PDA

View Full Version : In The Last 30 yrs only 8 teams have won the title

Koolaid_Man
04-13-2010, 05:25 PM
For the numerically challenged statistically speaking the Lakers are the odds on favorites to win it again given the numbers below...

Top Teams

Lakers - 9
Bulls - 6
Celtics - 4
Spurs - 4
Pistons - 3

Lucky Teams:

Rockets - 2
Heat - 1
Sixers - 1

Killakobe81
04-13-2010, 05:32 PM
the Rockets were not lucky ...

In fact as good as the last pistons team was you could STILL argue THEY got lucky ...

The rox and the Pistons (Bad boys) had impressive back2back titles

Pistons '05 and Heat '06 very lucky in fact that Heat team maybe the weakest title team of the last 30 years ... much props to Wade and Riley for pulling that team to a title (with a regular season assist from Shaq)

sixers had been knocking on the door of a title for years ...in the 80's losing twice to the Lakers ...

BanditHiro
04-13-2010, 05:47 PM

In fact as good as the last pistons team was you could STILL argue THEY got lucky ...

Pistons '05 and Heat '06 very lucky in fact that Heat team maybe the weakest title team of the last 30 years ... much props to Wade and Riley for pulling that team to a title (with a regular season assist from Shaq)

sixers had been knocking on the door of a title for years ...in the 80's losing twice to the Lakers ...

2003 spurs were the weakest team to win a title. it was suppose to be a rebuilding year

Koolaid_Man
04-13-2010, 05:53 PM

I can agree with that...but Jordan was on gambling break during the Rockets years...but Hakeem was a Nigerian beast that's rarely seen...I totally agree on the Heat weakest title take...that was one for the ages...

djohn2oo8
04-13-2010, 05:55 PM
I can agree with that...but Jordan was on gambling break during the Rockets years...but Hakeem was a Nigerian beast that's rarely seen...I totally agree on the Heat weakest title take...that was one for the ages...

Still, the Rockets didn't have any control over who made it out of the East, their job was to play whoever they were matched up against. Also, with Hakeem in the 80's, those 80's teams were pretty damn good, but still lost twice to the Celtics in the Finals

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-13-2010, 05:56 PM
Sixers weren't really lucky, they had a great team. The 1995 Rockets and 2006 Heat were the lucky ones.

Killakobe81
04-13-2010, 05:57 PM
2003 spurs were the weakest team to win a title. it was suppose to be a rebuilding year

I can see that argument ...maybe I would argue that the Pistons team, Spurs and heat are close ...but I give heat the edge because all the "stars" were washed up or close to it ...but no doubt that heat had more "star" power ...

baseline bum
04-13-2010, 05:57 PM
How is the best team of the last 30 years lucky?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-13-2010, 05:58 PM
Still, the Rockets didn't have any control over who made it out of the East, their job was to play whoever they were matched up against. Also, with Hakeem in the 80's, those 80's teams were pretty damn good, but still lost twice to the Celtics in the Finals

They lost once with Hakeem (and Ralph Sampson), the other one was Moses Malone.

Jacob1983
04-13-2010, 06:05 PM
The Heat was probably the luckiest and worst team to win a title in the last 30 years. They have to be hands down the worst defending champ in that span. They didn't even get 50 wins in their defending season and they were ass raped in the first round by the Bulls. Hockey had 7 different teams win the championship in the 2000s. I believe the Devils and Red Wings were the only teams to win the championship twice in the 2000s. Sad but true.

HarlemHeat37
04-13-2010, 06:10 PM
NHL is obviously a lot different though..when a lower seed beats a high seed in the NHL, it's not surprising at all..a lot of people expect San Jose to lose in the 1st round this year for instance..

