PDA

View Full Version : carter now says he wants out

ducks
09-16-2004, 11:43 AM
Vince Carter asks for a trade

DOUG SMITH
SPORTS REPORTER

Vince Carter says it's time to go.

"It's time for the truth: I want to be traded, I'm ready to be traded," the 27-year-old Raptor all-star told the Star last night.

"First and foremost, this has nothing to do with the fans or the city, it's just time for me to look after me."

Carter, who has been the subject of intense trade rumours since the end of the season, said his decision to go public last night is because he's frustrated at the pace of trade talks the Raptors have been pursuing.

He said he's made it known to new general manager Rob Babcock and first-year head coach Sam Mitchell that he wants out of Toronto but he isn't sure they are investigating possible deals as strongly as they could be.

"I want a fair shot at being on the market and being traded and I feel I haven't had that fair shot," Carter said in a telephone interview. "This is about doing what's best for me."

Carter's desire to be dealt stems mainly from increasing frustration regarding the future of the team. If he's not dealt by the beginning of the regular season Nov. 3, he will enter his third straight season with a new head coach and second in a row with a new general manager, playing for a team that has missed the playoffs for two consecutive seasons.

"It's been since 2000 when we were on a certain level (the team advanced to the NBA Eastern Conference semifinals that season) and it's been going down since then," said Carter, who averaged more than 24 points a game for the Raptors last season when Toronto finished 33-49 and out of the playoffs.

`I can spend the rest of my career giving guys a chance. It's time to move on.'

Vince Carter

"It's time to resurrect my career."

Babcock, who took over from the fired Glen Grunwald in early June, has resisted all talk about a Carter trade since assuming his position. While it is hardly a secret that Carter's agents have pushed for a deal, Babcock has said repeatedly he wouldn't make a trade just for the sake of it and would only deal Carter if it made sense for the Raptors.

"Some people might say you're not giving these new guys a chance," Carter said. "I can spend the rest of my career giving guys a chance. It's time to move on."

Carter played in 73 of Toronto's 82 regular-season games last season and there are questions around the NBA about what his status is among the game's elite players. Three seasons ago, he was considered one of the great young players in the NBA but two injury-riddled seasons, where he had to deal with knee injuries, saw his reputation take a huge hit.

"I don't mind taking shots for this team, I know what my (reputation) was and I was the guy everyone was looking to," he said. "But it's time to worry about me. I know that sounds hard but it's how I feel."

Carter is the only high-profile Raptor player to sign a contract extension in Toronto. Unlike Tracy McGrady and Damon Stoudamire before him — two promising players who engineered their own departures — the 6-foot-7 swingman signed a six-year contract extension worth more than $90 million (all figures U.S.) after the 2000-01 season. He still has three years — plus a fourth at his option — to run on that deal and will make more than $12 million this season. The Raptors are scheduled to open training camp on Oct. 5.

Finding fair value for Carter — still considered one of the top half-dozen athletic talents in the league — will be difficult.

"I want them to get someone of fair value. ... but I'm looking for a new start for Vince right now," he said. "I've never been this way, but it's time. I've looked around at so many rosters trying to find what would help this team and it's hard."

Carter said he wouldn't want to get traded to a Western Conference team and he's not adamant about joining a club with a legitimate chance to win the NBA title any time soon.

He conceded it would be interesting to play in New York ("It's the mecca of basketball," he said) despite the presence of ex-Raptor coach Lenny Wilkens, with whom Carter clashed in 2002-03."I would love to play in Florida (where he was born and maintains an off-season home). It's just time to move."

Johnny Blaze 47
09-16-2004, 01:03 PM
That last bolded quote says all you need to know.

Little bitch.

I hope Golden State or Seattle deal their best guys for him. Let him suffer in the Western Conference and get his ass handed to him nightly.

KoriEllis
09-16-2004, 01:04 PM
Carter said he wouldn't want to get traded to a Western Conference team and he's not adamant about joining a club with a legitimate chance to win the NBA title any time soon.

Haha!

He openly admits he's a pussy now?

I guess that's better than pretending.

Brodels
09-16-2004, 01:14 PM
Vince, if you would grow a nutsack, stay healthy for more than 40 games, become a leader, make your teammates better, give 100% all of the time, be smart with the media, and try to get along with your coach you might be more than one of the greatest underachievers to ever play in the NBA.

Rarely does someone with so much ability do so little.

