did lose out on 15 (million dollars). But I'm going to get basically a $25 million extension.' Those are things that you think of at the end of the season.''

There's no way 'someone' offer that money to him. He'd be luck if he gets a MLE offer for 3 or 4 seasons

No way he opts out

TimmehC
04-11-2010, 12:23 PM

This. A better option would be a sign-and-trade for someone with his level of skill or better, but I doubt anyone's willing to do that with us.

doobs
04-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Maybe the Spurs should extend him and renegotiate his contract. 4 years, 40 million. 10 million next year, instead of 15 million. That frees up some space.

If it doesn't work, trade him to Phoenix. They're stupid.

Fabbs
04-11-2010, 12:34 PM
"If you win a championship, you might opt out,'' he said. "If you lose in the first round, you might stay. You can't say it's going to be one way or the other."

Another suck ass 1st round exit and you'll stay and torture us with another year of suck ass?
But a Championship and you'll leave?

Okay.
I'll choose b.

Bruno
04-11-2010, 12:34 PM
How does that hurt the Spurs? And exactly what level are you referring to? For the money he is getting paid to play basketball, he's been a flat out bust this year. If by some godsend he shows up in the playoffs, I will gladly eat my words.

If RJ doesn't opt out, Spurs offseason will likely be spending half the MLE on Splitter and filling the roster with cheap players.

Tell me what Spurs would do if RJ opt out and how it will make Spurs a better team?

exstatic
04-11-2010, 12:35 PM
There's no way 'someone' offer that money to him. He'd be luck if he gets a MLE offer for 3 or 4 seasons

No way he opts out

EXACTLY. With the hard cap coming, he'll never see $10M a season again. He'll be lucky to get $5M.

Don't ever play chicken with the Spurs FO. The worst outcome for the FO is to extend RJ. That'w a W for him and an L for them. That isn't happening. The other two outcomes are he opts out (L/L) or he plays out his last year (W/W). He can probably get 3-4 years at ~$5M on a follow on to the last year at $15M.

Leetonidas
04-11-2010, 12:36 PM
If that chode does opt out, won't we have some extra cash to spend on a decent FA?

itzsoweezee
04-11-2010, 12:36 PM
A $15 million expiring contract is much more valuable than RJ opting out. Hope he doesn't. And the NBA is a business. Don't know why some of you are getting your panties in a bunch. It's not your money.

exstatic
04-11-2010, 12:37 PM
If RJ doesn't opt out, Spurs offseason will likely be spending half the MLE on Splitter and filling the roster with cheap players.

Tell me what Spurs would do if RJ opt out and how it will make Spurs a better team?
It doesn't make them better, but then again, it doesn't make his situation better, either. I can tell you this: he isn't getting any kind of extension this summer. That's a fact. If he thinks he can bluff or bully the Spurs FO, he's sadly mistaken.

exstatic
04-11-2010, 12:40 PM
If that chode does opt out, won't we have some extra cash to spend on a decent FA?

No. We still just have the MLE, which by all accounts will be spent on Splitter. It might drop us below the tax threshold, though.

Honestly? The minutes that Temple has earned this year show him to be a better ball handler than RJ, a MUCH better outside shooter, and at least on par, if not a better defender. RJ has the edge in finishing.

Bruno
04-11-2010, 12:41 PM
It doesn't make them better, but then again, it doesn't make his situation better, either. I can tell you this: he isn't getting any kind of extension this summer. That's a fact. If he thinks he can bluff or bully the Spurs FO, he's sadly mistaken.

I've never tell that RJ will opt out.
He would be quite dumb to do so.

Drewlius
04-11-2010, 12:42 PM
Better question is, why the hell is Dick bringing this up before the playoffs?

SenorSpur
04-11-2010, 12:44 PM
I know the media asked RJ about this initially, but that doesn't mean he needed to answer it. I've rooted for this guy all year long and have been hesistant to call him a bust. I certainly don't think he's a bad player, he's just a bad fit for this team. He's not a mentally tough player either. As he stated, on another team, his value, and his productivity, would likely soar.

In a way, I hope RJ does opt out. That way, the Spurs could seek another mid-career SF to replace him. I haven't looked at the available crop of free agent SFs, but I'd have to believe the Spurs can acquire one via sign-n-trade. There has to be another SF, who would be a better, cheaper fit than RJ.

On the other hand, part of me hopes he stays at least one more year. I'm banking on the Spurs drafting a high-quality, athletic, SF in the June draft. However, that rookie would probably need at least a 1-year incubation period. Then he could take over for the soon-to-be-departed RJ.

Whisky Dog
04-11-2010, 12:45 PM
That fool isn't opting out and throwing away money for one season that would take him 2 to 3 seasons to earn if he opts out. That would be fucking retarded.

exstatic
04-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Better question is, why the hell is Dick bringing this up before the playoffs?

Because Manu just got an extension.

Trimble87
04-11-2010, 12:47 PM
I find it hilarious that RJ thinks he would make 10 million a year over a 4 yar contract if he opts out... Has he secretly been playing well for another team without us knowing?

