PDA

View Full Version : Official Playoff Scenarios - From Spurs

PeterBurns
04-13-2010, 12:49 PM
Here's what I just got from the Spurs

WESTERN
Denver wins the Northwest Division if Nuggets win or Jazz loses a game.

Utah wins the Northwest Division if Jazz wins both games and Nuggets lose.

Dallas will be seeded:
* #2 if Mavericks win OR Nuggets win OR Jazz loses a game
* #3 if Mavericks and Nuggets lose and Utah wins both games

Denver will be seeded:
* #3 if Nuggets win OR if Jazz lose to Warriors and Suns lose to the Jazz.
* #4 if Nuggets lose and Suns beat the Jazz.
* #5 if Nuggets lose and Jazz win both games.

Utah will be seeded:
* #2 if Jazz wins both games and Mavericks and Nuggets lose.
* #3 if Jazz wins both games, Mavericks win and Nuggets lose.
* #4 if Nuggets win and Jazz beat the Suns OR if Nuggets lose and Jazz lose to the Warriors and beat the Suns.
* #5 if Jazz loses to the Suns.

Phoenix will be seeded:
* #3 if Nuggets lose and Suns win both games.
* #4 if Suns lose to the Nuggets and beat the Jazz OR Suns beat Nuggets, lose to the Jazz and Jazz beats the Warriors.
* #5 if Suns lose both games OR if Suns beat Nuggets and lose to Jazz and Jazz loses to Warriors.

Portland will be seeded:
* #6 if Blazers win OR Spurs lose
* #7 if Blazers lose and Spurs win

San Antonio will be seeded:
* #6 if Spurs win and Blazers lose
* #7 if Spurs lose OR Blazers win

DesignatedT
04-13-2010, 12:52 PM
this definitely makes it easier on the eyes. thanks :toast

silverblk mystix
04-13-2010, 01:08 PM
THIS thread should be locked at the top---it makes much more sense than the other 300 threads/graphs/charts/etc...

PeterBurns
04-13-2010, 01:09 PM
Getting a thread locked for a good reason is like getting your poster jersey retired.....for a week that is.

Dirkadirkastan
04-13-2010, 01:14 PM
Doesn't shed any light whatsoever on who's playing who, but sure, it's much clearer.

boutons_deux
04-13-2010, 01:17 PM
consistent presentation, professionally formated, and good use of whitespace.

Jimcs50
04-13-2010, 01:21 PM
I think Spurs need to just play all subs and just accept the 7 seed and play Dallas.

We are 0-4 against Utah, so should avoid them. Plus travel to Dallas is much easier on our old guys too.

Spurs can beat Dallas, I think Spurs are playing much better this year going into playoffs than they were last year, and Dallas is not any better, so it follows that we have great chance to make a different result over last years loss to them in round 1.

rayray2k8
04-13-2010, 02:22 PM
This should be at the very top as the official playoff scenario.

superbigtime
04-13-2010, 02:47 PM
Nuggets are going to lose to PHX. Spurs will face Dallas.

HarlemHeat37
04-13-2010, 02:48 PM
Hopefully we get a Spurs-Jazz 1st round..so go Suns and Jazz for tonight, and then hopefully the Spurs take care of business tomorrow..I'm not worried about Utah winning out and Phoenix beating Denver(although the opposite is obviously possible), so for me it'll come down to the Spurs beating Dallas, and I fully believe Pop will have the guys going all out to beat the Mavs tomorrow night so that the Spurs can avoid the Mavs in the 1st round..

Hopefully everything goes well tonight, meaning Utah and Phoenix win..

Blackjack
04-13-2010, 02:51 PM
I'm just in wait-and-see mode.

Whoever it is, is whatever it is.

Let's do the damn thing . . . :hungry:

Supergirl
04-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Wow, the whole Western conf is so tight, it's gonna be an interesting playoff race this year. Any team is capable of beating any other team in teh West, it's gonna come down to coaching, health, and stamina.

Spurs Brazil
04-13-2010, 03:29 PM
I'm just in wait-and-see mode.

Whoever it is, is whatever it is.

