PDA

View Full Version : Spurs at Mavs Previews

duncan228
04-13-2010, 11:35 PM
Mavericks hope to build on momentum in regular-season finale (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/041410dnspomavslede.40027a1.html)
By Eddie Sefko / The Dallas Morning News

The Mavericks are one of the smartest teams in the NBA, thanks largely to Jason Kidd, but when it comes to finishing out the regular season tonight, there's one thing they cannot do.

Don't over think it.

They very well could be seeing their first-round opponent when San Antonio steps on the floor at American Airlines Center. At least, part of their first-round opponent, given that Spurs' coach Gregg Popovich has been known to sit his heavy lifters in situations like this.

But for the Mavericks, they have been on such an impressive run lately, the last thing they want to do is change anything.

Oh, maybe the minutes get a little shorter for Kidd and Dirk Nowitzki. But beyond that, they would like nothing better than to finish the season on a five-game winning streak and head into the playoffs with a mountain of momentum.

Since San Antonio is the most likely first-round playoff opponent, neither team is likely to show much in the way of strategy. The Mavericks would like to win it, with a minimum of players logging heavy minutes.

But no matter what, they like where they're at.

"Where we want to be defensively, offensively and the mental part, we're right there," Kidd said. "Dress rehearsal is almost over now. This is the real deal. We took care of business and did what we had to do. Now we got to find a way to win four games against whoever we play."

That remains in question going into the last day of the regular season, although a Mavericks win tonight ensures it would be the Spurs in the first round, starting either Saturday or Sunday.

"There's a lot of history there, if that's the case," Kidd said.

It would be the third time in the last five postseasons the teams have met.

Of more importance to the Mavericks is that they have their heads on straight now after reinventing themselves midstream with a blockbuster trade.

They went 3-0 on the final road trip of the season.

"Our goal the last few games was the No. 2 seed," Nowitzki said. "We won at Portland against a team that we hadn't beaten all season, so that was a nice win for us, then we really came out firing at Sacramento and LA. Now we [finish it up] and we really want to get that No. 2 seed."

Nowitzki was just as impressed with the way the Mavericks came out and smoked lesser teams like the Kings and Clippers as he was with the alley fight they won at Portland.

"Everybody's been focused and starting the games off well, which has been most of our problems," he said. "I think everybody's ready for a fun playoff run. We're a deep team. We're a good team and hopefully we'll stay healthy."

Barkley weighs in: During a TNT teleconference Tuesday, Charles Barkley had this to say about the Mavericks:

"Dallas to me is the wild card. I thought they would come in second because of the schedule, but if they lost to Phoenix, Utah or San Antonio, you can't say [you're shocked].

"We'd all be shocked if the Lakers didn't get to the Finals, but as far as those other teams, I think they are all good, solid teams. It's going to be fun."

San Antonio Spurs at Dallas Mavericks preview (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/041410dnspomavscap.4004424.html)
Eddie Sefko

Scouting the Spurs

They have won their last two, including a 133-111 demolition of Minnesota in which no Spurs starter played more than 23 minutes and all 12 players saw at least 12 minutes of playing time. In other words, don't expect to see much more than a cameo from Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili tonight. ... Their win Monday was their 50th of the season, extending their streak of 50-win seasons to 11, the second longest streak in league history behind the Lakers, who won 50 12 times in a row from 1979 to 1991. ... The Spurs rely heavily on their bench, which leads the league in scoring at 39 points per game. ... George Hill returned Monday after missing four games with an ankle injury, scoring six points and dishing out three assists while starting ahead of Tony Parker.

Scouting the Mavericks

They will be trying to win their 55th game of the season, which would be their most since 2006-07 and tied for sixth most in franchise history. ... On the 3-0 road trip, Dirk Nowitzki averaged 34.7 points and Jason Kidd averaged 8.3 points, 10.3 assists and 7.3 rebounds. ... Opponents shot .433 on the trip. ... While the Spurs have a strong bench, so do the Mavericks. The reserves have accounted for 92 points in the last two games, both blowouts. ... Erick Dampier continues to start at center, but coach Rick Carlisle has said he reserves the right to juggle Dampier and Brendan Haywood in and out of the lineup.

manu the best
04-13-2010, 11:53 PM
.. kill dallas .. GO SPURS GO

gospursgojas
04-14-2010, 12:26 AM
Don't get all bent outt shape if the spurs lose this one. Pop won't show the mavs everything tomorrow night being that there's a 99.7 % chance we play them.

duncan228
04-14-2010, 01:20 AM
San Antonio (50-31) at Dallas (54-27) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2010041406)
Game info: 8:00 pm EDT Wed Apr 14, 2010
TV: FSSW, KTXA
By Chris Altruda

For a coach whose team can be the No. 2 seed in the Western Conference, Rick Carlisle wants more from his Dallas Mavericks.