Crookshanks
04-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Because Manu just got an extension.

Manu >>>>>>> Jefferson. Manu has been a BIG part of the Spurs for how many years now? There's absolutely NO comparison between Manu and RJ. He needs to just shut up and play!

exstatic
04-11-2010, 12:56 PM
Manu >>>>>>> Jefferson. Manu has been a BIG part of the Spurs for how many years now? There's absolutely NO comparison between Manu and RJ. He needs to just shut up and play!

I'm just speaking to the timing, not the validity. No need to get your granny-panties in a wad.

spurs4real
04-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Wow Jefferson, just leave us so we can pick up someone who actually cares for wins not money. Dont get me wrong love money too but cmon at 30? Isnt it time to grow up and try to win a ring, I mean that was the goal at one point for all NBA players wasnt it?

spurs4real
04-11-2010, 12:59 PM
One more thing, we as Spurs fans dont care about the Value of how much you make, we care about the Value of your character and you Mr. Jefferson obviously dont value the art of winning as much as you do the greed of money.

jjktkk
04-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Heres a list of potential sf free agents this Summer:

Josh Childress

Josh Howard

Grant Hill

Kyle Korver

Travis Outlaw

John Salmons

Ronnie Brewer

exstatic
04-11-2010, 01:02 PM

Josh Childress

Josh Howard

Grant Hill

Kyle Korver

Travis Outlaw

John Salmons

Ronnie Brewer

If Splitter comes over, we can sign none of them.

spurs4real
04-11-2010, 01:06 PM

Josh Childress

Josh Howard

Grant Hill

Kyle Korver

Travis Outlaw

John Salmons

Ronnie Brewer

John Salmons why.....why.....doesnt it work out when we want him every year, Parker for Salmons...Meanwhile Splitter comes over, ahh the beauty of day dreaming

jestersmash
04-11-2010, 01:28 PM

Josh Childress

Josh Howard

Grant Hill

Kyle Korver

Travis Outlaw

John Salmons

Ronnie Brewer

Grant Hill is 38 years old, why would you even bring his name up even if he IS a FA this summer.

rascal
04-11-2010, 01:28 PM

The spurs will have holes at sf and the frontline.

ambchang
04-11-2010, 01:29 PM
For a second, I actually thought that RJ was going to say that he doesn't deserve the money, that his monstrous salary is keeping him up at night. To make up for it, he would take the vet min with the Spurs next year, so that the Spurs only effectively had to pay him $8M a year for two years instead of $15M

SenorSpur
04-11-2010, 01:37 PM
In these perilous financial times, I can't think of a single player that has opted out the past couple of seasons. Even Amare changed his mind. RJ is talking this up, but I'll believe it when I see it.

baseline bum
04-11-2010, 01:40 PM
EXACTLY. With the hard cap coming, he'll never see $10M a season again. He'll be lucky to get $5M.

Don't ever play chicken with the Spurs FO. The worst outcome for the FO is to extend RJ. That'w a W for him and an L for them. That isn't happening. The other two outcomes are he opts out (L/L) or he plays out his last year (W/W). He can probably get 3-4 years at ~$5M on a follow on to the last year at $15M.

Even under the current CBA that would never happen. Lamar Odom is a way better SF than Jefferson, and only got a little more than $8 million per over 2 or 3 years. I don't know what the hell Jefferson is thinking.

exstatic
04-11-2010, 01:45 PM
In these perilous financial times, I can't think of a single player that has opted out the past couple of seasons. Even Amare changed his mind. RJ is talking this up, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Actually, Amare hasn't changed his mind yet. He's about the only player (who isn't already assumed to be opting out like LBJ and Wade) player that could make an opt out work this summer.

Ditty
04-11-2010, 01:50 PM
jefferson is a great 4th option guy many believed that he would our second option...the thing that bothers spurs fans is his pay of course and he is not a 14 million a year player at best a 10 million the worst a 8 million but if he doesnt opt out of is contract which is great for him making 30 million in 2 seasons in a cheap living city in san antonio and hes single is just living the life. Jefferson has been playing great these past month or so and hopefully he has a story post season and maybe he can be worth his contract...spurs will do the same thing even if jefferson opts out but holt will save alot of money spurs will sign splitter with the mle and draft a SF in the draft in pondextor or george and resign either bonner or Ian as there 5th big man and maybe with the LLE the spurs could go after a mason replacement maybe matt barnes or someone in that catergory

Big P
04-11-2010, 01:56 PM
rj...GTFO!

xellos88330
04-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Ok so... If RJ opts out, the Spurs no longer owe him the money for the last year of his contract and he becomes a free agent?

Mel_13
04-11-2010, 02:00 PM
Ok so... If RJ opts out, the Spurs no longer owe him the money for the last year of his contract and he becomes a free agent?

