PDA

View Full Version : Mavs Seek Vengeance for 2006 Collapse

duncan228
04-11-2010, 09:43 PM
Mavs Seek Vengeance for 2006 Collapse (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/04/11/mavs-seek-vengeance-for-2006-collapse/)
By Sam Amick

Four years later, they're finally laughing about it.

Not really, of course. There's nothing funny about choking on the biggest of stages, and Dallas' collapse to Miami in the 2006 NBA Finals certainly left Dirk Nowitzki and Co. clutching their respective necks.

But in those unpleasant times when pondering their shared moment of darkness, the Mavericks who remain from the most painful of postseason exits have long since entered the laugh-so-you-don't-cry mode.

"We joke all the time (about it), but knowing deep down that it really hurt," said Mavericks guard Jason Terry, one of three Dallas players who was there, along with Nowitzki and Erick Dampier, when a 13-point, fourth-quarter lead in Game 3 quickly became the first of four straight losses to Dwyane Wade and the Heat. "It hurt us, and until we get back to where we're supposed to be that's how we're going to think about it."

Beating the Kings on Saturday night was hardly hard evidence that Dallas is in championship form again, but it certainly beat the alternative. They treated an inferior team with the proper potency, with their 126-108 decision at Arco Arena earning them sole possession of the No. 2 seed in the Western Conference.

It will be a similar situation on Monday, when Dallas visits the lowly Clippers before hosting San Antonio in its regular season finale Wednesday.

And while the seventh-seed Spurs certainly won't be looking to do Dallas any favors either then or in a possible first round match-up, they did just that by downing Denver on Saturday to give the Mavericks a one-game lead on the Nuggets, Utah and Phoenix.

The Mavericks -- who hold the head-to-head tiebreaker on the Nuggets and Suns but not the Jazz -- have now won six of their last eight games and are 21-7 since acquiring two-time All-Star Caron Butler, budding big man Brendan Haywood and defensively-capable DeShawn Stevenson from Washington on Feb. 14. The move has been a success beyond the record, with the Mavericks' makeover bringing added toughness, balance and depth.

And for the non-newcomers, it's a chance at long-awaited redemption too. Theirs was a postseason punishment that didn't stop in 2006, as Golden State's well-chronicled first-round upset of the Mavericks a year later served as belated salt in the wound and spoiler to their 67-win regular season in which Nowitzki won the MVP award.

"I really like the move we made," Nowitzki said of the trade after following his 40-point outing at Portland Friday with 39 points against the Kings.

"We're suited for the playoffs. We all know the West is so stacked that it's tough to get out of the first round. You've got to battle. Whatever happens, happens. I think we have a good team. We all love to play with each other and we've got to go for it."

And to stay focused.

While league scouts say the Mavs' inability to defend consistently remains the main obstacle to a long playoff run or a possible unseating of the reigning champion Lakers, the length of Dallas' playoff life will have everything to do with Nowitzki and his sheer desire. If his treatment of the off-season schedule is any indication, this is certainly his priority -- not to mention part of his legacy. Nowitzki said he was undecided whether he would play for the German national team in this summer's World Championships in Turkey, with his decision depending partly on how deep into the summer he plays with the Mavericks.

"I play every year like it's my last and try to go as far as I can," said Nowitzki, who is in his 12th season and will turn 32 in June. "Every night I try to show up and help this franchise win games. That's how I look at it. At the end of my career, if I look back and can say, 'Hey, I left it all out there,' maybe it was good enough to win it all, maybe it wasn't. But I know that once I retire I know I'll have left it all out there."

Jason Kidd and Nowitzki are like-minded in that sense, future Hall of Famers whose resumes lack only a championship and who would love nothing more than to right their wrongs of playoffs past. They have been masters of the regular seasons, with Dallas' latest 50-plus win campaign making it 10 straight of that kind in a feat only achieved by four teams all-time.

The 37-year-old Kidd -- who was dealt from New Jersey to Dallas in February 2008 -- is far more motivated to win just one Larry O'Brien trophy after losing twice in the Finals while with the Nets (2001 and 2002).

"We all, in this locker room, have had our opportunities in the Finals and sometimes it doesn't go your way," said Kidd, who already ranked third all-time in triple-doubles behind Oscar Robertson (181) and Magic Johnson (138) before logging his 105th against the Kings (11 points, 13 rebounds, 10 assists). "But that doesn't keep you from fighting. That's why we play the game, to be a champion. But if it doesn't happen, you can only say you gave your best effort."

Health and happiness will have a say in the Mavericks' fate. As owner Mark Cuban pointed out, teams like Oklahoma City have benefited greatly from avoiding injuries this season. Dallas isn't so lucky at the moment, as small forward Shawn Marion missed his third straight game with a strained left oblique muscle and said he won't know if he can play Monday until he tests his ailment at today's practice.

