PDA

View Full Version : Shane Battier: NBA must become more like the Spanish league

mogrovejo
04-13-2010, 02:35 PM
Shane Battier's plans for a bigger and better NBA
(http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/the_think_tank_shane_battier_2010_04_13.html)
Jason Friedman
Rockets.com Staff Writer

HOUSTON - Defensive ace, team leader, karaoke star – Shane Battier is a man of many talents. Yet whether he’s learning how to lock his man down or rocking the microphone, one thing remains constant: his mind never stops contemplating ways to make the NBA even bigger and better than it already is.

For that reason – and, let’s face it, quite a few others – many have pegged Battier as a future candidate for NBA commissioner. But the Rockets forward says he’s not interested in David Stern’s position; he’d much rather serve as a one-man think tank, brainstorming ideas and creative solutions in order to generate more excitement and foster growth among the league’s global fan base.

So with that in mind, Rockets.com’s Jason Friedman sat down with Shane to pick his brain and discuss some of the ideas he’d love to see implemented. What follows is a transcript of their conversation.

JCF: Let’s start by talking about an idea you threw out there a while ago; one that sort of flew under the radar a bit but I think presents an awesome opportunity for the NBA and its fans. Let’s talk King’s Cup.

SB: As an NBA fan, I’m always thinking of ways to improve the game because I think it’s the best game in the world featuring the most skilled athletes in the entire world. I think there are ways to generate even more excitement. Because in this digital age, whether we like it or not, the public is changing their tastes and you have to keep up with the times and sort of reinvent yourself to keep eyeballs on the game.

There are a couple things you can do to enhance the NBA experience. One of my ideas comes from a conversation with Luis Scola, who played in Spain for many years. Every year, instead of having an All-Star game, around midseason they would have the Spanish League’s King’s Cup, where the top-8 teams would come to a city in Spain. Their fans would travel and they’d have a 3-day single elimination tournament. It’s a very prestigious event, almost as prestigious as winning the Spanish League itself. It has tradition behind it and the teams really play hard when playing for the honor to be named King’s Cup champion.

I think it’s a wild idea to enhance the All-Star weekend but I think it would be a boon for the NBA and would create unbelievable excitement for basketball in this country. Just look at the NCAA tournament; America loves single elimination tournaments. It’s do or die, win or go home and they love the Cinderella. They love when the team that’s counted out wins. They love to see the powerhouses fall. That’s why the NCAA tournament is so great.

My idea for the NBA Cup – we’ll call it the Stern Cup for our purposes right now – is at the All-Star break you go to a football stadium anywhere in the country, set up a basketball court and you invite the top-8 teams regardless of conference to the Stern Cup. So you have the best eight teams in the NBA at that point in the season and you play a single elimination tournament.

You have 4 games on Thursday and the semi-finals on Friday. On Saturday you can have the dunk contest, 3-point shoot-out and all the events they have now and then on Sunday you have the Stern Cup championship. If you want to change up the order and have the dunk contest between games to create excitement, I think that’s a great idea, too. You can have the rookie-sophomore game scattered in there somewhere as well.

Can you imagine a Friday semi-final where Carmelo Anthony would play LeBron James in one game and Kobe Bryant is playing Dwight Howard in the other one? In back-to-back games at the same location?

You’re playing for something. It’s not just a regular game on ABC or FSN. You’re playing for a championship. I think it could be an incredible event that creates a lot of revenue and a lot of interest in the game.

JCF: So would this take the place of the All-Star game?

SB: Yes, I would replace it. People want to see the stars compete and the All-Star game, for as great as it used to be in the 80s and 90s, it’s lost some of its luster. I think you have to reintroduce some sort of competitive element back into All-Star weekend to regain some of the prestige that it once had.

You could even shorten the games to have two halves of 20 minutes each. I understand that the criticism would be that there’s going to be wear and tear, and the potential for injuries. Well guess what: we’re making some pretty good money with this event and we should have some interest in growing the game. I don’t think anyone would complain if you took away three games from each team’s exhibition schedule before the season in order to be able to hold an event like the Stern Cup.

