PDA

View Full Version : Sons, "Treme" premiers tonight . . . Bunk plays the trombone, Freamon is an Indian

ShoogarBear
04-11-2010, 04:27 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/09/treme.review.ew/t1larg.jpg

Plus John Goodman, Khandi Alexander, Allen Toussaint . . . sounds like a winner. God Bless.
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/09/treme.review.ew/index.html?hpt=Sbin

(EW.com) -- "Treme," the new drama from the creator of "The Wire," David Simon, captures a musical culture in a way that's unlike anything that has ever been done on television or in the movies.

Set in New Orleans three months after Hurricane Katrina, "Treme" -- named after a neighborhood in the city known for its rich cultural heritage -- follows a wide array of citizens struggling to rebuild their lives.

There. I got the high praise and the obligatory just-the- facts summary out of the way. Now, then: Hoo boy, are you going to have fun watching this.

It bursts with great rhythm & blues, funk, and jazz music (bouncing covers of everything from George Clinton's ''Pumpin' It Up'' to Bobby Womack's ''It's All Over Now''). It's got superb performances from two "Wire" vets, Wendell Pierce (as devilish trombone player Antoine) and Clarke Peters (as the leader of a Mardi Gras Indian tribe).

There's also Steve Zahn, in his first TV series, playing a ditzy DJ; John Goodman as a righteous English professor; and Khandi Alexander (forget "CSI: Miami" -- this is her best work since 2000's "The Corner," another Simon project) as Ladonna, a bar owner. Add cameos by Dr. John, Elvis Costello, the genius record producer Allen Toussaint, and many lesser-known but terrific musicians as both players and actors (go get Trombone Shorty's new album, Backatown, now!), and "Treme" explodes with pleasure.

And pain. Without becoming a pious bummer, the show never lets you forget the unending tragedy in New Orleans: parents looking for missing relatives; government policies that increase red tape and anguish; and local businesses trying, heroically, to remain in a place where money, food, and electricity are in short supply. ''I just want my city back,'' moans Zahn's Davis at one point, and our hearts go out to a chef played by "Deadwood's" Kim Dickens, struggling to keep her small restaurant open.

There are times when Treme's large cast, overlapping dialogue, and gliding tracking shots can remind you of the film work of director Robert Altman (think "Thieves Like Us" or "McCabe & Mrs. Miller," not his condescending country-music film "Nashville"). Simon and co-creator Eric Overmyer use a variety of writers and directors while achieving a unified tone and look that gives the damp rubble of Treme a muted visual beauty. Simon has little use for subtle arguments; you know Goodman's prof is speaking the auteur's thoughts when he says the government should be ''put on trial'' for pre-and post-Katrina policies.

The artistic achievement of "Treme" is that it blends bluntness with the nuances of gorgeous music.

EW Grade: A

IronMaxipad
04-11-2010, 09:20 PM
Fuck you treme thread

tlongII
04-11-2010, 10:22 PM
Are there any boobs in it? I like boobs.

monosylab1k
04-12-2010, 09:47 AM
the wire sucked

:lol

Mark in Austin
04-12-2010, 12:05 PM
the wire sucked

okay. don't forget to take your ritalin today. :lol

ShoogarBear
04-12-2010, 09:20 PM
the wire sucked

It was edgy, controversial, literate, and thought-provoking . . . just like elpimpo used to be.

Spurminator
04-12-2010, 09:39 PM
So what did y'all think?

ShoogarBear
04-12-2010, 10:32 PM
It's probably going to take 2-3 episodes to get into the story lines. THey have to introduce characters and unlike The Wire can't use shootings and murders as easy plot hooks. Hopefully it doesn't get soap-opera-ish, though I find it hard to believe David Simon would let that happen.

The acting and music were top notch. Kind of cool how HBO is putting links on their web site to buying the songs for each episode.

Clarke Peters was great. His character is a weird dude, but when he put on the Big Bird outfit, LMAO.