When it comes to contentment, centers Erick Dampier and Haywood continue to compromise in a way neither is accustomed to and their respective moods are worth watching. Haywood started his first 15 games after the trade while Dampier was out with a dislocated right finger, but he has come off the bench in six of the last 10 games. He turned his ankle in the second quarter against the Kings and returned after having it taped, but coach Rick Carlisle said afterward that the ankle was not the reason Haywood logged just seven minutes, 37 seconds. That mark was 20 seconds more than his season low and just the third time this season he played less than 10 minutes.

"How I feel doesn't matter," Haywood said when asked about his lack of playing time. "It's about wins and losses. You can go home and complain to your family and friends about how you feel. Right now, I just come in here and try to win whether I play one minute or 31 minutes. That's not my decision."

Yet as all involved are well aware, no one will be complaining if they win it all. The past would be just that, and the laughter would be a far more enjoyable kind.

"I think about (2006) every day; every day," Terry said. "It's so tough to get back. And for whatever reason, we hadn't been able to (get back), but we feel like this is our year. With that in the back of our minds, we've got to go out there every night and lay it on the line because you just never know."

Ghazi
04-11-2010, 09:52 PM
JET said it was our year last year tbh.

Finals were a travesty imo.

ShoogarBear
04-11-2010, 09:53 PM
So it took four years for the Mavs to get to a point where the rest of us have been all along.

DPG21920
04-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Mavs Seek Vengeance for 2006 Collapse (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/04/11/mavs-seek-vengeance-for-2006-collapse/)
By Sam Amick

Four years later, they're finally laughing about it.

Not really, of course. There's nothing funny about choking on the biggest of stages, and Dallas' collapse to Miami in the 2006 NBA Finals certainly left Dirk Nowitzki and Co. clutching their respective necks.:lmao

But in those unpleasant times when pondering their shared moment of darkness, the Mavericks who remain from the most painful of postseason exits have long since entered the laugh-so-you-don't-cry mode.

"We joke all the time (about it), but knowing deep down that it really hurt," said Mavericks guard Jason Terry:lmao, one of three Dallas players who was there, along with Nowitzki and Erick Dampier, when a 13-point, fourth-quarter lead in Game 3 quickly became the first of four straight losses to Dwyane Wade and the Heat. "It hurt us, and until we get back to where we're supposed to be that's how we're going to think about it."

Beating the Kings on Saturday night was hardly hard evidence that Dallas is in championship form again, but it certainly beat the alternative. They treated an inferior team with the proper potency, with their 126-108 decision at Arco Arena earning them sole possession of the No. 2 seed in the Western Conference.

It will be a similar situation on Monday, when Dallas visits the lowly Clippers before hosting San Antonio in its regular season finale Wednesday.

And while the seventh-seed Spurs certainly won't be looking to do Dallas any favors either then or in a possible first round match-up, they did just that by downing Denver on Saturday to give the Mavericks a one-game lead on the Nuggets, Utah and Phoenix.

The Mavericks -- who hold the head-to-head tiebreaker on the Nuggets and Suns but not the Jazz -- have now won six of their last eight games and are 21-7 since acquiring two-time All-Star Caron Butler, budding big man Brendan Haywood and defensively-capable DeShawn Stevenson from Washington on Feb. 14. The move has been a success beyond the record, with the Mavericks' makeover bringing added toughness, balance and depth.

And for the non-newcomers, it's a chance at long-awaited redemption too. Theirs was a postseason punishment that didn't stop in 2006, as Golden State's well-chronicled first-round upset of the Mavericks a year later served as belated salt in the wound and spoiler to their 67-win regular season in which Nowitzki won the MVP award.

"I really like the move we made," Nowitzki said of the trade after following his 40-point outing at Portland Friday with 39 points against the Kings.

"We're suited for the playoffs. We all know the West is so stacked that it's tough to get out of the first round. You've got to battle. Whatever happens, happens. I think we have a good team. We all love to play with each other and we've got to go for it."

And to stay focused.

While league scouts say the Mavs' inability to defend consistently remains the main obstacle to a long playoff run or a possible unseating of the reigning champion Lakers, the length of Dallas' playoff life will have everything to do with Nowitzki and his sheer desire. If his treatment of the off-season schedule is any indication, this is certainly his priority -- not to mention part of his legacy. Nowitzki said he was undecided whether he would play for the German national team in this summer's World Championships in Turkey, with his decision depending partly on how deep into the summer he plays with the Mavericks.

