PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Free Agent: Tracy McGrady

Bruno
04-13-2010, 04:14 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_tracy_mcgrady.jpg
Born: May 24, 1979
Height: 6-8 / 2.03
Weight: 223 lbs. / 101.2 kg.
College: Mount Zion Christian Academy (NC)
Years Pro: 12

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tracy_mcgrady/career_stats.html)

pad300
04-14-2010, 12:01 PM
Injuries, old (32 next season), cursed...
SAS's MLE is reserved for Splitter.
He's not going to get more than the MLE from any team. I would lean towards offering him the entire LLE and praying... He's made enough over the years that success might be more interesting than money. He would add another creative player with a lot of talent, and we could keep his minutes low, just like we did with Barry, thus reducing injury risk. For the LLE, it would be a very good gamble IMO.

Mixability
04-14-2010, 12:03 PM
oh god no.

HarlemHeat37
04-14-2010, 12:13 PM
I'm guessing he ends up in Orlando for little money, depending on how far they go in the playoffs..

benefactor
04-14-2010, 12:14 PM
lol

SPURSCHAMP
04-18-2010, 08:46 PM
nah too old and injury prone

Mr.Bottomtooth
04-19-2010, 08:42 PM
I would go for it if he were to come for cheap. But he's too proud of himself to do that.

DesignatedT
04-19-2010, 11:45 PM
couldnt be worse than jefferson.

coyotes_geek
04-20-2010, 08:39 AM
Pass. These days all TMac is a broken down shot chucker who doesn't play defense. Agree with HH that he'll end up in Orlando on the cheap.

Actually, I think he could. At least Jefferson tries.

Big P
04-20-2010, 08:52 AM
:wow

Mr Bones
05-28-2010, 01:09 AM
If he'd accept the LLE, hell yes. He said in end of year interviews that he's made enough money in his career, and would be willing to play somewhere without money being an issue. Yes, he's not the same T-Mac from 2005, but for a small contract he's a million times better than Bogans, Mason, etc. He's still a great passer, still has a very good mid-range shot, and has defensive length.

Blackjack
05-28-2010, 01:20 AM
I actually think T-Mac could be a nice backup point guard to play alongside Hill and give a similar type of look you get with Manu, if you just looked on the surface of skill-set and talent. But I want no part of his excuse-making, hangnail-notifying, ain't-never-done-nothin', piss-poor attitude.

Unfortunately, for as talented and useful as he still could be, the guy's basically cancer. Not in the conventional way you'd use that term but you can't count on him to be on the court (which effects players and coaches alike) and his attitude, in general, just finds a way to bring down the room.

It's a shame. He really could be helpful to a team like the Spurs.

jjvalerieD
05-28-2010, 01:22 AM
:tu

rayray2k8
05-28-2010, 02:29 AM
lol

:lol

benefactor
07-11-2010, 12:26 AM
Sorry I lol'd you bro. Want a job?

Libri
07-11-2010, 01:01 AM
T-Mac ------>http://www.labelvalue.com/images/handleWithCare.gif

Blackjack
07-11-2010, 01:12 AM
I actually think T-Mac could be a nice backup point guard to play alongside Hill and give a similar type of look you get with Manu, if you just looked on the surface of skill-set and talent. But I want no part of his excuse-making, hangnail-notifying, ain't-never-done-nothin', piss-poor attitude.

Unfortunately, for as talented and useful as he still could be, the guy's basically cancer. Not in the conventional way you'd use that term but you can't count on him to be on the court (which effects players and coaches alike) and his attitude, in general, just finds a way to bring down the room.

It's a shame. He really could be helpful to a team like the Spurs.

Sorry I lol'd you bro. Want a job?

It probably would have been better had I just lol'd him. :lol

I stand by what I said but the reward outweighs the risk at this point and the Spurs aren't in any position to scoff at talent with an overly cautious approach.

I'd expect him to land in LA or MIA but you have to kick the tires; sometimes it takes rolling the dice to have a chance to win . . .

coyotes_geek
07-11-2010, 02:14 PM
No worries there. LLE can only be 2yrs max.

Bruno
07-11-2010, 03:22 PM
:vomit:

Not even for the min.

DPG21920
07-11-2010, 07:08 PM

Not even for the min.

Last time you said that, Bonner got a 4 year deal. Bonner thread!

Blackjack
07-11-2010, 07:18 PM

Not even for the min.

