PDA

View Full Version : Possible flaw in the Spurs' rotation.

xellos88330
04-13-2010, 01:19 AM
This thread isn't about Bogans or Mason. This is actually about DeJuan Blair.

Granted I am absolutely in love with Blair, but there is one glaring reason why I do not have 100% faith in him as a rotational player. I hope to god he proves me to be a complete and total jackass. The reason is...

He just doesn't seem to be allowed to play physical defense which is an absolute must when he is on the block. A player of his size should be allowed to use his physical gifts to play defense against a much taller opponent the same way they are able to use theirs on him. This problem is magnified when he is not being posted up. More and more bigs are shooting jumpers these days and with his size he just can't seem to be able to get a good contest.

What strikes me as even more shocking is his ability to play physical when going for an offensive rebound. His physicality is amplified and he can seem to mix it up with the bigs pretty well.

One more problem is his defensive rebounding. He very rarely is able to pull down a defensive rebound with both hands, relying mainly on one outstretched arm to bring it down. When there are alot of big bodies around you a small bump is all it takes to lose control of the rebound when you use one arm. I understand that he only uses 1 hand because you get more length grabbing a rebound with 1 than you can with both hands.

Thoughts on this assesment anyone?

MAKE ME AN ASS DEJUAN!!

200 miles
04-13-2010, 01:26 AM
I hope Blair makes like Juggernaut and just smashes through the rookie wall during the upcoming playoff games.

Refocus
04-13-2010, 01:59 AM
I love Dejuan too but he definitely needs to work on some things this summer. I hope GHill inspires him to work just as hard to improve his game. This kid's future is bright! :toast

HarlemHeat37
04-13-2010, 02:06 AM
He has a lot to learn, which is expected..once he learns the little things about the NBA game, he'll be a beast, the potential is there..he's surpassed the expectations I had for him TBH..

With that being said, he's one of the worst defensive big men in the NBA and I don't see a large role for him in the playoffs..rookie big men generally don't have large roles in the playoffs outside of 1 or 2 games if it's a long run..

Mr Bones
04-13-2010, 02:07 AM
I thought there were two very interesting developments toward the end of the game tonight. The first one came when one of Minnesota's announcers said "Mahinmi's length is really giving Jefferson problems." The second came when Mahinmi went out and Ryan Hollins suddenly began to look like David Robinson while being guarded by Blair. I love Blair's attitude and hustle, but there's just no way he can be the primary post defender against a playoff level team.

TJastal
04-13-2010, 05:31 AM
I hope Ian starts getting some of his minutes next year, he's a much more complete package for a big man... one of Blair or Bonner should be cut IMO, having both puts the spurs in too much of a defensive hole.

Blair's got a few things going for him -- good hands and his rebounding skill that will keep him hanging around in the league for awhile but he's never going to be more than a bench player.

EmptyMan
04-13-2010, 08:51 AM
I am praying for Blair to reach Beast Mode in the playoffs. (srs)

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-13-2010, 08:56 AM
Blair's an intriguing piece of the puzzle going into the playoffs precisely because of that physical style. It's been frustrating at times watching him struggle to stay on the floor because of foul trouble, especially when it's taken him out of games just as he was starting to get on a roll. My hope is with the more physical nature of the playoffs he'll crank the intensity up to 11 and the refs will let the Beast do his thing.

BronxCowboy
04-13-2010, 09:36 AM
Blair has had better nights with the defensive rebounding. I think rebounding is the one thing we don't have to worry about with him. He does seem to have difficulty with playing defense without fouling, and this is an ongoing problem. Sure, he's a rookie and some of this comes with experiene, but IMO he's a very similar player to Danny Fortson, and Fortson never really solved this problem. Malik Rose was better at staying out of foul trouble, but he could only guard certain types of players well. This is why I doubt Blair ever becomes a full-time starter.

SpurCharger
04-13-2010, 09:42 AM
He Has A alot to work on..... But in 2 years when he is playin 35 to 40 mins a game..... he will lead the league in rebounding

Bartleby
04-13-2010, 09:46 AM
one of Blair or Bonner should be cut IMO, having both puts the spurs in too much of a defensive hole.

Cut Blair? Really? That would be beyond stupid.

TJastal
04-13-2010, 09:53 AM
Cut Blair? Really? That would be beyond stupid.

So you're saying this thread is beyond stupid then?

Bartleby
04-13-2010, 09:57 AM
So you're saying this thread is beyond stupid then?

No, just the suggestion that the Spurs would/should cut Blair.

nkdlunch
04-13-2010, 10:03 AM
did I just read someone saying Blair should be cut? WTF u guys smoking?

