Bruno
04-13-2010, 04:55 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_wes_matthews.jpg
Born: Oct 14, 1986
Height: 6-5 / 1.96
Weight: 220 lbs. / 99.8 kg.
College: Marquette
Years Pro: R

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/wesley_matthews/career_stats.html)

RFA

mountainballer
04-14-2010, 09:19 AM
trivia (maybe all know this anyhow):
his father Wes Matthews Sr. played for the Spurs 1985-86 and Wes Jr. was born in SA during that span.
btw. Wes SR. played a decent season, likely the best of his career, but was waived shortly before the start of the 86-87 season.

can't tell about his price range, but it would take a significant offer to keep the Jazz from matching. money the Spurs won't be able to offer after they signed Splitter. IMO Jazz will give him something like 3 years and 8-9 million. if he plays in the PO as well as in the last weeks, maybe even a bit more.

HarlemHeat37
04-14-2010, 12:15 PM
I agree, but I would love to see him with the Spurs..I love his game and his work ethic..

Blackjack
04-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Yeah, he's solid. I actually thought the Spurs might use a late pick on him or pick him up after the Draft.

I don't want to eliminate good players solely on account of their size ... but I'm really hoping to see some length on the perimeter to replace, or augment, all the 6-5-ness.

pressurez
05-02-2010, 01:13 AM
How much do you think he'll garner on the market this summer?

I'd put him in the same ballpark as Carl Landry - $3M/yr for 3 years.

I would love to sign him with about 1/2 MLE and Splitter with the other half. That's assuming Splitter gets Scola money, also $3M/yr, and the MLE is around $6M.

Unfortunately both players may wind up getting paid more, but I'd be surprised to see either over $4M/yr.

Imagine:

TP, GHill, GTemple
Manu, Wes Matthews
RJ, 1st rd pick (Gordan Hayward?)
Tim, Blair, Bonner (if we resign him)
McDyess, Splitter

SpursTillTheEnd
05-03-2010, 01:25 AM
Imagine:

TP, GHill, GTemple
Manu, Wes Matthews
RJ, 1st rd pick (Gordan Hayward?)
Tim, Blair, Bonner (if we resign him)
McDyess, Splitter

^^ This rite here would be monster

coyotes_geek
05-03-2010, 09:03 AM
Would be a nice addition, but there's no way Utah lets him get away. With Korver's contract expiring expect the jazz to lock up Matthews and let Korver walk.

tuncaboylu
05-03-2010, 09:16 AM
He's raising his stock every day. We don't have anything except MLE and it seems that we're going to use it to bring Splitter here. That's why Matthews is a long shot

timtonymanu
05-11-2010, 06:17 AM
He's staying with Utah but I wish we could take him.

I wish the Spurs drafted him instead of "McClintock".

mike20spurs
07-03-2010, 01:13 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/49871368-77/bulls-boozer-matthews-free.html.csp

looks like spurs are interested...

ace3g
07-03-2010, 02:13 AM
As much as Matthews is a good player with tons of upside, he is still only 6'5 and a RFA.

GSH
07-03-2010, 03:44 AM
There's a reason why the Jazz have so many hard-nosed players every year - Jerry Sloan demands it, and he helps make them that way. I hate to say it, but I have doubts that Matthews would look like the same player while trying to fit into the Spurs roster under Pop.

The Spurs window is narrowing, and they need players that can make an impact right now. I'm not sure that could happen with Matthews - or, more specifically, that he would be allowed to. If not, it would be a waste of salary and a roster spot, even though I like him as a player.

Besides - I think Sloan likes him well enough to put some effort into keeping him. Somebody is going to over-pay for Korver, and I don't think it will be the Jazz. That makes it more likely that Utah matches any reasonable offer for Matthews.

Bruno
07-03-2010, 06:18 AM
If Spurs are interested in Matthews, it could explain why they say nothing about Splitter.

Matthews is a RFA but he has been with Jazz for one year. Jazz must use their MLE to match offers form other teams. However, Jazz have other needs and could use a part of the MLE on another player.

Spurs best interest in that case is to let Utah in the dark and not reveal what part of their MLE they will spend on Splitter. If Spurs had revealed how much Splitter would get, Utah would exactly know what part of their MLE they can spend to keep the ability to match an offer from Spurs. By keeping the Splitter transaction secret, Utah could move first to sign a FA with a part of their MLE and end up not being able to match an offer for Matthews from Spurs.

Spurs da champs
07-03-2010, 04:00 PM
He played great defense in the playoffs especially on Carmelo and he can shoot the three but I think we're already stacked at the guard which is why I'd pass.

objective
07-03-2010, 04:49 PM
If Spurs are interested in Matthews, it could explain why they say nothing about Splitter.

Matthews is a RFA but he has been with Jazz for one year. Jazz must use their MLE to match offers form other teams. However, Jazz have other needs and could use a part of the MLE on another player.

Spurs best interest in that case is to let Utah in the dark and not reveal what part of their MLE they will spend on Splitter. If Spurs had revealed how much Splitter would get, Utah would exactly know what part of their MLE they can spend to keep the ability to match an offer from Spurs. By keeping the Splitter transaction secret, Utah could move first to sign a FA with a part of their MLE and end up not being able to match an offer for Matthews from Spurs.

I don't see that as too credible.

The Jazz can't assume that Splitter will get any less than Peckovic, certainly no less than Scola. A Peckovic-deal leaves them with less room than the LLE, and a Scola-esque deal close enough.

Why would the Jazz be scared of what the Spurs could offer? Some other team using their MLE is a much bigger threat than the Spurs using the LLE or the pennies left from the MLE.

Bruno
07-03-2010, 05:35 PM
I don't see that as too credible.