Goodman was hilarious. But curiously he's credited as a guest start, so I guess he won't be on for long. Steve Zahn and Wendell Pierce were also great.

balli
04-12-2010, 10:37 PM
I thought it was good. Well acted, well written, beautifully filmed. It left me wanting for the high stakes gangster/political implications of the Wire, but that show's done and I still liked this one. The Zahn character was kind of annoying, I thought.

I think it'll do well with the masses. It's a show about rebuilding the things that really matter. Right for the times.

phxspurfan
04-12-2010, 11:01 PM
Goodman was hilarious. But curiously he's credited as a guest start, so I guess he won't be on for long. Steve Zahn and Wendell Pierce were also great.

I wanted him to throw that camera over the edge...

200 miles
04-12-2010, 11:02 PM
the zahn character was kind of annoying, i thought.

+1

Spurminator
04-12-2010, 11:13 PM
Steve Zahn reminded me a bit of Ziggy Sabotka at times.

ShoogarBear
04-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Steve Zahn reminded me a bit of Ziggy Sabotka at times.

That's exactly the same thought I had. He's supposed to be annoying. I suspect there will be badness happening to him as a result.

balli
04-12-2010, 11:58 PM
I liked Ziggy though. Obviously, we're only one episode in and it isn't a deal breaker anyway, but Ziggy did cool shit like serving a duck whiskey while saying, 'pace yourself now, you're drinking with the longshoremen tonight."

Zahn just stole expensive wine. He seemed like more of an asshole than a moron.

Still, good point, the character has a purpose and reason.

Mark in Austin
04-16-2010, 01:49 PM
I thought it was good. Well acted, well written, beautifully filmed. It left me wanting for the high stakes gangster/political implications of the Wire, but that show's done and I still liked this one. The Zahn character was kind of annoying, I thought.

I think it'll do well with the masses. It's a show about rebuilding the things that really matter. Right for the times.

I really liked the first episode and agree with balli's take. I think it's going to interesting to see how much Simon brings in The Wire's systemic failure theme - there's certainly the opportunity to do so in a show about NO. But I hope they keep the focus more on the individuals - as much as The Wire's worldview was ultimately a downer - showing how various systems failed the individual, my hope is Treme focuses on the other, just as legitimate side of that coin: the individual making a difference.

No disrespect to The Wire - I think it is the best show ever produced for television. What made it so relevant on so many different levels was that it is a portrait of a particular point in the history of America. Hopefully Simon realizes that Treme has to capture a different point in our history. If he returns too much to The Wire's thematic well, it might still make for great drama, but it won't be in the Great American Show pantheon that The Wire finds itself in.

First episode: A-

Mark in Austin
04-16-2010, 01:58 PM
That's exactly the same thought I had. He's supposed to be annoying. I suspect there will be badness happening to him as a result.

I liked Ziggy though. Obviously, we're only one episode in and it isn't a deal breaker anyway, but Ziggy did cool shit like serving a duck whiskey while saying, 'pace yourself now, you're drinking with the longshoremen tonight."

Zahn just stole expensive wine. He seemed like more of an asshole than a moron.

Still, good point, the character has a purpose and reason.

Agree that Zahn's character seems like the weak link so far. Assholes abound in Simon's work, what I don't find are story crutches of selfish assholes getting what they deserve just to satisfy the viewer. That's the kind of hack writing Simon professes to hate; so I have faith that more will be revealed / Zahn's character will serve the larger story as the series progresses.

CuckingFunt
04-16-2010, 02:01 PM
Zahn's not the Ziggy of this show.

Think back to season 1 McNulty.

bostonguy
04-16-2010, 03:29 PM
No disrespect to The Wire - I think it is the best show ever produced for television. What made it so relevant on so many different levels was that it is a portrait of a particular point in the history of America. Hopefully Simon realizes that Treme has to capture a different point in our history. If he returns too much to The Wire's thematic well, it might still make for great drama, but it won't be in the Great American Show pantheon that The Wire finds itself in.

Question. Is The Wire a super slow paced show?

CuckingFunt
04-16-2010, 04:16 PM

Overall? I would say yes.

But I mean that as a compliment.

