PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Sucks

NameOfTheGame
04-14-2010, 07:42 AM
I just got done re-watching the Warriors 2007 first round upset of the gutless wimps (aka the Dallas Mavericks), I've come to one conclusion: Golden State Run 'n' Gun >>>>>>>>>>> Phoenix Suns Run 'n' Gun

and Bay Area fans >>>>>>>> the yuppies in Dallas personified by Mark Cuban
the level of hate i have for the dallas mavericks is only surpassed by how much i hate kobe/lakers/bandwagon laker fans (which is 90% of laker fans)

NameOfTheGame
04-14-2010, 07:45 AM
i hope jason terry breaks both of his legs (and arms) while driving to the first game of the series.

George Gervin's Afro
04-14-2010, 07:50 AM
I do agree that the mavs suck but you have to acknowledge they are a pretty good basketball team. With that being said it would be a pleasure for the Spurs to end their season extra early this year.

NameOfTheGame
04-14-2010, 08:10 AM
I do agree that the mavs suck but you have to acknowledge they are a pretty good basketball team. With that being said it would be a pleasure for the Spurs to end their season extra early this year.

Briinnnnggggg it.

NameOfTheGame
04-14-2010, 08:15 AM
But seriously...this is totally doable.

Guard Dirk by committee, exploit Kidd's oldness with a healthy dose of Hill/Parker, have Duncan performing at his usual dominant playoff form, and a good number of bounces and calls going our way...

in the words of The KiloGram...ANYTHING IS POSSIBLLLLLLLLLLLLLE!

Amarelooms
04-14-2010, 08:26 AM
lol :elephant

NameOfTheGame
04-14-2010, 08:28 AM
lol :elephant
I think everyone on this board knows how big of a douche/idiot you are. This is a new account for me, so I hadn't blocked you yet. I will now. This is the last reply I will post to anything you say.

Peace out, homez. Say hi to your mother for me.

ezau
04-14-2010, 08:36 AM
LOL Chokers

G-Nob
04-14-2010, 08:45 AM
Mavs = cute lil team

NameOfTheGame
04-14-2010, 08:50 AM
I still want 2006 back. 'Cos the mavs sure as hell didn't do shit with it.

Lukor
04-14-2010, 09:32 AM
I just got done re-watching the Warriors 2007 first round upset of the gutless wimps (aka the Dallas Mavericks), I've come to one conclusion: Golden State Run 'n' Gun >>>>>>>>>>> Phoenix Suns Run 'n' Gun

the level of hate i have for the dallas mavericks is only surpassed by how much i hate kobe/lakers/bandwagon laker fans (which is 90% of laker fans)

it's just basketball dude, the fact that you "hate" the Mavericks and all that is hilarious. I suggest you get a life and treat basketball as what it is - a hobby.

lefty
04-14-2010, 09:33 AM
Cool story bro

in2deep
04-14-2010, 09:33 AM
Dallas is a pretty good team.

I hate them but give them respect. If spurs play them it will go down to 6 or 7 games anybody's series.

Rummpd
04-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Spurs will take the Mavs in 5 book it now - Spurs have a better point differential and when healthy a far better team - Dallas is a mirage with the loss of Spurs killers for hyped people like Caron Butler (chronic loser)

stretch
04-14-2010, 09:48 AM
mavs in 5 at most

Findog
04-14-2010, 09:50 AM
But seriously...this is totally doable.

Guard Dirk by committee

What does that mean? Have a bunch of guys get lit up by Dirk by committee?