The Jazz can't assume that Splitter will get any less than Peckovic, certainly no less than Scola. A Peckovic-deal leaves them with less room than the LLE, and a Scola-esque deal close enough.

Why would the Jazz be scared of what the Spurs could offer? Some other team using their MLE is a much bigger threat than the Spurs using the LLE or the pennies left from the MLE.

You're likely right, but

I can see Splitter focusing on a deal that will make him a FA as soon as possible. A 3 years contract with a player option on the third year would be great for him even with a relatively low salary.

MLE will be around $6M, Scola first year of contract was $2.9M. It <ill leave $3.1M for Matthews. Is it too much for Jazz, likely not.

objective
07-03-2010, 05:40 PM
You're likely right, but

I can see Splitter focusing on a deal that will make him a FA as soon as possible. A 3 years contract with a player option on the third year would be great for him even with a relatively low salary.

MLE will be around $6M, Scola first year of contract was $2.9M. It <ill leave $3.1M for Matthews. Is it too much for Jazz, likely not.

wasn't the MLE for 10 starting at 5.8, and will be at least a little lower for 10-11?

I just don't see how there would be that much left. And Scola's deal was about the lowest I could see, but adjusted for inflation (that contract was 3 years ago), It could be starting at 3.5.

Bruno
07-03-2010, 05:55 PM
wasn't the MLE for 10 starting at 5.8, and will be at least a little lower for 10-11?

The MLE isn't based on the salary cap but is based on the average salary of the past year. In 09-10, the cap was lower than in 08-09 while the MLE significantly raised.

It's possible that the MLE would be higher this year than the past year. It depends if teams have paid more salaries in 09-10 than in 08-09.

objective
07-03-2010, 05:57 PM
thanks

tdunk21
07-03-2010, 06:46 PM
do we have cap space to really pursue wes mathews.....if we do its really a wonderful addition ......i like his work ethics and he is a hard worker

doobs
07-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Not Wes Mantooth.

Sigz
07-03-2010, 09:45 PM
I went to HS with Wesley.

EricB
07-04-2010, 12:48 AM
Not Wes Mantooth.

I will take her out to a nice steak dinner and not call her back.

Spurs Brazil
07-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Jazz Waiting For Spurs, Blazers To Make Offer To Matthews

The Jazz are waiting for free-agent forward Wesley Matthews to receive possible offers from the Spurs and Trail Blazers.

Utah is waiting to see if San Antonio or Portland will make Matthews an offer before committing to just how much they are willing to spend on retaining him.

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67892/20100706/jazz_waiting_for_spurs_blazers_to_make_offer_to_ma tthews/#ixzz0sw3MkXZh

ace3g
07-06-2010, 03:33 PM
that article also mentions the Spurs are interested in Kyle Korver: KORVER, MATTHEWS UPDATES: Add Chicago to a long list of teams supposedly interested in Jazz unrestricted free agent Kyle Korver, one that supposedly already includes San Antonio, Miami, Cleveland New York and New Jersey.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700045854/Utah-Jazz-David-Lee-to-Utah-for-Carlos-Boozer-in-a-sign-and-trade-a-rumor-for-now.html?pg=1

admiralsnackbar
07-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Not Wes Mantooth.

:lol ...first thing I thought of when I saw this thread a few days ago.

Bruno
07-06-2010, 04:24 PM
The Jazz are waiting for free-agent forward Wesley Matthews to receive possible offers from the Spurs and Trail Blazers.

Utah is waiting to see if San Antonio or Portland will make Matthews an offer before committing to just how much they are willing to spend on retaining him.

Yep, it's a waiting game. If Utah start spending a part of their MLE on another player than Matthews, they could lost him.

timtonymanurich
07-06-2010, 09:35 PM
There's a reason why the Jazz have so many hard-nosed players every year - Jerry Sloan demands it, and he helps make them that way. I hate to say it, but I have doubts that Matthews would look like the same player while trying to fit into the Spurs roster under Pop.

The Spurs window is narrowing, and they need players that can make an impact right now. I'm not sure that could happen with Matthews - or, more specifically, that he would be allowed to. If not, it would be a waste of salary and a roster spot, even though I like him as a player.

Besides - I think Sloan likes him well enough to put some effort into keeping him. Somebody is going to over-pay for Korver, and I don't think it will be the Jazz. That makes it more likely that Utah matches any reasonable offer for Matthews.

--Which explains Pops 4 championships and Jerry Sloans 1...2...3..... NO Championships.... Pop is a superior coach bar none. Please process thoughts before typing them.:bang:bang:bang:bang:pop::pop::pop::pop::pimp slap

DesignatedT
07-10-2010, 11:02 AM
No more news on matthews yet? interested to see what happens with this kid.

ace3g
07-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Blazers Meet With Wesley Matthews

The Trail Blazers met with free-agent Wesley Matthews on Thursday night.

"He fills a need," team president Larry Miller said. "He plays hard, is a good defender and is a decent shooter. But mostly, he's a hard-nosed defender, and that's a need for us."

Miller said Portland is not yet ready to make a formal offer to Matthews.

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68044/20100710/blazers_meet_with_wesley_matthews/#ixzz0tIhLqigu

Boss
07-10-2010, 05:49 PM
WojYahooNBA (http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA)
Wesley Matthews has signed a 5-year, $34 million offer sheet with Portland, his agent, Lance Young, tells Y!

tdunk21
07-10-2010, 06:03 PM
WojYahooNBA (http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA)
Wesley Matthews has signed a 5-year, $34 million offer sheet with Portland, his agent, Lance Young, tells Y!

fuckin blazers

DesignatedT
07-10-2010, 06:23 PM
damn thats a pretty good pay day. i wonder if utah matches that.

Sigz
07-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Can't believe Wes is going to have 34 mill to his name.

Much deserved to my classmate.