04-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Parents of Accused Text-Message Beater Apologize
Updated: 4 hours 22 minutes ago
Print Text Size
E-mail More
Michelle Ruiz

Michelle Ruiz Contributor
AOL News
(April 12) -- The parents of the 15-year-old Florida boy accused of severely beating his middle school classmate over a text message issued their first public apology to the victim and her family today, denying their son is a bully and saying he must have snapped during the March 17 attack.

Donna Powers, mother of 15-year-old Wayne Treacy, appeared on the "Today" show today, apologizing to the family of the 15-year-old victim, Josie Ratley, who remains in a medically induced coma after Treacy allegedly knocked her to the ground, slammed her head against the concrete sidewalk and kicked her in the head with steel-toed boots outside Deerfield Beach Middle School in Broward County.

Ratley had allegedly sent Treacy a text message about his brother, Michael, who committed suicide last year.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

"I am so sorry. My heart and prayers go out to you," Powers said, referring to Ratley's mother, Hilda Gotay. "I know the pain that you're going through. I'm just sorry."

Treacy's stepfather, Carey Smith, added that Treacy, who is charged with premeditated attempted murder, has also expressed sorrow over the incident. He has been in a juvenile detention center since the alleged beating, as authorities decide whether to prosecute him as an adult or a minor.

"He would like to apologize to Josie and her family," Smith told "Today." "He's real remorseful about it."

Last week on "Today," a tearful Gotay criticized Powers for failing to apologize to her and her daughter, who has undergone surgery to remove part of her skull to alleviate swelling in her brain.

"Do they have any feelings? Do they think about Josie?" Gotay said. "I have not heard anything from the family at all."

Smith said he and Powers, accompanied by their lawyer, Russell Williams, made their appearance today to "get Wayne's side of the story out."

Williams said Treacy's emotional trauma over his brother's death went unrecognized by his parents and school officials.

"He had a lot on his plate for a 15-year-old," Smith said. "How would you like to be 15 and find your only brother hanging from a tree?"

He added, "Evidently, [Ratley] must have said something very derogatory about his brother's death."

Ratley was allegedly upset over Treacy's romantic relationship with 13-year-old Kayla Manson, a friend of Ratley's. Detectives said that after Ratley alluded to Treacy's brother's death, he put on steel-toed boots and texted at least one friend, saying he planned to go to school and kill Ratley. Manson is charged as an accessory, accused of pointing out Ratley's whereabouts before the alleged attack.

According to Powers, the beating was out of character for her son, who she believes snapped during the argument.

"That's not Wayne's nature," she told "Today." "He's not a bully."

Smith told NBC's Matt Lauer his stepson is a "good kid" and a "normal 15-year-old boy" who is "well liked in the neighborhood" and had never lashed out at anybody before the beating.

Last week, Gotay told "Today" that Ratley is displaying some signs of recovery, opening her eyes and moving slightly.

mavs>spurs2
04-12-2010, 01:58 PM
i have trouble feeling sorry for the stupid cunt, talking shit about the kid's dead brother and all. that's enough to make anyone snap. the boy had no prior record

Mark in Austin
04-12-2010, 02:03 PM
i have trouble feeling sorry for the stupid cunt, talking shit about the kid's dead brother and all. that's enough to make anyone snap. the boy had no prior record

You're kidding right? There is nothing that girl could have said that can justify attempting to kill her. We are all responsible for our own actions.

bigzak25
04-12-2010, 02:03 PM
20 years please. :toast

mavs>spurs2
04-12-2010, 02:04 PM
You're kidding right? There is nothing that girl could have said that can justify attempting to kill her. We are all responsible for our own actions.

yeah let's make fun of the poor 15 year old kid for discovering his only brother hanging from a tree.

JoeChalupa
04-12-2010, 02:06 PM
I have no trouble not feeling sorry for the punk who felt the need to brutally attack that girl over a test message and having no prior record isn't an excuse for sympathy. And the fact that he put on the steel toed shoes shows he knew exactly what he doing. Snapped my ass.

mavs>spurs2
04-12-2010, 02:06 PM
tbh we all say things that we don't necessarily mean literally like "ima kill that guy" or this or that, but i doubt if he intended to actually kill her, just beat the shit out of her which she deserved.

actually i take that back i didn't read the part about teh steel toes LOL

what a badass. i wish he was my brother

JoeChalupa
04-12-2010, 02:08 PM
yeah let's make fun of the poor 15 year old kid for discovering his only brother hanging from a tree.

I am not making fun of him and that isn't an excuse for what he did. So now the her parents can go attack the kids parents for discovering their daughter is in a coma.

mavs>spurs2
04-12-2010, 02:10 PM
I am not making fun of him and that isn't an excuse for what he did. So now the her parents can go attack the kids parents for discovering their daughter is in a coma.

the parent's didn't talk shit about the daughter in a coma, why attack them?

i'm saying that you don't torment someone who's lost a loved one by talking shit about the said loved one's death.

if i had a dead sibling and someone made a joke out of it, it'd be an automatic BOS (beating on sight) no questions asked

JoeChalupa
04-12-2010, 02:13 PM
the parent's didn't talk shit about the daughter in a coma, why attack them?

i'm saying that you don't torment someone who's lost a loved one by talking shit about the said loved one's death.

if i had a dead sibling and someone made a joke out of it, it'd be an automatic BOS (beating on sight) no questions asked

Meh, I'm not surprised.