JCF: Alright, well as long as we’re on the subject of making the league even bigger and better, what else have you got?

SB: I also like the idea that Bill Simmons came up with, where instead of the 1 through 8 playoff seeds being determined by record, I think we should only guarantee the top-6 spots in each conference. For the 7th and 8th spots, I think we could have another single elimination tournament – this time including only the non-playoff teams. The teams in the 7th and 8th spots can have byes to give them an advantage but this would give fans of the teams that aren’t in the playoffs something to really grab onto and give them something to cheer for. And it would discourage teams and players from, let’s say, starting their summer vacation early.

I think, again, this would create tremendous excitement for the league and it can only be a positive.

JCF: Speaking of those 7 and 8 seeds, you’re not a big fan of the first round of the NBA playoffs being best-of-7 affairs, are you? You’d rather see the little guy have more of a sporting chance, right?

SB: Changing the format back to best-of-5 creates more excitement and it gives the underdog, the lower seed, a better chance to win. There’s no question about it, it’s difficult for an 8-seed to beat a 1-seed in a 7-game series. I’m sure Daryl Morey can come up with some stat which gives you the exact odds of that happening.

I’ll never forget watching the Denver Nuggets beat the Seattle Supersonics (in the ’94 playoffs). That was tremendous basketball and I just don’t think that’s going to happen much at all in a 7-game series. You have to give, I believe, your fans a little more hope than they currently have in a 7-game series where the 8-seed faces the 1-seed.

The criticism from the first four seeds is that it’s not fair to them. Well, you know what? If you’re better, go out and prove it.

JCF: Fair, but some would say that the beautiful thing about the NBA is that the cream almost always rises to the top, ensuring that the best teams in the league end up winning out and moving on.

SB: Look, I want to see the best teams perform under pressure. That’s what makes sport what it is: people performing at the highest level with consequence on the line. That’s what makes LeBron James and Kobe so special: they deliver when the game is on the line. So if we create a more pressure-filled scenario like a best-of-5 first round series or a single elimination tournament like the Stern Cup, we see what an athlete’s made of. And that’s the beauty of sports.

JCF: You’re also a proponent of shortening the regular season as well, correct?

SB: There are too many throw away games in the NBA regular season. For anyone who’s gone through an NBA season, they know it’s nearly impossible to go maximum intensity for all 82 games of the year just because of the grind and the travel. I think the game suffers because of that.

Don’t get me wrong, we travel first class all the way. We have chartered flights, we have people who pick up our bags, so it’s absolutely the best it can be. But with that said, I still think the game suffers because we can’t be at our physical peak due to the overall grind. I think by dialing the season back to where we play 58 games and you play every team once – once at home and once away – you’re creating a more pressure-filled environment where every game means so much more, so you have to play at your best if you want to get into the playoffs. You can’t afford to have a four or five game losing streak in a shortened season.

I think the fans would appreciate it more, too. I know I’ve talked to a lot of NBA fans and they say, “I’d love to get season tickets but the commitment is just too great.” Instead of 41 nights a year, I think 29 home games is much more manageable for a fan. If I were a season ticket holder, I think I would appreciate that. Yeah, I’d love to see Kobe Bryant come to my arena twice a year. But you know what, I’d also like to see everyone play hard every single night in a pressure-filled situation. By shortening the season and creating that scenario I think you’d get that effect.

JCF: In other words, you want to make it a little more like football then.

SB: Yeah, that’s why the NFL is such great theater. Those guys are bringing it every single day and it seems to come down to the last game every single year. It’s great theater, it’s great drama and it’s great entertainment and that’s what our league is about, so let’s do everything we can to bring as much of it as we can to the NBA.

JCF: Are there any rule changes you’d like to implement?

SB: One rule that I wish they’d institute is I’d like to see them follow the college model and make technical fouls count as a personal foul. I understand there are times when the game is heated and people get into it but there’s no reason why you can’t control your emotions while you’re on the basketball court. So there should be a penalty for not being able to do that and the penalty should be a personal foul. You put your team in jeopardy of losing you as a player when you’re swearing and throwing a tantrum. I’m not saying that would stop all technical fouls but it would make more guys pause to know that they’re hurting their team by yelling at the official.