Yep

Cane
04-11-2010, 02:02 PM
He's got high apple pie, in the sky hopes

xellos88330
04-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Yep

If that is the case, could it be possible that if the Spurs go deep into the playoffs he could sign an extension with the Spurs for less money? I mean his performance this year has only been average. I still think the man can play, but for my optimistic reasons, I think he would take a smaller deal to remain with the Spurs if the team can prove itself in the playoffs.

Mel_13
04-11-2010, 02:07 PM
If that is the case, could it be possible that if the Spurs go deep into the playoffs he could sign an extension with the Spurs for less money? I mean his performance this year has only been average. I still think the man can play, but for my optimistic reasons, I think he would take a smaller deal to remain with the Spurs if the team can prove itself in the playoffs.

Any extension signed before June 30th would leave the 15M for next season in place.

He could opt out of that last year and sign a completely new deal for any amount from the minimum to the maximum after July 1st

DJB
04-11-2010, 02:09 PM

Regardless, he shouldn't be saying this shit a week away from the playoffs. This is the type of thing he needs to be talking about in the summer. :nope

xellos88330
04-11-2010, 02:10 PM
Any extension signed before June 30th would leave the 15M for next season in place.

He could opt out of that last year and sign a completely new deal for any amount from the minimum to the maximum after July 1st

Thanks for the info! :toast

spursfaninla
04-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Give me a fraction of what he earns and i'll provide for my family easily.

Sure, it sounds easy to do so. 15 mill is a lot.

But take home is closer to 9. And that is for life, so that salary has to earn enough money to be sustainable.

Sure, I think I could make it with a few mill earning interest and not even need to work. But you have to have a very moderate lifestyle to do that.

Then these guys often are asked to take care of their extended families and close friends, and soon the money runs out.

I think stupidly living an unsustainable lifestyle wastes alot of money for sports guys, but some of it is not being selfish, it is just trying to be a nice guy and help out your 3rd uncle, and counsin, etc....

ploto
04-11-2010, 02:28 PM
Delusional, Jefferson is. First, if he thinks that Manu getting an extension somehow means he will get one. Second, thinking anyone would give him $40m for 4 years.

Mr.Bottomtooth
04-11-2010, 02:32 PM

As much as I want to disagree, this is true.
I'm still all for getting rid of him, but we should do it by trade, not letting him go.

Chucho
04-11-2010, 02:37 PM
I just like that fact that he may try to play his best ball at the time when it matters most. If he leaves, oh well, we sleep walked to another 50 win season, if we win a championship, I still don't think it's a big loss, we have a little money to toss around. It'd be sweet to see Jeff leave town with Bonner and maybe a hoss like David Lee falls into our lap. How some of the jabrones that got signed last offseason to huge contracts and this hustler is left out in the cold with a 1 year deal with the Knicks is just a travesty. Send Tony to York, Jeff leaves, we get Lee. Temple has shown flashes of being a credible back up, George has already proven he is starter material, Beasty is going to be sick, bring in Lee, fuck Splitter trade his rights for someone who can shoot threes on a consistent basis and pick up a somewhat young and athletic wing and I like the way the team looks next year and probably at a lower cost.

crc21209
04-11-2010, 02:41 PM

No way he opts out

Exactly...that is why he wont opt out. No way in hell someone gives him a huge contract year-wise and money-wise...

mingus
04-11-2010, 02:45 PM
i don't like this at all. he needs to shut up. i know the question was asked first, but he should have respectfully declined to go into this kind of detail and said it is a private matter that he'll wait until the off-season judge. the focus needs to be on winning a championship, which IS WHAT IS HE BEING PAYED TO DO. iow, part of his job is to stfu and concentrate on what he is supposed to concentrate on. it's just unethical.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-11-2010, 02:52 PM
LOL at a player having the worst season of his career thinking he can get more money

weebo
04-11-2010, 03:36 PM

He's making 14 million this year from the Spurs and he's averaging 12.4 pts. and 4.4 boards per his 31 minutes a night. Also add to that his shoddy defense and you're claiming the Spurs would have a hard time replacing that? No offense Bruno, you're one of the better poster in here but you're wrong on this one.

If this is all RJ is bringing to the dance, the Spurs can get someone who can give you just as much as he brings for half the cost. Again, I'll say, if he can bring it come playoff time, I will eat my words.

Mr.Bottomtooth
04-11-2010, 04:03 PM
He's making 14 million this year from the Spurs and he's averaging 12.4 pts. and 4.4 boards per his 31 minutes a night. Also add to that his shoddy defense and you're claiming the Spurs would have a hard time replacing that? No offense Bruno, you're one of the better poster in here but you're wrong on this one.

If this is all RJ is bringing to the dance, the Spurs can get someone who can give you just as much as he brings for half the cost. Again, I'll say, if he can bring it come playoff time, I will eat my words.

But how does losing him make the Spurs a better team, like Bruno asked?

Sisk
04-11-2010, 04:05 PM
seriously? SERIOUSLY?

yeah seriously. i hate people that give shit to athletes that want to make money - if you were in the same position you'd do the same damn thing

BillMc
04-11-2010, 04:13 PM
As some have said. His opting out, while saving money for the Spurs, would hurt the Spurs as we would lose his services for nothing and cannot trade his giant expiring contract.