Spurminator
04-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Zahn's not the Ziggy of this show.

Think back to season 1 McNulty.

Yeah I don't necessarily think Zahn is destined to a similar fate as Ziggy. All I meant was the mannerisms were similar.

I really liked the first episode and agree with balli's take. I think it's going to interesting to see how much Simon brings in The Wire's systemic failure theme - there's certainly the opportunity to do so in a show about NO. But I hope they keep the focus more on the individuals - as much as The Wire's worldview was ultimately a downer - showing how various systems failed the individual, my hope is Treme focuses on the other, just as legitimate side of that coin: the individual making a difference.

Great post. I would love to see Treme be about the ability of humanity to rebuild DESPITE the systematic failure around them...

But whatever it is, I'm sure it will be awesome.

Mark in Austin
04-16-2010, 06:59 PM

It is not a show that you can put on and watch while you're doing something else. You have to pay attention in order to get anything out of it. Otherwise, you'll just be confused. But to me the show wasn't slow-paced; it just packed so much more detail into each hour than other shows did.

You also have to watch the episodes in order because the episodes are not self-contained stories. Think of each episode as a chapter in a book. So if you're one of those "books suck, Y R they so boring" people, then it's probably not the series for you.

CuckingFunt
04-26-2010, 11:51 AM
No one's posted since the first episode (including myself), are people still watching?

I have a feeling that Sonny and the violin chick are going to end up being a big part of the show, but I haven't yet developed a reason to care about either of them. Other than that, however, I'm getting completely hooked.

ShoogarBear
04-26-2010, 07:12 PM
It's growing on me. I didn't know it was a David Simon production I might have stopped watching, cause it's sometime slow going.

By far the most interesting story is Antoine's. Lambreaux (the Chief) is the most interesting character.

Everything John Goodman does is funny.

The Steve Zahn character so far has done nothing except be obnoxious.

The violin chick is . . . umm . . . interesting to watch when she plays.

Kermit
04-26-2010, 09:05 PM
Couldn't make it past half of the first episode. Slow doesn't even begin to describe this show. It was nice to look at but I need some character development and I don't want to wait around for 3 episodes to see some. Plus, Steve Zahn sucks balls.

balli
04-27-2010, 06:54 PM
No one's posted since the first episode (including myself), are people still watching?
:tu

I'm really digging the music, as much as any other aspect of the show. I watch for the story, I rewatch for the songs.

Davis (Zahn) is progressively growing on me.

It's hard for me not to refer to Albert and Antoine as Freamon and The Bunk. Not a knock on their acting, but shit, you spend 60+ hours watching certain actors- you can't help but typecast a bit. I agree though, two most compelling characters.

balli
05-10-2010, 11:57 PM
WTF? Anybody? Anybody? You still hooked Funt? This show's gotten better and better with each passing episode. It's now (much) better than anything else on TV. Anybody have anything to say?

CuckingFunt
05-10-2010, 11:59 PM
WTF? Anybody? Anybody? This show's gotten better and better with each passing episode. It's now (much) better than anything else on TV. Anybody have anything to say?

I'm really enjoying it. Been too busy with end-of-the-semester papers and finals to even fully digest the episodes, though, let alone discuss them.

balli
05-11-2010, 12:08 AM
I'm really enjoying it. Been too busy with end-of-the-semester papers and finals to even fully digest the episodes, though, let alone discuss them.

Oh. Well post when you got the time. I'm interested in hearing what the people have to say.

My thoughts are that the dialogue is awesome. That was fucked up when the cops beat Antoine and sometimes Davis annoys me more than other times. And I don't like druggies who treat hot girls like shit. I hope that asshole winds up OD'ing or something and she goes on to commercial success.

Destro
05-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Treme is my favorite show on TV right now. I love the character development and the music is awesome. I love how many themes are going on in the show, it feels very authentic. great writing/acting

balli
05-23-2010, 10:35 PM
God, this show is so damn good. I feel really bad for anyone unfortunate enough to have acquiesced to Lost or whatever other network crap they're watching on Sunday nights besides Treme.

