PDA

View Full Version : Barkley picks Cavaliers to win NBA title

duncan228
04-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Barkley picks Cavaliers to win NBA title (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=txbarkleyplayoffs)
By Brian Mahoney

Charles Barkley wonders if the Cleveland Cavaliers are resting LeBron James too much, but doesn’t see anything stopping them from winning their first NBA title.

Not a banged-up Kobe Bryant and the defending champion Los Angeles Lakers. And certainly not the aging Boston Celtics, who the Hall of Famer believes have too much mileage on their legs to mount a real threat.

“When you get older and people say, ‘When we get healthy,”’ Barkley said Tuesday during a conference call. “Older people die, they don’t get healthier.”

Cleveland and Boston could meet in the second round, and Barkley sees the Cavaliers advancing.

“I think the Cavaliers are going to win the whole thing,” he said.

Barkley and fellow TNT analysts Kevin McHale and Doug Collins all agree that a potential Cleveland-Orlando matchup would make a terrific Eastern Conference final, with the winner likely meeting the Lakers for the championship.

But they aren’t ready to guarantee Los Angeles a third straight trip to the NBA finals.

“The Lakers appear to be the team to beat (in the West), but they’ve got a lot of question marks right now,” Collins said, listing Bryant’s condition, their depth if Andrew Bynum isn’t healthy, and their ability to defend quick point guards.

McHale said he would be less surprised than others if the Lakers weren’t in the finals, especially after getting a look at Bryant’s broken right index finger when the reigning NBA finals MVP appeared recently on the NBA TV studio show that features McHale. The injury has caused Bryant to shoot poorly late in the season.

“His finger looks just as bad as it did during the All-Star game. I was surprised it didn’t look a lot better,” McHale said. “That thing is really, really looking bad. The swelling hasn’t gone down. It still looks really, really funky.”

Fear of injuries is part of the reason Cavaliers coach Mike Brown has rested James the last three games with home-court advantage throughout the NBA finals already secured. He may consider playing the league’s MVP Wednesday in the season finale against Atlanta, when Shaquille O’Neal is expected to return from his thumb injury.

Barkley thinks James probably should play. He felt it was a mistake that he, Kevin Johnson and Dan Majerle rested so much after Phoenix wrapped everything up in 1993. The Suns were rusty when they opened the playoffs against the Lakers and immediately fell into a 2-0 hole at home, forcing them to play more games than necessary before eventually reaching the finals.

“I’m a little surprised they’ve rested LeBron as much as possible,” Barkley said. “It’s not like he’s 39 years old, so I think Cleveland has to really be careful.”

The Celtics once looked like the biggest threat to Cleveland, but have struggled over the second half of the season and don’t defend nearly as well as they did while winning the 2008 championship.

“You can see they’re not the same. The energy level is not the same,” Barkley said.

“I think the Celtics went for it, they won a championship, and now they’re just an older team. Kevin Garnett is one of my favorite players. You can just tell he’s not the same player.”

The postseason opens Saturday, and TNT begins its coverage with three games Sunday.

D-Wade #3
04-13-2010, 03:37 PM
Uh-oh, the jinx has begun

cheguevara
04-13-2010, 03:50 PM
Barkley will also switch his vote about 18 times in the next few weeks

oligarchy
04-13-2010, 03:51 PM
Barkley will also switch his vote about 18 times in the next few weeks

He's never done that before!

RedsLakers24
04-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Yessss, hes always wrong, last year he picked the Magic

bostonguy
04-13-2010, 03:52 PM
The "resting Lebron decision" may result in a slow start in game 1 for the first half if anything. Worst case, they will be rolling come game 2 as they will sweep the first 2 rounds with ease before taking out Orlando in a non-dramatic 5-6 games.

I just don't see anyone who is going to challenge the Cavs this year. They should have no record worse than 16-4 or 16-3. 1-2 losses to Orlando and 1-2 losses in the finals pending on who they face.

greyforest
04-13-2010, 03:53 PM
has barkley ever correctly predicted anything like this?

cheguevara
04-13-2010, 03:53 PM
he usually predicts the mavs to lose at some point and he's always right. same thing with the Suns.

Baseline
04-13-2010, 03:54 PM
Fine with me.

Anybody but the Lakers.

baseline bum
04-13-2010, 04:05 PM
Way to go out on a limb.

it's me
04-13-2010, 04:09 PM
lol poor Cavs....

Muser
04-13-2010, 04:19 PM
Didn't Dirk really struggle aftert Avery rested him? I know LeBron is better but it will be interesting to see if he has some rust.

baseline bum
04-13-2010, 04:28 PM
Didn't Dirk really struggle aftert Avery rested him? I know LeBron is better but it will be interesting to see if he has some rust.

I don't think it's going to matter in an Eastern Conference first round series. The Bulls are a pretty lousy team in by default after Bosh's season ended.

Killakobe81
04-13-2010, 05:27 PM
This just in ... Lebron James will be MVP ....

Smart $ is on the Cavs ...even I could admit that... why even make this a thread?

If Barkley picked the Mavs, Lakers Nuggs or Magic that would be more newsworthy ...

Höfner
04-13-2010, 05:29 PM
This is like that time he picked the 05 Spurs to win it all

gm5k
04-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Wow, I can't believe he picked the best team in the NBA to win the Title.

yea, I always think that when someone says something along the lines of "I'm gonna have to go with Lakers vs. Cavs for the Finals"...oh really? :wow

Jacob1983
04-13-2010, 06:16 PM
I wonder what he says when the Magic beat the Cavs in the playoffs again this year.

oh crap
04-13-2010, 06:31 PM
guess i'm the only one who doesn't think it'll happen for them this year

bostonguy
04-13-2010, 06:33 PM
I wonder what he says when the Magic beat the Cavs in the playoffs again this year.

Based on what? This Cavs team improved dramatically from a year ago. Shaq will limit Howards scoring plus Lebron has help this time around. Orlando wants nothing to do with a healthy Cavs team. They have no chance in hell to beat them at 100%. In fact no team has a realistic shot at beating them this season. Simple as that dawg.