PDA

View Full Version : Canseco Will Be Ciro's Bitch

Nbadan
04-13-2010, 10:56 PM
Book it!

...that anti-health-care, take back the govt. bull shit ain't gonna work with mexicans....

BOCA RATON, Fla. — Democratic state Sen. Ted Deutch has handily won the first U.S. House race since Congress passed President Barack Obama's massive health care overhaul.

With 43 percent of precincts reporting, Mr. Deutch had 62 percent of the vote compared to 36 percent for Republican Ed Lynch late Tuesday.

The Associated Press called the race about two hours after polls closed.

The 44-year-old Mr. Deutch had faced underdog Lynch in the special election to replace retiring Democratic U.S. Rep. Robert Wexler.

Lynch sought to make the race a referendum on the health care bill in District 19, where about 40 percent of voters are senior citizens. But he had a difficult task — Democrats outnumber Republicans in the South Florida district by more than two-to-one.

WSJ (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303695604575182761256978240.html?m od=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsTop)

So much for Massachusetts! :lol

TeyshaBlue
04-14-2010, 09:18 AM
Book it!

...that anti-health-care, take back the govt. bull shit ain't gonna work with mexicans....

WSJ (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303695604575182761256978240.html?m od=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsTop)

So much for Massachusetts! :lol

So a Democratic senator was elected in a district whose constituents represent 38% of the senior population of Florida who, with a 2:1 Democratic majority, voted overwhelmingly for Obama. meh.
Funny you would try to compare this to Massachusetts, but I can see where someone with the apparent inability to think critically would prop that up.

*hint* compare independant voter populations, young padawan. :rolleyes

George Gervin's Afro
04-14-2010, 09:43 AM
So a Democratic senator was elected in a district whose constituents represent 38% of the senior population of Florida who, with a 2:1 Democratic majority, voted overwhelmingly for Obama. meh.
Funny you would try to compare this to Massachusetts, but I can see where someone with the apparent inability to think critically would prop that up.

*hint* compare independant voter populations, young padawan. :rolleyes

With all due respect the dead enders have claimed any election post Obama has been an indictment on his policies.. so in a way I agree with Dan.. if you are going to state that all elections are about Obama then you would have to admit the same here... Of course this would take an ounce of intellectual integrity and you would have to acknowledge this election as supportive of his policies....but as you know many dead enders don't have this trait so expect to hear crickets..

doobs
04-14-2010, 09:52 AM
"Lynch sought to make the race a referendum on the health care bill in District 19, where about 40 percent of voters are senior citizens. But he had a difficult task — Democrats outnumber Republicans in the South Florida district by more than two-to-one."

You bolded that, but I'm not sure why. It destroys your argument that this is somehow significant.

TeyshaBlue
04-14-2010, 10:01 AM
With all due respect the dead enders have claimed any election post Obama has been an indictment on his policies.. so in a way I agree with Dan.. if you are going to state that all elections are about Obama then you would have to admit the same here... Of course this would take an ounce of intellectual integrity and you would have to acknowledge this election as supportive of his policies....but as you know many dead enders don't have this trait so expect to hear crickets..

The two populations share something in common. Both voted Democratic for eons prior to their most recent election. And I readily admit that the election was an overwhelming endoresment of Obama which I found completely, and profoundly, normal. Should I post a congratulatory post when KBH wins her seat again? (Which she will, damnit.)

TeyshaBlue
04-14-2010, 10:02 AM
It was dan's mindless comparison to NH that got my attention.

TeyshaBlue
04-14-2010, 10:03 AM
"Lynch sought to make the race a referendum on the health care bill in District 19, where about 40 percent of voters are senior citizens. But he had a difficult task — Democrats outnumber Republicans in the South Florida district by more than two-to-one."

You bolded that, but I'm not sure why. It destroys your argument that this is somehow significant.

He grenades his own arguments alot. :lol

George Gervin's Afro
04-14-2010, 10:25 AM
The two populations share something in common. Both voted Democratic for eons prior to their most recent election. And I readily admit that the election was an overwhelming endoresment of Obama which I found completely, and profoundly, normal. Should I post a congratulatory post when KBH wins her seat again? (Which she will, damnit.)

I am ok with KBH. I'm just glad we don't have two Cornyns representing TX.

panic giraffe
04-14-2010, 10:34 AM
what do the two senators have to do with this congressional race?

Yes texas as a whole is still largely in the red, however, all the major metro areas are heavily blue (the exception being fort worth, but that's not like a real city), so to think that a repub would really have a chance within city limits is crazy. Of course Ciro is going to win.

TeyshaBlue
04-14-2010, 11:24 AM
I am ok with KBH. I'm just glad we don't have two Cornyns representing TX.
Can't argue that...'cept I'm just not a KBH fan.
:toast

TeyshaBlue
04-14-2010, 11:26 AM
Yes texas as a whole is still largely in the red, however, all the major metro areas are heavily blue (the exception being fort worth, but that's not like a real city)

:wakeup
"Fort Worth is the seventeenth-largest city in the United States of America and the fifth-largest city within the state of Texas."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Worth,_Texas

EVAY
04-14-2010, 02:25 PM

Pretty much sums it up for a lot of us, doesn't it?

EVAY
04-14-2010, 02:32 PM
what do the two senators have to do with this congressional race?

Yes texas as a whole is still largely in the red, however, all the major metro areas are heavily blue (the exception being fort worth, but that's not like a real city), so to think that a repub would really have a chance within city limits is crazy. Of course Ciro is going to win.

I would have thought that Ciro could be vulnerable within the city, but that district is drawn in such a way that it reaches out way west towards El Paso, with this completely odd shape that includes so much rural territory that I think that is where his strength comes from. I think San Antonio money politics is quite conservative. This could be a big test of the power of the Tea Party and the SCOTUS ruling on business spending in elections.

EVAY
04-14-2010, 02:34 PM

I'm not really a KBH fan either, but I find myself voting for her because the Democrats put up some really poor candidates. But I do like KBH more than I like Cornyn. I just think he is an idealogue.

TeyshaBlue
04-14-2010, 03:03 PM
I'm not really a KBH fan either, but I find myself voting for her because the Democrats put up some really poor candidates. But I do like KBH more than I like Cornyn. I just think he is an idealogue.

I know..I hate picking between lesser evils. Cornyn can simply go away as far as I'm concerned.

EVAY
04-14-2010, 05:04 PM
I know..I hate picking between lesser evils. Cornyn can simply go away as far as I'm concerned.

From your lips to god's ears. Don't see it happening though.

I would really love to think that libertarians or some moderate third party could get a foothold in Texas, but I fear that my vote doesn't count for much.