JoeChalupa
04-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Yeah, nothing says "I'm a badass" like kicking some girl's ass.

mavs>spurs2
04-12-2010, 02:16 PM
anyway don't get me wrong, trying to kill her is fucked up. hopefully she survives and learns a valuable lesson about playing with fire.

i just think that what she did was incredibly cruel and uncalled for, and had she kept her mouth shut she wouldn't be in a coma today is all

resistanze
04-12-2010, 02:17 PM
You don't get to kill someone for making fun of your dead brother. At the same time, there are things people say and do in life which leads to situations like this. People need to watch what they say (especially in this day and age), I could never imagine making fun of a suicide of someone's relative.

If I go to the street corner and yell to a bunch of mobsters "fuck you, you greasy criminal cocksuckers!" I'll know why I was murdered, even if I don't deserve it.

JoeChalupa
anyway don't get me wrong, trying to kill her is fucked up. hopefully she survives and learns a valuable lesson about playing with fire.

As I hope he will. :tu

resistanze
Of course, we're not even sure what exactly the text message was so my point could be moot.

JoeChalupa
04-12-2010, 02:18 PM
Of course, we're not even sure what exactly the text message was so my point could be moot.

I was wondering about that myself.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
04-12-2010, 02:26 PM
You don't get to kill someone for making fun of your dead brother. At the same time, there are things people say and do in life which leads to situations like this. People need to watch what they say (especially in this day and age), I could never imagine making fun of a suicide of someone's relative.

If I go to the street corner and yell to a bunch of mobsters "fuck you, you greasy criminal cocksuckers!" I'll know why I was murdered, even if I don't deserve it.

Blame the intraweb and the cyberness of our society. A generation has grown up thinking that what they type is a completely different animal than what they may say in person.

She's an asshole and he's an asshole, undoubtedly raised by bigger, self-absorbed assholes. What he did is indefensible, but considering that his parents never sought counseling for the kid, it isn't shocking.

And I like how both mothers say that their kids are loved by everyone, would never say or do anything like that and are great people; such perfect little angels, as they always tend to be.

Stringer_Bell
04-12-2010, 02:29 PM

I agree.

What did the boy do to deserve having the girl bring his dead brother into the conversation? The kid is obviously an idiot, texting people about his plans and involving others as accessories...BUT, we as a society can't be quick to bury him with the harshest charges possible when he was clearly provoked.

We're not dealing with a criminal mastermind, it's an idiot kid that got pissed off at someone talking shit. It was a very specific attack, if he beat the shit out of random people I could understand burning him at the stake. But that's not what appears to have happened and we need to wait until all the facts come out.

JoeChalupa
04-12-2010, 02:39 PM
From I know it appears a fact that he attacked her and that she is in a coma. That is not disputed but whether or not he is guilty and to what degree is the question. Justifiable assault? Could very well be.

xellos88330
04-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Kid new what he was doing and deserves punishment.

The girl didn't know what she was doing and needed to be taught a lesson on manners.

Feel for both of them, but kids... are stupid.

mavs>spurs2
04-12-2010, 02:43 PM
tbh the only mistake he made was not running to mexico, joining a drug cartel and becoming rich, and banging hot chica's all day

resistanze
04-12-2010, 02:50 PM
I agree.

What did the boy do to deserve having the girl bring his dead brother into the conversation? The kid is obviously an idiot, texting people about his plans and involving others as accessories...BUT, we as a society can't be quick to bury him with the harshest charges possible when he was clearly provoked.

We're not dealing with a criminal mastermind, it's an idiot kid that got pissed off at someone talking shit. It was a very specific attack, if he beat the shit out of random people I could understand burning him at the stake. But that's not what appears to have happened and we need to wait until all the facts come out.

He was definitely provoked, but his action is still disproportionate and unjustifiable. Specific attack are usually treated more harshly under the penal code (premeditated murder), so I'm not sure why that would help him.

resistanze
04-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Blame the intraweb and the cyberness of our society. A generation has grown up thinking that what they type is a completely different animal than what they may say in person.

She's an asshole and he's an asshole, undoubtedly raised by bigger, self-absorbed assholes. What he did is indefensible, but considering that his parents never sought counseling for the kid, it isn't shocking.

And I like how both mothers say that their kids are loved by everyone, would never say or do anything like that and are great people; such perfect little angels, as they always tend to be.

Agreed. Hell, I'm sure Jeffery Dahmer's dad was saying how much he loved him.

"He's a good boy, he just had the munchies! :("

It's weird that such parental behavior is quite common. I know if I was guilty of a crime like this as a teen, my parents wouldn't even show up to my arraignment.

thispego
04-12-2010, 03:11 PM
rofl. see, this guy can't be taken seriously. mavs>spurs is a sham. a farce. a troll.

Sisk
04-12-2010, 03:17 PM

i'm in the same line of thinking

talking shit about to a boy who found his brother hanging from a tree.. that's enough to make anyone go into a blind rage

as others have said, they both fucked up..

try him as a juvenile if she lives, and if she dies.. try him as an adult

i'd love to know what the text was

thispego
04-12-2010, 03:40 PM
violence is the last refuge of the incompetent

thispego
04-12-2010, 03:41 PM
morons

sisk and mavs>spurs

thispego
04-12-2010, 03:42 PM
stringer_bell

Sisk
04-12-2010, 03:46 PM
i think world peace is possible

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-12-2010, 03:53 PM
I could believe the idea of someone "just snapping" if this had been a face to face exchange. This kid had plenty of time to realize that that kind of violence against someone over words is just wrong, and it seems he never did. To me that sounds like something much deeper, much darker than simply blind rage.

