PDA

View Full Version : Stan Van Gundy: LeBron’s Going to Win MVP Every Year

duncan228
04-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Stan Van Gundy: LeBron’s Going to Win MVP Every Year (http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2010/04/stan-van-gundy-thinks-lebrons-going-to-win-every-mvp/)
by Marcel Mutoni
SLAM

It’s not something that SVG is necessarily happy about, but there’s a chance that LeBron James will win the MVP award for the next several years. According to the Orlando Magic head coach, this is largely due to how the voting media (and myopic fans) view what makes an MVP.

SVG doesn’t believe that defensive-minded players — say, Dwight Howard — ever really get seriously considered for the award. In Cleveland for the Magic/Cavs game yesterday, and dripping with sarcasm, Van Gundy explained his rationale (http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/20868119?source=rss_blogs_NBA) to the assembled press.

The Orlando Sentinel has the quotes (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-magic-cavaliers-news-0412-20100411,0,3285808.story):

“You know how the vote’s going to go. LeBron (James) will win the MVP every year until he retires,” Van Gundy said. Van Gundy was likely playing to the Cleveland media. But there’s part of him that feels that the MVP — decided by the media — will be James’ award to lose for a long time. “LeBron has to go into the year and basically lose the MVP. You guys have decided he’s the MVP,” Van Gundy said.

“I don’t even know if Michael Jordan was as hyped as he is, and then [James] goes out and exceeds it.” Van Gundy says that fans and media “view players primarily as scorers … and view most everything else as secondary,” meaning they overlook Van Gundy’s guy, Dwight Howard, the favorite to repeat as defensive player of the year.

“[Defense] doesn’t translate into MVP voting. People look at it as it’s not as important … I don’t understand that.”

There’s no doubt that scorers have the advantage when it comes to gaining votes during awards season, but that has nothing to do with LeBron winning his second consecutive Maurice Podoloff trophy. He unquestionably deserves it, and perhaps will deserve to win the next couple of them, too.

Van Gundy’s gripes will do little to change the MVP voting, but will add some added fuel to the Magic/Cavs rivalry. And should the two teams meet this postseason (http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2010/04/orlando_magic_coach_stan_van_g_1.html), both LBJ and Dwight will be given ample opportunity to prove which of the two is most valuable.

Stan: Pencil in LeBron as MVP of the decade (http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/20868119?source=rss_blogs_NBA)
Ken Berger
CBS Sports

Stan Van Gundy has been stumping for Dwight Howard as the NBA's MVP for a few weeks, as is his right. Not only is Howard Van Gundy's player, a very credible case can be made for him to win the award.

But with anticipation that LeBron James will win his second straight MVP and do it unanimously, Van Gundy said Sunday that we might as well just give him the trophy for the next decade.

"Obviously I'm biased," Van Gundy said before the Magic played the Cavs in Cleveland's regular season home finale. "I'm in a situation where I see a guy every day and know what he does. But look, I've said all along, too: We all know how the vote’s gonna go. I mean, LeBron will win the MVP every year until he retires.

"I think it is tougher for big guys, but there’s a lot of things that go into it," Van Gundy said. "For the next eight to 10 years, LeBron basically has to go into the year and lose the MVP award. I think you guys have already decided that he’s the MVP and he has to go in and lose it. That’s a pretty good position, and he ain't ever going to lose it because he’s a damn good player."

As usual, Stan the Man was on a roll, and there was no stopping him.

"I don’t even know if Jordan was as hyped as he is and then he goes out and lives up to the hype and sometimes exceeds it," Van Gundy said. "That’s not easy to do. He’s a hell of a player. I mean, I'm not going to argue when he’s the MVP, that’s for sure."

But Van Gundy did take issue with a couple of aspects of the voting. First, in basketball and all sports, Van Gundy said the MVP voting shouldn't be done until after the playoffs. To an extent, I agree. (Remember Dirk Nowitzki winning the MVP in 2006 and losing in the first round to Golden State.) But the NBA Finals MVP usually takes care of the best player in the playoffs, and it's not all bad to keep what essentially are two separate NBA seasons apart when it comes to awards.

"The year’s not over this week," Van Gundy said. "To disregard the playoffs, I don’t care what sport you’re in, when you’re picking an MVP doesn’t make any sense to me. Then again, I’m not running the league."

Secondly, Van Gundy believes scoring is given too much weight in the media's calculation of MVP worthiness. I can see both sides of this argument. On one hand, Howard will most likely be named the unanimous defensive player of the year, a well-deserved honor for his defensive and rebounding dominance. But shouldn't his impact on those areas of the game be given equal consideration with scoring average? There is a scoring title for that, after all.

"His scoring would have to go way up," Van Gundy said. "We’re a team that offensively is not going to help him right now win an MVP award. We’re built on much more balanced scoring than most of the other teams. It’s tough. [Steve] Nash did it as a point guard, but it’s tough to do it without averaging 25 right now."

JoeTait75
04-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Between the Hedgehog and Dewey Howard the Magic have to be the whiniest bitches in the Association. I can't wait till Cleveland waxes that ass.

MiamiHeat
04-12-2010, 07:52 PM
James is unquestionably the best wing player since Jordan retired, but..

he will suffer from the same thing Jordan did.

The media will get bored of voting for him every fucking year, even though he deserves it, and give pity MVP's to other players.

Michael Jordan lost out on at least 3 MVP's where he was the clear MVP, but the media kept whining about giving it to the same guy every year.

James will suffer from this, as you can see SVG already bitching, and LeBron's only on his 2nd.

hitmanyr2k
04-12-2010, 07:57 PM
James is unquestionably the best wing player since Jordan retired, but..

he will suffer from the same thing Jordan did.

The media will get bored of voting for him every fucking year, even though he deserves it, and give pity MVP's to other players.

Michael Jordan lost out on at least 3 MVP's where he was the clear MVP, but the media kept whining about giving it to the same guy every year.

James will suffer from this, as you can see SVG already bitching, and LeBron's only on his 2nd.

True. This reminds me when Karl Malone campaigned for the MVP in '97 and the media gave him a charity award even though Jordan put up the typical great season and had the Bulls with 69 wins :lol

I seriously HATE this kind of shit when the coach and player whine to the fuckin media. Gary Payton and George Karl did the same thing so Payton could win the DPOY in '96 even though there were far better defenders.

The_Dude
04-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Stan Van Jeremy takes baths in bleu cheese and chicken wings. That fat bastard is annoying as all hell.