Bruno
04-13-2010, 02:14 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_jawad_williams.jpg
Born: Feb 19, 1983
Height: 6-9 / 2.06
Weight: 218 lbs. / 98.9 kg.
College: North Carolina
Years Pro: 1

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jawad_williams/career_stats.html)

RFA

Blackjack
04-13-2010, 02:18 PM
North Carolina, Bruno.

He was actually in the Spurs' camp when he first entered the league and he's shown an affinity for 'The Centerpiece'.

Great job with the Think Tank, by the way. :toast

Bruno
04-13-2010, 02:20 PM
Thanks, I've copy/paste Warrick vitals.

venitian navigator
08-02-2010, 11:25 AM
...long defensive three...? and if I rememeber well, can also shoot from downtown...

DesignatedT
08-02-2010, 11:55 AM
Could be interesting.

ChumpDumper
08-02-2010, 01:34 PM
...long defensive three...?I'd probably strike the middle word.

ace3g
08-02-2010, 02:48 PM
Plus he is a restricted FA and I'm sure the Cavs would keep him to have an extra body at the SF spot.

Chieflion
08-03-2010, 01:10 AM
Remember when this guy was shitting on Keith Bogans by shooting mid range jumpers in his grill against the Spurs? They were playing without LeBron and Mo Williams almost got a triple double. Damn it.

admiralsnackbar
08-06-2010, 05:59 PM
Plus he is a restricted FA and I'm sure the Cavs would keep him to have an extra body at the SF spot.

At what point does his RFA status expire? He sounds like he struggles with intensity, but he's as interesting a prospect at the 3 as I've seen this month. I know the Cavs only have Moon at SF right now, but does anybody see Williams being worth dusting off some of the BAE and getting into lux tax for?

ChumpDumper
08-06-2010, 06:41 PM
At what point does his RFA status expire?When he signs a new NBA contract or has those rights renounced.

He sounds like he struggles with intensity, but he's as interesting a prospect at the 3 as I've seen this month. I know the Cavs only have Moon at SF right now, but does anybody see Williams being worth dusting off some of the BAE and getting into lux tax for?Not my money, but probably not worth the tax hit.

FeZZy
08-11-2010, 05:16 AM
are the spurs ever going to get a back up 3?

mountainballer
08-12-2010, 08:39 AM
He was actually in the Spurs' camp when he first entered the league and he's shown an affinity for 'The Centerpiece'.

would not be the first player to finally make a decent NBA career, despite not surviving a sumer with Spurs. (Haslem, Bell) I'm warming up to the idea of getting him. but I think he will re sign with the Cavs though. likely he is trying to get more than the min, finally he will accept a min contract from Cavs (his hometown and after the departure of Lebron there is quite some playing time available)

Mel_13
08-30-2010, 11:52 AM
Jawad Williams is in town now. Might be working out as we tweet. Will be hard for #spurs to make offer Cavs won't match, however

http://twitter.com/jmcdonald_saen

DesignatedT
08-30-2010, 12:03 PM
Jawad Williams is in town now. Might be working out as we tweet. Will be hard for #spurs to make offer Cavs won't match, however

http://twitter.com/jmcdonald_saen

very interesting.

hoopdreams11
08-30-2010, 12:18 PM
Now that Ferry is with us maybe we can make a deal

benefactor
08-30-2010, 12:23 PM
McDonald reporting?

:wakeup

mountainballer
08-30-2010, 12:26 PM

hm. Cavs have Moon and Graham on guaranteed contracts. so it's not that they didn't already have, what Williams could provide.
the QO from the Cavs is 1.03 million, Spurs know that this number is on the table, if they are not prepared to go over this, they wouldn't need to work him out. IMO the crucial point will be a 2nd guaranteed year. (1.2/1.3)
not sure the Cavs are willing to take this, 2nd year would cut into their cap space 2011.

DPG21920
08-30-2010, 12:28 PM
Out of all prospects left, I would like this the most.

Ditty
08-30-2010, 12:33 PM
Yah I like jawad williams I thought his defense was real good for the cavs he has size and big for a small foward... he's not a shut down defender but he can plaay d and score if spurs get him for cheap that would be a bargain

TimDunkem
08-30-2010, 12:37 PM
The Spurs love players who've taken dumps on them in the past. Sign this guy up!

dbestpro
08-30-2010, 12:43 PM
Could be a late bloomer. Played in Europe, D-League and Cavs. Has size to make a difference and has good effort. A former Cav player will have a good handle on Pop's defensive rotations.

