PDA

View Full Version : Buck Harvey: Big Dog discovers new trick, old shot

MaNuMaNiAc
05-05-2005, 07:12 AM
Buck Harvey: Big Dog discovers new trick, old shot

Web Posted: 05/05/2005 01:00 AM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/bharvey/stories/MYSA050505.1C.COL.BKNharvey.2429d398f.html

San Antonio Express-News

The last time Robinson and Duncan went into the second round, Robinson was about five inches taller.
That Robinson was also ending his Spurs career, not beginning. That Robinson had no legal baggage, and no one ever said that Robinson didn't live up to his word.

And when that Robinson left on his terms in 2003, as a champion, he accomplished what nearly everyone dreams about.

This Robinson?

Wednesday suggests he could have something in common with that one.

This Robinson — Glenn — was a onetime No. 1 overall pick, as was David. He was a onetime All-Star, too.

Glenn also earned a lot of money. When he signed with the Bucks as a rookie for $68.1 million, the contract prompted the NBA to fight for standardized contracts for rookies.

Glenn repaid the Bucks with jumpshots. And when George Karl arrived in Milwaukee, creating his usual turnaround optimism, Glenn loved the moment.

"I've looked at Jordan, Magic and Bird, knowing they played their whole careers for one team," Robinson said in the spring of 2001. "They took their team to the next level, and that's what I've always wanted to do."

Robinson was poised to do just that late in a critical Game 5 against Philadelphia in the 2001 Eastern Conference Finals. He had a 10-footer then; had he not missed, it's likely the Bucks would have played the Lakers that season in the Finals.

Robinson wouldn't see the playoffs again until this spring, and he would miss in other ways, too. Robinson was arrested in the summer of 2002 and charged with misdemeanor counts of domestic battery, assault and unlawful possession of a firearm.

Less than 24 hours after news of the incident went public, Robinson released a statement apologizing to his family, fans and the organization. For those looking for a contrast in Robinsons, nothing is greater than that.

The Bucks traded Robinson. The same player who once wanted to be one of those stars who "played their whole careers for one team" was now an Atlanta Hawk.

What followed changed the meaning of his nickname, Big Dog. Robinson scored points as usual in Atlanta but, after being traded to Philadelphia, things fell apart. As the Los Angeles Times recently described the scenario:

"(Robinson) went home after losing his starting job in Philadelphia, sat out almost the entire season claiming an injury to keep getting his $12.1-million salary and announced upon his return (to the Spurs), "I just go out and do what Glenn Robinson do."

Bad attitude and bad grammar? Again, this Robinson didn't appear to have anything in common with the other.

Some of the Spurs say they heard the stories, too, but the perception doesn't fit with what they've seen. He's worked to fit in, and here's how much.

His role model is Steve Kerr.

"I keep him in my mind," Robinson said. "He was always ready, no matter when the Spurs needed him. That's how I want to be prepared."

Robinson didn't play a minute in Game 3 in Denver, and he didn't bark. Big Dog instead cheered from the bench.

In Game 4 he banged for 11 minutes, and when he came off the floor Rasho Nesterovic was there with monotone Slovenian encouragement. "Way to go Big Doggie!" he said.

And then came Wednesday. After throwing in a 17-footer with about eight minutes left, he followed with the sequence that stretched the Spurs to a lead that would never be challenged. After Nazr Mohammed missed a dunk, Tim Duncan tapped out to Robinson standing at the 3-point line.

"That's the best time to shoot a three," Robinson said.

It's also the best time to make one. Lifting the Spurs to an eight-point lead, Robinson, for a moment, was Kerr.

With Denver eliminated, the other Spurs felt the weight lifted off their shoulders. Robinson instead went to the back of the locker room to lift weights.

He's still trying to catch up on his conditioning. He thinks he will be better the longer the playoffs go, and this is possible with Seattle next: Given Robinson's size, he might match up with Rashard Lewis as well as anyone.

Robinson doesn't worry about what comes next. He's not playing for the money or the ego, but just to be on a team. "I've smiled more in the last month," he said, "than I did in the previous two years."

And if the second round turns into more?

This Robinson could smile like that one.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-05-2005, 07:21 AM
I'm glad this guy is having fun. Its like a new beggining for him. I hope we sign him next season, although I don't think that's possible.

ggoose25
05-05-2005, 07:23 AM
"Way to go Big Doggie!" :lmao

SouthernFried
05-05-2005, 07:50 AM
Well, he made me smile last night too. Good luck to him.

Phenomanul
05-05-2005, 08:25 AM
"Way to go Big Doggie!" :lmao

It has Rasho written all over it..... :lol :lol

SPARKY
05-05-2005, 08:43 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/images/basketball/nba/players/3260.jpg

"Way to go Big Doggie!"

The gift that keeps on giving...

spur219
05-05-2005, 08:44 AM
I am glad to see a positive side of Glenn Robinson. I do see him much happier and much more of a team player than he ever has been. Or atleast since his Bucks days.

SPARKY
05-05-2005, 08:48 AM
Prior to joining the Spurs Glenn Robinson was just another deadbeat overpaid NBA player who beat up his girlfriend. Now he's "Big Doggie"...

T Park
05-05-2005, 10:24 AM
Fantastic article.

It was Steve Kerr esque his role last night, coming in the 4th quarter and bagging a three point dagger.

Given Robinson's size, he might match up with Rashard Lewis as well as anyone

Someone is copying TIMVP's game notes :smokin

sa_butta
05-05-2005, 10:26 AM
Keep Up The Good Shooting
Big Dog We Need You

SPARKY
05-05-2005, 10:59 AM
So much for the saintly Spur myth. Once GRobinson leaves SA he can go back to being just another out of control rich spoiled NBA negro.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-05-2005, 08:07 PM
when he came off the floor Rasho Nesterovic was there with monotone Slovenian encouragement. "Way to go Big Doggie!" he said.

The mental picture is hilarious. WIth that eastern European twang... :lol