JCF: How about the lottery system? You guys are finishing strong despite having been eliminated from playoff contention. And while we all know it’s important to learn how to win and to establish that winner’s mentality, there’s also no denying the fact that it’s hurting your team’s draft position.

Or take a team like Indiana; some of their fans are actually upset because the Pacers are playing so well and adversely affecting their chances to win the lottery. I know this isn’t a new issue but it hardly seems fair to punish a team and its fans for playing hard down the stretch, even when all hope of a postseason appearance has been lost.

SB: I’d like to see a return to how it used to be where you take the non-playoff teams and give them equal odds in the lottery. That would deter teams from sending their players home early for summer vacation. It would improve the ratings for the lottery, I’ll tell you that for sure.

I have a problem when you just mismanage a team so bad and gut it – it’s not fair to the fans. Once you alienate those fans it’s hard to get them back because there are so many other things to do these days. Let’s really test these GMs and owners and hold their feet to the fire.

JCF: So here’s the real question: Have you approached David Stern about any of these ideas yet?

SB: I’ve been told that if I’m going to present these ideas to the commissioner then I better have the answers to all his criticisms of my plan. And the No. 1 criticism is going to be the division of money and loss of revenue from shortening the season or losing a playoff game or shortening the exhibition season. It has to be made up somewhere. But I think you can recoup those losses over the long run with TV deals and with the amount of revenue that’s generated by the Stern Cup. Those can easily replace the revenue lost by ditching a few preseason games.

We still have to innovate our game to make it more appealing. And I do think you can create interest without ruining the integrity of the game. I respect tradition, history and the records of the great players that came before us. But you don’t want to ruin the opportunity for growth because we’re too conservative in our thinking. I think those things I mentioned are minor ways to tweak the game so that the interest could really grow. And that’s what we’re trying to do. We’re trying to get more eyeballs on the game and create more interest.

You have to get creative with your selling of the product but I think over the long run you can attract more fans and those fans would be apt to buy more jerseys and buy more tickets and buy more souvenirs. I think it’s a great way to market the game and, more importantly, to make sure that the fans you have are fans for life.

Ghazi
04-13-2010, 02:38 PM
Interesting.

mogro I need your analysis of the potential/likely Spurs/Mavs series.

CubanMustGo
04-13-2010, 02:45 PM
The King's Cup idea works for Spain in part because the entire country's smaller than Texas. You're not going to get a lot of fans in the US traveling cross-country to attend something like this -- they're going to the NCAA playoffs instead. Why would they go to a meaningless mid-season 'top eight' tourney?

The league would lose too much TV/ticket money going back to best-of-five or reducing the number of games in the season to even consider it.

HarlemHeat37
04-13-2010, 03:03 PM
I love the idea of shortening the season and I like the concept of something like for the All-Star Weekend, although maybe not exactly what Battier suggested..I also like reducing the series' to best of 5 again..I'm not a fan at all of the tournament for the 7th and 8th seeds though..

MiamiHeat
04-13-2010, 03:10 PM
so a mini-fake championship mid-season?

wouldnt work, no legitimacy, nobody would care

in2deep
04-13-2010, 03:11 PM
The King's Cup idea works for Spain in part because the entire country's smaller than Texas. You're not going to get a lot of fans in the US traveling cross-country to attend something like this -- they're going to the NCAA playoffs instead. Why would they go to a meaningless mid-season 'top eight' tourney?

The league would lose too much TV/ticket money going back to best-of-five or reducing the number of games in the season to even consider it.

you can travel across the country in 6 hours and for around $200. I don't see a problem with that. It's what already happens at the allstar weekend.

Battier is one smart dude.

Pelicans78
04-13-2010, 03:14 PM
The NBA is kinda boring at times. Too many games, long 1st round series. Yawwwnnnnnnnnn

SAtown
04-13-2010, 03:20 PM
so a mini-fake championship mid-season?

wouldnt work, no legitimacy, nobody would care

Well it'd give lesser teams with no titles something to look forward to :lol

noob cake
04-13-2010, 03:55 PM
Reduce season to 62 games.

