PDA

View Full Version : Who takes Fortson?

SPARKY
05-05-2005, 09:34 AM
Seattle presents some matchup problems for the Spurs but while Lewis and Radmanovic are the ones most frequently cited, at least in this forum and in the media, I think Fortson is much more of a concern than those two for the Spurs.

Fortson's physicality, along with James', is something that posed a problem for the Spurs in the regular season. As much as some still do not understand, the game is still won and lost in the paint. Fortson, James, and the rest of the flotsam and jetsam open up the Sonics' perimeter game through their aggressiveness in the offensive paint and also helps the Sonics cope with the Spurs on the defensive end.

As much as there seems to be a feeling that the Spurs have 'solved' the Sonics, I don't see that yet.

The puzzle remains...

ducks
05-05-2005, 09:43 AM
Nazr

manustarting2gd
05-05-2005, 09:47 AM
Ding, Ding,ding! Mohammed plays Fortson. Puzzle solved. James guarded by Tim , GAME OVER.

ChumpDumper
05-05-2005, 09:49 AM
Fortson isn't going to play 10mpg if the Spurs stay aggressive.

boutons
05-05-2005, 09:50 AM
http://www.nba.com/sonics/stats/

.... why are you concerned about a guy who's playoff-averaging 9 MPG, 5 PPG, under 2 RPG, and 4 PF/9 minutes?

Concerned about Fatson rather than 2 hot-shooting big 3's?

Sparks-and-flames-out-your-ass forum.

SPARKY
05-05-2005, 10:00 AM
Obviously croutons missed the regular season.

ChumpDumper
05-05-2005, 10:10 AM
If he can't stay on the floor against Sacramento and the refs are calling games tighter in the playoffs, there doesn't seem to be alot to worry about. We'll see.

exstatic
05-05-2005, 10:12 AM
I'd put the guy who punched the usher the other night on him. ;)

T Park
05-05-2005, 10:14 AM
Take the fuckin ball to the hole and get their bigs in foul trouble.

He isnt a shot blocker.

All he is is a goon rebounding punk.

He doesnt have a good jump shot, he has a decent post game.

Nazr Mohammed, and maybe Tony Massenburg should see some time this series.

GrandeDavid
05-05-2005, 10:15 AM
The Spurs are getting a taste of all the guys from my alma mater- first Kenyon Martin and DerMarr Johnson, now Danny Fortson. However, I'm assuming Fortson would be more problematic than either Martin or Johnson were.

TwoHandJam
05-05-2005, 10:20 AM
I agree that Fortson and James are not talented and hence very foul prone defenders but I do worry about their physicality. Denver had thugs to be sure but Nene and Martin aren't particularly dirty thugs.

James and Fortson are really nasty and these guys play with reckless disregard. Wasn't Fortson the guy who broke Chabarkapa's (sp?) hand on the Suns? That play was downright malacious and I don't believe it was the first time he's done shit like that.

Then you have James cracking Manu this year in one of our reg. season matchups. Personally, I don't see these guys as threats to winning but I'm worried they'll try to take one of our guys out. I worry for Manu and Parker in this series.

picnroll
05-05-2005, 10:23 AM
Nazr and if he gets particularly nasty TMass.

T Park
05-05-2005, 10:26 AM
The thing that seperates the Sonics and the Nuggets.

Camby, Nene, and Martin can play good D, AND are threats offensively.

Fortson and James are not.

They are garbage point guys, who get there stuff on defensive rotation mistakes.

Jerome James had a huge series cause he was wide open the whole damn time.

boutons
05-05-2005, 10:29 AM
Fortson has burned his bridges in Seattle, and he ain't doing shit in the playoffs, and didn't do shit for Seattle in the 2nd half of the season.

James is doing 19 and 10 in playoffs, the rest of the starters, etc, etc are what you plan for.

Fortson is their 10th or 11th man. Sparky is strategizing for the end of the Sonics bench ahead of the first 8 rotation?

T Park
05-05-2005, 10:33 AM
I think the other guy you gotta worry about that is a sparkplug and can give you fits, is Nick Collison.

Keep him off the boards, and you keep him ineffective.