I wasn't sure you'd have anything left after the Bonner contract -- this gives me hope you'll be able to muster up something once Bogans is brought back. :tu

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2010, 11:23 AM
He needs a lot of touches to be productive. Sure, if he'd focus on being a team player and rebounding and defense he'd be an awesome role player. Fat chance.

If Jefferson bolts and the Spurs are looking at absolutely nothing at the 3 then, I guess, why not? The Spurs have made stretches before on aging vets who once never would have appeared to be Spurs material (Ron Mercer, NVE & Glenn Robinson).

Cane
07-12-2010, 12:07 PM
He'd be a decent roleplayer if he can have the mentality of a Grant Hill 2.0

scottspurs
07-19-2010, 02:41 AM
At this point why not?

MaNu4Tres
07-19-2010, 02:52 AM
At this point why not?

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mlv7Bp-L2MM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mlv7Bp-L2MM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

scottspurs
07-19-2010, 03:01 AM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mlv7Bp-L2MM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mlv7Bp-L2MM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
:lmao

Kent_in_Atlanta
07-20-2010, 06:00 PM
I haven't kept up with all of the salary cap stuff and what is or is not possible from an economic standpoint... so help me out here.

Any chance the Spurs could lure T-Mac to San Antonio with their remaining $??

m33p0
07-20-2010, 06:01 PM
he's going to Miami.

Kent_in_Atlanta
07-20-2010, 06:03 PM
he's going to Miami.

Latest word I heard on that (Stein - ESPN) is that he's NOT likely to land in Miami. http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/18437/latest-buzz-rj-shaq-t-mac-more

ElNono
07-20-2010, 06:04 PM
I thought the Clips were trying him out this week...

DesignatedT
07-30-2010, 09:46 PM
Nothing else on tmac? Clippers still the spot?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-30-2010, 10:44 PM
If only T-Mac were the kind of guy who could sacrifice himself to team success, he'd be a perfect fit for us. Unfortunately, that's not T-Mac though.

elemento
07-30-2010, 10:53 PM
I pass that lazy ass

07-30-2010, 11:52 PM
tmac for whatever remaining money the spurs have left is a no brainer. he only becomes a gamble if the spurs pay him over $5 million a year.

DesignatedT
07-31-2010, 01:28 AM
Exactly if he wants to come here for cheap than I am all for it. Worst that could happen if hes a cancer is waive his ass. He's going where the money is though IMHO.

kobyz
08-06-2010, 12:31 PM
come on Spurs gemble on him, we need player with size at SF position and he is low risk high reward type player!

8FOR!3
08-06-2010, 01:17 PM
T-Mac signing would complete this offseason. The man is 31 years old and still in his prime. If he's healthy he'd have the best year he's had since 08.

Blackjack
08-06-2010, 01:26 PM
If the Spurs were to cut Gee, they'd have $1,514,468 left available to remain under the tax -- Gee's guaranteed $100K and Temple's now guaranteed $110k, both for simply being on the team by a certain date. (July 1st for Gee and Aug. 6th for Temple)

I'd love to have T-Mac's size and skill set if I knew he could be/become a solid all-around player more on the periphery, but I just can't see the Spurs gambling the type of money his acquisition could potentially cost them.

I didn't get a chance to really see T-Mac last year upon his comeback, so I can't speak to where his game is or project with my own knowledge, but the fact that he's still on the market and has been willing to play for so little and a team like Chicago has past on him so far after working him out ... that has to speak volumes about where he's at.

Great players that become a shell of themselves -- perimeter players more so than any other -- don't have a good history of becoming really good role players that can utilize their talent for lesser roles.

Always been a fan of T-Mac's game, even if not attitude/way, so I hope he can make it back and enjoy some Grant Hill-like success as a role player -- that guy seems the exception to the rule.

Indazone
08-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Cause the Spurs don't have enough broken down shooting guards?

Indazone
08-06-2010, 02:29 PM
Heard about his workout in Chicago, still wants to start and still favoring his knee. The man don't have it upstairs or physically.

ohmwrecker
08-06-2010, 02:31 PM
Honestly, I would rather have Jarvis Hayes, Rodney Carney or, hell, even Adam Morrison.

Blackjack
08-06-2010, 02:33 PM
He apparently wants the opportunity to win a starting job from what I've heard. He's fine coming off the bench to start but doesn't want or intend on staying there, which is a problem.

Not many teams, other than the Spurs recently, feel they can contend with bench players or should/could be out-of-league players in their starting lineup.

HarlemHeat37
08-06-2010, 02:35 PM
T-Mac signing would complete this offseason. The man is 31 years old and still in his prime. If he's healthy he'd have the best year he's had since 08.