HORNSWOGGLE
04-14-2010, 09:50 AM
mavs in 5 at most
yup mavs will lose in 5

Findog
04-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Spurs have a better point differential

Not against the Mavs they don't.

in2deep
04-14-2010, 09:51 AM
What does that mean? Have a bunch of guys get lit up by Dirk by committee?

that's what pretty much happens everytime we play the Mavs. As long as everyone else in the mavs is slowed down, I'm ok with this strategy

Findog
04-14-2010, 09:56 AM
On a serious note, I'm sure the Spurs will defend Dirk the way they did last year. Trap him and swarm him with double teams, on the theory that his teammates are less likely to beat you than he is. It didn't work because Josh Howard, Brandon Bass and even little JJ Barea had a big series against San Antonio, but it's sound in theory. Since the Spurs don't have anybody who can check Dirk, I'm sure they will utilize this strategy again. It's up to Caron Butler, Jason Kidd, Brendan Haywood, Jason Terry and Roddy Beaubois to make the Spurs pay.

I'm not too worried about Duncan because the tandem of Dampier/Haywood should be able to keep him around 19/10 levels instead of him going off for 25/13. Ginobili is hot right now but the Mavs have three good wing defenders to throw at him (Marion, Stevenson and Kidd). He'll get his but he can't be getting 35 a night on 50% shooting. Hill and Parker could give the Mavs real trouble with their quickness.

On paper the Mavs have a few more answers for the Spurs than vice versa, but it wouldn't be a shock if the Spurs won. I wish my fellow Mavs fans wouldn't be so cocky.

Findog
04-14-2010, 09:59 AM
that's what pretty much happens everytime we play the Mavs. As long as everyone else in the mavs is slowed down, I'm ok with this strategy

Last year Dirk's #'s in the series against San Antonio weren't impressive, but he had a great series patiently working through the double teams and traps playing an excellent facillitator game. The Spurs for years have lacked a reliable one on one option to check Dirk and that's no different this year. I expect them to use the Houston 05/Miami 06/Golden 07 "swarm him with double teams and traps" strategy. Dirk has gotten better at dealing with it over the years, but we beat San Antonio last year because Bass, Howard and Barea killed the Spurs for going to it. Our new crew will need to do the same this year. It does us no good it Dirk hits a cutter or a guy spotting up wide-open for three and he misses.

nkdlunch
04-14-2010, 09:59 AM
:lmao 52 year old Kidd guarding Manu????

:lmao

how is this not worse than putting Bonner on Dirk???

and Manu has a history of raping Marion in the playoffs.

so I guess you are stuck with the Lebron stopper :lol

Findog
04-14-2010, 10:08 AM
52 year old Kidd guarding Manu????

You obviously haven't put the Taco Cabana long enough to watch Kidd play this year. He does a good job checking two's...it's the speedy Parker/Paul types he has trouble stopping.

how is this not worse than putting Bonner on Dirk???

Because Jason Kidd is 10x the defender Bonner will ever be.

and Manu has a history of raping Marion in the playoffs.

Yeah, right. Marion is effective checking Kobe and Melo, but Manu is gonna drop 40 a night on him. Whatever.

nkdlunch
04-14-2010, 10:12 AM
You obviously haven't put the Taco Cabana long enough to watch Kidd play this year. He does a good job checking two's...it's the speedy Parker/Paul types he has trouble stopping.

Because Jason Kidd is 10x the defender Bonner will ever be.

Yeah, right. Marion is effective checking Kobe and Melo, but Manu is gonna drop 40 a night on him. Whatever.

you need to take your mouth off your Mav Crewmate's cock for a second and realize Kidd cannot guard Manu on the perimeter. Kidd has almost as slow lateral movement as Fisher at this point. Manu will eat him alive.

And :lol at you not knowing Marion's playoff FAIL history

Findog
04-14-2010, 10:21 AM
you need to take your mouth off your Mav Crewmate's cock for a second and realize Kidd cannot guard Manu on the perimeter. Kidd has almost as slow lateral movement as Fisher at this point. Manu will eat him alive.

Kidd will guard Manu in stretches, as will Stevenson, as will Marion. Are the Mavs gonna shut Manu down and hold him to 5 points a game? Of course not. Can those three guys in tandem force him into an inefficient shooting performance? Eminently possible.

Oh yeah, and what is that? That he played on Suns teams that could never beat the Spurs? WGAF?