What a little bitch. You signed a contract to play in Toronto. I hope you don't get traded to a western team or an eastern team. I hope you freeze in the cold Toronto winters away from any place that could be described as a basketball hotbed.

What does this bitch think he's doing saying that he wants to be traded to certain places? Play out your damn contract bitch.

Spurminator
09-16-2004, 01:20 PM
Say what you want about Shaq... but he's a trendsetter.

- Declining to play for the Olympic Team
- Demanding to be traded
- Bad rap albums

Brodels
09-16-2004, 01:28 PM
Shaq is a bitch too, but at least he's done something with his career. It's arguable that he doesn't give his maximum effort 100% of the time, but Vince is worse.

Shaq dominates without having to try his hardest. He's a better player than he was ten years ago.

Vince hasn't improved at all. He's still the same player he was in his rookie season. He hasn't learned to make his teammates better like Shaq does, he hasn't learned how to be an effective leader, and he hasn't shown much interest in being in a winning situation.

Vince is exactly what the NBA doesn't need. I hope he rots.

Shaq is a bitch too, but if anyone deserves to ask for a trade, he does because of his accomplishments alone. Vince is just a bitch.

A Vince Carter-led team will never make it to the finals. End of story. With his heart and desire, he may never see the playoffs again.

I'd rather have Peja...and the thing is, Peja might actually be available.

If Toronto really wants to trade him, what could they get?

Peja?
Randolph?
Artest?
Who else is on the market?

The Kings would need to send additional salary of course.

KoriEllis
09-16-2004, 01:32 PM
Raptors' GM Expects Vince Carter to Stay
The Associated Press

TORONTO - Vince Carter wants out of Toronto, but the Raptors' new general manager says he isn't going anywhere.

"It doesn't change anything with us," Rob Babcock told The Associated Press on Friday. "He's under contract with our team. We expect him to fulfill all obligations of the contract."

The Raptors' All-Star guard told the Toronto Star in Thursday's editions that "It's time for the truth: I want to be traded." Carter also said in a letter to fans posted on his Web site that he's not eager to wait while the team rebuilds.

"My frustration comes from the fact that we have not been able to create an equation to win ballgames," Carter wrote. "I am at the point in my career where I do not have time to wait two to four years for a team to mature."

Carter remains one of the NBA's most popular players because of his highlight-reel dunks, but he has lost some of his explosiveness over the last four years because of knee injuries.

Carter, who has four years remaining on his contract, ducked questions about his future with the team when he was in Toronto for his annual charity all-star game in July. But Carter's agent, Mark Steinberg, said a week later his client asked the Raptors to explore trade possibilities.

Babcock, hired in June, acknowledged the trade demand is an "issue" for the franchise, but he said "it's not really an issue" because he's under contract.

"Is it the ideal way going to camp? No," Babcock said. "But it's really not the nightmare that other people think it is. Would I'd rather he was here without making any public statements and that he was 100 percent behind everything here, yeah absolutely, but he's under contract and I think Vince is a good person, and I think he'll be professional and do what he's supposed to do and fulfill his job."

Babcock hopes the five-time All-Star will give his new regime a chance. The Raptors haven't made the playoffs the past two seasons and Sam Mitchell will be Carter's third coach in three years.

"If he comes in with an open mind that's all we want," Babcock said. "He hasn't had an opportunity to play under this system and see what it's like to be a part of this basketball team. This is a whole new era."

Mark in Austin
09-16-2004, 02:40 PM
"I am at the point in my career where I do not have time to wait two to four years for a team to mature."

Hey, Vince,

I didn't realize that being well known as a pussy who refuses to step up and be a leader is by definition a notable career point. And it seems pretty asinine to demand a level of maturity from the rest of the team that you yourself do not have.

Johnny Blaze 47
09-16-2004, 06:23 PM
So he doesn't have time to wait for a team to mature, but he's not adament about going to a contender.

Things that make you go "hmmm..."

iminlakerland
09-16-2004, 06:41 PM
Waaah Waaah Waaah! This little trend nba players are beginning to pull is a little tiresome.

TastesLikeChicken
09-16-2004, 08:21 PM
"My frustration comes from the fact that we have not been able to create an equation to win ballgames," Carter wrote

Didn't (Raptors - Carter) = Pretty good win % a couple years ago

Das Texan
09-16-2004, 08:32 PM
what a fucking baby.

and a pussy also.

ducks
09-16-2004, 08:32 PM
carter for kidd

SequSpur
09-16-2004, 09:53 PM
You all are stupid.