:lol What?..

McGrady is done, I would give him a chance if he accepts a 10 MPG bench role as a Point Forward, but he won't accept a role like that for the Spurs IMO, so let's move on..

Indazone
08-06-2010, 02:36 PM
Hey it's ok if T-Mac completely has a miraculous recovery and can prove to the coach in limited game time and in practice that he deserves to start. But until then, stfu and sit on the bench and play when your coach tells you to.

Blackjack
08-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Hey it's ok if T-Mac completely has a miraculous recovery and can prove to the coach in limited game time and in practice that he deserves to start. But until then, stfu and sit on the bench and play when your coach tells you to.

Pretty much.

DesignatedT
08-08-2010, 11:35 PM
Be surprising to see if Detroit really does get him on a minimum contract. I would have expected some better offers out there for T-mac.

lefty
08-09-2010, 12:35 PM
YES !

Do it R.C !

DesignatedT
08-09-2010, 01:19 PM
I still would have liked to see McGrady in a Spurs uniform. Start at small forward and have RJ come off the bench with Manu. That makes too much sense to me.

Completely agree. Especially if he signs for a minimum contract in Detroit. Tells me he would absolutely come here if that's the best offer he has on the table. It's a low risk gamble for that type of money.

Bruno
08-09-2010, 04:16 PM
McGrady has serious heath problems, his attitude is questionable and he would have to play a role he never played in his career.

Because of the luxury tax, Spurs are very limited financially wise. Do you really want that Spurs spend all their remaining money on McGrady?

HarlemHeat37
08-09-2010, 04:17 PM
McGrady starting? :lol :lol..

I'm used to Phila making outrageous statements, but that's even more ridiculous than the usual..

DesignatedT
08-09-2010, 05:05 PM
Who else would there be? If he is willing to the a vet minimum contract than it's a risk worth taking IMO. If the Spurs and Holt are committed to going over the tax again than who cares. A veteran minimum contract for him is a no brainer. If it doesn't work out you can try to trade him or just release him. I would rather give that a shot than sign nobody at all. He has the size for that position unlike Gee and Anderson who are both still very unproven.

pad300
08-09-2010, 05:52 PM
Who else would there be? If he is willing to the a vet minimum contract than it's a risk worth taking IMO. If the Spurs and Holt are committed to going over the tax again than who cares. A veteran minimum contract for him is a no brainer. If it doesn't work out you can try to trade him or just release him. I would rather give that a shot than sign nobody at all. He has the size for that position unlike Gee and Anderson who are both still very unproven.

Yeah, for the vet min, I think he would be a very decent pickup. While he is nowhere near the shooter Brent Barry was, he could bring a similar lubrication effect to our offensive with his vision/passing skills. A barry-esque 20 mpg off the bench could be quite valuable...

And to be very blunt, if SAS wants a shot to win it all this year, they need some unexpected good things happening on a big scale. For example, Jefferson getting his shit together; not scoring 20 pts, but actually fitting in and putting the D together (which I don't personally hold much hope for) and getting his jumpshot back... Like Anderson playing strong enough to steal minutes from Jefferson... Like Blair or Splitter being breakout players - enough to actually bench Matt Bonner... A T-Mac resurgence would be another shot at that. For a vet min contract that's a chance worth having.

kobyz
08-09-2010, 06:26 PM
it's bad management when team manage the team by being thrifty on pennyworth, what is for an owner who pay 70 million another 2 or 3 million, because of this we lost Scola(and maybe titles) and we should not return on mistakes like this and miss opportunities!

ohmwrecker
08-09-2010, 06:41 PM
I'm pretty sure I read that he signed with the Pistons.

Edit: never mind, not a done deal yet.

ohmwrecker
08-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Has anyone seen one article mentioning a Spurs interest in McGrady or vice versa? I haven't seen anything . . . at all.

DesignatedT
08-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Has anyone seen one article mentioning a Spurs interest in McGrady or vice versa? I haven't seen anything . . . at all.

nope

Mark in Austin
08-09-2010, 11:29 PM
If the Spurs reached out in the past to Damon Stoudamire, they probably already reached out to McGrady. My guess is he's not interested in being a role player on the Spurs. I also think he doesn't have the balls or the heart to play for Pop.