With only the MLE much of which will be spent (hopefully) on Splitter, there's really very little we could do to get a player that talented. It annoys me somewhat to hear him say that it is the Spurs system that is reducing his value. Perhaps partially true, but own up to your own role in the difficulties.

If he does not opt-out, we are better off. And he won't, he's not going to get that kind of money anywhere.

siraulo23
04-11-2010, 04:31 PM
he's not opting out guys~

no team is gonna offer him massive $

ducks
04-11-2010, 04:39 PM
he could opt out be stupid
playing for spurs or knicks....
james is not going anywhere
manu is not
who is the knicks going to sign?

senorglory
04-11-2010, 04:53 PM
I hope he doesn't opt out. I would like to see what he could do after a year under Pop.

You're gonna get flamed, but yeah, me too.

BillMc
04-11-2010, 04:54 PM
You're gonna get flamed, but yeah, me too.

Yeah, me too. If these last two months are any indication, next year (health permitting) may be a very good year.

Boss
04-11-2010, 04:55 PM
As disappointing as RJ has been it will be terrible if he opts out for Spurs. Were still over the cap even w/ out that expensive contract so we couldn't do anything different this offseason other than use the MLE. Paying RJ $15mil will suck next season, but a $15mil expiring contract is a damn good trade chip to have.

Obstructed_View
04-11-2010, 04:55 PM
Yawn. Someone asks him a question, he answers it honestly, then it gets turned into an article all by itself as though it's news. Ask any player with an option if they're 100 percent not going to opt out and RJ's answer is likely the one you'll get almost every time.

benefactor
04-11-2010, 06:18 PM
He's not going anywhere...unless the Spurs find a taker for him in a trade.

Waps1980
04-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Its all about the money at the end of the day for everyone this is a job with a limited work life.
Manu said similar stuff about exploring the free agent but did he get flamed for not having his heart in the right place.

He just told it how it is, he know he’s not going to get 40mil 4 year deal at 30yo. But if he did he’d take it…..geez anyone in that situation would be stupid not to. This has just been blown way out of proportion.

poop
04-11-2010, 06:38 PM
honestly it seems like hes been coming along nicely last couple weeks.

bigbendbruisebrother
04-11-2010, 06:40 PM

I disagree. R.C. has a knack for that very thing.

The guy is still out of position frequently, and while he is playing better, he's not irreplaceable.

Besides, if he opts out, the Spurs will have more to spend than half MLE, right?

exstatic
04-11-2010, 06:50 PM
I disagree. R.C. has a knack for that very thing.

The guy is still out of position frequently, and while he is playing better, he's not irreplaceable.

Besides, if he opts out, the Spurs will have more to spend than half MLE, right?

No. The Spurs will still be over the cap. RJ opting out may drop them below the tax, down to about $50M. That's all. It does nothing to help sign a replacement.

Budkin
04-11-2010, 07:34 PM
LOL good luck with that RJ!

raspsa
04-11-2010, 08:24 PM
I guess its more the timing of what he said.. coming on the heels of Dice's statements. Could be a distraction but I think more to ST posters than to the team.. best leave such talk to agents.

phxspurfan
04-11-2010, 08:28 PM
I think we could sign Splitter and Korver for the MLE.

roycrikside
04-11-2010, 11:52 PM
He's already shown he's got no basketball IQ. Maybe he can prove he's got no brains period by opting out.

Harry Callahan
04-11-2010, 11:56 PM
I don't think he will opt out. His value is not what is was a year ago with his inflated Milwaukee scoring average.

The RJ expiring contract would have some good potential value next year. I hope he doesn't opt out. SA won't be interested in a four year guaranteed deal for RJ after giving a boatload of money to Manu, a guy who really knows how to play at a championship level.

LakerHater
04-12-2010, 12:04 AM
Man, I really hope he opts out..I could care less if the spurs get nothing in return.
I'd like to see what hes worth & see who'd bite on some trades!!?

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-12-2010, 02:07 AM
Him opting out would only be good news for Holt, but not for Spurs' competitiveness next season. He doesn't justify his price tag, but there's no way the Spurs can find a minimum ( or near minimum ) player to fill his role and make the Spurs better next season.

kaji157
04-12-2010, 02:17 AM
I think as a Lakers fan said some months ago we are "Odom"ing on Jefferson.
If he opted out and took back a 4 years 30-35 million dollar deal that would be great for him and also for us.
As bad as he looked this year most Spurs look terrible in their first months as a Spur.
If he was paid 7-8 million a year, and assuming next year will be similar to his numbers in march and april or better (lets assume 14 ppg, 6 rebs, 2 assists) we all agree is good money.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-12-2010, 02:20 AM
I think as a Lakers fan said some months ago we are "Odom"ing on Jefferson.
If he opted out and took back a 4 years 30-35 million dollar deal that would be great for him and also for us.
As bad as he looked this year most Spurs look terrible in their first months as a Spur.
If he was paid 7-8 million a year, and assuming next year will be similar to his numbers in march and april or better (lets assume 14 ppg, 6 rebs, 2 assists) we all agree is good money.