The Mavs don't need Marion to score 20 a game like the Suns did. They need him to keep Manu from going off. In Phoenix, he got into alpha-dog pissing contests with Amare over who "The Man" was. After being in basketball purgatory, he has reinvented himself in Dallas as an effectively role player. If Marion can force Kobe and Melo into inefficient performances, he can do the same to Manu. If Manu gets 20 on 43% shooting, Dallas can live with that. If he's scoring 30 on 50%, Dallas is in trouble.

NameOfTheGame
04-14-2010, 10:23 AM

Truth.

NameOfTheGame
04-14-2010, 10:25 AM
it's just basketball dude, the fact that you "hate" the Mavericks and all that is hilarious. I suggest you get a life and treat basketball as what it is - a hobby.

Nah...I have your mom for that. OHHHHHHH!

http://soundcloud.com/mikekim/kennedy-your-mama

Findog
04-14-2010, 10:26 AM
Truth.

Suns could never beat the Spurs, therefore Marion isn't a good defender and isn't a good option for checking Manu in a Mavs-Spurs series.

Spur fan logic. :toast

nkdlunch
04-14-2010, 10:27 AM
Suns could never beat the Spurs, therefore Marion isn't a good defender and isn't a good option for checking Manu in a Mavs-Spurs series.

Spur fan logic. :toast

nah man. THe logic is there are certain players that always dissapear during the playoffs. And Marion is one of them.

pawe
04-14-2010, 10:29 AM
I am a Spur fan so of course I will agree they suck but when they play the Spurs, they become this super unstoppable team. Kidd becomes a set 3pt sharpshooter, Dirk drives and posts up in the lane, Terry is clutch, and their bench becomes starter material. Watch out for Marion to be Bowen 2.0 in this series.

SpurCharger
Im Spurs all the way..... But Dallas matches up with us very well.... Would prefer Utah....

NameOfTheGame
Cool story bro

thanks! brah.

Johnny RIngo
04-14-2010, 10:30 AM

And yet Marion/Kidd allowed Andre Miller to go off on the Mavs for 52 points.

Fpoonsie
04-14-2010, 10:37 AM
They actually don't. They matchup even better w/ us than the majority of the 2000's Bucks teams.

What is it about Spur fan and their urge to create unnecessarily bad basketball karma?

Findog
04-14-2010, 10:38 AM
And yet Marion/Kidd allowed Andre Miller to go off on the Mavs for 52 points.

And the last game without Marion, Andre Miller went 2 for 12 for 6 points against us. What's your point?

NameOfTheGame
04-14-2010, 10:40 AM
And the last game without Marion, Andre Miller went 2 for 12 for 6 points against us. What's your point?

Nothing. We'll have to wait and see.

Findog
04-14-2010, 10:42 AM
Nothing. We'll have to wait and see.

Yes, we will. The Spurs worry me. I wish some of my fellow Mavs fans would shut up and ease up on the shit-talking a bit.

CubanMustGo
04-14-2010, 10:45 AM
On a serious note, I'm sure the Spurs will defend Dirk the way they did last year. Trap him and swarm him with double teams, on the theory that his teammates are less likely to beat you than he is. It didn't work because Josh Howard, Brandon Bass and even little JJ Barea had a big series against San Antonio, but it's sound in theory. Since the Spurs don't have anybody who can check Dirk, I'm sure they will utilize this strategy again. It's up to Caron Butler, Jason Kidd, Brendan Haywood, Jason Terry and Roddy Beaubois to make the Spurs pay.

I'm not too worried about Duncan because the tandem of Dampier/Haywood should be able to keep him around 19/10 levels instead of him going off for 25/13. Ginobili is hot right now but the Mavs have three good wing defenders to throw at him (Marion, Stevenson and Kidd). He'll get his but he can't be getting 35 a night on 50% shooting. Hill and Parker could give the Mavs real trouble with their quickness.

