PDA

View Full Version : Lakers' Jackson Starts Playoff Posturing Early; NBA to Discuss James' Absences

duncan228
04-13-2010, 07:36 PM
Lakers' Jackson Starts Playoff Posturing Early; NBA to Discuss James' Absences (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/04/13/lakers-jackson-starts-playoff-posturing-early/)
By Sam Amick

For the biggest NBA names and the league's highest-profile teams, this is often the slowest week of the season.

That wasn't the case Tuesday. In the morning at Staples Center, Lakers coach Phil Jackson did his best to ensure that rising star Kevin Durant of Oklahoma City is granted no special treatment by officials in his team's first-round series against the Lakers. In the afternoon in New York, the NBA revealed to Fanhouse that it has its eye on an even bigger star.

Should LeBron James sit out against Atlanta Wednesday as expected, he will have missed the final four games of the regular season despite being healthy. But according to league spokesman Tim Frank, James' absences have prompted a discussion at the highest levels.

"This is a subject we are monitoring, and we plan to discuss the subject at this week's board of governor's meeting (in New York)," Frank said to FanHouse.

The discussions will certainly look at both sides of the matter, as James' tactic serves as one extreme and the plight of fallen Portland guard Brandon Roy the other. The Blazers' star suffered a partially torn meniscus against the Lakers Sunday and would likely miss the playoffs if he opts to have surgery. There is no timetable for his recovery if he does not. The most obvious difference, of course, is that Roy's Blazers had a chance to move up in the standings at the time he was playing while the Cavaliers had locked up the No. 1 seed in the Eastern Conference.

The Lakers have two regular season games left on the schedule, but even their coach on Tuesday said those are virtually meaningless affairs. Kobe Bryant won't play Tuesday against the Kings or Wednesday against the Clippers, as he is resting the right index finger that has an avulsion fracture and the legs that will be needed until June once again if another championship is in store.

The first test will pit the league's longest-reigning megastar in Bryant against its youngest in Durant. With that in mind, Jackson wasted no time laying the psychological groundwork for which he has long been known. Asked whether Durant is atop the league's list of torch bearing talents, Jackson said the league's officials have played a part in the 21-year-old's rise. Let the gamesmanship begin.

"Yeah, by the calls he gets I kind of think that they uh ... he really gets to the line a lot, I tell ya," Jackson said of the third-year player who leads the league in free throw attempts (10.3 per game) and will finish the regular season as the youngest ever to win a scoring title (currently 30.1 points per game). "There (were) a couple plays the last game where I was curious as to how he got (to the line), but he really has a reputation now as one of the hot points in our league. (You) go there, create contact, and hope you get to the line."

While it was unclear whether Jackson was referring to the last Lakers-Thunder matchup (a 91-75 Thunder win on March 26 in which Durant shot seven free throws) or Oklahoma City's last game of any kind (Monday night's 103-95 loss to Portland in which Durant had 10 free throws), the point was certainly clear. If not original.

After Durant made all 15 of his free throws in a win over Boston on March 31, the Celtics' Kevin Garnett said in frustration (video (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/04/01/kevin-garnett-swears-the-officials-treated-kevin-durant-like-mic/)), "I thought we were playing Michael (expletive) Jordan tonight the way he was getting the whistle ... Durant damn near shot more free throws than our whole team."

He was later fined $25,000 by the league for his comments.

Of course Jackson will be the perfect judge of Garnett's theory, having benefited from the Jordan rules while winning six of his all-time high 10 titles during his Bulls tenure (1989 to 1998). He's the ultimate source on another hot topic as well, that of Cleveland's LeBron James and his decision to rest the final four games that caused some controversy in the media (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/04/12/lebron-james-owes-fans-a-refund/).

There is certainly precedent in this realm.

As Jackson pointed out, an incident at the end of the 1989-90 season made it harder in that era for teams to rest players leading into the playoffs. Then-Lakers coach Pat Riley was fined $25,000 on April 25, 1990 for not playing Magic Johnson and James Worthy in the final regular season game. The Lakers were preparing for their first-round series against Houston, and they fell to the Blazers 130-88 in a finale that was the most one-sided Lakers loss in franchise history.

"(There) was a decrease in minutes (for Jordan and other stars late in the season back then)," Jackson said. "But unless (the reason for the player sitting) was something significant, people were asked (by the league) not to sit people out. I think there's a point (there), and a real emphasis that players get around the league so fans have a chance to see them."

FanHouse's Tim Povtak drew a comparison (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/04/12/lebron-james-owes-fans-a-refund/) between James' willingness to sit and Michael Jordan's refusal to do so even when his teams were in a similar spot. But Jackson opted only to compliment his former player while also seeing the logic in James' move.

"Michael was always a person who (thought) people paid a high ticket price to watch me play and I want to perform," Jackson said. "He was great about that. I think that's one of the things that has been great about our stars is that they come out and play.

