PDA

View Full Version : Who has the tie breaker?

mfanatic
04-14-2010, 12:15 AM
Between Dallas, Suns, Denver and Utah?

If we beat Dallas tomorrow, (Butler isn't playing), and the rest win out, who gets the second seed?

Findog
04-14-2010, 12:17 AM
If Dallas loses and Utah beats Phoenix, Utah is the second seed.
If Dallas and Utah both lose, Dallas is the second seed.
If Dallas wins, Dallas is the second seed, regardless of what Utah does.

Findog
04-14-2010, 12:18 AM
For San Antonio to move up to 6, they need to beat Dallas and Golden State needs to beat Portland. I wonder if San Antonio will try tomorrow night knowing that it is unlikely they will get help from the Warriors. A Spurs loss tomorrow night locks in a Dallas/San Antonio 2/7 matchup.

mfanatic
04-14-2010, 12:19 AM
thank you

Findog
04-14-2010, 12:20 AM
The Spurs could play for the right to avoid Dallas. Utah is likely to beat Phoenix at home on the 2nd night of a b2b for both teams. San Antonio and Utah both winning tomorrow night sets up a Jazz/Spurs 2/7 matchup I think.

pawe
04-14-2010, 12:24 AM
Thank you for making it more clearer. This is more confusing than my taxes.

alchemist
04-14-2010, 12:27 AM
very interesting turn of events

the Jizz lost Boozer, he's banged up now...he's been a monster against the Spurs this season. They have zero motivation to play the Spurs now, the Mavs/Spurs game should be wrapping up by the time the Jazz/Suns game starts. I'll think they'll tank to avoid the Spurs and play Portland or Denver (If the Spurs are in range of winning tomorrow)

mfanatic
04-14-2010, 12:27 AM
Lets go I am down for the jazz! + not Boozer, cracked ribs !!

Jeremy
04-14-2010, 12:33 AM
Between Dallas, Suns, Denver and Utah?

If we beat Dallas tomorrow, (Butler isn't playing), and the rest win out, who gets the second seed?

As noted above, the second seed is only between Dallas and Utah, since Denver has no more games left and can't tie Dallas and the Suns lose the tiebreaker to Dallas.

Findog
04-14-2010, 12:34 AM
Locked in:

1. LAL
8. Zombie Sonics

2-5:

San Antonio beats Dallas, Utah beats Phoenix: 2) Utah 3) Dallas 4) Phoenix 5) Denver

Dallas beats San Antonio, Utah beats Phoenix: 2) Dallas 3) Utah 4) Phoenix 5) Denver

Dallas beats San Antonio, Phoenix beats Utah: 2) Dallas 3) Phoenix 4) Denver 5) Utah

San Antonio beats Dallas, Phoenix beats Utah: 2) Dallas 3) Phoenix 4) Denver 5) Utah

6-7:

San Antonio beats Dallas, Golden State beats Portland: 6) San Antonio 7) Portland

San Antonio beats Dallas, Portland beats Golden State: 6) Portland 7) San Antonio

Dallas beats San Antonio, Port-GS irrelevant: 6) Portland 7) San Antonio

I think that is right.

Jeremy
04-14-2010, 12:35 AM
Looks right to me. Which means Utah will be more motivated than the Suns. Jazz probably win.

Findog
04-14-2010, 12:37 AM
Looks right to me. Which means Utah will be more motivated than the Suns. Jazz probably win.

Phoenix has a chance to get the 3 seed and play the Blazers. In fact, if I read that correctly, a win over Utah clinches them the 3 spot and the other side of the bracket away from the Lakers, regardless of what happens between Dallas and San Antonio.

Darthkiller
04-14-2010, 12:37 AM
suns should tank the game tomorrow so they can face the nuggets

Findog
04-14-2010, 12:38 AM
suns should tank the game tomorrow so they can face the nuggets

They're better off getting a 3/6 matchup with a Roy-less Blazers team and being on the non-Lakers side of the bracket.

JMarkJohns
04-14-2010, 12:40 AM
If Dallas loses and Utah beats Phoenix, Utah is the second seed.
If Dallas and Utah both lose, Dallas is the second seed.
If Dallas wins, Dallas is the second seed, regardless of what Utah does.