Not at all - RJ making less next year won't give the Spurs more money to spend on FAs and he'd better be overpaid for 1 year ( as an expiring that could potentially be dealt ), than overpaying him for 4 more years.

mountainballer
04-12-2010, 04:12 AM
does anyone else smell the starting of a buy out negotiation?

the moment the Spurs signed Manu to his big extension, it was also definitive that they will be tax payers next season.
this means, even if of course loosing RJ for nothing doesn't help the team, it wouldn't be all negative for the Spurs (especially Holt).

read between the lines: what did RJ really tell the Spurs?

he told them, he doesn't feel well at this team and wants to leave. ("my game is not a good fit, I would be better with a team like Suns, etc bla bla)
he said, he "might" think about opting out, if he doesn't loose much money. but if he can't be sure he won't loose money in the long run, he tends to stay.

IMO this means: offer me a buy out, big enough to cover a significant part of my losses. (I guess he is realistic enough to know that he could get a long term MLE type contract from another team, but not more. see Marion. that's about 30 million)
for the Spurs it would mean: if they buy out RJ for 7.5 million (50% of the last year could be a typical asking price), they will be at 59 million and 7 players (including Hairston). MLE for Splitter (3.5M ?) and another FA (1.7M), likely a SF. (players like Antoine Wright for example). that's 9 players and 64.5M. add the #20 pick (1.3 M). that's 10 and 65.8M.
threshold will be somewhere in the 67-68 M region. 3 vet min contracts or 2nd round signings cost 2.4M.
that's a roster of 13 on 68.2 M. (some small maneuvers might keep it below the threshold)
even if the Spurs go over the threshold (by using the BAE or re signing Bonner), they won't have to pay as much tax as if they have RJ on the roster.

what's the other (worst case) scenario: RJ stays, plays another bad and unmotivated season, Spurs have a 75-80 M payroll (pay 7-12 M taxes) AND can't use the RJ contract as trade bait, because this would of course bring back player(s) in the same price range, but longer term and put them over the threshold also for 2011-12.

so, what RJ did brings the Spurs in a lose-lose situation. a buy out might be the best way to control the damage. but of course it doesn't make the team better.

Austin_Toros
04-12-2010, 05:28 AM
It sounds as though RJ would actually prefer to play in another system. I think if he's confident that he can get a long enough deal somewhere else, he would take it in a heartbeat.
But for the spurs, im just not sure how they are going to replace RJ next season (disregarding his current form)

Bruno
04-12-2010, 06:51 AM
Here is a tricky scenario:

Somewhere between the end of Spurs season and the NBA draft:
RJ opt out and sign a $40M/5 years extension with Spurs. Spurs then trade him to NY for Eddy Curry and Wilson Chandler.

Why for RJ: he got his $25M extension.

Why for Knicks: Knicks get $8M more in cap space for this summer. The cost for that is to swap Chandler for RJ and in D'Antoni system, RJ would be fine.

Why for Spurs: Spurs lower their 2010-2011 payroll by $1.8M. With the luxury tax, they will save $3.6M. Chandler would be an upgrade on the defensive end over RJ and he could be resigned in 201 when he will be a RFA. Curry is useless but he has a nice expiring contract.

mountainballer
04-12-2010, 07:13 AM
good idea, but wouldn't RJ's new salary be the number for the trade? (at 5 years/40 million the starting salary will be between 6.6 and 8 million) Curry and Chandler make 13.4 million combined. Spurs would need to add other players.

exstatic
04-12-2010, 07:21 AM

RJ opt out and sign a $40M/5 years extension with Spurs. Spurs then trade him to NY for Eddy Curry and Wilson Chandler.

Why for Knicks: Knicks get $8M more in cap space for this summer. The cost for that is to swap Chandler for RJ and in D'Antoni system, RJ would be fine.

Why for Spurs: Spurs lower their 2010-2011 payroll by $1.8M. With the luxury tax, they will save $3.6M. Chandler would be an upgrade on the defensive end over RJ and he could be resigned in 201 when he will be a RFA. Curry is useless but he has a nice expiring contract.
Can't happen. If he opts out, that makes him a FA, and the Spurs cannot sign him again until signing day in July. The tax figuring is done at the end of THIS season, in June.

I never, EVER want to see Eddy Curry in a Spurs uni.

Bruno
04-12-2010, 07:28 AM
good idea, but wouldn't RJ's new salary be the number for the trade? (at 5 years/40 million the starting salary will be between 6.6 and 8 million) Curry and Chandler make 13.4 million combined. Spurs would need to add other players.

If you do the trade before July, salary numbers used are the 09-10 ones. RJ number is $14.2M and Wilson+Curry is $11.8M. It works salary wise.