Bruno
08-30-2010, 12:55 PM
He fits with Spurs first need on the perimeter: size. If he can play some solid defense, he could be a good addition. I wonder if he works out for a fully guaranteed contract or only a partially guaranteed one.

mountainballer
08-30-2010, 01:30 PM
Cavs fans did like him, from what I read on Cavs forum on realgm. played decent and tough defense, gave effort whenever on the court and hit a 3 once in a while. he would fit, because it seems as if he also did pretty well against mobile combo forwards and that's something Spurs need for sure.

mountainballer
08-30-2010, 02:00 PM
btw. some weeks ago there was a report that Lebron wanted to get him to the Heat.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68198/20100717/lebron_trying_to_recruit_jawad_williams/#
LeBron James is trying to recruit restricted free-agent Jawad Williams to come play for the Heat, according to Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

However, the Cavaliers are interested in bringing him back.

they seem to be good friends, but I'm pretty sure Lebron wouldn't try to bring in someone who isn't somehow helpful and wouldn't improve the team.

ChumpDumper
08-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Glad to hear he started playing defense.

mountainballer
08-30-2010, 03:44 PM
The Heat are pretty full aren't they?

key phrase was:

btw. some weeks ago there was a report that Lebron wanted to get him to the Heat.

Shifty
08-30-2010, 04:42 PM
Less than a week after he comes back we show interest in a former Cavalier? Ferry must've seen something he likes.

6'9, good built are exactly what we need. I do worry about his shooting.

mountainballer
08-31-2010, 02:51 AM
Even before Eddie House was signed the Heat were going to still return 9 of the players off last year's roster. So add the other big two, Big Z and House and Pittman and that leaves little room for Jawad Williams even a couple weeks ago. Almost a month ago I believe.

report was from July 16th, so this was before they re signed James Jones and Magloire and before they signed Z and House.
however, it's pretty obvious that it's linked to the Jones re signing. so they (talking about the Heat FO, because I can't see Lebron call players without any accordance with Riley) either thought Williams is better than Jones (who many here, me included, thought would be a good option for our backup SF) and Williams didn't agree because the QO of the Cavs (1.03M) was already more than what the Heat could offer (0.88M). or they thought he would be a good fall back option if Jones signs with another team (like the Spurs).
Jones is definitely the more talented player and better shooter, but Williams has the same size, is the better athlete and better one on one defender.
bottom line: while it doesn't prove anything, it's still somehow backing the Williams option, if a team that clearly has only one goal (the title) believed he could handle the role of a 9th or 10th player in the rotation.

mountainballer
08-31-2010, 03:57 AM
twitter from Plain Dealer's Cavs beat writer:

http://twitter.com/pdcavsinsider
Let me answer a few quick ones from Phuket. My guess on starting lineup: M.Williams, Sessions, re-signed J.Williams, Hickson, Varejao

so he not only believes the Cavs will re sign Jawad Williams, he even thinks Jawad will become the starter at SF for the Cavs. quite high expectations.
if Cavs really see Williams as potential starter (or at least regular rotation guy), it would of course take more money than discussed to prevent them from matching.

Bruno
08-31-2010, 04:12 AM
Something not to forget when looking at Jawad Williams contract situation is that the QO isn't guaranteed because his contract wasn't guaranteed in 09-10. Making a QO to Jawad Williams wasn't a financial commitment made by Cavs.

mountainballer
08-31-2010, 04:36 AM
Something not to forget when looking at Jawad Williams contract situation is that the QO isn't guaranteed because his contract wasn't guaranteed in 09-10. Making a QO to Jawad Williams wasn't a financial commitment made by Cavs.

so when does it get guaranteed?
(in other words, any offer of guaranteed money to Williams at this point is better than what he has on the table?)

Bruno
08-31-2010, 05:00 AM
(in other words, any offer of guaranteed money to Williams at this point is better than what he has on the table?)

Yes, it is.
If Williams signs the QO, his contract would become guaranteed on January 10th like all non-guaranteed contract.

Chieflion
08-31-2010, 05:01 AM

Yes. A qualifying offer isn't going to get Jawad Willaims to sign if he gets a guaranteed offer from other teams for Cleveland to match or whatever, he is an okay 10th to 12th man. It would be absolutely pointless since it is unguaranteed.

mountainballer
08-31-2010, 06:02 AM
10th man might even not be realistic when looking at our roster. (he would need to be ahead of Anderson in the rotation). but he would definitely be an option against some teams, when he could guard some players Spurs currently struggle to match up with. (Artest, Odom, Warrick, AK47, Green, Durant, Dirk, Marion, etc.). so he would be a 10MPG player, who could see 20 minutes on some nights.

ajballer4
08-31-2010, 12:12 PM
Wouldn't Jamison start for the Cavs?

8FOR!3
08-31-2010, 12:14 PM
Wouldn't Jamison start for the Cavs?