2 games each against 25 teams, 3 games each against 4 teams in your division

Commish Battier

baseline bum
04-13-2010, 04:19 PM
The only ideas I agree with are that all lottery teams should get equal odds to discourage tanking and that 1st round series are better at 5 games than 7. The single-elimination tournament at the All-Star break would be bad basketball from teams who don't really care about the result and who probably would rather be resting for the stretch run of the season. As for limiting the length of the season, I hate that idea. I like that a team can make a trade in February and still have 30 games to get their new players integrated into the system. I like being able to see rivals like the Lakers, Mavericks, Nuggets, and so on 3 to 4 times a season and how a team has to therefore do well against its competition in the conference to get a good playoff seed.

adidas11
04-13-2010, 04:25 PM
Some of these ideas are brilliant.

I love the Stern Cup idea. Take a week off during the NBA season and do the All star weekend/half week type of thing with this tournament. Everyone already travels in droves to the All Star weekend anyhow. 8 team tournament, with quarters played on Friday night, Semis on Saturday, and championship game on Sunday.

Not enough prestige in it? Well, you could already say the same thing about All Star weekend right now. Its a joke. By making it more competitive and throwing in more MONEY for the winners, you can definitely make it more prestigious. Or you could give the winner a reward, like a first round bye in the playoffs or something to that effect.

Muser
04-13-2010, 04:26 PM
Just shorten the season, the quality of the basketball would increase so much.

baseline bum
04-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Not enough prestige in it? Well, you could already say the same thing about All Star weekend right now. Its a joke. By making it more competitive and throwing in more MONEY for the winners, you can definitely make it more prestigious. Or you could give the winner a reward, like a first round bye in the playoffs or something to that effect.

That's what's cool about the all-star game; it doesn't mean anything. It's just an exhibition where you can see Magic come in and dominate after not playing for a year, or Kidd throwing alley-oops to Shaq, Garnett, and Duncan, or McGrady passing to himself off the board and dunking it, and so on. Seeing the same teams play another couple of games just doesn't sound all that interesting to me.

TheChillFactor
04-13-2010, 04:56 PM
(http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/the_think_tank_shane_battier_2010_04_13.html)JCF: Speaking of those 7 and 8 seeds, you’re not a big fan of the first round of the NBA playoffs being best-of-7 affairs, are you? You’d rather see the little guy have more of a sporting chance, right?

SB: Changing the format back to best-of-5 creates more excitement and it gives the underdog, the lower seed, a better chance to win. There’s no question about it, it’s difficult for an 8-seed to beat a 1-seed in a 7-game series. I’m sure Daryl Morey can come up with some stat which gives you the exact odds of that happening.

I’ll never forget watching the Denver Nuggets beat the Seattle Supersonics (in the ’94 playoffs). That was tremendous basketball and I just don’t think that’s going to happen much at all in a 7-game series. You have to give, I believe, your fans a little more hope than they currently have in a 7-game series where the 8-seed faces the 1-seed.

The criticism from the first four seeds is that it’s not fair to them. Well, you know what? If you’re better, go out and prove it.

Don't worry Battier, thankfully there are still teams like Dallas around to choke away a first round 7 game series every so often...

DesignatedT
04-13-2010, 05:43 PM
not a big fan of that all star weekend idea... the other things don't seem to bad. but no "stern" cup :lol

sribb43
04-13-2010, 06:01 PM
I wonder if Shane realizes that decreasing the amount of games means that salaries would decrease as well....good luck getting that by the players association

Bob Lanier
04-13-2010, 06:09 PM
"Drama"

ffadicted
04-13-2010, 06:16 PM
I wonder if Shane realizes that decreasing the amount of games means that salaries would decrease as well....good luck getting that by the players association

This. People have to understand it's just not possible from any conceivable angle lol

Also, Stern cup would be baddass, make it more like football where there are different titles one team can win every season (ex: CL, Premier, FA, etc..).