The girl crossed a line but to say she deserved this on any level is insane.

in2deep
04-12-2010, 03:59 PM
tbh we all say things that we don't necessarily mean literally like "ima kill that guy" or this or that, but i doubt if he intended to actually kill her, just beat the shit out of her which she deserved.

actually i take that back i didn't read the part about teh steel toes LOL

what a badass. i wish he was my brother

only a stupid motherfucker posts an article without fully reading it :bang

Bender
04-12-2010, 04:03 PM
"That's not Wayne's nature," she told "Today." "He's not a bully."
putting on steel-toed boots and intentionally going after someone to "kill them" can be classified as more than "being a bully".

thispego
04-12-2010, 04:06 PM

how's that?

easjer
04-12-2010, 04:06 PM
I could believe the idea of someone "just snapping" if this had been a face to face exchange. This kid had plenty of time to realize that that kind of violence against someone over words is just wrong, and it seems he never did. To me that sounds like something much deeper, much darker than simply blind rage.

Agreed.

Face to face, if she'd said that and he gave her a black eye or broke her nose, I'd be a lot less sympathetic.

What he did though was put on steel-toed boots. Text people that he planned to find her and kill her. Sought her out at a different school (iirc), and then proceeded to beat the crap out of her, in such a way that I find it difficult to believe he just snapped. I think there was a deliberation to his actions, and that is what I find most chilling.

I'm not saying the girl was right to say what she said. But . . . nothing she could text to someone would justify what he did to her.

oh crap
04-12-2010, 04:11 PM
talking about someone's dead brother is not cool. seeking vigilante justice to take that person out, bragging about your intended actions to friends in a lets leave a paper trail kind of way (thus putting them in a position to be charged as an accessory) and kicking a hoe in the face with steel toed boots, nearly killing them in the process is even less cool.

Sisk
04-12-2010, 04:16 PM
how's that?

apart from you constantly trolling, lets look at this from this standpoint: humans are animals

you say that violence is bred from incompetence which may be true, but that's our nature as humans. it's a natural reaction to seek revenge against someone that has gone against you, in this case she insulted someone (his brother) who'd killed himself essentially right in front of him. this obviously brought up extreme feelings and he hated her for whatever she said to him.. his reaction, while brutal and barbaric, is a human reaction. of course, he didn't handle this in the right way and what he did is unforgivable but it does take two to tango.

she's a girl, he should've never laid a hand on her and i don't condone that at all but his brain was obviously not strong enough to withhold his anger against her.. he went into overload and it's a slippery slope at that point

it's a shitty situation all around that could've been prevented at many different levels

thispego
04-12-2010, 04:35 PM
apart from you constantly trolling, lets look at this from this standpoint: humans are animals

you say that violence is bred from incompetence which may be true, but that's our nature as humans. it's a natural reaction to seek revenge against someone that has gone against you, in this case she insulted someone (his brother) who'd killed himself essentially right in front of him. this obviously brought up extreme feelings and he hated her for whatever she said to him.. his reaction, while brutal and barbaric, is a human reaction. of course, he didn't handle this in the right way and what he did is unforgivable but it does take two to tango.

she's a girl, he should've never laid a hand on her and i don't condone that at all but his brain was obviously not strong enough to withhold his anger against her.. he went into overload and it's a slippery slope at that point

it's a shitty situation all around that could've been prevented at many different levels

violence as in fighting, not warfare. humans are not animals. an incompetent person would believe that. he had more than enough time to contemplate his actions to identify it as reactionary.

Sisk
04-12-2010, 04:39 PM
lol

in2deep
04-12-2010, 04:40 PM
very often, humans are worse than animals. Look up the horrible story of Baby Peter.

Sisk
04-12-2010, 04:41 PM
thispego, i'd love to see your reaction to someone who insulted your family

although you don't seem like someone who'd defend your family anyways so i wouldn't be surprised at the outcome

not to mention a family member who you found dead after committing suicide

Sisk
04-12-2010, 04:42 PM
very often, humans are worse than animals. Look up the horrible story of Baby Peter.

:toast:toast

thispego
04-12-2010, 04:48 PM

although you don't seem like someone who'd defend your family anyways so i wouldn't be surprised at the outcome

you dont know shit about the circumstances surrounding the kids brothers suicide so quit acting like you do. And yeah, when someone insults my family, i take it as an indication that they are upset with their own life and see me and/or my family as a threat to their own self-worth. So basically, i dont do anything when someone insults me or my family... except laugh and laugh and laugh

Sisk
04-12-2010, 04:53 PM
you dont know shit about the circumstances surrounding the kids brothers suicide so quit acting like you do. And yeah, when someone insults my family, i take it as an indication that they are upset with their own life and see me and/or my family as a threat to their own self-worth. So basically, i dont do anything when someone insults me or my family... except laugh and laugh and laugh

i don't need to "know shit" about his brothers death. all i need to know is the fact that a 15 YEAR OLD CHILD WALKED UP ON HIS BROTHER HANGING FROM A TREE.

apparently you're the incompetent one

do you actually believe what you're saying or are you trolling me? i genuinely can't tell

mrsmaalox
04-12-2010, 04:53 PM
As the Disgruntled guy pointed out, this is a product of the e-society we live in. The lines of reality/civility have been blurred and we have all been desensitized. The insults and threats abound here on this board every day without so much as a second thought. We have no way of knowing who is kidding, who serious. But the person who chooses to cross that blurred line and act on it with violence is ALWAYS WRONG.

Spurminator
04-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Isn't it possible that the girl "just snapped" when she made the remark about his brother? Why is his alleged temporary insanity more a factor than hers?

The premeditation of all of this is what bothers me. Pretty brutal.

But I still don't understand why we try non-adults as adults.

ploto
04-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Tracy's emotional trauma over his brother's death went unrecognized by his parents...