"I play every year like it's my last and try to go as far as I can," said Nowitzki, who is in his 12th season and will turn 32 in June. "Every night I try to show up and help this franchise win games. That's how I look at it. At the end of my career, if I look back and can say, 'Hey, I left it all out there,' maybe it was good enough to win it all, maybe it wasn't. But I know that once I retire I know I'll have left it all out there."

Jason Kidd and Nowitzki are like-minded in that sense, future Hall of Famers whose resumes lack only a championship and who would love nothing more than to right their wrongs of playoffs past. They have been masters of the regular seasons, with Dallas' latest 50-plus win campaign making it 10 straight of that kind in a feat only achieved by four teams all-time.

The 37-year-old Kidd -- who was dealt from New Jersey to Dallas in February 2008 -- is far more motivated to win just one Larry O'Brien trophy after losing twice in the Finals while with the Nets (2001 and 2002).

"We all, in this locker room, have had our opportunities in the Finals and sometimes it doesn't go your way," said Kidd, who already ranked third all-time in triple-doubles behind Oscar Robertson (181) and Magic Johnson (138) before logging his 105th against the Kings (11 points, 13 rebounds, 10 assists). "But that doesn't keep you from fighting. That's why we play the game, to be a champion. But if it doesn't happen, you can only say you gave your best effort."

Health and happiness will have a say in the Mavericks' fate. As owner Mark Cuban pointed out, teams like Oklahoma City have benefited greatly from avoiding injuries this season. Dallas isn't so lucky at the moment, as small forward Shawn Marion missed his third straight game with a strained left oblique muscle and said he won't know if he can play Monday until he tests his ailment at today's practice.

When it comes to contentment, centers Erick Dampier and Haywood continue to compromise in a way neither is accustomed to and their respective moods are worth watching. Haywood started his first 15 games after the trade while Dampier was out with a dislocated right finger, but he has come off the bench in six of the last 10 games. He turned his ankle in the second quarter against the Kings and returned after having it taped, but coach Rick Carlisle said afterward that the ankle was not the reason Haywood logged just seven minutes, 37 seconds. That mark was 20 seconds more than his season low and just the third time this season he played less than 10 minutes.

"How I feel doesn't matter," Haywood said when asked about his lack of playing time. "It's about wins and losses. You can go home and complain to your family and friends about how you feel. Right now, I just come in here and try to win whether I play one minute or 31 minutes. That's not my decision."

Yet as all involved are well aware, no one will be complaining if they win it all. The past would be just that, and the laughter would be a far more enjoyable kind.

"I think about (2006) every day; every day," Terry said. "It's so tough to get back. And for whatever reason, we hadn't been able to (get back), but we feel like this is our year. With that in the back of our minds, we've got to go out there every night and lay it on the line because you just never know."

Stringer_Bell
04-11-2010, 09:56 PM
The Mavs were definitely looking like some scary mofos after the trade deadline, and Dirk is putting a beating on everyone, but I ain't too scared of them anymore. To give them credit though, whoever takes them out in the playoffs will owe more to what the Mavs do to hurt themselves than what the other team does right.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-11-2010, 10:17 PM
So when will they get revenge for the 2007 collapse?

poop
04-11-2010, 10:34 PM
the same calls Wade/the Heat got in the Finals, were the same calls Dirk/the Mavs got in the spurs-dallas series in 2006...so the Mavs fans have NO ROOM to complain

mavsfan1000
04-11-2010, 10:47 PM
the same calls Wade/the Heat got in the Finals, were the same calls Dirk/the Mavs got in the spurs-dallas series in 2006...so the Mavs fans have NO ROOM to complain
Mavs and Spurs had almost equal amount of free throws. Mavs and Heat was very lopsided on the free throw count. Even Jordan didn't get as much ridiculous calls as Wade did in the finals.

Hemotivo
04-11-2010, 10:52 PM

:wakeup

poop
04-11-2010, 11:01 PM
Mavs and Spurs had almost equal amount of free throws. Mavs and Heat was very lopsided on the free throw count. Even Jordan didn't get as much ridiculous calls as Wade did in the finals.

no faggot, in Game 3 in Dallas the Mavs shot more free throws (50+) than any team in recent memory including more that the Heat in Any game in the 2006 finals....in pivotal game 3 Dirk shot more than 20 freethrows while Tim Duncan was kept in foul trouble the Entire game and FOULED OUT when Dirk ran over him in one of the worst most notorious calls in playoff history HANDING the Mavs game 3 and Dirk Shot more freethrows than any perimeter jumpshooter in league history thats series.

DJ Mbenga
04-11-2010, 11:03 PM
who's out for more revenge the mavs or the spurs for the first round raping. its it revenge vs revenge the 1st round?

