PDA

View Full Version : Could the Lakers Lose in the First Round?

duncan228
04-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Could the Lakers Lose in the First Round? (http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/sports/Could-the-Lakers-Lose-in-the-First-Round-90633009.html)
The Lakers should win in the first round handily. Should.
By Kurt Helin
NBC Sports, Los Angeles

Last Sunday, the Lakers lost a close game to the Portland Trail Blazers. Two weeks ago on Sunday, they lost a close game to the San Antonio Spurs. Last month, they played the Oklahoma City Thunder on a Friday night and got blown out.

When the Lakers start the playoffs on Sunday, they will face either Portland, San Antonio or Oklahoma City. With the Lakers slouching toward the playoffs and those recent results, the question has to be asked:

Could the Lakers lose in the first round of the playoffs?

It's not unprecedented. Remember in 2007, the Dallas Mavericks racked up 67 wins, one year after being in the Finals, and they got knocked off by a Baron Davis-led Golden State Warriors team. It was pretty fun to watch when it was happening to someone else.

Lakers fans have not found the Lakers recent play fun to watch. Even though they are doing some little things better, they keep losing. There are some that think the best time to play the Lakers is in the first round -- they are slumping, they do not have their "playoff legs" yet. When they do, it gets a lot harder.

That said, the Lakers will still be the big favorites and win in the first round. They should win handily. Should.

First off, they have the most talented starting five in the NBA. In the NBA, talent wins in the end, especially with a good coach guiding it. And for the playoffs, that starting five is expected to get Andrew Bynum back, which will help protect the paint against those point guards who blow past Derek Fisher like he's standing still. It also will help the Lakers rebounding -- something Oklahoma City is not that good at to start with -- and send Lamar Odom to help the sad Lakers bench.

More importantly, the Lakers also have done this before. Two trips to the Finals in two years. One title. The Lakers are a veteran team that has climbed the mountain before. Fans hate teams that think they can flip the switch and be good. Coaches do too. But this Lakers team is one that can.

But they have got to clean up what has been sloppy execution. Portland did a good job of using their length to make it hard for Kobe to get the ball and get off a good shot. There's a counter to that -- swing the ball to the other side and get the ball into the post down low, preferably to Pau Gasol. He was 9 of 13, he had the hot hand. But the Lakers guards (and Ron Artest) happily settle for the three and jacked up 22 of them. They hit five. Phil Jackson was annoyed enough to intentionally call for Gasol to take the final three in regulation. Maybe it was the only way to get him the ball. Maybe it sends a message to the guards.

These Lakers are not a good outside-shooting team. They can hit some open looks if they start working the ball inside-out -- if Gasol passes out of the post, guys will have time to set their feet and hit the open threes. But the Lakers guards are launching ugly threes off pick-and-rolls. Jordan Farmar, I'm looking right at you. Stop it.

Still, too early to panic. The Lakers team we have seen the last few weeks will not be the one we see in the playoffs. They will be more focused; they will have the full arsenal of players (DJ Mbenga, bless him, should not be getting quality minutes, and will not when it matters).

But if the execution doesn't come, all bets are off.

Frenzy
04-12-2010, 05:21 PM
"..But if the execution doesn't come, all bets are off..." this applies to all teams.

Ashy Larry
04-12-2010, 05:31 PM
Yes. Lakers won't have a 40 win team in the first round like Cleveland. They'll have a squad who could potentially be a 4 seed in the Eastern Conference. I mean damn, think about it. You fight for the number one seed all year and still have to face a team who's 32 games over .500 in round one ..... brutal

DJ Mbenga
04-12-2010, 06:23 PM
lol if teams dont make shots well its over.
laker team is more of a 90's knick team than a 2000' suns team. they dont have that offense anymore. in a way better equipped for the playoffs. their turnovers though are pathetic. the 3 will be hit and miss but shouldnt doom them

Shastafarian
04-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Two weeks ago on Sunday, they lost a close game to the San Antonio Spurs.

lolwut

Gary Neville
04-12-2010, 07:03 PM
lol if teams dont make shots well its over.
laker team is more of a 90's knick team than a 2000' suns team. they dont have that offense anymore. in a way better equipped for the playoffs. their turnovers though are pathetic. the 3 will be hit and miss but shouldnt doom them
a 06 Mavs team, that's what I see the current Lakers look like. Brittle PF, brainless SF, etc., only their coach looks a bit less of a despot than Avery Johnson.