Are we really supposed to buy this? No offense, but they have one kid who already killed himself and now another kid who quite possibly killed someone.

oh crap
04-12-2010, 05:01 PM
But I still don't understand why we try non-adults as adults.

if we were talking about a 9,10 or even 11 year old kid, i'd be inclined to agree with you (in most cases at least). but this is a 15 year old, he should have the mental capacity to process consequences for such ridiculously violent actions. i was a pretty dumb 15 year old, getting into trouble and general mischief, but near murder at that age isn't something he should get a slap on the wrist for.

gatoloco
04-12-2010, 05:09 PM
http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID19494/images/100412074450resized_deerfield_kids.jpg

you just know a kid with a fatigue patterned top is gonna be trouble...and you call that a smile?

and the chic looks like a trouble making gossip girl.

thispego
04-12-2010, 05:18 PM
i don't need to "know shit" about his brothers death. all i need to know is the fact that a 15 YEAR OLD CHILD WALKED UP ON HIS BROTHER HANGING FROM A TREE.

apparently you're the incompetent one

do you actually believe what you're saying or are you trolling me? i genuinely can't tell

i dont troll. i just correct people when they are wrong.

Spurminator
04-12-2010, 05:20 PM
if we were talking about a 9,10 or even 11 year old kid, i'd be inclined to agree with you (in most cases at least). but this is a 15 year old, he should have the mental capacity to process consequences for such ridiculously violent actions. i was a pretty dumb 15 year old, getting into trouble and general mischief, but near murder at that age isn't something he should get a slap on the wrist for.

Oh I'm not suggesting a slap on the wrist but there is a reason we consider minors minors. Just seems a bit arbitrary to make the distinction if we make exceptions for cases based on severity.

The Reckoning
04-12-2010, 05:38 PM
i was 15 once

and wore steel-toes

baseline bum
04-12-2010, 05:45 PM
What a joke that this kid is trying to claim temporary insanity. Temporary insanity is basically a synonym for anger one doesn't want to take responsibility for. I fucking hate when sociopathic shit like this gets lumped in with true mental problems. The kid committed first degree attempted murder and knew exactly what he was doing. He has to be made to take responsibility for that in court. Anger is never a valid reason to go out and try to kill someone.

mookie2001
04-12-2010, 06:29 PM
Gossip girl?

Courtesy rofl

redzero
04-12-2010, 07:30 PM
It must suck to have a bully as a child.

redzero
04-12-2010, 07:52 PM
What a joke that this kid is trying to claim temporary insanity. Temporary insanity is basically a synonym for anger one doesn't want to take responsibility for. I fucking hate when sociopathic shit like this gets lumped in with true mental problems. The kid committed first degree attempted murder and knew exactly what he was doing. He has to be made to take responsibility for that in court. Anger is never a valid reason to go out and try to kill someone.

His claim is laughable. He says that he's going to kill the girl, then he goes to school with steel-toed boots on, slams the girls head into the concrete and kicks her in the head for good measure.

He should get life. Too bad minors can't be executed.:depressed

MookieCrew
04-12-2010, 08:20 PM
violence is the last refuge of the incompetent

violence as in fighting, not warfare. humans are not animals. an incompetent person would believe that. he had more than enough time to contemplate his actions to identify it as reactionary.

rememba det one time certain people pointed certain guns in the faces of certain people? it was like pure powah!

CuckingFunt
04-12-2010, 09:37 PM

It's one thing to hold the girl accountable for whatever she did to provoke a response (though I don't personally think there can ever be a collection of words so horrible as to deserve his specific response).

It's something else entirely, however, to suggest that repeatedly kicking a girl in the head with steel-toed boots is in any way a noble defense of your family's honor.

mavs>spurs2
04-12-2010, 09:58 PM
It's something else entirely, however, to suggest that repeatedly kicking a girl in the head with steel-toed boots is in any way a noble defense of your family's honor.

it's not about honor. it's about rage. the girl was tormenting him about his dead brother whom he found hanging from a tree at such a young age. but i guess i wouldnt expect a prissy little white girl to understand anything about RAGE.

AmericanPsycho
04-12-2010, 10:02 PM
The guys rage is going to cost him.

redzero
04-12-2010, 11:38 PM
it's not about honor. it's about rage. the girl was tormenting him about his dead brother whom he found hanging from a tree at such a young age. but i guess i wouldnt expect a prissy little white girl to understand anything about RAGE.

You tell 'em, brotha.

Dark Gable
04-12-2010, 11:44 PM
You tell 'em, brotha.

Word +1 Don't ever go against the familly.

exstatic
04-13-2010, 07:37 AM

Kermit
04-13-2010, 08:34 AM
I have some idea of what this cat went through. My older brother died in an accident and a bully at school used the opportunity to rub my face in it. Called my dead brother every name in the book in an attempt to get a reaction out of me. It sucked and still haunts me to this day that I was the bigger man, ignored him, and didn't beat him senseless. Dude spit on me, pushed me, and even insintuated that my brother killed himself to keep from having to live with me. I always swore that one day when I saw him again, I'd Will Hunting his ass.

Now, having seen this....

I'm really glad I went about it the way I did.

Shaolin-Style
04-13-2010, 09:09 AM
Kicking a girl in the head with those kinds of boots is terrible. She didn't deserve such a malicious response.

She may have needed a big slap across her face for talking about the kids deceased brother, but not the kinda crap he did.

DarkReign
04-13-2010, 09:16 AM
I have some idea of what this cat went through. My older brother died in an accident and a bully at school used the opportunity to rub my face in it. Called my dead brother every name in the book in an attempt to get a reaction out of me. It sucked and still haunts me to this day that I was the bigger man, ignored him, and didn't beat him senseless. Dude spit on me, pushed me, and even insintuated that my brother killed himself to keep from having to live with me. I always swore that one day when I saw him again, I'd Will Hunting his ass.

Now, having seen this....

I'm really glad I went about it the way I did.