ATRAIN
04-13-2010, 10:06 AM
I love Dejuan too but he definitely needs to work on some things this summer. I hope GHill inspires him to work just as hard to improve his game. This kid's future is bright! :toast

This

He is a rookie and it shows out there a lot. We should get Malik Rose back to show him how to be an enforcer.

ohmwrecker
04-13-2010, 10:07 AM
Blair is not going to get a lot of minutes in the playoffs unless there is an obvious matchup advantage. Anything the Spurs get from Dejuan is gravy. He is already more skilled than anyone had imagined and he seems like a hard worker. There is no doubt that he can improve. He is only limited in his height, but if Charles Barkley can be an all-star in this league, then Dejuan has a decent shot at being pretty damn good.

Cane
04-13-2010, 10:07 AM
Blair's main problem is that Manu Ginobili seem to be rarely on the court with him anymore. Those two developed decent chemistry and really no one else on the Spurs squad has reached out to him like Manu.

TJastal
04-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Blair's main problem is that Manu Ginobili seem to be rarely on the court with him anymore. Those two developed decent chemistry and really no one else on the Spurs squad has reached out to him like Manu.

Not really. Since Parker's move to the 2nd unit he's hit him with several decent passes. Problem is, Blair just can't finish at the rim when there is a 6'10"+ player nearby. He compensates by getting to the line at a good clip but is an awful free throw shooter. His horrible lateral quickness and lack of hops make him almost useless as a help defender .. his lack of height limits his ability to play good post defense ... and like the OP said he is like a fish out of water trying to guard anyone out on the perimeter.

For the few positives he brings (rebounding) that a whole lot of negatives.. at least Bonner has added some things to his arsenal this year.

Cane
04-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Not really. Since Parker's move to the 2nd unit he's hit him with several decent passes. Problem is, Blair just can't finish at the rim when there is a 6'10"+ player nearby. He compensates by getting to the line at a good clip but is an awful free throw shooter. His horrible lateral quickness and lack of hops make him almost useless as a help defender .. his lack of height limits his ability to play good post defense ... and like the OP said he is like a fish out of water trying to guard anyone out on the perimeter.

For the few positives he brings (rebounding) that a whole lot of negatives.. at least Bonner has added some things to his arsenal this year.

Imo yes really; Manu's the guy that frequently talks to Blair and helps set up plays. He's basically the new Oberto for Manu. Parker has been looking good in that area but thats more of the exception than the rule; Manu and Blair have been a one-two punch off the bench before Parker's injury.

Blair does have a lot of disadvantages but he is a rookie and has shown a lot of upside (20/20 ftw).

Your comment "at least Bonner has added some things to his arsenal this year" doesn't make much sense since this is Blair's rookie year. Bonner has looked good this year though; I wouldn't be surprised if he got Mike D'Antoni's attention - he'd be great in that system.

dbestpro
04-13-2010, 10:54 AM
Blair's problem is he is too short. He needs to be able to shoot a consistant mid range shot or even an occasional three. On defense, he needs to also learn how to play some SF. If not, then this is as good as he will ever be. It's okay for where he was drafted, but overall he becomes too much of a defensive liability over the long haul. He needs another big to cover his man when he is being posted up. Ian looked pretty good yesterday with the help defense. This may be another area of help for Tiago.

chichi!gettheyeyo
04-13-2010, 10:58 AM
he's just a rookie. He will hopefully get 5-10 mins in playoffs.

TDMVPDPOY
04-13-2010, 11:11 AM
that intensity he better bring it against haywood or watever the mavs frontline gives him

xellos88330
04-13-2010, 11:23 AM
On defense, he needs to also learn how to play some SF.

I actually thought of this both on the defensive and offensive end of the court.

The only way I see this as being possible is if you have a Lamar Odom type of player take the 4 or 5 position while DeJuan moves to the 3.

pad300
04-13-2010, 01:18 PM
You guys are really underestimating the practicality of undersized players defending in the post. Take a look at Chuck Hayes. What Blair needs to do in the offseason is watch a lot of film of the better small big men in the league, and how they defend. He's not capable of being the primary help defender - his height and mobility limits his ability to switch away from his man to help out on penetration. Therefore, he is limited to defending the opposition's best big, and he can do that in the paint. With his butt, long arms, strength and low center of gravity, he can make life really hard on a post scorer...If he can do that, he will be a starter level player.

ohmwrecker
04-13-2010, 01:29 PM
I hope Ian starts getting some of his minutes next year, he's a much more complete package for a big man... one of Blair or Bonner should be cut IMO, having both puts the spurs in too much of a defensive hole.

Blair's got a few things going for him -- good hands and his rebounding skill that will keep him hanging around in the league for awhile but he's never going to be more than a bench player.

Your stupidity knows no bounds. It's quite impressive, really. Where do we begin?
Ian is a FA and his return does not look that good. Bonner is also a FA and might be able to fetch more $ than the Spurs are willing to give him. Blair is under contract and the best player of the three.
When is the last time Bonner scored 28pts and grabbed 21 boards? There are too many "ifs" involved in whether Ian will ever develop into a good NBA post player. I would keep him if he wanted to come back on the cheap, but that doesn't seem likely.

GSH
04-13-2010, 01:46 PM
There's an old joke about the old bull and the young bull standing on a hill. The younger one says, "Hey, lets charge down the hill and catch one of those cows and screw her." To which the old bull replies, "No... let's walk down the hill and screw all of them."