And the starting salary for RJ extension would be $5M. In a contract extension, max raise is 10.5% of the last year form the previous contract. 10.5% of $14.2M is about $1.5M. The idea for Knicks would be to create as much capspace as possible for this off-season.

Bruno
04-12-2010, 07:40 AM
Can't happen. If he opts out, that makes him a FA, and the Spurs cannot sign him again until signing day in July. The tax figuring is done at the end of THIS season, in June.

Can happen.
Opting out makes you a FA after July 1st.
Something similar happened with KG in the Wolves/Celtics trade.

mountainballer
04-12-2010, 07:59 AM
wow. I see.
(didn't know about this previous contract rule either)
so RJ could sign a contract like 5 + 6.5 + 8 + 9.5 + 11 M = 40 M ?
(is there a comparable contract/scenario out there?)
so, that way the Knicks could dump another 8 M from their payroll, right?
which they could use to re sign Lee. 6 years/60 M. (he would agree I assume.)
they would have Gallinari, Lee, RJ, Douglas, ev. Rodriguez AND still 34 M in cap space. (max for Lebron, 5 years 94 million and almost max for Bosh, 5 years/82 M)
Knicks don't hesitate for half a second to do such a trade with the Spurs.

OrEmuN
04-12-2010, 08:03 AM
If FO does that, I will be so happy. I like Wilson Chandler as a player. However, I do not see that happening unless they are entirely sure that they can't get LeBron since LeBron and RJ plays SF. I just hope that Knicks will cast their eyes on Wade as well as Bosh and of course do this trade

I never, EVER want to see Eddy Curry in a Spurs uni.

Curry will just be an expiring contract that we can use as a trade bait

mountainballer
04-12-2010, 08:15 AM
If FO does that, I will be so happy. I like Wilson Chandler as a player. However, I do not see that happening unless they are entirely sure that they can't get LeBron since LeBron and RJ plays SF. I just hope that Knicks will cast their eyes on Wade as well as Bosh and of course do this trade

for the whole picture RJ (or the position he plays) is more or less irrelevant. if this scenario helps the Knicks to get 2 superstars AND keep Lee, they do it.
(and RJ would become an overpayed backup for Lebron/Gallinari)

Bruno
04-12-2010, 08:31 AM
wow. I see.
(didn't know about this previous contract rule either)
so RJ could sign a contract like 5 + 6.5 + 8 + 9.5 + 11 M = 40 M ?
(is there a comparable contract/scenario out there?)
so, that way the Knicks could dump another 8 M from their payroll, right?
which they could use to re sign Lee. 6 years/60 M. (he would agree I assume.)
they would have Gallinari, Lee, RJ, Douglas, ev. Rodriguez AND still 34 M in cap space. (max for Lebron, 5 years 94 million and almost max for Bosh, 5 years/82 M)
Knicks don't hesitate for half a second to do such a trade with the Spurs.

Yes, you got the idea.
I think it's "win" trade for everybody (Spurs, Knicks and RJ).

MoSpur
04-12-2010, 08:41 AM
I find it very hard to believe that Jefferson would get another contract worth 40 mil for about four years. I don't see a team paying him that much unless Isaiah Thomas is the GM of that team. I may be wrong. There might be a team dumb enough to pay that guy 10 mil a year.

I hope he opts out because he really doesn't fit in with the Spurs. The Spurs aren't the Suns. Thank God. I think Jefferson is a good player. Just not with the Spurs.

mountainballer
04-12-2010, 08:42 AM
another opt out:
Mo Evans reportedly will opt out from the last year in Atlanta. (leaves 2.5M on the table)
not really relevant, but if the Spurs need to find a SF for cheap on the FA market to replace RJ, he might be an option.
(Spurs might be able to offer something like 3 years/6 million from the reminder of the MLE, if Splitter signs for 3years/11 million)

temujin
04-12-2010, 08:52 AM
40 millions extenson for this guy?

Hours after Ginobili signed an extension?
Is he comapiring himself with whom, EXACTLY?
Ginobili?
Seriously?

And he is actually talking about it come playoffs time?

I thought this guy had a very low BB IQ, but it might actually be lower outside of the court.

rjv
04-12-2010, 09:07 AM
the guy loves to opt out. just ask his ex-fiancee.

mountainballer
04-12-2010, 09:26 AM
:lol

ffadicted
04-12-2010, 09:26 AM
the guy loves to opt out. just ask his ex-fiancee.

haha

TDMVPDPOY
04-12-2010, 09:41 AM
i pull that trade with the knicks just for 1yr rental on curry....heck we can just give him away and keep wilson chandler if his any good and start rebuilding around a younger core of players...

parkers contract expires next seasons anyway and duncan the year after it....FO wont be hurt much in the pocket

u guys actually think splitter will settle for a proportion of the MLE? if i were him would take the MLE if you want him to sign here.....sure he might be unproven in the nba, but he still gets better offers in europe...and the deal the spurs put on the table isnt enticing...