Findog
04-11-2010, 11:07 PM

Spurs shot more FTs in that series, I'm pretty sure. I think Duncan shot more FTs than Dirk. No use crying about that or the 06 Finals.

Amarelooms
04-11-2010, 11:12 PM
no faggot, in Game 3 in Dallas the Mavs shot more free throws (50+) than any team in recent memory including more that the Heat in Any game in the 2006 finals....in pivotal game 3 Dirk shot more than 20 freethrows while Tim Duncan was kept in foul trouble the Entire game and FOULED OUT when Dirk ran over him in one of the worst most notorious calls in playoff history HANDING the Mavs game 3 and Dirk Shot more freethrows than any perimeter jumpshooter in league history thats series.

Go wash your vagina...what about last year when ya'll got face fucked...now shutup dummy

:elephant

poop
04-11-2010, 11:12 PM
all i can take comfort in is the Mavs' Empty trophy case

hahahahaHHAHAHAHHAA!!!

poop
04-11-2010, 11:13 PM
Go wash your vagina...what about last year when ya'll got face fucked...now shutup dummy

yep...last year when you guys Dominated our injured, depleted team...and got RAped in the following round!!! JUST LIKE THE MAVS!!!! HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHAAA

poop
04-11-2010, 11:14 PM
hey...take Pride in your latest Southwest Division Regular Season Title!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHUOUUOUOUOUOUOOUOUUUUUAUAUUAUA UUAJHAHHAHAHHHHHHHH!!!!

Amarelooms
04-11-2010, 11:15 PM
yep...last year when you guys Dominated our injured, depleted team...and got RAped in the following round!!! JUST LIKE THE MAVS!!!! HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHAAA

okay after this year we'll see what new excuse you come up with....your name represents what your brain is made of

Jacob1983
04-11-2010, 11:16 PM
Spurs fans, why bitch about your team not getting calls? Your team has 4 championships. You shouldn't be complaining about not getting calls in one series. Try being a fan of a team that has no championship then you can talk. :toast

poop
04-11-2010, 11:18 PM
okay after this year we'll see what new excuse you come up with....your name represents what your brain is made of

ok. talk to me when your Dallas Mavs win a Title!!!!

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAA

YOU MAD??????

HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHA

Findog
04-11-2010, 11:20 PM
2006 Western Semis, Mavs-Spurs:

Game 1 at San Antonio: Spurs 30 FTAs, Mavs 28. Duncan 12 FTAs, Dirk 6.
Game 2 at San Antonio: Spurs 37 FTAs, Mavs 43. Duncan 14 FTAs, Dirk 7.
Game 3 at Dallas: Spurs 32 FTAs, Mavs 50. Duncan 8 FTAs, Dirk 24.
Game 4 at Dallas: Spurs 32 FTAs, Mavs 32. Duncan 8 FTAs, Dirk 15.
Game 5 at San Antonio: Spurs 31 FTAs, Mavs 19. Duncan 15 FTAs, Dirk 4.
Game 6 at Dallas: Spurs 34 FTAs, Mavs 20. Duncan 10 FTAs, Dirk 8.
Game 7 at San Antonio: Spurs 39 FTAs, Mavs 31. Duncan 23 FTAs, Dirk 16.

Findog
04-11-2010, 11:21 PM
Spurs shot 12 more free throws than Dallas did in that series. Duncan shot 10 more free throws than Dirk.

Amarelooms
04-11-2010, 11:22 PM
crickets :elephant

badfish22
04-11-2010, 11:23 PM
I refuse to argue with a game named poop who has Spurs 2006 NBA Champs under his name lol

Findog
04-11-2010, 11:29 PM
Mavs-Heat 2006 Finals:

Game 1 at Dallas: Mavs 26 FTAs, Heat 19. Wade 10, Dirk 6.
Game 2 at Dallas: Mavs 28, Heat 32. Wade 14, Dirk 11.
Game 3 at Miami: Mavs 26, Heat 34. Wade 18, Dirk 12.
Game 4 at Miami: Mavs 27, Heat 36. Wade 9, Dirk 13.
Game 5 at Miami: Mavs 25, Heat 49. Wade 25, Dirk 5.
Game 6 at Dallas: Mavs 23, Heat 37. Wade 21, Dirk 8.

alchemist
04-11-2010, 11:31 PM
t5XNWFw5HVw

Findog
04-11-2010, 11:31 PM
Heat shot 66 more free throws than Dallas did. Wade shot 42 more free throws than Dirk. I'm not saying that's fair officiating or not, but it really is stupid to say that Dallas "got a taste of its own medicine" in the Finals after the way the 2006 Western semis played out.

