PDA

View Full Version : Mohammed getting into a playoff groove

MaNuMaNiAc
05-05-2005, 07:08 AM
Mohammed getting into a playoff groove

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA050505.8C.BKNspurs.mohammed.2429d41e0.html

Web Posted: 05/05/2005 01:00 AM CDT

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

It was the most fortuitous missed dunk of the Spurs' 4-1 Western Conference first-round playoff series with the Denver Nuggets: Nazr Mohammed's fourth-quarter jam attempt that careened high off the back rim and into the hands of Tim Duncan with eight minutes left in Game 5, with the outcome still in question.

Duncan spotted teammate Glenn Robinson, unguarded at the 3-point line, and fired him a pass that Robinson converted, turning Mohammed's momentary embarrassment into an instant of jubilation.
Denver had to call a timeout to try to quell the roar of the crowd, and Mohammed headed to the Spurs' bench, able to laugh at his own awkward moment.

The fact the Spurs went on to a 99-89 victory that advanced them to the conference semifinals enabled Mohammed to be one of the heroes of the night after a strong performance made more vital when Rasho Nesterovic, still nursing a sprained left ankle, played only one minute.

"It's always unfortunate when somebody goes down, but it's part of this league," Mohammed said. "Somebody has to be ready to step up and play. It's a great opportunity for me. I was still trying to learn the system, and I got an opportunity to play through some mistakes and get comfortable out there.

"I'm pretty comfortable now, but I've still got a long way to go. I'm reacting more and thinking less now, and that's always a good thing."

Mohammed played 32 minutes and had his second double-double of the series, a 10-point, 13-rebound outing against a Denver front line he called one of the league's toughest and most athletic. Mohammed also blocked two shots and limited Denver's Marcus Camby to six points.

"That's what Nazr does for us," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "He's a defender and a rebounder. He's an especially good offensive rebounder, and that's his role. He plays it very well for the short time that he's been here."

Mohammed's play in the series — he started every game and was the Spurs' No. 2 rebounder against Denver, behind only Duncan — was vital to the team's success.

"It was huge for us," Spurs backup power forward Robert Horry said. "To come out and be big for us in a game like this, maybe that will take some pressure off of him for having replaced Malik (Rose), a guy that was so loved. Maybe now, he can relax and play some basketball."

Mohammed came to the Spurs in the Feb. 24 trade that sent Rose to the New York Knicks, angering a lot of fans who admired Rose's hustle and toughness.

"I felt comfortable out there tonight," Mohammed said. "I like to think I was playing pretty well before I got here. The biggest thing I have been trying to do is think less offensively than when I was in New York and more just defensively, and concentrating on rebounding."

Now Mohammed heads to the second round of playoffs for what he says is the first time in his career.

"That's almost like a trick question when you ask how deep I've gone," Mohammed said. "Reason I say that is I didn't play much when we went to the second round when I was in Philadelphia. One season, I didn't even make the playoff roster. Then, last year in New York, when I was playing a lot, we got swept in the first round."

ggoose25
05-05-2005, 07:15 AM
Nazr has taken his game to another level in the playoffs

We will need him to continue to man up against the strongarm frontcourt of Seattle if we want to advance

The fact the Spurs went on to a 99-89 victory that advanced them to the conference semifinals enabled Mohammed to be one of the heroes of the night after a strong performance made more vital when Rasho Nesterovic, still nursing a sprained left ankle, played only one minute.

I thought Rasho looked good in game 4...not bothered by the ankle at all. Obviously thats not the case. The three day break will do him good

SouthernFried
05-05-2005, 07:37 AM
Nazr could be a very good center. I've been most impressed with his defense during these playoffs. His offense could be helped with a little lower body/leg strength work. No way he shoulda missed a dunk like he had, and someone of that size shouldn't have to rely on up-fakes down low, he should be going up strong.

He may have some leg injuries I'm not aware of. But, with a little lower body strength training, Nazr could be one of Pop's more brilliant moves...in a long line of brilliant moves.

Dre_7
05-05-2005, 08:01 AM
I think its just a habit he has of trying to make a move in the post, instead of just taking it right up. If he works on it, he can break that habit.

He is looking great though. I cant wait to see how he plays next year, with an offseason and training camp under his belt.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-05-2005, 08:05 AM
Mohammed played 32 minutes and had his second double-double of the series, a 10-point, 13-rebound outing against a Denver front line he called one of the league's toughest and most athletic. Mohammed also blocked two shots and limited Denver's Marcus Camby to six points.

Where are the Nazr hatas at now?

Useruser666
05-05-2005, 08:19 AM
:lol

SpursWoman
05-05-2005, 08:29 AM
Go Nazr, Go! :elephant

spur219
05-05-2005, 08:49 AM
I was always for the trade eventhough I hated to see Malik go. But I knew that Nazr would make this team better. And he is playing well at the right time of the year. I see him playing with a lot more passion and hustle than when he was in New York. He is always defending and just looking to rebound. Nazr is looking good.

SPARKY
05-05-2005, 08:49 AM
Nazr has taken his game to another level in the playoffs

We will need him to continue to man up against the strongarm frontcourt of Seattle if we want to advance

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/images/basketball/nba/players/3260.jpg

I Go To This Next Level.