guzmangm
04-12-2010, 10:09 AM
I think what a lot of people don't realize is professional athletes don't retire at 65 like most of us... That is they have to make their money now and hope it last till they are old and grey and then die (god willing). They are probably mostly only good at one thing too, basketball. To be at this level, the highest, takes lots of time and dedication. In some cases, lifelong to get this good. Exception Duncan (freak of nature, swimmer in high school). I think David Robinson started late too. Point is they probably aren't going to become tax accountants or bus drivers after their nba careers have ended. They mostly (except Bonner, heard used mass transit) have a high standard of living and most likely woundn't want to give it up. Honestly most of us woundn't want too either... The most they have to look forward too are coaching careers, nba analysts, dancing with the stars... haha.

mountainballer
04-12-2010, 10:38 AM
I think what a lot of people don't realize is professional athletes don't retire at 65 like most of us... That is they have to make their money now and hope it last till they are old and grey and then die (god willing).

ah yes. you did realize that the average NBA player doesn't make 4 times as much as the average working people, so that you would have a point, considering he has about 10-12 years to make his money as opposed to 40-50 years for me and you?
NBA players make about 40 times the money.

and did you ever consider the fact, that if you make big money in short time, you also have capital to work with, capital that if invested conservatively (and if you are not named Toine Walker) will bring you a much greater income from 35 to 65 than you could ever make by work?

well and last, it's not forbidden for any former NBA player to work for money after their career.

kaji157
04-12-2010, 11:42 AM
I have not given up on RJ, the guy is still inconsistent, but he has shown signs that he wants to fit in, he didnīt complain in the whole year about having some games where he was given 3 or 4 shoots.

I think that is commitment. And if he opts out to sign a longer contract quite on his market Value, i wonīt doubt having someone like him back if he proves usefull in the PO.

Gervin44Silas13
04-12-2010, 12:42 PM
RJ is pissed because Manu got his moola and since Rj has been a bust in this city the fans are letting him him know his worth....which is 0!

You want to opt out RJ? Go right along and ***** do it....

Next thing you know hell be coming out of the closet.... and say "IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMMMM GGGGGGGAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY!"

CGD
04-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Depending on their longterm outlook on Nash, I could actually see the Suns offering RJ a similar deal to the one he describes in the article. Hill is most likely gone, and I think a Nash, Richardson, RJ line up gives Amare reason to consider staying. Toss in a good glue guy like Almundson in the starting 5 and that's a nice team.

dbestpro
04-12-2010, 01:35 PM

They should put you on staff.

guzmangm
04-12-2010, 02:30 PM
ah yes. you did realize that the average NBA player doesn't make 4 times as much as the average working people, so that you would have a point, considering he has about 10-12 years to make his money as opposed to 40-50 years for me and you?

and did you ever consider the fact, that if you make big money in short time, you also have capital to work with, capital that if invested conservatively (and if you are not named Toine Walker) will bring you a much greater income from 35 to 65 than you could ever make by work?

well and last, it's not forbidden for any former NBA player to work for money after their career.

yes, 40x the money and also 40x the cost. That is what i was saying. They have a high standard of living that you or I can't even comprehend. I would hate to give that up if it were me. Also conservative investment is kind of an oxymoron. Conservative investment, i.e. low risk equals lower return. High risk equals high reward. We can't understand it, because we are not in that situation. If I was a pro athlete and I hadn't made a lot of money before and I had one last chance to cash in then I would have to cash in. That's why they tell college players to turn pro, so they can guarentee the money before it too late, injury. I know, it sucks, my horns have been burnt by it a lot recently...

Spurs Brazil
04-12-2010, 03:07 PM

That'd be nice. Hope R.C read this

DynastySpurs210
04-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Who cares, we got manu!!!!!!! :D

Libri
04-12-2010, 04:59 PM

Somebody text message this to Mr. Holt. :cell

da_suns_fan
04-12-2010, 05:24 PM
Who the hell is going to pay him 4/40 million dollars?

Hes averaging 12 points and...4.5 rebounds. His three point shooting is 31%.

Thats a MLE type of player. NOT a 10 million a year player.

Spurs should let him opt out and dare anyone to offer more than the MLE. They wont. There is a ZERO market for RJ.

Waps1980
04-12-2010, 06:47 PM
God some of you people love to drill every player about anything you can, I guess that’s what forums are for.

All he said was what every player would say.
Everyone wants him to leave next season, but the Spurs can’t move him so he’s actually given them an option he’ll opt out for ‘X’ if they want to try move him.
Not sure if he really wants to leave but he has copped his bit of stick since being here. It’s not even so much he’s had trouble fitting in to the way the Spurs play more him & TP don’t fit together.
He’s not doing this cos Maun did that’s just stupid to think that.
His goal as a professional is to make the most he can in his short time. If that means giving up 15mil next year for 9-10mil a year for 4 years then so be it.