Gary Neville
04-11-2010, 11:33 PM
Mavs-Heat 2006 Finals:

You ain't getting any FTA if your offensive work relies on the only means of fade away shooting and attempting 3 pointers from miles away to the paint. Someone just played like a pussy in that series and there really wasn't any reason for his meager FTAs other than this, which subsequently cost the Mavs the series as well as the O'Brien.

Findog
04-11-2010, 11:36 PM
You ain't getting any FTA if your offensive work relies on the only means of fade away shooting and attempting 3 pointers from miles away to the paint. Someone just played like a pussy in that series and there really wasn't any reason for his meager FTAs other than this, which subsequently cost the Mavs the series as well as the O'Brien.

Cool story bro. I just wish you had the cognitive ability to accomplish basic reading comprehension. I didn't say anything about whether the officiating in the Finals was fair or not. I just posted the numbers. The numbers prove that any Spur fan who complains about the 2006 Western semis and says the Mavs "got a taste of their own medicine" in the Finals is full of shit.

Findog
04-11-2010, 11:40 PM
The Heat averaged one more free throw attempt per game than San Antonio did against the Mavs in 2006.

Gary Neville
04-11-2010, 11:41 PM
Heat shot 66 more free throws than Dallas did. Wade shot 42 more free throws than Dirk. I'm not saying that's fair officiating or not, but it really is stupid to say that Dallas "got a taste of its own medicine" in the Finals after the way the 2006 Western semis played out.
You still don't get it even though 4 years has passed. It has to be admitted that refs whistled a big too frequently in that series and that's all the abnormality I can tell. just because Dirk and his fellows Mavs didn't get as many FTAs as heat got it doesn't mean there's something venal with refs, as far as I can clearly remember I think the Mavs would also have got an analogous amount of FTAs if they had attacked the paint more as the Heat did, but they didn't and chose to be pussies shooting bullshit 3 pointers and jumpers they wouldn't make.

Amarelooms
04-11-2010, 11:41 PM
Mavs-Heat 2006 Finals:

LOL at this over 50 more FT...notice how the Heat progressively got more FT's as the series went on.

Granted the Mavs should have played better and could have won despite it but this was complete bullshit

Findog
04-11-2010, 11:46 PM
You still don't get it even though 4 years has passed. It has to be admitted that refs whistled a big too frequently in that series and that's all the abnormality I can tell. just because Dirk and his fellows Mavs didn't get as many FTAs as heat got it doesn't mean there's something venal with refs, as far as I can clearly remember I think the Mavs would also have got a comparable amount of FTAs if they had attacked the paint more as the Heat did, but they didn't and chose to be pussies shooting bullshit 3 pointers and jumpers they wouldn't make.

Cool story bro. Who are you arguing with? What are you wasting your keystrokes on? I'm not holding forth on the credibility of the officiating in the 2006 Finals. I didn't even read past your first sentence. Take that shit up with somebody else who cares.

It's a favored myth by Spur fan on this site that Dallas got shafted by the refs in the 2006 Finals the way the Spurs got shafted by the refs in the semis. The numbers show conclusively that is not the case.

Can you refute the bolded part? No, you can't. Thanks for playing.

ffadicted
04-11-2010, 11:46 PM
Elleh Em Eff Eh Oh Dallas

Ghazi
04-11-2010, 11:49 PM

sup Rogue

Findog
04-11-2010, 11:51 PM
Spurs-Mavs series:

Spurs 33.57 FTAs per game, Duncan 12.85 FTAs per game (6.15 above season average)
Mavs 31.85 FTAs per game, Dirk 11.42 FTAs per game (4.02 above season average)

Heat-Mavs series:

Heat 34.50 FTAs per game, Wade 16.16 FTAs per game (5.46 above season average)
Mavs 25.83 FTAs per game, Dirk 9.16 FTAs per game (1.76 above season average)

Ironically, Duncan enjoyed a higher FT boost than Wade did over regular season averages.

Ghazi
04-11-2010, 11:52 PM
I'll admit, it took me longer than usual this time to catch the Roguester :lol

poop
04-11-2010, 11:53 PM
HAHA you fags IGNORING the 2006 semi finals....when you fags and Dirt got that same exact treatment as Wade got in the Finals..

i think we can ALL AGREE...that the 2006 NBA playoffs were a Tainted BULLSHIT fest...
for EVERYONE

HarlemHeat37
04-11-2010, 11:56 PM
Dirk averaged 10 FTA per game in the 2006 playoffs..
Duncan averaged 10.1 FTA per game in in the 2006 playoffs..
Wade averaged 11 FTA per game in the 2006 playoffs..

Duncan had 50% of his shot attempts inside the paint and Wade had 35% of his shot attempts in the paint..Dirk? 19%..