So then can Phoenix, with a win over Utah and a Dallas loss claim the #2 seed still?

Either way, I want homecourt vs. Denver in the 1st round, which is what they have. They aren't advancing past the second round no matter the matchup, so I don't care about avoiding the Lakers in the 2nd should they beat the Nuggets in the 1st. Nuggets are the best matchup for the Suns. They are a bad fourth quarter from sweeping them this season.

Jeremy
04-14-2010, 12:41 AM
Phoenix has a chance to get the 3 seed and play the Blazers. In fact, if I read that correctly, a win over Utah clinches them the 3 spot and the other side of the bracket away from the Lakers, regardless of what happens between Dallas and San Antonio.

I know, that's true, but we might rather play the Nuggets than the Blazers even, and it could be the Spurs instead of Blazers (of course that might be known by the start of the Suns-Jazz game). Plus, we already have home court advantage locked up, and Jazz are still trying to secure home court advantage and are also trying to avoid the Lakers bracket (and may still have a shot at the 2 seed).

By the way, the Suns lost to the Blazers without Roy earlier this year (when we had several days of rest), and that was with Robin Lopez healthy!

Findog
04-14-2010, 12:41 AM
So then can Phoenix, with a win over Utah and a Dallas loss claim the #2 seed still?

Nope. In that event, both teams finish 54-28. Dallas won the season series 2-1 and priority is given to the division winner (Dallas in this case, whereas Phoenix did not win the Pacific).

NBAdime
04-14-2010, 12:49 AM
I'm confident about a Spurs- Mavs match up, I think the Spurs are playing great. I would also love for the Nuggets to play the Suns. I'd love for the Suns to go far.

Jeremy
04-14-2010, 12:51 AM
By the way, the Suns lost to the Blazers without Roy earlier this year (when we had several days of rest), and that was with Robin Lopez healthy!

Just looked it up and here are the gory details for anyone interested:

It was February 10 (after we had started playing better again), the last game before the All-Star break, and we had had 5 days of rest.

It was at home, Blazers were without Roy and did not have Camby yet, and they still beat us 108-101. They beat us 2-1 overall this season.

We did, however, beat them March 21 at home 93-87 with Roy and Camby playing, and Lopez playing for the Suns. But Lopez has been ruled out for the first round by Gentry: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2010/04/13/20100413phoenix-suns-robin-lopez.html

NBAdime
04-14-2010, 12:55 AM
Just looked it up and here are the gory details for anyone interested:

It was February 10 (after we had started playing better again), the last game before the All-Star break, and we had had 5 days of rest.

It was at home, Blazers were without Roy and did not have Camby yet, and they still beat us 108-101. They beat us 2-1 overall this season.

We did, however, beat them March 21 at home 93-87 with Roy and Camby playing, and Lopez playing for the Suns. But Lopez has been ruled out for the first round by Gentry: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2010/04/13/20100413phoenix-suns-robin-lopez.html
I was at that feb. Game. Suns played lazy ball with stupid shot selections. The blazers aren't a worry for the Suns. Mavs, lakers, oklahoma maybe but not the Blazers.

Jeremy
04-14-2010, 01:00 AM
I hope you're right, but I think I would rather play the Nuggets. Of course it would be nice to get out of the Lakers bracket.

Biggems
04-14-2010, 01:14 AM
what is best for the NBA ratings would be

LA vs OKC
Utah vs SA
Dal vs Port
PHX vs Den

LA vs PHX
Dal vs SA

LA vs SA

PHX vs Dal would be great, as would PHX vs SA. Dal vs LA wouldnt be as good as the other 3 scenarios, ratingswise.

LA vs SA would has so much history and drama this decade that it would draw out the ass....same with SA and PHX

Fpoonsie
04-14-2010, 01:15 AM
Fin...you think the Spurs might actually sit his starters?

I'm tryin to figure out whether or not to even GO to the AAC tomorrow.

Andrew Bynum
04-14-2010, 01:16 AM

Just stay home and eat a burrito.