DJ Mbenga
04-12-2010, 07:10 PM
a 06 Mavs team, that's what I see the current Lakers look like. Brittle PF, brainless SF, etc., only their coach looks a bit less of a despot than Avery Johnson.

lol that mav team was healthy and got raped. lakers getting healthy to prevent the raping

Donkeybong
04-12-2010, 07:15 PM
honestly, it wouldnt surprise me at all.

mogrovejo
04-12-2010, 07:15 PM
The difference between the Lakers and the #8 seed is going to be 6 wins or so. It's basically going to be a battle between a 55 wins team and a 50 wins team. The Lakers PD is +5.0 and they'll play a team with a very similar one, maybe even a better one. Why people keep pretending there's a big separation between the Lakers and the rest of the WC teams is beyond my comprehension. This isn't a situation like the '06 Mavs at all.

Cane
04-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Definitely wouldn't be surprising especially given their lack of depth, injury troubles, and chemistry issues.

Having home court helps a lot but LA hasn't deserved their favoritism for a while now; they simply haven't shown that they have what it takes to get another championship or even get out of the West.

Cry Havoc
04-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Come on, people. It might not be mind-blowing if the Lakers were to lose like the Mavs did, but saying it wouldn't even be SURPRISING?

The Lakers are a great team, and have something very few other squads in the NBA have, a great SG, a great post player, and tons of playoff experience.

It's not as definite as it was earlier, but I still have the Lakers penciled into my NBA Finals. They're so good it's disgusting, at times.

mavsfan1000
04-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Roy's out of the playoffs with torn meniscus. So no way the Lakers lose to Portland.

mogrovejo
04-12-2010, 08:41 PM
Roy's out of the playoffs with torn meniscus. So no way the Lakers lose to Portland.

Roy isn't Kobe. He'll probably give it a go even if he does have a legit injury and not a freaking finger in a splint for 4 months. I agree though, that changes things.

milkshakeballa
04-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Roy isn't Kobe. He'll probably give it a go even if he does have a legit injury and not a freaking finger in a splint for 4 months. I agree though, that changes things.

LOL Like Kobe has never played through an injury? Are you fukcing kidding me?

http://www.beloblog.com/Pe_Blogs/prosports/pierce-softball.jpg

mogrovejo
04-12-2010, 08:50 PM
LOL Like Kobe has never played through an injury? Are you fukcing kidding me?

Yes, we all know Kobe is ALWAYS playing through injuries, unlike the rest of the league. :wakeup

But yeah, the next time Kobe plays with a torn meniscus will be the first one.

mavsfan1000
04-12-2010, 08:51 PM
He's out 4-6 weeks. This is a legit injury. He can't play.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Yes. Everyone in the West is vulnerable to either matchups of slumps, so anyone could go first round. IMHO, we'll see one or two upsets.

mogrovejo
04-12-2010, 08:55 PM
He's out 4-6 weeks. This is a legit injury. He can't play.

I know it's legit. I doubt he won't try to play. It's a torn meniscus, he'll need to have surgery. But he'll try to play the playoffs and have surgery in the off-season. It'll depend on the inflammation and how the knee reacts to more conservative treatment.

midnightpulp
04-12-2010, 08:57 PM

Sucks. Portland had a real shot at taking out the Fake Show (if they were to meet).

But what else is new? Lakers, the luckiest franchise in NBA history, blessed with another gift from the basketball gods.

Hopefully the Blazers catch the Thunder sleeping tonight and stay in the 6th spot.