"There's a fan following. They're watching every game. (There were) a couple times in Michael's career where he was tossed from a ballgame and suspended for the next one, (and) it was a town we only went to one time (during the season). People travel from hundreds of miles to get to this game, and there was quite an (out)cry from the fan core about how the league designates how they do this."

With James, he said, there is a strategic advantage behind the reigning MVP's absences.

"I kind of thought that it played kind out into Cleveland's favor to not showcase everything they have against Orlando (in a loss on Sunday), especially when they know that's their threat (in the Eastern Conference) coming down the stretch," he said. "(You) give him a little bit of rest, and let the team work it out without him ... I think it kind of gives your bench a lot of confidence. You see that (Mo) Williams can play without James on the floor. (He can) kind of carry the ball a little bit and do the things that have to be done for his team."

Jackson has plenty of his own players to be concerned about, as center Andrew Bynum has missed 11 games since his March 19 left Achilles tendon injury. While the Lakers won't practice Thursday, Jackson said Bynum is expected to do individual work before joining the team for practice Friday and Saturday in anticipation of playing in Game 1 against the Thunder.

"It's nice to be able to plan a couple days (for the Thunder)," Jackson said. "We had someone at the game last night watching (Oklahoma City play Portland). They're a very young, athletic team. Speed-wise, they're quick. That's going to be a challenge for us to stay with them. They convert turnovers, get their hands on balls and run out very well in transition. They are a pretty good open floor team. Defensively, I think they've come a long way this year and that has made them get up here in the playoffs."

The question, of course, is whether coach Scott Brooks and his young Thunder can remain composed against the veteran-laden Lakers.

"It all comes down to how much pressure are you able to exert on yourself or deal with the pressure of the playoffs, in need situations," Jackson said. "The game changes."

And the game within the game too.

21_Blessings
04-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Phil just trolling the league like he's supposed to.

The Lakers are going to obliterate OKC then roll through the rest of the pathetic West. See ya in June Orlando/Clevelannd.

TheMACHINE
04-13-2010, 07:50 PM
Phil doing what he does best ;)

D-Wade #3
04-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Phil just trolling the league like he's supposed to.

The Lakers are going to obliterate OKC then roll through the rest of the pathetic West. See ya in June Orlando/Clevelannd.

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/63/l_32a111d590814ada9662805abce219b1.jpg

Only if Bynum becomes mechanical

HarlemHeat37
04-13-2010, 08:51 PM
I don't know why Jackson wastes his time anyways, it's not like the refs aren't going to favor the Lakers anyways..

It should be interesting though..Durant is top 3 in the NBA in favorable calls, but now he's going up against the NBA's official team..I'm guessing the Lakers will get the whistle, as always, safe bet..

Amuseddaysleeper
04-13-2010, 09:39 PM
If a team wraps up their seeding no sense in risking injury on a key player. I don't see anything wrong with James sitting these final games. Fans should know enough that if you buy tickets to games that occur in the last week of the season you may not see who you wanna see depending on the standings.

DPG21920
04-13-2010, 09:41 PM
LA is going to crush OKC.

Baseline
04-13-2010, 10:12 PM
Stern is an embecile. Stern thinks he runs the league, but Phil Jackson opens his mouth for two seconds and whatever he says, goes.

duncan228
04-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Phil Jackson Starts to Work the Officials for the Playoffs (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-philjacksonstartstow)
SportingNews

If you haven’t heard, Kevin Durant is a really good basketball player—almost certainly the top scorer in the NBA this season, in fact, unless LeBron James surprisingly suits up tonight. He also gets to the line a lot, which has upset some of the league’s old guard (http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Baseline/entry/view/61379/kevin_garnett_does_not_approve_of_kevin_durants_su perstar_calls) who think he’s not worthy of that kind of treatment at such a young age.

The Thunder and Lakers are locked into a first-round matchup, and Phil Jackson is starting to talk to the media about it. The first topic of discussion was Durant’s foul shots. From the Los Angeles Times (http://articles.latimes.com/2010/apr/13/sports/la-sp-lakers-fyi-20100414):

"Yeah, by the calls he gets, he really gets to the line a lot, I’ll tell ya," Jackson said Tuesday. "There’s a couple plays in the last game where I was pretty curious how he got there."

Durant leads the NBA in scoring (30.1 points a game) and free-throw attempts (10.3 a game). By comparison, Kobe Bryant’s best season ever in free-throw attempts was 10.2 a game in 2005-06.

Ah yes, the leaguewide conspiracy to make Kevin Durant a star in America’s biggest market, Oklahoma City.

Jackson is the master of the mind, I know, and the purpose here seems to be to send a message to officials that the playoffs aren’t the regular season, and that Durant needs to prove himself in the postseason to get true superstar treatment.

It’s a decent point, I suppose, except for the fact that Durant gets to the line so much because he seeks out contact and has a, well, Kobe-esque ability to goad defenders into fouling him on that sweep-through move on his jumpers. Durant gets to the line because he deserves to, not because referees think he’s a nice boy.