I have absolutely no idea how you restrained yourself.

Some broad talking -ish wouldnt mean shit to me, thats what broads do best, talk.

But a male talking -ish? Couldnt handle it, never could, probably never will.

Mind you, I am not the type to kick people in the head when on the ground, nor use weapons.

Just so there is no mix-up here, my comments are in no way related to the OPs article.

Commenting on that, the kid should be tried and convicted...as a minor. I am with Spurminator, this trying kids as adults shit has to stop. The grounds for the exception is getting less and less difficult. If a 15 year old can be considered to have the mental capacity of an adult and should therefore be tried as an adult, then all 15 year olds should be adults.

koriwhat
04-13-2010, 09:51 AM
tbh the only mistake he made was not running to mexico, joining a drug cartel and becoming rich, and banging hot chica's all day

or going to mexico and becoming a dead mule stuffed full of coke. dumbass!

Höfner
04-13-2010, 09:57 AM
Steeltoe smashed face

04-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Commenting on that, the kid should be tried and convicted...as a minor. I am with Spurminator, this trying kids as adults shit has to stop. The grounds for the exception is getting less and less difficult. If a 15 year old can be considered to have the mental capacity of an adult and should therefore be tried as an adult, then all 15 year olds should be adults.

I was just reading about the 12 year old PA kid who could be the first to serve a life term without parole.

I also just found out that quite a few states(22) can try kids as young as 7 as adults. Mind bottling.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201003/jordanbrown_mug__160.jpg

Höfner
04-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Mind bottling.

you can do that?

The Franchise
04-13-2010, 10:25 AM
Kicking a girl in the head with those kinds of boots is terrible. She didn't deserve such a malicious response.

She may have needed a big slap across her face for talking about the kids deceased brother, but not the kinda crap he did.

Exactly. There is no way to justify what this kid did unless you are a little fucked up in the head. I also believe he should be charged as an adult. With all that being said, I am not that suprised by his reaction.

ididnotnothat
04-13-2010, 10:56 AM
I don't see him doing any significant time for this.

DarkReign
04-13-2010, 01:20 PM
I was just reading about the 12 year old PA kid who could be the first to serve a life term without parole.

I also just found out that quite a few states(22) can try kids as young as 7 as adults. Mind bottling.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201003/jordanbrown_mug__160.jpg

That is so incredibly fucked up. Should the kid do time? Of course.

Life?! As a 12 year old? Come the fuck on...

Back to the OP, the kid is 15 years old. He is a kid, not an adult. Charging him as an adult is ludicrous.

If thats the case, drop the pretense about the delineation between minors and adults, because clearly society changes that rule as it sees fit (mostly media related).

...a fucking 12 year old serving life....wtf is wrong with this country...

ididnotnothat
04-13-2010, 01:38 PM

Back to the OP, the kid is 15 years old. He is a kid, not an adult. Charging him as an adult is ludicrous.

If thats the case, drop the pretense about the delineation between minors and adults, because clearly society changes that rule as it sees fit (mostly media related).

What I want to know is WTF is wrong with that 12 yr old kid!!

Jimcs50
04-13-2010, 01:54 PM
Kid needs to serve time in prison, at least till he is 18....needs to learn that you can not solve problems by violence.....although our country has been doing that since I don't know when.

The Franchise
04-13-2010, 02:01 PM

What do you consider a fair sentence for a 12 year old murderer?

Stringer_Bell
04-13-2010, 02:19 PM
stringer_bell

Sup, dawg? I didn't quite understand what you were trying to express, get at me.

For the record, evolution shows us that we ARE animals. In the animal kingdom, there are no such things as rights. Can anyone point to any evidence that shows we just magically appeared here to be the shepards of creation, to care for the Earth and all its wonders, and be co-creators that give birth to the next generation of shepards. That's not how it happened in the text books, that's not how it is happening today. Just something to keep in mind. :king

RollingStoned
04-13-2010, 02:20 PM
Does mental pain = physical pain?

Trainwreck2100
04-13-2010, 02:31 PM
3 lives ruined cause a bitch had to talk shit

koriwhat
04-13-2010, 02:36 PM

that's what bitches do best... i don't agree with how the kid handled the drama but that chick should had kept her mouth close or her fingers from texting.

RollingStoned
04-13-2010, 02:42 PM

Lives were ruined when the kid's brother decided to speak out by hanging himself.

Stringer_Bell
04-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Lives were ruined when the kid's brother decided to speak out by hanging himself.

OHHH YEAA....blame the dead kid why don't ya?

:nope

bigzak25
04-13-2010, 03:10 PM

i'd say in this case, send the boy to juvie til he's 18 and then give him a few years of probation assuming he can pass a mental evaluation that determines he is no longer a threat to society or himself...

04-13-2010, 03:30 PM

A year in jail for every year the kid has been alive and only released once able to pass a full psych eval with flying colors.

Simply put: Equating the actions of a 12 year old to say a 32 year old is sheer lunacy.

Kermit
04-13-2010, 03:33 PM
A year in jail for every year the kid has been alive and only released once able to pass a full psych eval with flying colors.

Simply put: Equating the actions of a 12 year old to say a 32 year old is sheer lunacy.

People gotta get elected.

troll police
04-13-2010, 03:35 PM
You do the crime, you do the time.

ploto
04-13-2010, 03:54 PM
Remember this side of the story is coming from the parent of the boy who beat the crap out of a girl. We do not even know if the claim is true about the text message nor do we know what he might have done to her first to "make" her say or text what she did. We do not know her side of the story because he put her into a coma.

redzero
04-13-2010, 04:25 PM

Death.