The Mavericks try to stave off Phoenix and Utah for the spot that guarantees home-court advantage through two rounds Wednesday night when they close their season against the San Antonio Spurs.

Dallas (54-27) has already clinched the Southwest Division, which guarantees it home-court advantage for at least the first round. The Mavericks lead both the Suns and the Jazz by one game, but they only hold a tiebreaker over the Suns, which leaves Dallas at risk for slipping to third with a loss to San Antonio and a victory by Utah over Phoenix.

This game likely will serve as a potential first-round preview since a Mavericks victory would relegate the Spurs (50-31) to the seventh seed. Dallas has won four straight and seven of nine after a 117-94 rout of the Clippers on Monday capped a sweep of its three-game road trip, but Carlisle thinks his team still has work to do before being confident about its playoff chances.

“I am not sure if our team is where it needs to be for the playoffs,” the coach said. “We came here tonight wanting and needing to win. Our team wants that second spot in the playoffs. We need to work on our rebounding if we want to play great basketball. We need to take positive steps to get good results. We have better players, I know we can get far if we play together.”

Star forward Dirk Nowitzki, though, appears to already be in playoff mode. He scored 25 points in the win over the Clippers and is averaging 30.3 points and 8.5 rebounds his last eight games while shooting 50 percent overall and 70 percent (14 for 20) from 3-point range. Nowitzki also has made a franchise-record 72 consecutive free throws heading into this game.

While the Mavericks have multiple scenarios that can place them second or third in the West, the Spurs (50-31) will finish either sixth or seventh. San Antonio needs a win and a loss by Portland to Golden State to claim the No. 6 seed.

The Spurs have won six of eight heading into this game and ripped lowly Minnesota 133-111 on Monday to clinch their 11th straight 50-win season. Eight players scored in double figures, all 12 scored at least four points and no Spurs player logged more than 25 minutes, leaving them well-rested for this game.

Coach Gregg Popovich’s team seems unfazed by starting the postseason on the road given the lack of separation among the eight playoff-bound teams. The top-seeded Lakers have 57 victories heading into their finale, while eighth-seeded Oklahoma City has a chance for win No. 50 on Wednesday.

“As much as people say we had a bad season, the race is still close,” Spurs guard George Hill said. “It’s just a couple games away from other people. I think we’re ready to battle anybody in the West.”

Dallas has won the last two games between the teams, including a 112-103 victory Jan. 8 at San Antonio as Nowitzki overcame a slow start to score 16 of his 26 points in the fourth quarter and rally the Mavericks from a 10-point deficit in the final period.

Team Stat Leaders

Dirk Nowitzki Dal 25.1

Rebounds
Tim Duncan SA 10.1
Brendan Haywood Dal 9.2

Assists
Tony Parker SA 5.7
Jason Kidd Dal 9.1

polandprzem
04-14-2010, 02:23 AM
It's intresting if we win that last game of a season Dallas will only have 3 wins more, and so many people were saying about spurs disastrous year.

still I would like to avoid Dallas - the matchups are bad and Carlisle knows how to exploit them.

If Tony will be able to lead the second unit it might get intrested. Nobody ever played spurs with Tony as a guy from the bench.

polandprzem
04-14-2010, 02:23 AM
:tu d228

Riverwalkman
04-14-2010, 03:26 AM
When is the game start? I haven't login for a long time...I was shocked when I saw Finley left the team.

polandprzem
04-14-2010, 03:32 AM
When is the game start? I haven't login for a long time...I was shocked when I saw Finley left the team.

:lol

Riverwalkman
04-14-2010, 03:49 AM
Wow is it the last game of the season? And according to the ranking...the game is meaningless, and the postseason opponent will be... Mavs!? OMG..., even though I missed almost the entire regular season, overal, the situation is getting worse whether you admit or not.

:depressed

Are Spurs fans getting impatient or compromised? Personally I'm disappointed and I feel like our era is gone anyway.:toast

jason1301
04-14-2010, 04:37 AM
It's intresting if we win that last game of a season Dallas will only have 3 wins more, and so many people were saying about spurs disastrous year.

still I would like to avoid Dallas - the matchups are bad and Carlisle knows how to exploit them.