As for Miami, they're probably the worst title team of that time, but I wouldn't call them lucky..it's not like they had a bunch of buzzer beaters or had the fortune of injuries to the opposing team..Wade was the best player in the NBA that year, they had a bunch of hungry veterans and a well-built team..I guess you could say that they were lucky that they got the Mavs in the Finals, but we see more luck than that on a yearly basis in the playoffs(Lakers easy road last year due to injuries, Spurs avoiding Dallas in 2007, etc)..

djohn2oo8
04-13-2010, 06:30 PM
Every team needs some amount of luck to win it all, that being said, a title is still a title

DxB
04-13-2010, 06:55 PM
NHL is obviously a lot different though..when a lower seed beats a high seed in the NHL, it's not surprising at all..a lot of people expect San Jose to lose in the 1st round this year for instance..

As for Miami, they're probably the worst title team of that time, but I wouldn't call them lucky..it's not like they had a bunch of buzzer beaters or had the fortune of injuries to the opposing team..Wade was the best player in the NBA that year, they had a bunch of hungry veterans and a well-built team..I guess you could say that they were lucky that they got the Mavs in the Finals, but we see more luck than that on a yearly basis in the playoffs(Lakers easy road last year due to injuries, Spurs avoiding Dallas in 2007, etc)..

hahaha word

Findog
04-13-2010, 07:24 PM

78 Bullets (44-38 in the regular season, only won because Walton got hurt) and the 79 Sonics were probably the weakest champs.

baseline bum
04-13-2010, 07:41 PM
78 Bullets (44-38 in the regular season, only won because Walton got hurt) and the 79 Sonics were probably the weakest champs.

I'll go with the 74-75 Warriors (48-34), since a pretty solid core of the professional talent was playing in the ABA at the time (e.g., Julius Erving, George Gervin, David Thomspon, George McInnis, James Silas, Dan Issel, Artis Gilmore, Moses Malone, Bobby Jones, Maurice Lucas, and Larry Kenon).

In addition to winning in the weakest league the NBA had since the 50s, they were also helped out in the Finals by a ridiculous schedule that gave them home games in game 2 and 3 even though the Bullets technically had homecourt in the series.

JoeTait75
04-13-2010, 07:44 PM

The Bullets had two Hall of Famers (I think both Unseld and Elvin Hayes are in the HOF) and Bobby Dandridge was considered an elite player at his position at the time. I'm not sure why they had such a mediocre record but they certainly didn't lack for talent. And they did win three consecutive series without home-court, including a Game 7 road win in the Finals. That's pretty impressive

I think you could make more of an argument for the '79 Sonics being the weakest Champion since about 1970 or so. My pick would by the 1975 Warriors.

baseline bum
04-13-2010, 07:57 PM
The Bullets had two Hall of Famers (I think both Unseld and Elvin Hayes are in the HOF) and Bobby Dandridge was considered an elite player at his position at the time. I'm not sure why they had such a mediocre record but they certainly didn't lack for talent. And they did win three consecutive series without home-court, including a Game 7 road win in the Finals. That's pretty impressive

I think you could make more of an argument for the '79 Sonics being the weakest Champion since about 1970 or so. My pick would by the 1975 Warriors.

Freaking Bobby Dandridge! :pctoss

That SOB cost the Spurs a title.

D-Wade #3
04-13-2010, 08:29 PM
The weakest champs are the ones that Mavfans have imagined they won

Jacob1983
04-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Shouldn't you be busy giving some hoe in Miami an STD?

D-Wade #3
04-13-2010, 09:25 PM
Shouldn't you be busy giving some hoe in Miami an STD?

LOL Dirk gave a ring to a criminal before Dallas

HarlemHeat37
04-13-2010, 09:29 PM

:rollin

mavs>spurs2
04-13-2010, 09:41 PM
Freaking Bobby Dandridge! :pctoss

That SOB cost the Spurs a title.

hey, when the mavs win game 1 are you going to throw a tantrum again and tell people you hope they die in a car accident?

Killakobe81
04-13-2010, 11:41 PM
I thought OP said in the LAST 30 years? if so Bullets Warrior and Sonics of the 70's doesnt count ...