Blair is a young bull. As a rookie on one of the best teams in the league, his rookie mistakes are magnified. He could do some of the same things playing for the T-Wolves, and blend right in. He would also get more minutes, and develop more bad habits.

His most glaring problem right now, in my opinion, is getting nailed for too many fouls on plays that are lost causes, or aren't that critical to the flow of the game. He's got to learn that those plays aren't worth being sent to the bench with foul trouble. As for learning the team defense played by the Spurs? Name me a player who hasn't struggled with that in his first season under Pop.

But damn he can do some damage when he is in the game. We all know he's uncanny at getting rebounds. But he also finishes well under the basket (especially for a rookie), and turns a lot of those awkward offensive boards into points. He's improved his passing a lot, and he's getting the better at drawing fouls.

Yeah, there are challenges for an undersized big. He's not going to dominate the low post like a 7-footer. But he'll produce in enough ways to earn solid minutes. Probably not in these playoffs, but that's no surprise for a rookie anyway. The one thing I wouldn't mind seeing is for Pop to use him in a few more situations as an "enforcer", to get an opposing big off his rhythm. If he's going to collect fouls anyway, make sure he gets their attention. We don't really have a guy in that role this year, and I think it's an important part of playoff basketball.

Spurs Brazil
04-13-2010, 03:13 PM
I agree with Harlem, Blair played much better than I expected this season and he'll only get better. But I think he won't play much minutes in the playoffs. Maybe 8-10. TD and Dice will play more and Bonner will get the rest of the minutes off the bench

Old School 44
04-13-2010, 05:07 PM
Blair has had a great rookie season. I think he can easily be an excellent rotational big, maybe even a full time starter. He just needs more time in this league.

One thing I wish he would do more consistently is when he does get offensive rebounds go strong to the rim. Look for the contact, so the opposing bigs don't have the spacing to block the shot. Sometimes he seems to finesse his shots ala Malik Rose and ends up getting his shot blocked.

Solid D
04-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Blair has had a great rookie season. I think he can easily be an excellent rotational big, maybe even a full time starter. He just needs more time in this league.

I agree. He needs more time to develop his defensive game. He's 20 years old. There is no doubt that DeJuan's post defense is poor compared to the rest of his game. He has also struggled in transition on cross-matching and he gets lost sometimes on rotational switches.

However, DeJuan brings a unique energy at both ends that is difficult to explain. He seems to have great instincts anticipating entry passes and on passes coming off ball screens. There have been many steals this year credited to Manu, George and others that were actually initiated by Blair's reach and ball-hawking.

Work over the summer to learn some of the tricks of the NBA trade could help develop DeJuan into something really special. As far as the playoffs go this year...Blair will find a way to serve a purpose and grow in the process.

TD 21
04-13-2010, 09:20 PM
As we've seen recently, I expect Pop to have Blair on a short leash. He'll likely get a 4-6 minute rotation in the 1st half while Duncan rests and if he looks out of place or overwhelmed by the moment, don't be surprised to see Pop go to a three big rotation in the second half.

Particularly if the Spurs draw the Mavs, we'll probably see Jefferson/Bogans taking turns on Nowitzki (in addition to McDyess/Bonner), which means if they're both playing some minutes at four, it means a fourth big won't be as necessary as it otherwise would be. Also, Blair doesn't have a logical match-up on the Mavs. He can't guard Nowitzki and they may not use a backup four in the rotation (Thomas is out; Najera will probably be used sparingly), so unless he can deal with Dampier and Haywood's length, he'll have trouble getting on the floor, even if he does play well in his initial rotation.

SenorSpur
04-13-2010, 10:52 PM
The real flaw in the rotation is NOT having another big, who can help Duncan protect the rim, rebound and defend the post. Too bad, Ratliff was traded. Ian will not see any playoff action.

superjames1992
04-14-2010, 12:17 AM
Unless Blair grows another 3-4", he'll never be a full-time NBA starter, IMO. That said, I think he'll be a good player off the bench for years to come, barring injury, maybe like Malik Rose.

One thing about Blair is, while we love his offensive rebounding, he really isn't that great at boxing out, IMO, and lets the other teams get offensive boards because of this.

Man In Black
04-14-2010, 12:31 AM
You guys are really underestimating the practicality of undersized players defending in the post. Take a look at Chuck Hayes. What Blair needs to do in the offseason is watch a lot of film of the better small big men in the league, and how they defend. He's not capable of being the primary help defender - his height and mobility limits his ability to switch away from his man to help out on penetration. Therefore, he is limited to defending the opposition's best big, and he can do that in the paint. With his butt, long arms, strength and low center of gravity, he can make life really hard on a post scorer...If he can do that, he will be a starter level player.

The guy is still just a rookie. He's a talent built like Wes Unseld, now he needs to learn to use his body like Wes Unseld. That's like Pop says, Hall of Fame type-stuff.