ChumpDumper
05-05-2005, 09:42 AM
He may have some leg injuries I'm not aware of.Calf and groin.

boutons
05-05-2005, 09:54 AM
"Calf and groin."

His excellent RB/G, requiring total body effort/strength, indicates Nazr ain't limited very much by his old injuries. He's just a weak finisher.

T Park
05-05-2005, 10:12 AM
aint limited???

Your kidding right.

The guy cant push off of his left leg, and he cant jump as high as he wants.

The rebounding is because hes a tough SOB and gets good position.

BTW, last night what did he have about 8 or 9 DEFENSIVE rebounds.

That was another knock on him was that he was just an offensive rebounder.

ChumpDumper
05-05-2005, 10:12 AM
indicates Nazr ain't limited very much by his old injuries.The calf injury isn't old, and it definitely affects his lift.

manustarting2gd
05-05-2005, 10:19 AM
Nasty Naz.

GrandeDavid
05-05-2005, 10:26 AM
Nazr is doing a tremendous job defensively and on the boards. But he terrifies me on offense.

Useruser666
05-05-2005, 10:39 AM
He should be fined $100 for every pump fake he makes after the first one. :lol He has gotten a lot better. He needs to tighten up his rotations on D, finish quicker not stronger, and hold on to the ball tightly.

T Park
05-05-2005, 10:48 AM
His upfakes were part of the reason some guys got in foul trouble.

1 upfake is enough though.

SouthTexasRancher
05-05-2005, 10:58 AM
It will be interesting to see how good Nazr can become after his experience in the playoffs, a full training camp and a whole year with the team. Once he gets completely familiar with Pop's system, offensively and defensively, he seems to have what it takes to be a real force. He is just so much more active than Rasho will ever be or so it seems.
GO SPURS, GO!

SPARKY
05-05-2005, 11:24 AM
"Calf and groin."

His excellent RB/G, requiring total body effort/strength, indicates Nazr ain't limited very much by his old injuries. He's just a weak finisher.

Rasho is a weak finisher, croutons.

exstatic
05-05-2005, 11:40 AM
I thought Rasho looked good in game 4...not bothered by the ankle at all. Obviously thats not the case. The three day break will do him good

He only played 11 minutes, and picked up 4 fouls, 3 rebs, and one blk.

TMSKILZ
05-05-2005, 12:36 PM
Let's just be thankful we have Naz & Rash on our team during this playoff run, should only help, only knock I have on both playas is that their OFF game needs a lot of work & consistency!

They're both contributing each game in different ways positively.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-05-2005, 01:05 PM
I hope they can lock him up to a long-term deal this summer, because I have a feeling with an off-season and summer to work on his game under the tutelage of the Spurs staff he's gonna be an absolute monster next year.

boutons
05-05-2005, 01:19 PM
"Rasho is a weak finisher"

correct, but we're talking about Nazr. Take your Ritalin and try to stay on topic.

SPARKY
05-05-2005, 01:22 PM
Rasho was offered as an example of a "weak finisher" as an example of why such a claim in regards to Nazr was misguided.

Stop wasting this forum's time, croutons.

Slomo
05-05-2005, 01:32 PM
Boutons,
Don't confuse Sparky with common sense or logic - he's "special". So just nod and slowly move toward the exit, when left alone he usually loses concentration pretty quickly and wanders off in the internets.

SPARKY
05-05-2005, 01:43 PM
Wherever I go in this forum I find Slowmo hanging on my nutsack. Go figure.

Slomo
05-05-2005, 01:50 PM
Wherever I go in this forum I find Slowmo hanging on my nutsack. Go figure.
Can you say P-A-R-A-N-O-I-A?

SPARKY
05-05-2005, 01:53 PM
Yes, you must be paranoid or hold some other disorder if you make it so easy for someone to get into your head by posting in a forum.

bigbendbruisebrother
05-05-2005, 02:06 PM
Take your Ritalin and try to stay on topic.
:lol

Slomo
05-05-2005, 02:14 PM
Down boy, down.

One of the first signs of paranoia is the feeling of being followed, which is exactly what you exhibited in your previous post (plus a penchant for homoerotic fantasies).

As for getting into people heads you just proved that you really have the attention span of a gold fish. Let me remind you about your type of responses:

Don't talk to me about what it means to be a Spurs fan motherfucker. I've been with this team for years while you were humping goats or whatever in the bucolic hills of your native Slovenia and dreaming of being cornholed by Radoslav The Great.

exstatic
05-05-2005, 02:17 PM
This message is hidden because SPARKY is on your ignore list.

It's the only way to go. :lol

Begin Clavin/fanny pack smack

SPARKY
05-05-2005, 02:32 PM
Down boy...

No doubt that's not the first time you've uttered that phrase, Jacko.

As for getting into people heads you just proved that you really have the attention span of a gold fish. Let me remind you about your type of responses:

Now he's quoting me. Go figure.

http://www.istrianet.org/istria/fauna/goats/images/goat-sloistria350.jpg

SPARKY
05-05-2005, 02:33 PM

Yet another SPARKY groupie.

spurster
05-05-2005, 03:56 PM
Nazr has really stepped it up during the playoffs. We would have almost forgotten about Malik except that he got robbed.