If Tony will be able to lead the second unit it might get intrested. Nobody ever played spurs with Tony as a guy from the bench.

summer of 2005 in French NT, TP who was originally a starter ended up on the bench and that was when the team turned the corner and player the BEST basketball in Europe. Eventually they lost to Greece in the semifinals after holding a 7pt lead and about 40sec to go, what a game!

edit----

I am not correcting anyone... as my post my suggest. I am just pointing out that the last time TP was a guy from the bench it really worked.

ManuTastic
04-14-2010, 06:12 AM
My guess: Pop will sit TD and Manu and Dice, maybe play Tony and Hill just to help them chip off some rust.

shelshor
04-14-2010, 08:47 AM
Referee Assignments
Wed. Apr 14
San Antonio @ Dallas: Tom Washington; Mark Ayotte; James Capers

duncan228
04-14-2010, 03:46 PM
San Antonio Spurs (50-31) at Dallas Mavericks (54-27) (http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/14/1578828/san-antonio-spurs-50-31-at-dallas.html)

The Dallas Mavericks can lock up the No. 2 seed in the Western Conference with a victory at home tonight against their longtime rival, the San Antonio Spurs.

Dallas is a game ahead of Utah and Phoenix for the second spot in the conference and has won four in a row, including Monday's 117-94 victory over the Los Angeles Clippers at Staples Center in the finale of a perfect three- game road trip. Dirk Nowitzki scored 25 points and Jason Kidd added 12 points and 12 assists for the Southwest Division-champion Mavs, who can send the Spurs to the seventh seed with a loss Wednesday.

"Dirk is playing great, offensively and defensively," Dallas coach Rick Carlisle said. "We're going to need everyone playing great in the playoffs."

Shawn Marion, who missed the previous three games with a strained left oblique, scored 21 points in the victory. The Mavericks will put their 27-13 home record on the line tonight. Guard Caron Butler is questionable versus San Antonio with a strained right hip flexor.

The Spurs have won two in a row and six of their last eight games, and are coming off Monday's 133-111 victory over the Minnesota Timberwolves at the AT&T Center. Keith Bogans hit five of San Antonio's 14 three-pointers for a team-high 17 points and Tim Duncan posted 16 points and six rebounds.

"This was a game that we needed to come out and take care of business and execute," San Antonio's Roger Mason said. "We did that so now we have to get ready for Dallas."

Malik Hairston and Ian Mahinmi each scored 14 points off the bench for the Spurs, who have gone 19-8 in the last 27 games and are headed to the playoffs for a 13th consecutive year. San Antonio also recorded its 50th win for the 11th season in a row, becoming just the second team in NBA history to accomplish the feat. The Los Angeles Lakers totaled 50-plus wins in 12 consecutive seasons from 1979-80 to 1990-91, which is the longest streak in NBA history.

San Antonio has won 12 straight against Minnesota and will wrap up its road schedule tonight. It is 21-19 as the guest. Center Antonio McDyess (rest) is listed as questionable for Wednesday's game.

Dallas has won two of three matchups with San Antonio this season. The Spurs have dropped two straight and four of six contests in Big D.

bigfan
04-14-2010, 04:03 PM
My guess: Pop will sit TD and Manu and Dice, maybe play Tony and Hill just to help them chip off some rust.

I hope your guess is exactly right. This is pretty much a meaningless game, no need to play TD, Manu or Dice and I agree limited minutes for Hill and TP. This would be a good game to showcase the skills of Blair, Temple, Gee, Boner, Tahini and (soon to be) ex-Spurs Mason and Hairston

nkdlunch
04-14-2010, 04:06 PM
Ian will play a few minutes tonight

easy7
04-14-2010, 04:57 PM
Dallas is right now between the hammer and the anvil...

DesignatedT
04-14-2010, 05:04 PM
pop wont show to much tonight.

ohmwrecker
04-14-2010, 06:33 PM
Wow is it the last game of the season? And according to the ranking...the game is meaningless, and the postseason opponent will be... Mavs!? OMG..., even though I missed almost the entire regular season, overal, the situation is getting worse whether you admit or not.

:depressed

Are Spurs fans getting impatient or compromised? Personally I'm disappointed and I feel like our era is gone anyway.:toast

Go fuck yourself.