Findog
04-14-2010, 01:18 AM

CIA Pop, don't ask me. I'd go to the game, there's usually some sort of giveaway on Fan Appreciation night. Spurs can't expect the Warriors to help them get the sixth seed, but they do have a say tomorrow night in who they play - beating Dallas and Utah beating Phoenix gets them a first-round date with the Jazz. Just depends on who they would rather play - I'm guessing Dallas. The Jazz are dominant at home.

Findog
04-14-2010, 01:24 AM
Psychologically, you don't want to play to win the game (to avoid playing Dallas) and then lose anyways and get a date with the Mavs. I don't see the Spurs beating the Jazz w/o HCA. Of course that depends on Boozer's status - suddenly the Jazz would become a more enticing matchup without him.

Fpoonsie
04-14-2010, 01:25 AM
Just stay home and eat a burrito.

Tempting...

CIA Pop, don't ask me. I'd go to the game, there's usually some sort of giveaway on Fan Appreciation night. Spurs can't expect the Warriors to help them get the sixth seed, but they do have a say tomorrow night in who they play - beating Dallas and Utah beating Phoenix gets them a first-round date with the Jazz. Just depends on who they would rather play - I'm guessing Dallas. The Jazz are dominant at home.

And Dallas is seemingly dominant wherever they play the Spurs. I can't imagine they'd prefer the Jazz, regardless of their woeful regular season record against them.

I'll prolly go, I guess.

Fpoonsie
04-14-2010, 01:26 AM
Of course that depends on Boozer's status - suddenly the Jazz would become a more enticing matchup without him.

And then there's that...

Findog
04-14-2010, 01:26 AM
Tempting...

And Dallas is seemingly dominant wherever they play the Spurs. I can't imagine they'd prefer the Jazz, regardless of their woeful regular season record against them.

I'll prolly go, I guess.

It's much easier to win a game in Dallas than it is in Salt Lake City. Utah plays 11 points better at home than on the road against winning teams.

Findog
04-14-2010, 10:31 AM
Locked in:

1. LAL
8. Zombie Sonics

2-5:

San Antonio beats Dallas, Utah beats Phoenix: 2) Utah 3) Dallas 4) Phoenix 5) Denver

Dallas beats San Antonio, Utah beats Phoenix: 2) Dallas 3) Utah 4) Phoenix 5) Denver

Dallas beats San Antonio, Phoenix beats Utah: 2) Dallas 3) Phoenix 4) Denver 5) Utah

San Antonio beats Dallas, Phoenix beats Utah: 2) Dallas 3) Phoenix 4) Denver 5) Utah

6-7:

San Antonio beats Dallas, Golden State beats Portland: 6) San Antonio 7) Portland

San Antonio beats Dallas, Portland beats Golden State: 6) Portland 7) San Antonio

Dallas beats San Antonio, Port-GS irrelevant: 6) Portland 7) San Antonio

I think that is right.

Fpoonsie
04-14-2010, 10:41 AM
So we need GS to beat POR to have ANY shot of avoiding DAL in the first round, w/ GS coming off a b2b?

Awesome.

alchemist
04-14-2010, 10:51 AM
So we need GS to beat POR to have ANY shot of avoiding DAL in the first round, w/ GS coming off a b2b?

Awesome.
The Spurs have to win at Dallas, Utah must beat Phoenix and Portland needs to win against the Warriors to avoid a first round with Dallas. Would Dallas tank to play Portland instead?

Lots of fun variables, we'll finally know by midnight where teams are headed.

:makemyday :danceclub

Fpoonsie
04-14-2010, 10:52 AM
:lol

What a mind-fuck.

alchemist
04-14-2010, 11:00 AM
:lol

What a mind-fuck.
:lol yeah it is, the Spurs could play 3 different teams in the first round and they really don't have any control over who they play. (costly loses to the Nets/Grizz recently :bang)

Findog
04-14-2010, 11:27 AM

Awesome.

San Antonio beats Dallas, Utah beats Phoenix, Golden State beats Portland =

2/7 Utah vs San Antonio
3/6 Dallas vs Portland

Girasuck
04-14-2010, 11:51 AM
I want nothing to do with the Spurs so I'm hoping for Dallas to win, then we win and end up playing Portland in the 3/6 series. I'm more confident we can beat Dallas without home court in the second round than I am beating the Spurs in the first round with HC. I don't care if we swept them this season, I don't want to see the Spurs at all.