Trainwreck2100
04-13-2010, 04:43 PM
Remember this side of the story is coming from the parent of the boy who beat the crap out of a girl. We do not even know if the claim is true about the text message nor do we know what he might have done to her first to "make" her say or text what she did. We do not know her side of the story because he put her into a coma.

she was pissed cause he was "dating" her friend, read the article.

HarlemHeat37
04-13-2010, 05:06 PM
Meh, sucks for everybody involved..

The girl shouldn't have opened her mouth if she wasn't able to handle the consequences..talking about somebody's dead brother is pretty deep shit..

The guy is an idiot for fucking up his future and for his inability to handle some trash talking..he also deserves more time for being an idiot about it by telling people his plans, at least IMO..

As for the parents, they're always going to say that, obviously..one of my boys from my time growing up in TO was arrested for murdering 2 people in 2008(I have the link if some sick people are interested in murders, it was gang-related btw, so not some bystander shit)..his mom was on the news talking about how great of a kid he is and that he would never do that..it's obviously a common reaction..

As for the punishment, I agree that 12-16 year old kids shouldn't get life sentences, but I would hope they wouldn't get anything under 10 years for something like this..just because they're kids, it doesn't mean they shouldn't suffer the consequences..you don't get a free pass to kill by being a certain age..

ploto
04-13-2010, 05:46 PM
she was pissed cause he was "dating" her friend, read the article.

Reread the article.

Ratley was allegedly upset over Treacy's romantic relationship with 13-year-old Kayla Manson, a friend of Ratley's.

Meaning-- according to him.

ploto
04-13-2010, 05:51 PM
The 13-year-old girl who may have helped instigate the brutal school attack on a Deerfield Beach teen girl by her 15-year-old male classmate will be spending the next three weeks in juvenile detention.

The 13-year-old, whose name isn't being used because of her age, made her first court appearance this morning where she was officially charged as an accessory in the beating of Josie Ratley, 15.

Family members sat in the audience as the girl, who wore glasses and an orange jail jumpsuit, had her next court date set for March 26, according to the Sun-Sentinel.

"The family wanted to wish Josie a very speedy recovery," the girl's lawyer, Jonathon Marne, told the Sun-Sentinel after the hearing.

The beating suspect, Wayne Treacy, was in court Thursday and was ordered to juvenile detention for the next 21 days as well. His next court date is also March 26 and he will likely face attempted murder charges if Ratley pulls through.

The whole incident began Wednesday, after Ratley reportedly sent some mean text messages about Treacy's recently deceased brother, who committed suicide in October, just after Treacy's birthday.

The comments sent Treacy into a rage, police said, and that's when the 13-year-old pointed Ratley out to him.

He then attacked Ratley at a bus stop just outside the Deerfield Beach Middle School building, savagely beating the girl and kicking her in the head with his steel-toed boots until she was unconscious. The 15-year-old didn't stop until a teacher pulled him off Ratley, who was out cold.

Ratley was taken by helicopter in critical condition to Broward General hospital. She is in extremely critical condition.
http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local-beat/Young-Girl-Charged-in-Brutal-School-Attacked-88565397.html

So he did not even know who she was.

Höfner
04-13-2010, 05:56 PM
she won't be talking shit about dead brothers again

Tom Slick
04-13-2010, 07:54 PM
she won't be talking shit about dead brothers again

he sure showed that cunt a thing or two!

DarkReign
04-13-2010, 09:11 PM

I have no legal clue.

How do I feel? Dont know, Ive never interviewed the child.

I just know charging a 15/12 year old as an adult is an absurd proposition. I would have to bear witness to absolute evil to ever consider judgement upon a minor under adult pretense. Rape and pre-meditated murder with absolutely no remorse or consideration.

Even then, the better part of that child's life would be spent in a criminal psycho penitentiary on the off chance someone (in this case, myself) was wrong.

It doesnt make logical sense, to me, doing it any other way.

mrsmaalox
04-13-2010, 10:56 PM
http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local-beat/Young-Girl-Charged-in-Brutal-School-Attacked-88565397.html

So he did not even know who she was.

I believe I heard on the first day this was in the news, that it was the 2 girls texting each other and the 13 yr old showed the beater something the other girl had texted about his brother.

ploto
04-14-2010, 02:39 PM
I believe I heard on the first day this was in the news, that it was the 2 girls texting each other and the 13 yr old showed the beater something the other girl had texted about his brother.

So it seems the girl did not even say anything or text anything to the guy who beat the crap out of her.

Mixability
04-14-2010, 02:50 PM
damn, what did the text say?!?!?!

caribbean_spur
04-14-2010, 06:56 PM
She is out of coma.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/14/1579060/doctor-beaten-deerfield-beach.html

redzero
04-14-2010, 08:29 PM
http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim//2010/04/08/treacy2.jpg

The piece of shit in the flesh.

DarkReign
04-15-2010, 09:56 AM
She is out of coma.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/14/1579060/doctor-beaten-deerfield-beach.html

Very good news.

mavs>spurs2
04-15-2010, 01:28 PM
someone should ask her her thoughts about the dead brother now, imho

The Cougar
04-15-2010, 01:31 PM
So it seems the girl did not even say anything or text anything to the guy who beat the crap out of her.

That's the problem with kids this days they think texting and speaking are the same thing

Blake
04-15-2010, 01:33 PM
someone should ask her her thoughts about the dead brother now, imho

text her

The Cougar
04-15-2010, 01:41 PM
What i can't wait for is the inevitable lawsuit where the girls family sues the boys family for being bad parents.(the only way to get a judgement against a parent for a childs actions) and they will disregard the facts that maybe if they taught her not to talk shit about dead people this won't have happened

Blake
04-15-2010, 01:45 PM
What i can't wait for is the inevitable lawsuit where the girls family sues the boys family for being bad parents.(the only way to get a judgement against a parent for a childs actions) and they will disregard the facts that maybe if they taught her not to talk shit about dead people this won't have happened

huh?