Donnie Hathaway
04-12-2010, 06:48 PM
RJ on the aforementioned comments posted on NBA FANHOUSE
( toward the end)

http://www.nba.com/spurs/multimedia/100412_jefferson_shoot.html?rss=true&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SpursRSS+(Spurs.com+News+and+ Updates (http://www.nba.com/spurs/multimedia/100412_jefferson_shoot.html?rss=true&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SpursRSS+%28Spurs.com+News+an d+Updates))

callo1
04-12-2010, 07:19 PM
I don't blame RJ at all for saying that. He is correct in everything he stated. He knows this will probably be his last major contract of his career, so he wants to get more years.

This is a smart move on his part.

I hope that whatever he decides is a smart decision on his part.

spursfan1000
04-12-2010, 08:00 PM
If Jefferson wants to leave let him, it takes 15 mill off the books.

DMX7
04-12-2010, 10:38 PM
RJ on the aforementioned comments posted on NBA FANHOUSE
( toward the end)

http://www.nba.com/spurs/multimedia/100412_jefferson_shoot.html?rss=true&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SpursRSS+(Spurs.com+News+and+ Updates (http://www.nba.com/spurs/multimedia/100412_jefferson_shoot.html?rss=true&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SpursRSS+%28Spurs.com+News+an d+Updates))

Jefferson sure says "ahh" a lot in his interviews.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-12-2010, 10:45 PM

Spurs should let him opt out and dare anyone to offer more than the MLE. They wont. There is a ZERO market for RJ.

In a run and gun system, Jefferson would put up more than 12 and 4.

TDMVPDPOY
04-12-2010, 11:00 PM
thats alot of money leaving it on the table

15m remainining, and askin for 25m extention

why not play out that 15m
then sign with whoever else for the MLE 25/5 or 30/6....actually theres like 3-4 teams with capspace right this is excluding the former teams offerin max...so i think some team is going to offer him money anyway...

Big P
04-12-2010, 11:35 PM

I agree with the suns fan.:(

DMX7
04-12-2010, 11:39 PM
Of course the Spurs would let him walk. They're probably going to try and convince him that he should because they don't want him back at all (at least at the 10+ million mark).

SenorSpur
04-12-2010, 11:45 PM
If RJ does indeed opt out, does anybody like Travis Outlaw as a possible FA signing to replace him? A better fit, perhaps?

kaji157
04-13-2010, 12:08 AM
Those sayin "the spurs should let RJ opt out" must understand that RJ wonīt opt out unless he had an offer before opting out.

He wonīt opt out to check the market. And i think this is a callup for the Spurs FO like "i know you are paying lux tax, avoid a little and give me some years. Would be great if the Spurs offered him 4 years at 30 millions, but i doubt he would take that as bad as he is playing.

DMX7
04-13-2010, 01:23 AM
Those sayin "the spurs should let RJ opt out" must understand that RJ wonīt opt out unless he had an offer before opting out.

He wonīt opt out to check the market. And i think this is a callup for the Spurs FO like "i know you are paying lux tax, avoid a little and give me some years. Would be great if the Spurs offered him 4 years at 30 millions, but i doubt he would take that as bad as he is playing.

Is he allowed to field offers while under contract (even informally)?

Waps1980
04-13-2010, 01:28 AM
I was thinking the same thing

kaji157
04-13-2010, 01:29 AM
Is he allowed to field offers while under contract (even informally)?

Players are not allowed to negotiate new contracts before july 1st. Yet, we can negotiate extensions. While negotiating an extension the subject of using his ETO might come up, even if itīs not allowed.

bigfan
04-13-2010, 09:22 AM
Nobody is going to walk away from that much money, period.

TJastal
04-13-2010, 09:48 AM
If RJ does indeed opt out, does anybody like Travis Outlaw as a possible FA signing to replace him? A better fit, perhaps?

Much better fit w/ Parker in the starting lineup indeed

G-Dawgg
04-13-2010, 02:37 PM
Too bad, He's really started to become a deadly weapon for us now that the team looks for him alot more on quick outlet fast-breaks and cutting to the hoop. Jefferson's level of play since the All-Star break has been big part of the reason we've been having alot of success lately. He's really been running many of our opponents into the ground. I hope Jefferson stays. -Parker, Hill, and Jefferson on a fast-break is a pretty nice trio- throw Ginobili into that mix, and I'm sure there aren't many teams in this league that want to run with those horses...

UnWantedTheory
04-13-2010, 07:45 PM

There are too many haters out there. Comparing our life and lifestyles to theirs is kind of unfair. They make alot of money and are accustomed to a different way of living compared to us. I would not want to go from a mansion to a 3 bedroom house either. There are very few in the NBA with complete degrees with which to make a decent living close to what they have now. I dont blame anyone for going where the money is. Everyone here would do the same if it is possible. The only loyalty they owe anyone is to themselves and their families. If I want a new job, than I will be seeking one making as much as I am making now or hopefully more. This just isnt a game, its their job. Its very easy to say what an intelligent person in their shoes would do...blah, blah, blah,...but we arent there. They are. I want a pay raise as well. Anyways, I just wish he would have declined to respond to the question at this point in time. I want focus going into the PO. I also believe that RJ is way overpaid for what he brings, but I dont think we can find his production next year if he opts out.