TMTTRIO
08-10-2010, 09:39 AM
Interesting that people were ready to let Manu go because he's gotten so injury prone and now they want to sign TMAC.

ace3g
08-10-2010, 09:49 AM
ESPN espn

Report: Tracy McGrady agrees with Pistons on one-year contract - http://es.pn/a2f1Jn

WojYahooNBA

Y! Sources: Tracy McGrady, Detroit Pistons reach agreement on a one-year deal: http://yhoo.it/9w2oAO

coyotes_geek
08-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Interesting that people were ready to let Manu go because he's gotten so injury prone and now they want to sign TMAC.

Manu got a 3yr/$40 mil extension. TMac would be coming here for league min or BAE. The dollars involved change how you look at the injury risk.

Bruno
08-10-2010, 12:40 PM
ESPN espn

Report: Tracy McGrady agrees with Pistons on one-year contract - http://es.pn/a2f1Jn

WojYahooNBA

Y! Sources: Tracy McGrady, Detroit Pistons reach agreement on a one-year deal: http://yhoo.it/9w2oAO

Good news.
McGrady would have been a bad signing for Spurs.

I also don't get the logic behind Detroit signing him. That's a strange move.

lefty
08-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Good news.
McGrady would have been a bad signing for Spurs.

I also don't get the logic behind Detroit signing him. That's a strange move.
Even the eventuality of a trade wouldn`t make sense

Who wants Tmac's contract, even if it's cheap?

ace3g
08-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Looks like he would have taken a bench role to since that is the reason the Pistons signed him

Bruno
08-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Can anyone give a legit reason as to why McGrady would be a bad signing?

He sucks and is bad fit with what Spurs need to fill their roster (defense and 3 point shooting).

lefty
08-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Once more, as a player, he's a lot better than Keith Bogans.
And more injury prone

PM5K
08-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Yeah we didn't sign Bogans either.

Bruno
08-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Once more, as a player, he's a lot better than Keith Bogans.

Well, five years ago...

Have you seen McGrady with the Knicks last year? He was really bad, worse than a player like Bogans.

Bruno
08-10-2010, 04:15 PM
I saw McGrady with the Knicks last year and he did just as good as anyone coming off microfracture and not playing from December to basically march. For the minimum, or even as much money as the Spurs have left there were not better options than Shaq and T-Mac. Which means that the Spurs are commuted to a youth movement.

I guess we didn't see the same McGrady...

And it's sure Spurs are committed to a youth movement. They try to sign some young prospects called James Jones and Raja Bell. Raja Bell is a nice prospect who could be very good in a couple of years.

HarlemHeat37
08-10-2010, 04:19 PM
McGrady would have had to have made some huge strides during this off-season to be considered a good addition..if you don't pay much, I guess it's a low-risk/high-reward type, but he was really bad in New York last year..

He was one of the worst isolation players in the league..he shot 30% from the field in iso situations, turned it over on almost 20% of his isolation plays, and only scored on 27% of the overall amount of iso plays..he has very little ability to beat his man off the dribble anymore..

He was also one of the worst spot-up shooters in the entire league..he shot 29% in spot-up situations..

His only offensive asset is his pick and roll play..he still scores at a decent level in the p&r, but his passing is pretty much his only strength right now from an offensive standpoint..

Again, maybe he has worked out really hard and gotten into better shape, but he was really bad last year..

Defensively, he was horrible any time he had to move..his lateral quickness is completely gone..

McGrady's name is more valuable than his actual play at this point..

Looking back at my first point(I made this post weeks ago), it appears that McGrady didn't really make huge strides during the off-season, since every team appeared to be extremely cautious about signing him, even including the Clippers..

Bruno
08-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Who says the Spurs were trying to sign either? The media? Weren't the Spurs trying to sign half the league at one point? Trade for Vince Carter (and easily could have without giving up any of the big 3). Yet they traded for a player the media had no idea the Spurs were interested in- RJ. My point, don't trust the media. I remember 5 minutes after the Jazz signed Raja Bell Jeff McDonald said something like "The teams interested in Bell are the Lakers, Spurs, Magic, Bulls." Then someone told him he just signed with the Jazz and said "Oh an apparently the Jazz."

Raja Bell said himself that Spurs made him an offer. After all, maybe he is lying...

You consider TMac and Shaq would have been good signings, I consider that both would have been bad ones. Spurs didn't go after them because of that and not because of some kind of youth movement.

Bruno
08-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Dikembe Mutombo said the Spurs were interested in him, or at least his agent did. That was just a ploy to make Houston sign him quicker. It happens.

He said it after signing with Utah.
Keep trying...

MaNu4Tres
08-10-2010, 06:14 PM
He sucks and is bad fit with what Spurs need to fill their roster (defense and 3 point shooting).

This..