Kind of funny that a guy that had 81% of his FGA coming from jump shots went to the line so much..

Just saying..I'm a Dirk fan BTW, I was just pointing this out..I hope he gets his life together, love is beautiful..

Findog
04-11-2010, 11:57 PM
HAHA you fags IGNORING the 2006 semi finals....when you fags and Dirt got that same exact treatment as Wade got in the Finals..

Do they teach teh maths at San Antonio public schools?

Spurs-Mavs series:

Spurs 33.57 FTAs per game, Duncan 12.85 FTAs per game (6.15 above season average)

Heat-Mavs series:

Gary Neville
04-11-2010, 11:58 PM
It's a favored myth by Spur fan on this site that Dallas got shafted by the refs in the 2006 Finals the way the Spurs got shafted by the refs in the semis. The numbers show conclusively that is not the case.

I'm not a Spurs fan and I've never advocated any brigade with a biased view. It's pettish argument for Spurs to blame the refs for their loss to Mavs in 06 because I don't see any unfairness of officiating in that series, but that's exactly what Mavs fans did after their ate their own share of medicine. The Mavs and Spurs just lost to a better team when their fates subsequently came, the only nuance between your complaints and the grumbles of Spurs fans is that you only consider the finals rigged while Spurs fans think both series were rigged.

Findog
04-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Duncan had 50% of his shot attempts inside the paint and Wade had 35% of his shot attempts in the paint..Dirk? 19%..

Kind of funny that Wade averaged 4 more FTAs per game than Duncan when he shot fewer shots inside the paint. Dirk's 9-11 FTAs per game in the playoffs is on par with his style of play. Wade got more FTAs than a dominant big man. Interesting...

HarlemHeat37
04-12-2010, 12:00 AM
I don't disagree that Wade got a lot of calls, he definitely did..Cuban probably shouldn't have opened his mouth about the rules in 2004 though, no?..

Ghazi
04-12-2010, 12:02 AM
When a team with Jason Williams and Antoine Walker in its starting lineup wins a championship, you know something fishy was going on.

Everyone knows the Mavs were screwed in a horrendous way in the Finals.

Let's just leave it at that instead of rehashing old arguments.

Findog
04-12-2010, 12:05 AM
I don't disagree that Wade got a lot of calls, he definitely did..Cuban probably shouldn't have opened his mouth about the rules in 2004 though, no?..

No, I don't agree with that. I like this style of play better with less hand-checking on the perimeter. That Pacers-Pistons series in 2004 was dreadful to watch.

I have to give credit to the Heat for beating us in 2006. It does a franchise no good to adopt an excuses-making, sore loser mentality. There are basketball reasons above and beyond the refs that explains why that series turned out the way it did.

Gary Neville
04-12-2010, 12:07 AM
Kind of funny that Wade averaged 4 more FTAs per game than Duncan when he shot fewer shots inside the paint. Dirk's 9-11 FTAs per game in the playoffs is on par with his style of play. Wade got more FTAs than a dominant big man. Interesting...
The shots he attempted in the paint were almost all that he attempted because he knew he had no chance get the ball in if he shot elsewhere, from areas near the paint. Dirk was aware that his shots had to be launched from somewhere far from the paint because he knew he was a pussy and would only get rejected if he attempted the shots in the areas where Wade shot his, which is the only explanation for the peculiar ratio of FTAs between Wade's and Dirk's.

Gary Neville
04-12-2010, 12:08 AM
When a team with Jason Williams and Antoine Walker in its starting lineup wins a championship, you know something fishy was going on.

Everyone knows the Mavs were screwed in a horrendous way in the Finals.

Let's just leave it at that instead of rehashing old arguments.
AW wasn't too bad that year and Jason Williams still plays decent game nowadays.

poop
04-12-2010, 12:10 AM
the ENTIRE 2006 playoffs were tainted. all the reaching you fags do wont make a difference. the league knew that duncan sucks at FT while Dirt is 100% at freethrows. this factors into everything. Miami got heavily favored over Detroit(look at the stats), just like the Mavs got heavily favored over the Spurs.

in 2006, the Pistons and Spurs were CLEARLY the best teams in the entire league and Destined for a Finals rematch unless the league intervened.

Gary Neville
04-12-2010, 12:21 AM
the ENTIRE 2006 playoffs were tainted. all the reaching you fags do wont make a difference. the league knew that duncan sucks at FT while Dirt is 100% at freethrows. this factors into everything. Miami got heavily favored over Detroit(look at the stats), just like the Mavs got heavily favored over the Spurs.

in 2006, the Pistons and Spurs were CLEARLY the best teams in the entire league and Destined for a Finals rematch unless the league intervened.
The league doesn't need to manipulate the officiating to subsidize the teams it favours, which is the very basic fact that most of you Spurs fans have ignored. They could just use a ball packaged with iron foil and a magnetic hoop to pump up the FG% of the team they favour, which is as easy to adjust as video games.