They use him as a power forward do they not?

ajballer4
08-31-2010, 01:13 PM
They use him as a power forward do they not?

Right. The beat writer quoted above said the starting lineup would have Hickson and Vareajo

ohmwrecker
08-31-2010, 02:15 PM
Maybe Cleveland will let him go as Danny Ferry's parting gift.

blkroadrunners
08-31-2010, 02:51 PM
Interesting young prospect. If Williams can improve his 3pt shooting some more, I could see him getting quality minutes in a Spurs uniform.

ace3g
09-19-2010, 08:06 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN

Another SF off table, tho #spurs were never going to get him RT @PDcavsinsider Jawad Williams has decided to accept #Cavs qualifying offer

angelbelow
09-20-2010, 01:06 PM
Too bad, would have liked to see how he does during training camp.

ChuckD
09-20-2010, 09:29 PM
Inevitable. It's really tough to steal an RFA. You usually have to overpay, and the last time SA did so, it cost them a certain Argentinian PF to undo the fiasco.

Bruno
12-26-2010, 10:29 AM
http://news-herald.com/articles/2010/12/26/sports/nh3453848.txt

The Cavs will likely waive forward Jawad Williams before the Jan. 10 date when contracts are guaranteed for the rest of the season. They could always sign him to a 10-day contract.

Udoka has also a great chance of being waived before his contract became guaranteed. Spurs could then give a try to Jawad Williams.

ducks
12-26-2010, 11:08 AM
he could be no worse then udoka

SenorSpur
12-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Actually, I think Williams could be a slight upgrade from Udoka. At least he'd hit a few open shots.

Blackjack
12-26-2010, 01:30 PM
If the Spurs would like to bridge the gap between now and Anderson's return with another low-cost option, Williams would be fine by me. He's definitely a more useful player than Udoka and he's got some familiarity with the Spurs after spending some time with them after being drafted and playing under Brown's defensive schemes.

Plus, he's not someone that would find himself being given favor and minutes at the expense of Anderson because of some veteran seniority. And the only way he would steal minutes would be if he wildly exceeded expectations, in which case would be quite the coup for the Spurs given their lack of size on the wing.

Bottom line, meh ... couldn't hurt.

tdunk21
12-26-2010, 03:04 PM
jawad williams is a lot better than udoka.....am from ohio, i watched cavs games....like blackjack said he is familiar with mike brown's defensive schemes which are somewhat similar to the spurs....

Anonymous Cowherd
12-26-2010, 03:06 PM
yes please. upgrade on Udoka, bit of size, proper SF... perfect option to provide some depth. Let's remember at present Jefferson is our only decent actual SF on the roster.

Darkwaters
12-26-2010, 03:21 PM
I don't know anything about him other than he was on the 05 Tarheels team that won it all and has played sparingly in the NBA. Hes 6'9 too. Thats about it. Can he shoot? Defend? Rebound? Clearing he can't do any of that TOO well or else he wouldn't be getting waived...again.

jjktkk
12-26-2010, 04:26 PM
Williams would be the ideal swing forward canidate. Good defender. Would be a considerable upgrade over Udoka IMO.

mountainballer
12-26-2010, 06:24 PM
Williams looked like a decent option for a back up SF this summer. but there is a reason why the Cavs will waive him. he played unbelieveable bad this season. at this point he definitely doesn't look like an upgrade over Udoka.

DPG21920
12-26-2010, 06:29 PM
Williams looked like a decent option for a back up SF this summer. but there is a reason why the Cavs will waive him. he played unbelieveable bad this season. at this point he definitely doesn't look like an upgrade over Udoka.

This. But, playing for a team with no future, in a terrible city, with your leader as Mo Williams is enough to make even a great man lose interest. I am usually not a fan of the "on the Spurs he would be better..." argument, but in this case, I actually think he would do better in a change of scenery.

Still wouldn't expect much, but at least it would be someone with a little upside. I would do it just to get Ime off the roster so Pop can't even think about giving him one second of PT.

ChumpDumper
12-26-2010, 06:34 PM
He sucks, but he's probably better than Udoka.

Too bad he can't be assigned to the Toros after Anderson comes back.

Blackjack
12-26-2010, 06:40 PM
He sucks, but he's probably better than Udoka.

Too bad he can't be assigned to the Toros after Anderson comes back.

He'd be a stud if he could play against The Centerpiece night-in and night-out.

It's a meh. But I do believe he's a better option than Ime, mountainballer. He might actually serve some kind of use on the basketball court. :lol

Darkwaters
12-27-2010, 02:22 PM
Cavaliers Waive Jawad Williams
Dec 27, 2010 1:46 PM EST

The Cleveland Cavaliers have waived forward Jawad Williams, Cavaliers General Manager Chris Grant announced today.