BronxCowboy
05-05-2005, 10:39 AM
I agree that Fortson and James are not talented and hence very foul prone defenders but I do worry about their physicality. Denver had thugs to be sure but Nene and Martin aren't particularly dirty thugs.

James and Fortson are really nasty and these guys play with reckless disregard. Wasn't Fortson the guy who broke Chabarkapa's (sp?) hand on the Suns? That play was downright malacious and I don't believe it was the first time he's done shit like that.

Then you have James cracking Manu this year in one of our reg. season matchups. Personally, I don't see these guys as threats to winning but I'm worried they'll try to take one of our guys out. I worry for Manu and Parker in this series.

I concur with this sentiment. While I don't think that Fortson and James are going to beat the Spurs, I am worried that they might beat UP the Spurs. These two are malicious sons of bitches, hitmen in basketball jerseys. Fortson was the guy who broke Cabarkapa's wrist, and that was just par for the course for him. These guys are not above anything, and I worry about what they might try on Manu and TP, or any other Spur who drives the lane.

Super SONIC
05-05-2005, 10:39 AM
Jerome James had a huge series cause he was wide open the whole damn time.

Take the fuckin ball to the hole and get their bigs in foul trouble.

Why do you say a cuss word in nearly all your posts, TPark? Is that a common practice for San Antonio fans?

samikeyp
05-05-2005, 10:41 AM
No fucking way...just T Park!

Spurs fans never fucking cuss, dammit! :lol

Messin' with ya, welcome! :)

George Gervin's Afro
05-05-2005, 10:43 AM
fortson is an out of control player and a goon. he worries me that he is going to hurt somebody before the series is over.

T Park
05-05-2005, 10:43 AM
dude.

Damn aint even a cuss word anymore come on lol.

No, it is not par for the course, but its a free country and thats how I want to express myself, thanks.

samikeyp
05-05-2005, 10:48 AM
My bad...please substitute "shit" for "dammit" :lol

Super SONIC
05-05-2005, 10:56 AM
I guess the south will never learn correct English. :lol

T Park
05-05-2005, 10:57 AM
uhhhh..........

samikeyp
05-05-2005, 11:01 AM
I guess the south will never learn correct English.

Be nice now! :)

SPARKY
05-05-2005, 11:07 AM
What most of you overconfident Spurs fans are forgetting is that the Spurs have a low post game, unlike Sacto. This means the Spurs will be looking to set up in the half court a lot more and take the action into the paint. That's where Fortson and James become significant. You cannot count on the Spurs running them into the ground.

2centsworth
05-05-2005, 11:11 AM
What most of you overconfident Spurs fans are forgetting is that the Spurs have a low post game, unlike Sacto. This means the Spurs will be looking to set up in the half court a lot more and take the action into the paint. That's where Fortson and James become significant. You cannot count on the Spurs running them into the ground.
Duncan needs to play big and get their bigs in foul trouble. I like our chances of that happening.

Super SONIC
05-05-2005, 11:17 AM
Seattle is a different breed than Denver. Seattle has more heart, more will, and better talent as well as coaching. Seattle can not be taken lightly, else the Sonics sweep. Either way, Seattle wins. It's just a matter of how many games. I say Sonics in 6.

jalbre6
05-05-2005, 11:19 AM
Seattle is a different breed than Denver. Seattle has more heart, more will, and better talent as well as coaching. Seattle can not be taken lightly, else the Sonics sweep. Either way, Seattle wins. It's just a matter of how many games. I say Sonics in 6.

Nugget fan posters >>>> Sonics fan posters

samikeyp
05-05-2005, 11:27 AM
Seattle is a different breed than Denver.
VERY true.

Seattle has more heart, more will, and better talent as well as coaching.
Most definetly.

Seattle can not be taken lightly,
Agreed, respect must be paid to their accomplishments.

else the Sonics sweep. Either way, Seattle wins. It's just a matter of how many games. I say Sonics in 6.
Oh man....well, up until that part, I was with ya! :) Seriously though, good luck. This is a pretty fun board and please, PLEASE don't go Nugget fan on us. You believe in your team, that's cool but talk basketball don't troll. We had enough of that crap in Round 1.

boutons
05-05-2005, 11:57 AM
Seattle doesn't really play defense, althogh they might try more in the playoffs when focusing on one opponent. They allow 96 PPG and win by +2 PPG, so we really don't have to worry about them causing the problem of last night:

Points in the paint: Spurs -16 and way under Spurs avg Paint PPG.