Don’t fall for Phil’s mind games, referees. That’s an old-school way of looking at things based on initiation rites, not talent. Call fouls on Durant based on the fact that they’re fouls, not because he needs to learn the facts of playoff basketball.

duncan228
04-14-2010, 03:39 PM
Updated.

Stern: NBA will discuss issue of resting players (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-stern-restingplayers)
By Brian Mahoney

Players resting at the end of the regular season will be discussed among NBA executives, though commissioner David Stern doesn’t see anything coming of it.

With a healthy LeBron James set to miss his fourth straight game Wednesday night, Stern said he is putting the matter on the agenda for the board of governors meetings Thursday and Friday in New York.

“We’re troubled by it, because it would be our preference that healthy players play,” the commissioner said during his annual pre-playoffs conference call.

“But sometimes players play at different levels of being nicked or bruised and we never wanted to get into the business of sending out truckloads of doctors analyzing whether a player was actually nicked or bruised, and we understand the issue.”

However, it sounds as if it will be left up to the teams to decide if they want their stars playing in meaningless games at the end of the regular season.

“I think it’s a fair item for discussion,” Stern said. “I’m not sure that the policing function is something that the league and the owners will want to get deeply involved in, but it’s a point and I’ll be expressing my views to the governors in the executive session.”

Stern added he will talk to the Chicago Bulls’ representative to the board to get a better idea of what happened between coach Vinny Del Negro and vice president John Paxson. Yahoo! Sports reported Tuesday that Paxson shoved Del Negro twice in the chest and had to be restrained in a confrontation over Joakim Noah’s minutes after a March 30 home game against Phoenix.

“If it happened—if it happened—it’s not something that should and we’ll be talking to Chicago about that,” said Stern, who couldn’t predict if there would be any league punishment.

“I don’t have our entire list of what we’ve done, but my guess is over the years we have taken action of some kind if teams engage in conduct that’s detrimental to the league,” Stern said. “I want to understand better, exactly how detrimental this was and what actually occurred.”

Stern watched as the issue of healthy players sitting out was debated at the end of last season’s NFL regular season. The NFL is now trying to schedule as many division games as possible in the final two weeks of the 2010 season in hopes of more meaningful contests that will eliminate the issue.

Now Stern’s league has to decide if it faces the same problem.

The Cavaliers haven’t played James since clinching the NBA’s best record and home-court advantage throughout the playoffs. While fans in Atlanta, where Cleveland plays Wednesday, would likely prefer to see the league’s MVP, the Cavs have plenty of reason not to play him.

Boston’s title defense was ruined last year when Kevin Garnett missed the postseason, and late-season injuries this season to Milwaukee’s Andrew Bogut and Portland’s Brandon Roy will hurt their playoff chances.

“We watch and look at the risks of always playing, like a Brandon Roy, who did play on Sunday and was injured,” Stern said. “But our inclination is that this is a matter of the teams to look at and look their fans in the face. To look their competitive colleagues in the face, and make, hopefully, the right decision.”

Ghazi
04-14-2010, 03:42 PM
lmao @ 21_blessings fake confidence.

ROFL 5.7/3.8 for your hero :lmao

ambchang
04-14-2010, 03:59 PM
I don't blame him, KFC knows that he has only won on teams that the league loves.

nkdlunch
04-14-2010, 04:07 PM
the refs have already taken note. They ejected evans for nothing after Kings took the lead over Lakers in 3rd quarter last night.

jag
04-14-2010, 04:21 PM
The league can't and shouldn't monitor how teams decide to rest or play their players.

It's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

The Cougar
04-14-2010, 04:23 PM
if they don't want James to rest, call the games fair and maybe they won't be so far ahead in the standings

nkdlunch
04-14-2010, 04:23 PM
The league can't and shouldn't monitor how teams decide to rest or play their players.

It's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

well the league could do something. The season is too long and many games meaningless. If season was shorter, games would mean a whole lot more and nobody could affort to rest players.

jag
04-14-2010, 04:43 PM
well the league could do something. The season is too long and many games meaningless. If season was shorter, games would mean a whole lot more and nobody could affort to rest players.

Shorter season = loss in revenue

I don't see any reason the league would consider the idea. They aren't going to actually do anything about this, they just want the fans to think they're "looking into it."

Flux451
04-14-2010, 06:12 PM
he gets a lot of fouls cuz he is so skinny, any minute touch temporarily dislocates his appendages.

Glassman. Was that Augmon's nickname?

PGDynasty24
04-14-2010, 07:09 PM
the refs have already taken note. They ejected evans for nothing after Kings took the lead over Lakers in 3rd quarter last night.

that was weird.....Tyreke didn't even seemed surprised that he got ejected,seemed like he knew it was coming. He must said something really bad to piss ref off so much,probably said "I'm going to fuck your mother or something",because I haven't seen a ejection that quick since Gary Payton was on Lakers and we played Mavs and Salvatore tossed him for nothing