View Full Version : RIP Colonel

Nbadan
05-05-2005, 01:13 PM
David Hackworth, Vietnam vet and military analyst, dies at 74
David Hackworth, Vietnam vet and military analyst, dies at 74
By MATT APUZZO
Associated Press Writer
May 5, 2005, 1:12 PM EDT

HARTFORD, Conn. -- Retired Army Col. David Hackworth, a decorated Vietnam veteran who spoke out against the war and later became a journalist and an advocate for military reform, died Wednesday in Mexico, where he was receiving treatment for bladder cancer, his wife said. He was 74.

"He died in my arms yesterday morning," his wife, Eilhys England, said Thursday.

Hackworth, a syndicated columnist for King Features, advocated a streamlined military and improved conditions for troops.

"Hack never lost his focus," said Roger Charles, president of Soldiers for the Truth, a California-based veterans group for which Hackworth served as chairman. "That focus was on the young kids that our country sends to bleed and die on our behalf. Everything he did in his retirement was to try to give them a better chance to win and to come home. That's one hell of a legacy."

Newsday (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/connecticut/ny-bc-ct--obit-hackworth0505may05,0,3570135,print.story?coll=ny-region-apconnecticut)

America lost a true patriot today and the troops lost a good friend

exstatic
05-05-2005, 02:26 PM
Hackworth is a shitbag. He was never about being a friend to the troops. He was about attacking the military structure. His career wasn't all he had hoped it would be, probably because he spent a large portion of the VN conflict "leading" his men via radio, while ensconced in a Saigon hotel with a hooker or three. That type of behavior usually leads to a career that tops out at the O-6 level, leaving you short of flag rank.

"He died in my arms yesterday morning," his wife, Eilhys England, said Thursday.
I hope she had her shots, or has antibiotics handy.

Clandestino
05-05-2005, 05:49 PM
wow, i agree with ex on something...

CommanderMcBragg
05-05-2005, 06:54 PM
RIP Sir!

He shit bigger than you guys.

Clandestino
05-05-2005, 06:56 PM
RIP Sir!

He shit bigger than you guys.

:rolleyes

CommanderMcBragg
05-05-2005, 06:58 PM
That's what I thought.

And you all cry about Kerry yet you are bad mouthing a decorated Veteran.

Real classy.

Clandestino
05-05-2005, 07:05 PM
decorations mean shit when you come back and spew bullshit.

exstatic
05-05-2005, 08:27 PM
That's what I thought.

And you all cry about Kerry yet you are bad mouthing a decorated Veteran.

Real classy.

He was a shitbag. You had your shots at JK. Please allow me the same privilege. I was in the military, used to read the AF Times weekly, and this guy has nothing to do with the common soldier. He was so officer elitist it made me vomit. He thought that O's shouldn't have to be drug tested because they were gentlemen. What a load of manure. Then, there's the whole VN, hooker, hotel thing.

AFE7FATMAN
05-07-2005, 12:12 AM
Exstatic: You have some valid points.
However, The VN and Hotel/Hooker thing you don't understand.

Hack pushed a lot of buttons he should have left alone.

i.e. no star.
i.e "BIG BALLS in COW TOWN" as a correspondent for Newsweek and a syndicated columnist.

In Italy, as a Private he once told Gen Eisenhower "The Chow Stinks"
The man was not a shitbag-

He was an Officer elitist with a Big Fing soft spot for the enlisted Grunt.

He did a hell of a lot more good than damage - Can we all say that when we die??
I spent 23 years and retired from the military.

Hack served his Country for "25" TWENTY-FIVE YEARS

I'll leave you with a " " from HACK

"Most combat vets pick their fights carefully.
They look at their scars, remember the madness and are always mindful of the fallout, That's not the case in Washington
where the White House and the Pentagon are run by civilians that have never sweated it out on a battlefield."

1700 dead in Iraq