Let's do the damn thing . . . :hungry:

agree

:flag::flag:

siraulo23
04-13-2010, 03:44 PM
Damn, too many scenarios, just let it all play out

And start the damn playoffs!

hsxvvd
04-13-2010, 04:24 PM
So what your saying is, we'll finish 7th and play the Mavs.

NFGIII
04-13-2010, 05:40 PM
Since there are only two slots for the Spurs - 6 or 7 - I would lkie to play either the Jazz or the Nuggets.

Jazz - even though the Spurs are 0 - 4 this season those "Spurs" don't exist anymore. This version of the Spurs is a much better one and playing at a much higher level than the one that lost to Utah earlier in the year. And due to the Jazz's inability to win on the road consistently I think that stealing a game (or two) in Utah is very possible if not a given.

Nuggets - not entering the POs playing that well. And since the Spurs have beaten them twice in Denver rather convincingly I think they are ripe for the taking. Coaching is at a premium in the psot season and so far I haven't heard anything about when Karl will return. Dantly seems to have that deer in the headlights look the other night when the Spurs played in Denver. And as Sean said during the game it seems that the inmates are running the asylum with Karl out.

It is difficult to judge a season's work by this team since what we see now has little if any resemblence to the one that started it.

But my gut feeling is the Spurs will end up playing Dallas.

ffadicted
04-13-2010, 06:12 PM
Xylus has a nice image chart on the NBA forum with every possible scenario for every team.

And yeah, we playin dallas lol

DPG21920
04-13-2010, 07:13 PM
So we are rooting for a Denver or Utah win. That would guarantee the Mavs the 2nd seed. That means they have no reason to play on Wednesday.

Frenzy
04-13-2010, 08:07 PM
Damn, too many scenarios, just let it all play out

And start the damn playoffs!

That's what I'm talking about!:flag:

Fabbs
04-13-2010, 09:14 PM
I think Spurs need to just play all subs and just accept the 7 seed and play Dallas.

We are 0-4 against Utah, so should avoid them. Plus travel to Dallas is much easier on our old guys too.

Spurs can beat Dallas, I think Spurs are playing much better this year going into playoffs than they were last year, and Dallas is not any better, so it follows that we have great chance to make a different result over last years loss to them in round 1.
True on the travel, but Dallas is much better since Butler joined, 22-7.

Also Carlisle gives timely minutes to his rookie Frenchies, unlike Dumbass.
(Rodrigue Beaubois vs Ian)

I wanted Spurs (minus Pop) vs Lakers in R1.

TD 21
04-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Hopefully we get a Spurs-Jazz 1st round..so go Suns and Jazz for tonight, and then hopefully the Spurs take care of business tomorrow..I'm not worried about Utah winning out and Phoenix beating Denver(although the opposite is obviously possible), so for me it'll come down to the Spurs beating Dallas, and I fully believe Pop will have the guys going all out to beat the Mavs tomorrow night so that the Spurs can avoid the Mavs in the 1st round..

Hopefully everything goes well tonight, meaning Utah and Phoenix win..

What is with this fear so many Spurs fans seemingly have of the Mavs? There's very little separation between all four of these teams. It comes down to match-ups and I agree with you, the Jazz would be a better one than the Mavs for the Spurs, but I'm not sitting here hoping the Spurs avoid the Mavs out of fear of them not being able to beat them (look at the team stats, aside from standings the Spurs are actually the better team). Honestly, I'd prefer to see another match-up just to see something new, but at the same time it would be nice to see the Spurs get revenge, knock those overrated chokers out and shut up their arrogant fan base.

You being one of the most knowledge fans here and usually seeing things the way I see them, I'm surprised you don't see right through this Mavs team.

HarlemHeat37
04-13-2010, 10:39 PM
What is with this fear so many Spurs fans seemingly have of the Mavs? There's very little separation between all four of these teams. It comes down to match-ups and I agree with you, the Jazz would be a better one than the Mavs for the Spurs, but I'm not sitting here hoping the Spurs avoid the Mavs out of fear of them not being able to beat them (look at the team stats, aside from standings the Spurs are actually the better team). Honestly, I'd prefer to see another match-up just to see something new, but at the same time it would be nice to see the Spurs get revenge, knock those overrated chokers out and shut up their arrogant fan base.