... although Pistsons and Heat will be able to shut down Tim and the paint.

Spurs shouldn't plan anything specific for a Sonics that probably won't focus on shutting down the paint.

The big problem is Tim's horrible, glaring, eternal failure of holding the ball too long. At this point in his career, no way to fix that.

Horry For 3!
05-05-2005, 12:03 PM
Fortson is always in foul trouble. Mohammed's defense will do good against Fortson. He could frustrate him and probably get some Techs on Fortson.

leemajors
05-05-2005, 12:22 PM
the sonics have more talent than denver? when did this happen? nate mcmillan, who almost got fired after last season, is a better coach than karl, who went 32-8 in the second half?

DannyF
05-05-2005, 05:17 PM
I am amazed at the lack of knowledge some of the people on this site posses. Apparently, some of you have not actually watched the Sonics play. Jerome James does not play thug ball. He just gets in foul trouble with touch fouls. Danny Fortson overtly fouls, but who you should be concerned with is Reggie Evans. He pushes, pulls and generally frustrates everyone who matches up with him. He does not score much, be he rebounds like a mad man, and he gets under the skin of whoever he is guarding. The Sonics were the best offensive rebounding team in the league, based on the number of rebounds available. And for the slow witted out there, that means that the Sonics got a higher percentage of the available rebounds than their opponent.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/statistics?stat=teamstatreb&season=2005&seasontype=2
And since the Spurs keep possessions down by playing great defense, rebounding will be key. I predict that the winner on the glass is the winner of the game.
On a side note, I for one am looking forward to seeing Mr. Longoria get knocked on his ass by a flagrant Danny Fortson elbow. (Sorry to say it, but I just HATE the French) Here’s to a good time!!

samikeyp
05-05-2005, 05:59 PM
so then you advocate dirty play? Nice. :smokin

You do know that Parker is half American, half Belgian right?

DannyF
05-05-2005, 06:09 PM
I wouldn't call it dirty anymore than I would call Ginoblis penchant for falling down a flop.

boutons
05-05-2005, 06:10 PM
"I am amazed at the lack of knowledge some of the people on this site posses."

then save yourself amazement and leave. quick easy painless.

I save myself from reading your crap posts, plonk!

samikeyp
05-05-2005, 06:13 PM
Elbowing someone with the intent to injure is wayyyyy worse than flopping. Although I can't stand flopping either. Its the one part of Manu's game I don't like.

DannyF
05-05-2005, 06:21 PM
I read this blog to familierize myself with the team my team is going to play. When I said "Some of the people" I was not refering to everyone, hence the word "Some". And as far as "elbowing someone with the intern to injure", I would not want anyone one my team to intentionally injure another player. A solid screen that puts someone on their butt is different than an deliberate foul intended to hurt someone. Sacremento let the Sonics do whatever they wanted, they did not protect the lane, and they did not fight through screens. I am sure the Spurs will, and the Sonics may have a diificult time adjusting to playing a team that plays defense after playing one that did not. The Sonics will need to fill the lane to keep Parker and Ginobli from making easy baskets, thats what I was refering to. I have no desire to get in a pissing match with anyone on this blog. I thought it would be fun to discuss basketball with people that are rooting for the other team. I thought it might add insite to the game when I watch them on TV and attend them here in Seattle.

DannyF
05-05-2005, 06:23 PM
And as far as flopping, the Ginobli - Evans matchup will be against two of the bigger floppers in the NBA. I don't like when Evans does it either. Rick Addleman of the Kings said about Reggie Evans, "he flops when the air conditioning comes on" I thought that was hilarious.

ChumpDumper
05-05-2005, 06:25 PM
Hoping for a flagrant elbow isn't fun and you should be called for that. The only good that comes out of that is Fortson's being suspended. We'll talk if he stays in a game over 10 minutes.

samikeyp
05-05-2005, 06:38 PM
I agree with you about a good solid screen. Nothing wrong with that. That was funny coming from Adelman who coached Vlade for so long. :lol

picnroll
05-05-2005, 06:56 PM
I think it was Ridnour that got his clock cleaned on several screens when knucklehead James didn't warn him and let Ridnour run blind into Miller. If I were you I'd be worrying about my own. :lol

DannyF
05-05-2005, 07:20 PM
And thats why we have extra guards on the bench. Our bigs are sometimes oblivious to the screens, and don't call them out.