Kermit
05-23-2010, 11:48 PM
God, this show is so damn good. I feel really bad for anyone unfortunate enough to have acquiesced to Lost or whatever other network crap they're watching on Sunday nights besides Treme.

God damn you're a fucking douche bag.

CuckingFunt
05-24-2010, 12:21 AM
I personally don't get the appeal of "Lost," but I'm not about to fault anyone for watching it. Lord knows I like some absolutely mindless TV shows from time to time.

Glad I've been watching "Treme," though. The writing and acting are both top notch so far.

balli
05-24-2010, 12:32 AM
I personally don't get the appeal of "Lost," but I'm not about to fault anyone for watching it. Lord knows I like some absolutely mindless TV shows from time to time.
I'm not faulting anybody for it. I'm watching that shit right now on Netflix. Actaully I am faulting people for it, but still, truly, it's just because I feel bad that kooks get so ramped up for crap that's broken up every ten minutes by laundry and car commercials. People deserve better; there shouldn't be so much hype for shit, while true something of real value goes unnoticed.

God damn you're a fucking douche bag.
Asshole would've fit, maybe, but I'm hardly popping my collar and calling you 'brah' over a fucking TV show. So choose your words better and don't mix my condescendingly empathetic attitude about American consumerism with caricature from Jersey Shore.

Ballcox
05-24-2010, 03:57 PM
It took the first 2-3 episodes to begin figuring out the characters, story lines, etc. But at this point I have to say I'm enjoying the hell out of this show, presents a very unique perspective of post-Katrina New Orleans and the struggles these characters are going through. Love the music, much of which I've never really listened to much before, and the different character stories are just pulling me in more and more. I'd have to give it a solid A- or even an A at this point.

ShoogarBear
05-24-2010, 06:10 PM
I am starting to get into it too.

It's a much more difficult sell than The Wire in that, when it comes to story hooks, crime, violence, and murder can't be beat. Obviously, The Wire was much more than that, but the action kept things from ever being slow.

While the plot lines here are less compelling, the characters and actors have been tremendous.

I've always liked John Goodman, but he's been incredible. His character teeters close to the edge of being gratingly sententious, but he pulls it back and keeps it entertaining.

Zahn has become less annoying, but his character is still a massive fuckup waiting to happen. Which is a good thing.

I haven't really seen anything Clarke Peters has done other than this and The Wire, but it looks like the man can do anything.

Wendell Pierce shows he has enough charisma to carry a show. I doubt the music we're hearing is actually him, but can anyone tell if he's really playing the bone? I know the girl who plays Annie is a real musician.

Khandi Alexander is another person who can do almsot anything, but damn, she always has depressing parts in dramas.

The music, which is like an additional character unto itself, is a real treat. I like being able to download some of them from hbo.com, but I wish more were available.

CuckingFunt
04-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Season two starts two weeks from tonight.

Been seeing the cast around town like crazy lately, which has made me very eager for new episodes.

CuckingFunt
04-10-2011, 12:13 PM
Wendell Pierce shows he has enough charisma to carry a show. I doubt the music we're hearing is actually him, but can anyone tell if he's really playing the bone? I know the girl who plays Annie is a real musician.

Most of the people who play musicians are real musicians -- I've seen a number of them playing club gigs around town. And apparently Pierce is learning/has learned to play trombone so that he can at least fake it realistically.

Spurminator
04-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Awesome, I didn't even hear it got renewed.

ShoogarBear
04-10-2011, 01:08 PM
Whoa, the Funt is in New Orleans now?

CuckingFunt
04-10-2011, 01:18 PM
Whoa, the Funt is in New Orleans now?

For nearly a year now.

ShoogarBear
04-10-2011, 01:25 PM
For nearly a year now.

Which clubs you working?

ShoogarBear
04-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Oh, my bad, this isn't the Quattro.

CuckingFunt
04-10-2011, 01:33 PM
What's the Quattro?

TheTruth
04-11-2011, 06:36 AM
Very excited. I've been finishing them up On Demand. Great characters, great writing, great show.