You being one of the most knowledge fans here and usually seeing things the way I see them, I'm surprised you don't see right through this Mavs team.

It's not that I myself fear playing the Mavs..I just really feel good about a potential series vs. Utah, I feel like that would be the best chance for the Spurs to advance and gain some momentum..

TD 21
04-13-2010, 10:46 PM
It's not that I myself fear playing the Mavs..I just really feel good about a potential series vs. Utah, I feel like that would be the best chance for the Spurs to advance and gain some momentum..

I agree.

The Jazz are un-athletic and slightly undersized in the paint and don't have a single shot creator on the wings. So basically, the two main things that could exploit the Spurs, they don't have. Also, despite their sweeping the Spurs in the season series (all four games we played before the Spurs turned the corner), the Spurs have always dominated them and I feel they'd crumble under the pressure of being the favorites against a team they know is, at minimum equal, but probably better than them.

HarlemHeat37
04-13-2010, 10:51 PM
They also lost Ronnie Brewer..as strange as that may sound, he gave the Spurs a lot of problems in the games this year, he was one of their few notable athletes..

FeZZy
04-13-2010, 11:19 PM
you got this from the express news :lmao

td_tp_manu
04-14-2010, 12:15 AM
Now can this be shorten to ->

Dallas will be seeded:
* #2 if Mavericks beat Spurs OR Jazz loses to Suns
* #3 if Mavericks loses to Spurs and Jazz beat Suns

Denver will be seeded:
* #4 if Jazz loses to Suns.
* #5 if Jazz beat Suns.

Utah will be seeded:
* #2 if Jazz beat Suns and Mavericks lost to Spurs.
* #3 if Jazz beat Suns and Mavericks beat Spurs.
* #5 if Jazz loses to Suns.

Phoenix will be seeded:
* #3 if Jazz loses to Suns.
* #4 if Jazz beat Suns.

Portland will be seeded:
* #6 if Blazers beat beat Warriors OR Mavericks beat Spurs.
* #7 if Blazers loses to Warriors and Mavericks lost to Spurs.

* #6 if Blazers loses to Warriors and Mavericks lost to Spurs.
* #7 if Blazers beat beat Warriors OR Mavericks beat Spurs.

FvckMavs
04-14-2010, 12:31 AM
If Spurs win AND Jazz win AND Blazers win, Spurs will play Jazz
If Spurs win AND Jazz lose AND Blazers lose, Spurs will play Sun
Otherwise, we play Mavs

Mel_13
04-14-2010, 12:34 AM
Otherwise, we play Mavs

Perfect post.

Accurately sums up all possibilities for the Spurs in three sentences.

FvckMavs
04-14-2010, 12:46 AM
Blazers will likely win. Jazz will try to beat Suns tomorrow because they will lose HCA in first round if they lose. And if they beat Suns,, they will face either Spurs or Blazers. They may like to play Spurs because they beat us 4 times this season.

Mavs will have to choose between Spurs and a Roy-less blazers.

BronxCowboy
04-14-2010, 06:46 AM
Otherwise, we play Mavs

Not sure who to root for then... Mavs are probably the strongest team of the three, but Jazz have had the Spurs number this season, and Phoenix is the hottest right now. Sucks that Denver is no longer a possibility.

CubanMustGo
04-14-2010, 07:12 AM
Not sure who to root for then... Mavs are probably the strongest team of the three, but Jazz have had the Spurs number this season, and Phoenix is the hottest right now. Sucks that Denver is no longer a possibility.

Sucks that SA rolled over against New Jersey and Memphis. :depressed

Silverheart80
04-14-2010, 07:36 AM
Tonight I'm rooting for Spurs win, Jazz win, Blazers win.

I want the Jazz in the 1st round.

Of the three opponent choices (Mavs, Suns, Jazz) -- Mavs are the least favorable because of matchup problems across the lineup. Suns are a better matchup but their defense is much improved, not to mention their homecourt will be super-amped because we've killed them in recent years. Jazz owned season series 4-0, but 2 of those games were in the 1st 4 weeks of the season. All were pre-All Star Break.