T Park
05-05-2005, 07:37 PM
Fill the lane with who???

smeagol
05-05-2005, 08:37 PM
"elbowing someone with the intern to injure", I would not want anyone one my team to intentionally injure another player
Call it a hunch, but I don't believe you. You use as your avatar the picture of a play were JJ elbowed Manu with the clear intention of hurting him.

Therefore I call BS to most of what you posted.

timvp
05-05-2005, 08:38 PM
Evans, James, Fortson and Collison have all had success against the Spurs at times. All four players, oddly enough, have been able to score on Tim Duncan. It's going to be another physical series and the Spurs' bigs are going to have to come out and play well.

The Sonics destroyed the Spurs twice this year. I realize a lot of Spurs fans are overconfident right now, but the Sonics can't be overlooked. It's going to be another tough battle.

T Park
05-05-2005, 09:03 PM
I think people overrate, way way way overrate the Sonics.

Especially since their defense is subpar.

I dont think Evans James Fortson or Collison will have the ease of scoring, like they did earlier in the year.

Nesterovic should get more minutes, Nazr Mohammed will have to bring the good D he brought against Marcus Camby.

The Sonics destroyed the Spurs twice this year

Both very early in the year, take it with a grain of salt.

Jimcs50
05-05-2005, 09:06 PM
I think people overrate, way way way overrate the Sonics.

Especially since their defense is subpar.

I dont think Evans James Fortson or Collison will have the ease of scoring, like they did earlier in the year.

Nesterovic should get more minutes, Nazr Mohammed will have to bring the good D he brought against Marcus Camby.

Both very early in the year, take it with a grain of salt.

TPark, the only games we beat them, they were w/o half their stars.

This team can beat SA.

samikeyp
05-05-2005, 09:27 PM
and SA can beat that team.

Jimcs50
05-05-2005, 09:34 PM
and SA can beat that team.

Goes without saying.

But these idiots that give Seattle no shot are deluding themselve. As I said, we have not beaten them at full strengh even one time and they have the biggest blowout of SA this year under their belts.

T Park
05-05-2005, 09:34 PM
they were w/o half their stars.

So what.

In san antonio they didnt have Lewis, ok.

In Seattle no Ray Allen.

Ok fine. I till think you guys overrate this team.

Jimcs50
05-05-2005, 09:38 PM
So what.

In san antonio they didnt have Lewis, ok.

In Seattle no Ray Allen.

Ok fine. I till think you guys overrate this team.

Or Radmanovic, Fortson or Lewis in last game.

DannyF
05-05-2005, 09:54 PM
T Park, I find it funny that you say the Sonics are overrated when anyone suggests that they may not be as easy to beat as you think. The Sonics were picked to finish last in their division, and some suggested they wouldn't even win 30 games (Mark Stein, ESPN). They ended up the 3 seed, and won 52 games. So for you to say they are overrated, how do you expect them to play? Should they just not show up? How in the world do you figure they are overrated when they are 9-point underdogs in Vegas. And what do you base it on? How they finished the year? You sure are short sighted, apparently the Sonics play after your bed time.

T Park
05-05-2005, 09:57 PM
what do you base it on?

I based it on watching the Kings series.

Terrible defense. The Kings most of the time could run whatever they wanted and drove to the hole.

There offense, stay in front guard the jumpshot is not scary.

Duncan, Ginobili and Parker should average 25 a piece easily.

DannyF
05-05-2005, 10:32 PM
Obviously the Kings did whatever they wanted offensivley, I mean they did win one game.

If Duncan, Ginobli and Parker average 25 points apeice, whos going to score the other point?

You seem to forget that the Kings are an offensive driven team. In the 4 games the Kings played the Spurs, the Kings scored 33% of their points in the paint. In the 5 games the Sonics played the Kings, the Kings scored 37% of their points in the paint. So if our defense is terrible, yours is just mediocre? Just the facts. If you would like, check the box scores and do some math.

And when you are talking about people, its spelled "their".