Williams averaged 4.0 points on .325 shooting and 1.8 rebounds in 15.0 minutes per game in 26 games (one start) this season. In three seasons (all with the Cavaliers), he had career averages of 3.8 points on .369 shooting and 1.5 rebounds in 90 games (seven starts).

“We would like to wish Jawad and his family the best in the future and thank him for his contributions, not only on the court but in the community,” said Cavaliers General Manager Chris Grant.

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/70795/20101227/cavaliers_waive_jawad_williams/#ixzz19LEsJtbp

Anonymous Cowherd
12-27-2010, 05:20 PM
He's on the market, sign him up RC!

How long do we have to waive Udoka (/retain Quinn)?

Mel_13
12-27-2010, 05:38 PM
He's on the market, sign him up RC!

How long do we have to waive Udoka (/retain Quinn)?

Waivers must be initiated by January 5th.

yavozerb
12-27-2010, 07:42 PM

With JA returning in about 4 weeks no need to waste anymore $ on the back up SF spot. I also do not like Ime getting PT, but what exactly does williams do well? Cannot score,rebound,pass, 27 years old (upside, what upside)..No thanks

jjktkk
12-27-2010, 07:47 PM
With JA returning in about 4 weeks no need to waste anymore $ on the back up SF spot. I also do not like Ime getting PT, but what exactly does williams do well? Cannot score,rebound,pass, 27 years old (upside, what upside)..No thanks

Williams provides size, and the ability to defend the 3 and 4. Wouldn't be a bad signing IMO.

yavozerb
12-27-2010, 08:34 PM
Williams provides size, and the ability to defend the 3 and 4. Wouldn't be a bad signing IMO.

If a player is limited offensively they are not going to play with the spurs this season..Take a look at the make of the roster (minus Udoka) and you will see this. Pop is no longer looking for that one dimensional defensive player. Is he a good defender? Not finding much on him being an above average defender. After all this, he will probably be signed tomm. :lol

Anonymous Cowherd
12-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Regardless of Anderson, a squad size of 12 is too risky. We'd need 13, and that means either keeping Udoka (NO) or signing someone else.

jjktkk
12-27-2010, 09:34 PM
If a player is limited offensively they are not going to play with the spurs this season..Take a look at the make of the roster (minus Udoka) and you will see this. Pop is no longer looking for that one dimensional defensive player. Is he a good defender? Not finding much on him being an above average defender. After all this, he will probably be signed tomm. :lol

Williams would be an upgrade of Udoka IMO. I doubt there are any above average defenders, but Williams is a solid defender, he competes well on the defensive end.

ChuckD
12-27-2010, 09:58 PM
Regardless of Anderson, a squad size of 12 is too risky. We'd need 13, and that means either keeping Udoka (NO) or signing someone else.

The NBA requires a minimum of 13 players anyway. You do get up to 2 weeks to sign another one after cutting number 13, something the Spurs were leveraging to the hilt until Anderson went down.

They're going to have to cut Udoka soon, unless they want to guarantee him for the rest of the year, so Jawad probably wouldn't be a bad option as a short term look/13th player soon to be cut.

Spurs Brazil
12-28-2010, 10:17 AM
JMcDonald_SAEN
From the Just Saying Dept.: Cavs have waived Jawad Williams, a player #spurs worked out this summer and liked to an extent.

SenorSpur
12-28-2010, 03:04 PM
Assuming the Spurs aren't interested in Udoka for the duration of the season, any chance the Spurs STILL have interest in Williams, as a end-of-the-bench guy?

jjktkk
12-28-2010, 03:36 PM
Assuming the Spurs aren't interested in Udoka for the duration of the season, any chance the Spurs STILL have interest in Williams, as a end-of-the-bench guy?

You would think so. Williams would be an upgrade of Udoma IMO. Good defender who can play the 3 and 4 spots and another possible candidate to play the 4 in small ball sets.

angelbelow
01-04-2011, 06:00 PM
You would think so. Williams would be an upgrade of Udoma IMO. Good defender who can play the 3 and 4 spots and another possible candidate to play the 4 in small ball sets.

Not only that, hes much younger and has a possible career ahead of him. Udoka is mostly limited these days by his age and the physical tools that are left.

Darkwaters
01-14-2011, 03:52 PM
So what, 7 days left until the league mandates that they sign somebody? Jawad is still unsigned, right? 10 day contract, why not?

ajballer4
02-14-2011, 01:39 PM
How come nobody has signed jawad yet

BOHOLANO#21
02-14-2011, 04:44 PM
How come nobody has signed jawad yet
obviously he sucks...

ChumpDumper
02-17-2011, 07:02 PM
Signed to play in Israel.