I think the Spurs are vastly improved post-All Star Break, and I can see the Jazz being overconfident against us because of regular season sweep. Jazz pick-and-roll is devastating as ever, but I think overall, we match up well. Would've most preferred getting the Thuggets in the 1st round, but since that's no longer possible, I want us to beat the Mavs tonight, get the 7th seed, and have Jazz finish as the 2nd seed.

urunobili
04-14-2010, 09:18 AM
anything but the Suns plz... :depressed

Manufan909
04-14-2010, 09:34 AM
anything but the Suns plz... :depressed

Out of every possible first round match up, the Suns scare me the most. Mavs scare me almost as much, but concerning the Jazz/Denver, I'd be frothing at the mouth for the Spurs to play one or both of them in the POs.

What I'm more puzzled about is when the Spurs should face LA. I know if they meet it'll be in the WCF, but I think playing ASAP against the Lakers is the best plan. Idk if Bynum will play in the 1st round, but I think he'll be to play in the WCF at least.

spursdotcom
04-14-2010, 10:27 AM
Denver wins the Northwest Division if Jazz lose

Utah wins the Northwest Division if Jazz wins

Dallas will be seeded:
#2 if Mavericks win OR Jazz loses
#3 if Mavericks lose and Jazz wins

Utah will be seeded:
#2 if Jazz wins and Mavericks lose
#3 if Jazz wins and Mavericks win
#5 if Jazz loses

Phoenix will be seeded:
#3 if Suns win
#4 if Suns lose

Denver will be seeded:
#4 if Jazz loses
#5 if Jazz wins

Portland will be seeded:
#6 if Blazers win OR Spurs lose
#7 if Blazers lose and Spurs win

#6 if Spurs win and Blazers lose
#7 if Spurs lose OR Blazers win

*Sorry didn't see it updated at the start of the 2nd page.

DesignatedT
04-14-2010, 12:01 PM
So its either Dallas,Utah or PHX.

spurs10
04-14-2010, 01:14 PM
Whomever we get I feel good about this team...gonna be a wild night! GSG!!!

Mixability
04-14-2010, 01:58 PM
Bring on whoever!

Sausage
04-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Wouldn't mind this scenario..

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/svranger42/SPURS.jpg

Dirkadirkastan
04-14-2010, 03:01 PM
Wouldn't mind this scenario..

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/svranger42/SPURS.jpg

Too bad, because you can't play Denver in the second round.

duncan228
04-14-2010, 03:23 PM
Spurs Roundup: Will it be the Mavs, Jazz or Suns? We'll know tonight (http://www.kens5.com/sports/basketball/Spurs-Roundup-Will-it-be-the-Mavs-Jazz-or-Suns-Well-know-tonight-90839014.html)
by Dan Oshinsky / KENS 5

So it all comes down to this.

The Spurs -- no matter what happens Wednesday night in Dallas -- will be no worse than the 7 seed in the Western Conference. Thanks to Portland's victory over Oklahoma City on Monday, the 8 seed is out of play.

The Spurs' seed hinges on one question: Can Portland beat Golden State?

But the Spurs opponent hinges on another: can the Spurs beat Dallas?

The Seed

The Spurs went 0-3 against Portland this year, so Portland controls the tie-breaker situation. Both teams enter Wednesday's games with a record of 50-31, so if both win, Portland will get the 6 seed.

The only way for the Spurs to grab the 6 seed is if Golden State wins AND the Spurs win.

But that seeding is just the start of the confusion. The Spurs will get either the Mavs, Jazz or Suns in the playoffs. For your pre-playoff perusing, the Roundup has broken down all the potential playoff scenarios and added a special Roundup prediction for each series.

Tonight's Games of Importance for Spurs Fans

* Spurs at Dallas
* Golden State at Portland
* Phoenix at Utah

The Most Likely Scenario: Spurs vs. Mavs
-If the Mavs win, they'll be the 2 seed, playing the 7th-seeded Spurs.