The Franchise
04-15-2010, 03:36 PM

He looks like a troublemaking little hillbilly .

DarkReign
04-15-2010, 03:39 PM
He looks like a troublemaking little hillbilly .

...maybe in California.

Kid looks like any other pre-adolescent, long-hair prep these days.

bostonguy
04-15-2010, 04:00 PM
Both were wrong in this situation. Violence should never occur unless you are physically provoked first. In other words...self defense.

The Reckoning
04-15-2010, 05:47 PM
he did the wrong thing. he should have banged her mom or sister or something like that.

Stringer_Bell
05-25-2010, 01:32 AM
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/37312533/ns/today-today_people

Williams released a transcript of the text message exchange (obscenities have been deleted from the transcription below). It begins with Ratley telling Treacy to stop seeing her 13-year-old friend, Kayla Manson, and then escalates.

After reading the article, it's clear that the victim was exchanging "tit for tat" and not singularly trying to focus on his dead brother. The kid "snapped" for sure, but based on that convo his actions are not excusable in any way. I anticipated the texts from the girl to be much worse and mean spirited, doesn't seem like the case. Very sad situation all around, but the girl seems to show some hopeful signs.

BRHornet45
05-25-2010, 02:32 AM
just another classic example of the female running her mouth, then getting smacked, and then everyone kissing her ass. boo fucking hoo ... she talked shit about this kid's DEAD brother. of course its sad what happened, but she is no innocent victim.

wife beater
05-25-2010, 03:06 AM
just another classic example of the female running her mouth, then getting smacked, and then everyone kissing her ass. boo fucking hoo ... she talked shit about this kid's DEAD brother. of course its sad what happened, but she is no innocent victim.

This guy gets it.

ploto
05-25-2010, 06:23 AM
Ratley ignored Treacy’s texted threats, which came after she made a reference to his older brother, who killed himself last year. Treacy and his mother together discovered the body hanging from a tree. The reference came after Treacy texted an insult about Ratley’s father, Storm Ratley.

“Um sorry ur father abused u but u shudnt take out on others u pitiful lil [deletion],” Treacy typed.

“mi dads dead [deletion]?” Ratley replied, to which Treacy shot back, “Like I give a [deletion].”

Ratley’s father is not dead, and, according to local media reports, spends time with her in her rehab center. There is also no evidence that he ever abused her.

“jus go visit ur dead brother,” Ratley texted.

At that point, Treacy sends a text in all capital letters. It’s a chilling prediction of the brutal attack that would soon follow.

"UR [deletion] DEAD! I SWEAR TO GOD I'M GONNA KILL YOU. I'LL [deletion] FIND YOU! YOUR [deletion] IS COLD, DEAD MEAT [deletion]!" Treacy texted.

Ratley’s reply betrayed no concern that Treacy could be serious.

“K u make me giggle,” she types.

“watch how much you laugh when i strangle the life outta you!! You're [deletion] dead. You said the wrong thing to the worst person,” Treacy replies.

Read more: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/37312533/ns/today-today_people#ixzz0owHtFskR

No- actually it appears to be the case of a punk ass boy who could dish it out but could not take it.

lebomb
05-25-2010, 07:02 AM
Anyone defending this kid is just as STUPID as he is. He made comments about the girls father (didnt know he was dead or not), yet she didnt want to kill his stupid ass.

He will serve plenty of jail time believe me.

Also, why would a big ol red neck need steel toe boots to beat up a girl? :rolleyes

ginobili's bald spot
05-25-2010, 07:43 AM
Seems like this was a valuable lesson for all parties involved. Hopefully the girl learned that you can't just go around saying fucked up shit to random people because you might just get a steel toe to the dome. Coma's aren't fun. Hopefully the boy learned that you can't just go around beating the ever loving dog shit out of everyone who pisses you off. You might just catch a case. 20 to life isn't fun.

resistanze
05-25-2010, 08:42 AM
Seems like this was a valuable lesson for all parties involved. Hopefully the girl learned that you can't just go around saying fucked up shit to random people because you might just get a steel toe to the dome. Coma's aren't fun. Hopefully the boy learned that you can't just go around beating the ever loving dog shit out of everyone who pisses you off. You might just catch a case. 20 to life isn't fun.

Pretty much. Except the girl probably isn't in any condition to learn anything, based on how hard he fucked her up. The boy shouldn't see the light of day until he's 50.

Fpoonsie
05-25-2010, 08:49 AM
Who says "dead meat" anymore? This kid deserves time in the Pen simply for using outdated threats.

resistanze
05-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Who says "dead meat" anymore? This kid deserves time in the Pen simply for using outdated threats.

:lol

21_Dickings
05-25-2010, 09:07 AM
Girl's a pretty good troll. Butthurting someone to the point where they commit attempted murder. When she recovers, I hope she sends sends him, headlining it "lol jail":

http://imagemacros.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/successful-troll-is-successful.jpg

21_Dickings
05-25-2010, 09:20 AM

What a stupid looking emo faggot.

Kid should be put in general circulation. Beating a girl in the bitchmade way he did won't fly with most cons.

Odds are he'll be put in protective custody. Shame.

MannyIsGod
05-25-2010, 09:44 AM
Ah yes, internet threads. Where mob mentality is the flavor of choice.

Cry Havoc
05-25-2010, 09:49 AM
“mi dads dead [deletion]?” Ratley replied, to which Treacy shot back, “Like I give a [deletion].”

Yep. The girl is definitely the one saying inappropriate things to instigate violence here.