Toronto fucking sucks. They have turnover every year.

Why wouldn't he want the **** out? Some of you are so fucking stupid to rag on him for wanting a change. Big fucking deal if he is under contract.

He is better than anyone on the Spurs not named Duncan.

Get a grip.

Das Texan
09-16-2004, 09:59 PM
Toronto fucking sucks in large because of their fucking superstar.

SequSpur
09-16-2004, 10:03 PM
BS.

A team can have all the guards and small forwards they want. But they can't compete against the elite teams.

Carter is good. If you don't believe that, then you don't know shit about basketball and stick to the club.

Mark in Austin
09-16-2004, 10:49 PM
Carter has the talent to be the best player in the league.

But his mental toughness falls somewhere between Rasho and Hedo. You can be a leader on a bad team - and Vince isn't one.

There's a reason why teams aren't falling over themselves to try to trade for him.

If McGrady (who isn't rock solid in the leadership department himself) was on about a dozen team's list that we know about, and Carter has recieved to this point little more than a yawn from Isiah and not a peep from anybody else, what does that tell you?

The quote is "Leadership is diving for loose balls", not "Leadership is shooting the three 'cause I don't get hit as much out there."

From a talent standpoint, Carter > any Spur not named Duncan. From a team and leadership standpoint, Manu and Tony are both > Carter.

TastesLikeChicken
09-16-2004, 11:22 PM
The word is Carter blames Bruce Bowen for the way Toronto management has handled the situation.

SequSpur
09-17-2004, 02:22 AM
82 games a year.

After you drop 60 percent of the games over the first half of the season, its quite tough to sacrifice your body for a fucking loser.

Isn't it safe to say, that most who post here, know who is going to be in the playoffs and who are the top teams that actually have a chance to win it? Do you think that Carter is that fucking stupid that his team doesn't have a chance in hell to win anything? What fucking hope is that? I would want the **** out too. If Duncan had a bunch of Hedo's around him, do you think he would want to stay here, year after year after year? Hell no.

I don't blame him.

****, Tim, Vince and Parker would kill the rest of the league.

Mark in Austin
09-17-2004, 02:49 AM
Who's been giving you info on Carter, Ahmad Rashad?

shooting guards I would want on my team before Vince Carter:

Kobe Bryant
Michael Redd
Allen Iverson
Ray Allen
Manu Ginobili
Latrell Sprewell
Paul Pierce
Rip Hamilton
Stephen Jackson

Carter has no heart and never takes personal responsibility for his failures. It's always somebody else's fault or some other lame excuse when he doesn't perform. **** that. You gotta have heart to lead, to win.

He could be more talented than Jordan and it wouldn't matter because he plays like a little bitch. The last time Carter did anything significant on the basketball court that didn't involve the slam dunk contest was a couple years ago against Philly in the Eastern Conference semis. And he even blew his chance to be a true leader then when he decided to fly halfway across the continent on the eve of the most important game to be in fucking graduation ceremony.

And now he says he doesn't want to go west? He's a fucking pussy. How long do you think he would last in Pop's or Jerry Sloan's training camp before he's bitching about something?

Hey Sequ, if talent alone = rings, Portland would be a dynasty.

Blow me.

SequSpur
09-17-2004, 02:54 AM
Talent alone?

Duncan + Robinson.

That ain't talent?

Lets see, go back and look at the talent that has won championships.......

Talent alone wins it.....

:blah

iminlakerland
09-17-2004, 03:07 AM
shooting guards I would want on my team before Vince Carter:
Kobe Bryant
Michael Redd
Allen Iverson
Ray Allen
Manu Ginobili
Latrell Sprewell
Paul Pierce
Rip Hamilton
Stephen Jackson

Vince Carter > Tmac :Q

Mark in Austin
09-17-2004, 03:14 AM
for me, the jury is still out on McGrady. What he did last season just doesn't sit well with me.

A team he was leading blew a huge lead in the playoffstwo years ago. Then a team he leads loses 19 in a row. Then he quits on the team before the end of the season.

Talent-wise, he is. But talent isn't the only measure of a basketball player.

iminlakerland
09-17-2004, 03:24 AM
Exactly Mark but i view Carter in the very same exact book. I actually think that McGrady is a lil better than Carter tho.