Gary Neville
04-12-2010, 12:27 AM
Spurs fans proposition: 06 finals was rigged exactly as much as the Western semi-finals where the Spurs played against Mavs
Mavs fans proposition: only the 06 finals against Miami Cheat was rigged, the previous 3 rounds that Mavs had won were all clear as virgins, fuck Spurs fans.

The debate started off as soon as the Cheat were done stomping the Mavs, and now it seems it will last for ever as long as the game exists.

poop
04-12-2010, 12:31 AM
Spurs fans proposition: 06 finals was rigged exactly as much as the Western semi-finals where the Spurs played against Mavs
Mavs fans proposition: only the 06 finals against Miami Cheat was rigged, the previous 3 rounds that Mavs had won were all clear as virgins, fuck Spurs fans.

hhahah exactly.

xellos88330
04-12-2010, 12:39 AM
The only game that irritated me in the '06 semis vs. Dallas was game 3. 50 FT for a jump shooting team? Really???

redzero
04-12-2010, 02:36 AM
When I first read the title, I thought "vengeance against whom?"

diego
04-12-2010, 09:18 AM
the total FT counts are totally irrelevant. it doesnt tell you if they called them the same on both ends, or if they let everything go or were ticky tacky, or if they simply made 1-2 huge mistakes .

duncan should have shot freethrows at the end of regulation in game 7. it was just as much of a foul as manu on dirk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcUK8xDVh_8&feature=related

the logic that you dont end a series with a call is BS when thats exactly what allowed the mavs to tie in the first place.

and for the heat, cuban got what he deserved. he wanted a freethrow fest and his boys in blue lost, because they couldnt hit their freethrows vs an inferior team.

Mr.ChugDynasty
04-12-2010, 09:38 AM

The debate started off as soon as the Cheat were done stomping the Mavs, and now it seems it will last for ever as long as the game exists.

How old were you when the 2006 finals took place? 10? 12?
STFU faggot

in2deep
04-12-2010, 09:41 AM
good to know they are finally laughing about it. As the rest of the world has been laughing about it for 4 years

Mr.ChugDynasty
04-12-2010, 09:44 AM
good to know they are finally laughing about it. As the rest of the world has been laughing about it for 4 years

cool f'in story bro.
That probably has been said about 3 times already.
Nice try though faggot, you're hilarious

in2deep
04-12-2010, 09:46 AM
cool f'in story bro.

LOL u mad?

Mr.ChugDynasty
04-12-2010, 09:48 AM
LOL u mad?

LOL read the thread son

Indazone
04-12-2010, 10:39 AM
LOL When will they ever learn. Waiting for the 2011 version of this.

http://drownthechildren.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/lucy-football.jpg

Sportstudi
04-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Spurs-Mavs series:

Heat-Mavs series:

Ironically, Duncan enjoyed a higher FT boost than Wade did over regular season averages.

Findog, poop is simply too dumb to accept it. In both series the Mavs had less FT's than the other team and Dirk had less FT's than Duncan/Wade. To say that the Mavs/Dirk were treated both times as the superior team is just bullshit. But what do you expect on a Spurs board?

Sportstudi
04-12-2010, 12:04 PM
duncan should have shot freethrows at the end of regulation in game 7. it was just as much of a foul as manu on dirk.

I have no problem to say that this should have been a foul, I agree. But to say (like poop) the whole series was rigged in favour of the Mavs is just pure bullshit.

lefty
04-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Mavs-Heat 2006 Finals:

Yep

Wade was more agressive than jump-shooting Dirk

The Cougar
04-12-2010, 01:13 PM
Last i checked Dirk missed his FT at the end of Game 3, and that would have made it 3-0 and the Mavs would have won the series

mavs>spurs2
04-12-2010, 01:21 PM
Last i checked Dirk missed his FT at the end of Game 3, and that would have made it 3-0 and the Mavs would have won the series

last i checked it was some bullshit officiating that even let the Heat back into the game and it should have been 3-0 regardless

Fpoonsie
04-12-2010, 01:29 PM
It was the timeliness and questionable nature of the foul calls that initially bugged me about that series, not the amount.

However, by the end of game 7, I was so hopped up on bars and alcohol (to get me through the game) and a bowl or two (to get me past the game's outcome) that the whole thing is a bit of a dark void in my memory.