OR:
-If the Spurs, Trail Blazers and Suns win, the Mavs would be the 2 seed and the Spurs the 7 seed.
-If the Spurs, Warriors and Jazz win, the Mavs would be the 3 seed and the Spurs the 6 seed.

Chance of Spurs-Mavs happening: 60 percent. The Mavs are awfully good at home this year, chalking up a 27-13 record. They've won 7 of their last 9 overall. Meanwhile, the Spurs are only 21-19 on the road.

And consider this: the Mavs control their own playoff destiny. Win, and they're the 2 seed. Lose, and they've just given up home-court advantage in a potential second round series against the Jazz, and their road to the Western Conference finals just got that much harder. The Mavs need a win tonight.

Spurs playoff outlook: Spurs fans need only look back to last season's swift 4-1 first round playoff exit to be reminded of how dangerous Dallas is in the playoffs. It's tough to compare the two teams based on their play this season, as their last meeting was in early January, and in two of those games, the Spurs were missing key players. (Tim Duncan missed one game. Tony Parker missed two.)

There was one constant in each of those games, though: Dirk Nowitzki, who averaged 32 points and 9.7 rebounds in those three meetings.

With home court advantage in the playoffs, the Roundup thinks the edge goes to the Mavs this postseason.

The Mildly Complicated Scenario: Spurs vs. Jazz
-If the Spurs, Trail Blazers and Jazz win, the Jazz would be the 2 seed and the Spurs would be the 7 seed.

Chance of Spurs-Jazz happening: 35 percent. The Trail Blazers and Jazz both enjoy huge home court advantages, so they're the favorites Wednesday night. This scenario comes down to the Spurs. They've gotten two big road wins of late: at the Lakers and at the Nuggets. Can they also steal one at Dallas?

Spurs playoff outlook: A Jazz-Spurs series doesn't look good for San Antonio. Utah swept the season series 4-0 this year. But the Utah front line isn't fully healthy. Carlos Boozer strained his ribs on Tuesday, and Mehmet Okur and Andrei Kirilenko have been day-to-day this week. Still, a Jazz team with Deron Williams at the helm -- he's averaging 18.6 points and 10.6 assists per game this season -- is a very scary sight, and winning at Utah is nearly impossible. The Jazz are 31-8 at home this year.

The Way More Complicated Scenario: Spurs vs. Suns
-If the Spurs, Warriors and Suns win, the Suns would be the 3 seed and the Spurs the 6 seed.

Chance of Spurs-Suns happening: 5 percent. Three road teams winning in one night? And one of those is Golden State? My 5 percent prediction might actually be a bit high.

Spurs playoff outlook: Sadly for Spurs fans, this would probably be the most exciting first-round matchup for the Spurs. In all three head-to-head matchups, the teams combined to score over 200 points, but with the increased scoring presence of both George Hill and Manu Ginobili -- and with Tony Parker getting back to health -- the Spurs might have enough firepower to match the Suns' offense. At the very least, this would be an immensely watchable first round series.

spurs10
04-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Very negative article. I'm beginning to believe some people haven't been watching the surge the Spurs have been enjoying lately. Neither the Mavs or Jazz want us right now...I'm sure.

easy7
04-14-2010, 05:04 PM
Spurs can handle anyone right now. They are peaking at the right time and no wonder we have all the Dallas fans here talking sheeat, just went to MavTalk and the place is dead... :sleep

TampaDude
04-14-2010, 08:20 PM
Spurs can handle anyone right now. They are peaking at the right time and no wonder we have all the Dallas fans here talking sheeat, just went to MavTalk and the place is dead... :sleep

Yup...if we're healthy, we can beat anyone 4 out of 7, even the Lakers.

Holmes_Fans
04-14-2010, 09:47 PM
So do the playoffs start Saturday or Sunday? I thought it was Sunday for everyone, or is that just the first TNT game?

DesignatedT
04-14-2010, 10:11 PM
So do the playoffs start Saturday or Sunday? I thought it was Sunday for everyone, or is that just the first TNT game?

They start saturday. Not sure exactly what the schedule is.. It will probably be out after the games tonight.