I started watching in '81 (magic's first title) so I cant speak on those first-hand ...

Pelicans78
04-13-2010, 11:43 PM
2003 Spurs team is the worst I've seen. 2004 Pistons were better. The Spurs-Nets series is by far some of the worst basketball anyone could imagine.

D-Wade #3
04-13-2010, 11:45 PM
2003 Spurs team is the worst I've seen. 2004 Pistons were better. The Spurs-Nets series is by far some of the worst basketball anyone could imagine.

The Spurs-Cavs finals had thje lowest tv ratings of all time

poop
04-13-2010, 11:49 PM

Killakobe81
04-14-2010, 12:02 AM
The Spurs-Cavs finals had thje lowest tv ratings of all time

True but ...as a champion team Spurs had:

HOF center/PF: Duncan
HOF coach: Pop
borderline HOF: Manu
Future all-star/Finals MVP: Parker

Look at the pistons since that title?! :

Billups is still a top 5 PG
Rasheed is fat and just got eviscerated by the former "Boston Sports Guy"
Rip has been hurt and ineffective MOST of the past 2 seasons
Prince never recovered from the torching Lebron gave him in the ECF 4 years ago ...

Lakers implosion allowed that title dont get me wrong Pistons whupped our a$$ and deserved the title ...but history will show besides Chauncey and Larry Brown ...that team was NOT one for the ages ...

The heat at least had some HOF'ers making their last hurrah (Zo, GP, Shaq)

xellos88330
04-14-2010, 01:00 AM

:lmao:lmao:lmao

baseline bum
04-14-2010, 01:30 AM
hey, when the mavs win game 1 are you going to throw a tantrum again and tell people you hope they die in a car accident?

Nah, I only hate the Jazz and Lakers that much.

baseline bum
04-14-2010, 01:31 AM

mavs>spurs2
04-14-2010, 01:58 AM
Nah, I only hate the Jazz and Lakers that much.

it's funny, because i specifically remember you wishing someone and their family dying in a car accident following the mavs rapage of you guys last year..hmm

ChrisRichards
04-14-2010, 02:11 AM
The Heat was probably the luckiest and worst team to win a title in the last 30 years. They have to be hands down the worst defending champ in that span. They didn't even get 50 wins in their defending season and they were ass raped in the first round by the Bulls. Hockey had 7 different teams win the championship in the 2000s. I believe the Devils and Red Wings were the only teams to win the championship twice in the 2000s. Sad but true.
Come on Mavs fan, the Heat were not lucky, they were just well put together and Wade was beastin like Jordan that season.

Wade posted the best PER in the playoffs that time. He single handidly destroyed the Pistons who were the favorites in the East that time and well we know how he attacked Dallas' defensive strategy. Shaq was also still very serviceable at that time. I believe he was averaging 20 and 10 in the first 3 rounds. He ven had a 20pt 20 reb game against Detroit or something close to it IIRC. Best of all, Mourning came through for the Heat in the Finals in short yet very effective stretches.

Riley, Shaq, Mourning and Wade winning a title is no luck son.

baseline bum
04-14-2010, 02:23 AM
it's funny, because i specifically remember you wishing someone and their family dying in a car accident following the mavs rapage of you guys last year..hmm

I said that when Joey Crawford didn't call the foul on Fisher for jumping into Brent Barry at the end of game 4 of the 08 WCF.

TimDunkem
04-14-2010, 02:45 AM
Why the fuck do you care?

mystargtr34
04-14-2010, 08:08 AM

Not sure about that. The East was pretty weak (although the Nets were under rated - beating a damn good Pistons team that went on to win the championship the very next season) but the West was probably at its peak that year with teams like the Lakers, Spurs, Mavs Kings all being legitimate contenders, plus pretty solid 50-win teams like the T-Wolves and Blazers.

Not to mention, Duncan was at his peak and at a level no other play other than Shaq had touched since Jordan. But it might be just me, ive always though that Spurs team was under rated.