The Cougar
04-12-2010, 01:34 PM
last i checked it was some bullshit officiating that even let the Heat back into the game and it should have been 3-0 regardless

Yes well despite the "bullshit officiating" your star player still had a chance to ice it at the line, and he blew it.

mavs>spurs2
04-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Yes well despite the "bullshit officiating" your star player still had a chance to ice it at the line, and he blew it.

not every superstar is 100% from the line over their careers, like Tim Duncan

The Cougar
04-12-2010, 01:41 PM
not every superstar is 100% from the line over their careers, like Tim Duncan

Well in Tim Duncan's defense, he actually has to make a jumpshot to end the game.

mavs>spurs2
04-12-2010, 01:51 PM
well in tim duncan's defense, he actually has to make a jumpshot to end the game.

esl?

monosylab1k
04-12-2010, 01:56 PM

No it would have tied the game and sent it to OT.

Seriously, what is with Spurfan trying to talk shit and getting it all wrong?

badfish22
04-12-2010, 01:56 PM
cool f'in story bro.

:lmao

The Cougar
04-12-2010, 01:58 PM
esl?

I'm assuming as esl you mean english second language. Nothing could be further from the truth. See i was referring to Dirk winning games at the ft line, and Duncan wining games making jumpshots. I can't recall Duncan getting a whistle under 30 seconds of a playoff game, and it not bein intentional

The Cougar
04-12-2010, 02:00 PM
No it would have tied the game and sent it to OT.

Seriously, what is with Spurfan trying to talk shit and getting it all wrong?

I strongly believe Mavs would have won that game ala game 7.

mavs>spurs2
04-12-2010, 02:01 PM
I'm assuming as esl you mean english second language. Nothing could be further from the truth. See i was referring to Dirk winning games at the ft line, and Duncan wining games making jumpshots. I can't recall Duncan getting a whistle under 30 seconds of a playoff game, and it not bein intentional

what is it with spur fans and selective memory?

monosylab1k
04-12-2010, 02:03 PM
I strongly believe Mavs would have won that game ala game 7.

I strongly believe you're a cheesedick but it doesn't change the fact that Dirk wasn't shooting FT's to win the game.

mavs>spurs2
04-12-2010, 02:11 PM
I strongly believe you're a cheesedick but it doesn't change the fact that Dirk wasn't shooting FT's to win the game.

:lmao

MavDynasty
04-12-2010, 02:24 PM
rofl dumbass bobcat fan

Trainwreck2100
04-12-2010, 02:24 PM

doesn't change the fact that Dirk missed the opportunity to extend the game and the lead

Findog
04-12-2010, 02:25 PM
Dirk's FTs would've tied the game and sent it to OT. He went to the line with the Mavs down two. No guarantee the Mavs would've prevailed in OT, but his missing that free throw denied them the chance. The series wasn't lost there. There were still in the driver's seat after that game. They fucked themselves with a no-show in Game Four.

MavDynasty
04-12-2010, 02:25 PM
doesn't change the fact that Dirk missed the opportunity to extend the game and the lead

lol 4-1

MavDynasty
04-12-2010, 02:26 PM

lol 4-3

MavDynasty
04-12-2010, 02:26 PM

lmfao shitty season

Trainwreck2100
04-12-2010, 02:36 PM
lol 4-1

lol 4-1 lol me paying 100 bucks for lower level seats, and standing up and cheering for them as time was going down. Lol manu being out so they weren't winning shit that year anyway.

Trainwreck2100
04-12-2010, 02:39 PM
lol 4-1 lol me paying 100 bucks for lower level seats, and standing up and cheering for them as time was going down. Lol manu being out so they weren't winning shit that year anyway.

also lol me for not getting a shirt from the tshirt launcher, it bounced off my fingertips

Johnny RIngo
04-13-2010, 01:58 PM
Findog, poop is simply too dumb to accept it. In both series the Mavs had less FT's than the other team and Dirk had less FT's than Duncan/Wade. To say that the Mavs/Dirk were treated both times as the superior team is just bullshit. But what do you expect on a Spurs board?

Dirk got more than his share of free throws considering the amount of shots he was taking. Here's the FTA/FGA for the reg season:

Wade(reg season): .569
Duncan(reg season): .437
Dirk(reg season): .383

In the second round, Dirk received a sizable boost compared to TD:

Dirk vs Spurs: .726
Duncan vs Mavs: .626

It's pretty apparent that Dirk got the preferential treatment from the refs here. In turn, he got jobbed against the Heat:

Wade vs Mavs: .698
Dirk vs Heat: .526

This all falls in line with what Spurs fans have been saying all along.

Jacob1983
04-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Wade hasn't done shit since in the playoffs since 2006. Just saying. I mean if he is such a great player like Stern tried to make him out to be in 2006 then why aren't the Heat a top seed in the East? Why haven't they gotten out of the first round since 2006?