Bruno
04-13-2010, 02:08 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_joe_alexander.jpg
Born: Dec 26, 1986
Height: 6-8 / 2.03
Weight: 230 lbs. / 104.3 kg.
College: West Virginia
Years Pro: 1

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/joe_alexander/career_stats.html)

Bruno
04-23-2010, 02:49 AM
He has had an horrible year. He even sucked when he played few games in D-League. I wonder if there are still some hopes with him.

If Spurs don't draft a SF with their first round pick, they definitively could sue a prospect SF. Alexander has the drawback of not being Toros eligible but he could be a cheap gamble with a minimum salary.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-23-2010, 03:14 AM
Bruno, how do you compare him to our wing projects Hairston and Gee? He could also play a bit of a SF/PF tweener role, which is a much needed asset in our system.

I've always thought he's talented and would eventually figure it out, so for the min he'd be a good gamble, but that'd obviously be at the expense of one or both of these two.

Bruno
04-23-2010, 04:04 AM
Bruno, how do you compare him to our wing projects Hairston and Gee?

I don't know how he compared to them (I haven't seen a lot of him) but I consider Hairston and Gee as marginal prospect. In fact, I've been way more impressed by Temple and Mahinmi this year.

Hairston looked good at first but I find that he has failed to reach the next step. Gee has had some good games with Wizards but how much value you can put in a game where Gee was playing his career and other players were highly unmotivated?

If Spurs like a young SF (either in the draft or a FA), I doubt they won't go after him because of Hairston and Gee.

mountainballer
04-23-2010, 04:54 AM
Alexander has a huge size advantage over Hairston, (without shoes: 6'4.25'' to 6'7.25'') but they are about the same very impressive leaper.
I don't know why Alexander struggles that badly. ok, he was totally overrated in the 2008 draft, but he should at least be able to make a NBA roster with his tools. must be a mental thing.
I wonder if it wasn't better for Alexander to try the David Lee route and become a PF. they are about exactly the same in size, weight and athleticism. Joe Alexander could also be best as PF in an run and gun system.

mogrovejo
04-23-2010, 06:33 AM
In his first Summer League, Alexander would cross his legs when sliding defensively all the time.... something most kids learn not to do when they're about 12.

Horrible player. It's not mental, he just lacks ability to play basketball -- balance, coordination, weak hands. High center of gravity, can't change directions. Huge leaps, doesn't even run like a basketball player. I've never seen a guy hitting so many screens because he couldn't stop/change directions on time. Bad attitude also. Difficult to coach. More interested in sleeping with the cheerleaders.

Fringe rotation player at best if he works very hard to become a good shooter + a good defender at the 4 (not enough lateral quickness to defend the wing) + better rebounder (small and weak hands to be a really good one, but jumps very high) = small-ball 4.

But why pay a guaranteed salary to this kind of prospect?

superjames1992
04-24-2010, 06:07 PM
I hope the Spurs sign him simply because I'm a WVU fan.

coyotes_geek
04-26-2010, 08:16 AM
Alexander is the textbook example of how dangerous it can be to draft based off of what a guy does in the NCAA tournament.

Gordon Heyward, I'm looking your direction....................

mogrovejo
04-29-2010, 05:28 AM
Alexander is the textbook example of how dangerous it can be to draft based off of what a guy does in the NCAA tournament.

I don't even follow the NCAA closely and I heard about Hayward way before the tournament.

Hayward is a much better prospect than Alexander, I think. May flame out and shouldn't be taken in the top-10 like Alexander, but there's basketballability in Hayward.

Mr. Body
04-29-2010, 09:44 AM
Hayward is a far, far better basketball player than Alexander ever was or will be. Doesn't mean Hayward is a sure thing, but there is no comparison here at all.

coyotes_geek
04-29-2010, 10:30 AM
I was just making the observation that like Alexander did, Hayward is shooting up the mocks based on what happened in the NCAA tournament and teams can get badly burned if that's how they draft. Hayward's gone from late 1st/early 2nd to where he's now showing up in the teens. To me, that should be a red flag. Doesn't have anything to do with whether or not Hayward will be a good player. It's just dangerous, IMO at least, to be bumping a guy up about 10 draft slots based off of what happens over a 6 game stretch in March.

Mr. Body
04-29-2010, 02:02 PM
If Hayward goes into the first 10 or maybe even top 14 as a lottery pick he might be getting overrated. I admit getting high on Alexander after he beat Duke so handily in the tournament.

mountainballer
05-02-2010, 09:02 AM

Alexander skyrocketed the board after his phenomenal athletic combine test and his great measurements for the SF position.
in the tournament 08 he wasn't that impressive, nice games, but nowhere near what Hayward delivered. (West Virginia was eliminated in the sweet sixteen if I remember right). Alexander had good numbers, but his shooting was sub par and his flaws were obvious, even back in that tournament.
so Alexander might be more of a textbook example of the danger of falling in love with what guys deliver in those tests and workouts.
(see also Milicic, Darko)

GabeIsGone
07-27-2010, 09:20 PM
For the minimum could we find a player with more upside than this guy? I remember him being labled as the 'white hope', as the dude had elite athleticism normally reserved for the darker skinned nba player. For guy #15 on the roster we could do alot worse. Plus the guy is big for his position, something the spurs desperately need.

mountainballer
07-28-2010, 09:51 AM
He needs alot of work, but he has upside. Hes a tweener, but if he could correct his shot, he could be a solid pick up.

it's not only his shot. it's a bit like the James White dilemma. it's about the whole game.

elemento
07-28-2010, 10:43 AM
bust

Chieflion
07-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Nothing to discuss. Will never amount to anything serviceable. Got by on athletic ability.