Gary Neville
04-13-2010, 07:28 PM
NBA has nothing to fix IMHO. They just need to rescind their policies of stoking the hot/stewing those who're not, hence their magnified rims need to be removed to begin with.

ChumpDumper
04-13-2010, 07:48 PM
I wonder if Shane realizes that decreasing the amount of games means that salaries would decrease as well....good luck getting that by the players associationI know. I would immediately have asked him if he would accept the 30% pay cut for playing the number of games he mentioned.

vander
04-13-2010, 09:51 PM
I think the NBA just needs to cut out the 7th and 8th playoff seeds, do it like the NFL,

give the regular season more meaning

xellos88330
04-13-2010, 11:16 PM

Fewer games could mean longer careers. A player could probably last a few seasons longer than they could now because there is less strain on the body.

mogrovejo
04-14-2010, 08:32 AM
I don't agree with a single idea from Battier except maybe the 5 games 1st round - although I'm not sure it'd work from a financial perspective. Probably not.

I agree the quality of the game would improve immensely with a shortened season, but I doubt the mid-season tournament would even come close to make up for the lost revenues. And yeah, players love the idea of a short season under the premise "less games, same salary".

One of the reasons the King's Cup work is because teams and players want to win it to honour His Majesty, the Beloved King Juan Carlos. Unfortunately, most NBA players are too dumb to recognize the Greatness of His Majesty.:bang

Interesting.

I think it's unfortunate both teams play each other so soon. Have to think about the matchups.

siraulo23
04-14-2010, 08:47 AM
best of 5 in the 1st round of the playoffs, and best 7 from there~

Shorten the season, I approved of this idea too

Dont like the Stern cup idea though

diego
04-14-2010, 08:49 AM
actually, with the owners looking to renegotiate contracts, the players should go for a shorter season. also, with fewer games, they could probably charge more for tickets

the cup idea isnt bad, and it could potentially be a good money maker, but as an NBA fan im not sure it would be that exciting/important, it would always be 2nd rate next to the championship

DAF86
04-14-2010, 11:51 AM

Why? do you think (like I do) that mogrovejo is a good knowledgeable poster?

lefty
04-14-2010, 12:28 PM
Battier for Prez

Mark in Austin
04-14-2010, 05:35 PM
The only ideas I agree with are that all lottery teams should get equal odds to discourage tanking and that 1st round series are better at 5 games than 7. The single-elimination tournament at the All-Star break would be bad basketball from teams who don't really care about the result and who probably would rather be resting for the stretch run of the season. As for limiting the length of the season, I hate that idea. I like that a team can make a trade in February and still have 30 games to get their new players integrated into the system. I like being able to see rivals like the Lakers, Mavericks, Nuggets, and so on 3 to 4 times a season and how a team has to therefore do well against its competition in the conference to get a good playoff seed.

Agree for the most part, I think changing the lottery is a great idea. I guess I'm a little more ambivalent about the Stern Cup thing. The All-Star game for me is boring as hell - a tournament of some sort would be more compelling to watch. Not sure if it makes sense for the teams though.

That's why I also like the idea of a play-in tournament for the final two seeds in each conference - it would actually add revenue so it seems like an idea that would be more easily embraced by all sides - maybe the play-in tourney can help offset lost revenue from the switch back to a 5-game first round.

jacobdrj
04-14-2010, 05:57 PM
Reduce season to 62 games.

2 games each against 25 teams, 3 games each against 4 teams in your division

Commish Battier

I was thinking the same thing.

And I think Shane is thinking much along the same lines as I am, and has some great ideas.

While in the short run we may not like a NCAA tourny style cup, in the long run I think we will, and I think it is the next best thing to the 1 on 1 tournament we have been looking for in the NBA for oh-so-long.

Props, Shane. I hope you become the next commish.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
04-14-2010, 09:43 PM
One of the reasons the King's Cup work is because teams and players want to win it to honour His Majesty, the Beloved King Juan Carlos. Unfortunately, most NBA players are too dumb to recognize the Greatness of His Majesty.:bang

:wtf

Do you believe that foreigners, and Tau or Barcelona players wanna win it "for the Greatness of His Majesty"?