I have little sympathy for someone who continually attacks a person they've rendered unconscious, much less a girl that didn't stand a chance against him in a fair fight anyway. The premeditation, the steel-toed boots, the death threats, the repeatedly kicking someone, ANYONE in the head while they're knocked out.... it's ludicrous to suggest he didn't know what he was doing.

This was a savagely planned attack. She didn't even really say anything that denigrating to him. "Go see ur dead brother" isn't exactly the most provoking statement, particularly after he was talking about supposedly deceased father in a worse tone than she was using.

5-10 years in prison should give this guy plenty of time to cool off.

Ah yes, internet threads. Where mob mentality is the flavor of choice.

Well, fully a third of the people at minimum in this thread are trolls (or Mookie's crew, which is the same thing).

Still, I remember when Spurstalk used to be a place for decent discussion. Sad that it's devolved to this point.

lebomb
05-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Yep. The girl is definitely the one saying inappropriate things to instigate violence here.

I have little sympathy for someone who continually attacks a person they've rendered unconscious, much less a girl that didn't stand a chance against him in a fair fight anyway. The premeditation, the steel-toed boots, the death threats, the repeatedly kicking someone, ANYONE in the head while they're knocked out.... it's ludicrous to suggest he didn't know what he was doing.

This was a savagely planned attack. She didn't even really say anything that denigrating to him. "Go see ur dead brother" isn't exactly the most provoking statement, particularly after he was talking about supposedly deceased father in a worse tone than she was using.

5-10 years in prison should give this guy plenty of time to cool off.

Well, fully a third of the people at minimum in this thread are trolls (or Mookie's crew, which is the same thing).

Still, I remember when Spurstalk used to be a place for decent discussion. Sad that it's devolved to this point.

Agree with everything above..................... :toast

greywheel
05-25-2010, 10:51 AM
“He actually sends up flares to three of his friends, tells them what he is going to do. Nobody says anything. Nobody calls the police. Nobody calls his mom. Nobody calls the school,” Williams said. “He’s saying, ‘Stop me, stop me, stop me. I need help, I need help, I need help,’ and it just never happens,” Williams said.
I love how the lawyer not only tries to blame the victim but his friends for not turning him in before hand.

Whisky Dog
05-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Shit, I had little teenage bitches saying all sorts of shit when I was growing up, it's just what they do. young women/girls gossip and lie to get a reaction, and their motivation is almost always tied to an insecurity of some sort. You don't get at women by violence, there's no way to do that in a way you come out on top. You just treat them like little kids, like a 2 yr old talking shit to you trying to make you mad. You just laugh it off.

When I was a kid I didn't beat girls, if I was really pissed about their manipulative bullshit I would either get them or one of their closest friends to like me, sleep with them, make all these big romantic overtures, then once they opened up to me and trusted me cheat on them and stone cold drop 'em. I don't recommend that, but as a 16 yr old it's a lot better than going to jail over a girl. I don't sympathize with the kid's reaction and he needs to be severely punished, I just understand how girls of the 12 to 25 age range are and how if you don't understand it you can get all wrapped up in anger and frustration. Have to handle it a lot better than this kid, but then again I didn't have a convict father, shitty parents, and a suicide brother issues in my head either so I can't identify with his problems.

Drachen
05-25-2010, 12:53 PM

Not only that, but he said "Today you die". That's a Segal movie circa 2004. Bad enough in its own right.

lebomb
05-25-2010, 12:57 PM
Premeditated attempted murder.

They should :hang his ass. No pun intended.

sabar
05-25-2010, 03:05 PM
He's screwed. Might as well plead guilty and get it over with. Welcome to the end of your life, kid. Useless bag of flesh.

1. Goes into emo rage
2. Hits a girl
3. Hits someone in the head
4. Hits an unconscious person in the head
5. Uses an improvised weapon instead of his fists

That's weak. And what kind of words justify attempted murder? You must be incredibly thin-skinned to let anyone's words drive you into a rage. Hopefully he's locked up a long time so normal people can be kept safe. He should have his head checked while he's in too because that's some seriously flawed thinking to go and kill someone.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-25-2010, 03:27 PM
Yeah, doesn't seem like the girl did much wrong. The red neck emo faggot decided to make it personal with random jabs at her dad, he didn't snap into any rage, he knew exactly what he was doing before, during, and after he did it. He deserves to be in jail for a long time.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-25-2010, 04:05 PM
I saw one report that said she was calling him a rapist repeatedly in the messages before the whole the family comments got made. Doesn't excuse anything, but it seems like that would be more imflammatory than simply mentioning the fact that the guy's brother is dead.

koriwhat
05-25-2010, 04:11 PM
http://i50.tinypic.com/212hh0y.jpg

Blake
05-25-2010, 04:19 PM
http://i50.tinypic.com/212hh0y.jpg

does that make you feel better about your calf tats?

David Bowie
05-25-2010, 04:25 PM
It sounds like he was talking way more shit then she was. You shouldn't use violence because of something someone said to you. At that age, everybody talks shit.

And think about this. Even if the girl recovers somewhat, she will probably be an invalid for the rest of her life.

Sisk
05-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Well, I'll admit I'm eating crow tonight.

greywheel
05-26-2010, 11:10 AM
I saw one report that said she was calling him a rapist repeatedly in the messages before the whole the family comments got made. Doesn't excuse anything, but it seems like that would be more imflammatory than simply mentioning the fact that the guy's brother is dead.
If she was supposedly doing that because the guy was sleeping with a 13 year old, I can understand. She was accusing him of statutory rape. If he really disagreed with that assertion and knew what he was doing was legal than he should have just blown her off.
I wonder now if fear of going to jail (like dad) was another motive that the defendant is not owning up to.