PDA

View Full Version : Conan to make TBS his new home...

fraga
04-12-2010, 01:14 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36426047/ns/entertainment-television/

lurker
04-12-2010, 01:19 PM
Team Lo-Co!

Thunder Dan
04-12-2010, 01:19 PM
hopefully they give it it's fair share of promotion like they did with Frank TV. Those commercials never got old during the baseball playoffs

Dr. Gonzo
04-12-2010, 01:20 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing him in Austin this coming May.

Dex
04-12-2010, 01:23 PM
...ouch.

I'm sorry, but TBS just isn't as "very funny" as it obviously thinks it is. The only time I even flip to that channel is reruns of The Office. And any affiliation with Tyler Perry is not a good one.

If CoCo's show succeeds, it will not be because it is on TBS. It will be despite it.

Thunder Dan
04-12-2010, 01:24 PM
...ouch.

I'm sorry, but TBS just isn't as "very funny" as it obviously thinks it is. The only time I even flip to that channel is reruns of The Office.

If CoCo's show succeeds, it will not be because it is on TBS. It will be despite it.

you don't like Saved by the Bell or Seinfeld?

easjer
Great news. I'm looking forward to it.

Dex
you don't like Saved by the Bell or Seinfeld?

Ok, ok.

Seinfeld = :tu

SBTB = :td (though I used to love that 'ish back in the day)

Dex
04-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Still, that's just TBS usurping clasically funny material. Same goes for Family Guy.

I don't think I've ever been impressed with any TBS-native entertainment.

PakiDan
04-12-2010, 01:29 PM
While I was initially vehemently against watching a George Lopez talk show, I gradually softened up and watched one. It wasn't that bad... in fact, it was better than alot of his standup. I genuinely like the show now and think that pairing the two (Conan and Lopez) together is a great thing, and it just might mike TBS a big player in late night programming....

The Cougar
04-12-2010, 01:30 PM
I can't believe people thought he would go to Fox, i couldn't see very many affiliates signing on to that

The Cougar
04-12-2010, 01:44 PM
Yeah because that Corso Conan never had a previous relationship with FOX

Its not about that, right now the affiliates have full control of their 10:30 programming, which means full $$$ to themselves. If they started carrying Conan, that means less $$$ because they'd have to pay for rebrodcasting.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Best case scenario being on cable gives him the latitude to do the sort of stuff that worked on Late Night, just at an earlier slot.

BlackSwordsMan
04-12-2010, 02:27 PM
they better not get rid of my george lopez show

fraga
04-12-2010, 04:12 PM
George Lopez will come on after Conan...

in2deep
04-12-2010, 04:16 PM
So George Lopez got bumped the same way Conan was going to by Leno?

is this ironic or what?

TheMACHINE
04-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Will Conan be able to bring back the masturbating bear etc being on TBS?

PakiDan
04-12-2010, 05:23 PM
Will Conan be able to bring back the masturbating bear etc being on TBS?

No... because NBC is claiming those as trademark characters... I'm sure he'll find some creative way around that though...

Frenzy
04-12-2010, 05:31 PM
No... because NBC is claiming those as trademark characters... I'm sure he'll find some creative way around that though...

just pick another animal.

ace3g
04-12-2010, 06:29 PM

is this ironic or what?

Not true, actually Lopez called Conan to come to TBS. So Lopez probably didn't mind going to a later time.

exstatic
04-12-2010, 07:02 PM
What an epic fail. He only gets 4 nights a week (M-Th) and he starts right against local news, nation-wide, 11E/P, 10C.

Spurminator
04-12-2010, 07:08 PM
What an epic fail. He only gets 4 nights a week (M-Th) and he starts right against local news, nation-wide, 11E/P, 10C.

Nobody in Conan's demographic watches the local news.

Daily Show and Colbert, on the other hand... but that's where DVR will come in handy.

DJ Mbenga
04-12-2010, 07:17 PM
damn terrible time. no way in hell id watch conan over the daily show or colbert. i dont have dvr so he already lost

TheMACHINE
04-12-2010, 07:19 PM

is this ironic or what?

Leno left and came back to the exact same show. There is a difference.

Spurminator
04-12-2010, 07:22 PM
damn terrible time. no way in hell id watch conan over the daily show or colbert. i dont have dvr so he already lost

Good thing about cable is it'll probably be replayed several times a day. Like DS and Colbert.

Cane
04-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Good news for Coco but if its not on HULU or some website I won't be watching the show. Busy timeslot. Hopefully Andy Richter is left in the dust since imo he hurts the show more than helps it (bring back Joel and more Max please).

Leno left and came back to the exact same show. There is a difference.

Actually, Coco was going to to keep TNS just at a later time. Leno would've had a half hour show.

Dr. Gonzo
04-13-2010, 12:37 AM
Not true, actually Lopez called Conan to come to TBS. So Lopez probably didn't mind going to a later time.

It actually helps out George Lopez. Conan will provide a nice lead in for him so he should see a ratings boost.

The George Lopez show is actually not that bad. I was surprised at how entertaining it was.

exstatic
04-13-2010, 07:31 AM
Nobody in Conan's demographic watches the local news.

Daily Show and Colbert, on the other hand... but that's where DVR will come in handy.

I did think about that. Isn't/shouldn't he be trying to expand his demographic? I mean he must be somewhat interested in those people. He fought tooth and nail to keep Tonight from being bumped to 11C 12E/P just so he would HAVE local news as a lead in.

This TBS thing just seems weak. He'd have been better served, if he was jumping into the cable realm, to go with CC or HBO.

JudynTX
04-13-2010, 12:19 PM
I still won't watch.

JoeChalupa
04-13-2010, 12:21 PM
I'll check it out. Yeah, the George Lopez show ain't bad.

MiamiHeat
04-13-2010, 12:22 PM
LOL

Conan now bumping Lopez, irony

Spurminator
04-13-2010, 01:12 PM
I did think about that. Isn't/shouldn't he be trying to expand his demographic? I mean he must be somewhat interested in those people. He fought tooth and nail to keep Tonight from being bumped to 11C 12E/P just so he would HAVE local news as a lead in.

This TBS thing just seems weak. He'd have been better served, if he was jumping into the cable realm, to go with CC or HBO.

I think he had an affinity for The Tonight Show, and there's still a larger (and broader) audience on Broadcast vs. Cable.

But in the last ten years, TV viewership has been quickly migrating to cable. I think this move is evidence of that. The ratings by program are still higher on cable, but as far as total TV viewership, the majority of time spent watching TV is now on cable.

TBS still beats Comedy Central in the ratings, and absolutely kills pay cable. Aside from FOX, I think this might be the best possible spot for him.

baseline bum
04-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Damn, he's going to get half his shows bumped for fucking Braves games.