RedsLakers24
04-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Anyone could loose in the first round

SpursDynasty
04-12-2010, 10:02 PM
The Lakers just aren't that good anymore, period. I wouldn't mind the Spurs getting them in the first round. They aren't an intimidating team.

Ashy Larry
04-12-2010, 10:18 PM
The Lakers just aren't that good anymore, period. I wouldn't mind the Spurs getting them in the first round. They aren't an intimidating team.

no one fears going into Staples

Jacob1983
04-13-2010, 12:31 AM
The Thunder could beat the Lakers in the first round but I don't think Stern wants the Lakers to lose that early. He would probably lose money and he can't have that.

TheManFromAcme
04-13-2010, 05:42 AM
The Lakers are very vulnerable this year. Can't deny it or should we stick our heads in a hole like an old ostrich. It is what it is.

The Thunder have the potential to at least give us a run for our money or even, exceeding all odds, beating us.

rascal
04-13-2010, 05:45 AM
The Thunder will not beat the lakers. They will be lucky to win 1 game. They are already folding under pressure.

BRHornet45
04-13-2010, 05:56 AM
sons Stern will not allow this to happen. even though the better team WILL be Oklahoma City, the league will make sure that the Lakers win the series. sons we are in a recession and the NBA needs big market, trendy teams in the playoffs, not hillbilly town teams. God bless.

TheManFromAcme
04-13-2010, 05:58 AM
The Thunder will not beat the lakers. They will be lucky to win 1 game. They are already folding under pressure.

They have the potential.

MI21
04-13-2010, 07:00 AM
It would be a huge surprise if LA lose in the first round, or even before the finals.

They have problems, just like any other team, but once the rotations shorten and their best players are on the court for more of the game, they should be fine.

Also, Fisher goes from defensive turnstyle to savvy veteran once the playoffs come around and the officiating should favour Artest and their big frontline. OKC have no chance, and I really like them, but no chance.

MI21
04-13-2010, 07:04 AM
Since when are Spurs fans more confident about LA than the LA fans?

What's going on? :lol

TheManFromAcme
04-13-2010, 07:34 AM

Your right. :lol

I've always been a skeptical kind of guy. Just the way I am wired.

Muser
04-13-2010, 08:51 AM
I'm going to see the Lakers in October :downspin:

EmptyMan
04-13-2010, 09:04 AM
Damn, if only they could have gotten Portland with a healthy Blazers team :( :(

silverblk mystix
04-13-2010, 09:07 AM
sons Stern will not allow this to happen. even though the better team WILL be Oklahoma City, the league will make sure that the Lakers win the series. sons we are in a recession and the NBA needs big market, trendy teams in the playoffs, not hillbilly town teams. God bless.

UNFORTUNATELY...

this is the absolute truth....wish I could honestly say it wasn't...or defend the league in some way...or look at experience...and ALL 7 game series are won by the BEST team,etc....

but, sadly...

this is the truth....

I did NOT get this feeling watching the NFL playoffs this past season...and after the super bowl was won----you NEVER heard anyone saying---this team got screwed---that team got screwed---

those calls---this controversy---this small market team--that dirty player---

nothing...

just good competition and the BEST team being crowned Champs....

rascal
04-13-2010, 11:25 AM
The lakers are the better team. You will see a different Laker team once the playoffs start. They coasted down the stretch having locked up the first seed, playing disinterested basketball and are waiting for the real season to start.

rascal
04-13-2010, 11:28 AM
They have the potential.

No they don't .They are already folding under the pressure and have fallen into the 8th seed. They are still too young and haven't learned how to be confident when the pressure is on.

Its a learning process that most teams have to go through and usually takes making the playoffs first and losing before a team can make the next step and win in the playoffs.

LakeShow
04-13-2010, 11:49 AM

:downspin: I don't know but it's no way in hell the Thunder beats the Lakers. They'll be lucky to win a game. Lakers in 4 or 5.

Banzai
04-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Damn, if only they could have gotten Portland with a healthy Blazers team :( :(

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/8/l_49dbefaf51bc5346aefdeda8725e428e.jpg :lol