On paper the Mavs have a few more answers for the Spurs than vice versa, but it wouldn't be a shock if the Spurs won. I wish my fellow Mavs fans wouldn't be so cocky.

I want to recognize Findog for raising the bar despite the obvious trollish manner in which this thread was started.

I also wish I had a clue about how this series will turn out. You can't deny that the Mavs have had the Spurs' number in recent playoffs; you also can't deny that both clubs have a number of new working parts that will have a lot to say about which team is going to win this series.

Fpoonsie
04-14-2010, 10:48 AM
I want to recognize Findog for raising the bar despite the obvious trollish manner in which this thread was started.

Fin's a quality poster w/o a doubt, but I can't help but think a BIT of his civility the past few days has to do w/ trying to balance out the bad juju put out there by stretch, m>s, and the like.

LoneStarState'sPride
04-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Yes, we will. The Spurs worry me. I wish some of my fellow Mavs fans would shut up and ease up on the shit-talking a bit.

Yeah, and Spurs fans could ease up on the mavs trash-talking, too. Bad karma for both sides, but it's all in good fun, I guess. Kinda expected when two state rivals get together like this.

From a strictly basketball standpoint, though, Spurs-Mavs would be a helluva series.

Shank
04-14-2010, 11:10 AM

Why would you watch a matchup featuring two team you supposedly don't care about?

monosylab1k
04-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Spurs in 6, imho

Dex
04-14-2010, 11:13 AM

As much as I wish we could count on this again, Bowen is sporting a bow-tie these days.

Findog
04-14-2010, 11:13 AM
Why would you watch a matchup featuring two team you supposedly don't care about?

Spur fan logic, don't question it. Similar to Palin logic.

dirk4mvp
04-14-2010, 11:16 AM
I am a Spur fan so of course I will agree they suck but when they play the Spurs, they become this super unstoppable team. Kidd becomes a set 3pt sharpshooter, Dirk drives and posts up in the lane, Terry is clutch, and their bench becomes starter material. Watch out for Marion to be Bowen 2.0 in this series.

You realize these happen every other game the Mavs play too right?

Findog
04-14-2010, 11:18 AM
As much as I wish we could count on this again, Bowen is sporting a bow-tie these days.

Bowen is a member of NOI?

jag
04-14-2010, 11:42 AM

You forgot to mention RJ. The mavs are going to have to find a way to keep him from going for 25 and 10 every game.

Findog
04-14-2010, 11:47 AM
You forgot to mention RJ. The mavs are going to have to find a way to keep him from going for 25 and 10 every game.

It will be hard to keep him from doubling his season averages.

TDomination
04-14-2010, 11:58 AM
i hope jason terry breaks both of his legs (and arms) while driving to the first game of the series.
:lol geez lol

but it's all in good fun,

bingo, we hate them. they hate us, trash talking is going to happen between fans.

i LOVE this time of year!

jag
04-14-2010, 12:03 PM
It will be hard to keep him from doubling his season averages.

In all honesty...it'd be nice to see him find a rhythm. If he can find his place in the offense, he could have a couple games with 20 and 10. Defense will decide the series, but those are the type of games where it would be hard for Dallas to outscore the Spurs.

urunobili
04-14-2010, 12:11 PM
I don't like the name of the thread.. DFW is one of my favorite cities worldwide... it's just Cuban and his crew and just isolated players that makes me puke about them...

Findog
04-14-2010, 12:26 PM
nah man. THe logic is there are certain players that always dissapear during the playoffs. And Marion is one of them.

Oh yeah, he "disappears" all right:

eFG% for his career: .511
eFG% in the playoffs: .496

Rebounding rate for his career: 14.6%
Rebounding rate in the playoffs: 15.1%

Steal % for his career: 2.4%
Steal % in the playoffs: 1.9%

Offensive Rating for his career: 111
Offensive Rating in the playoffs: 111

Defensive Rating for his career: 101
Defensive Rating in the playoffs: 104

PER for his career: 19.9
PER in the playoffs: 18.2

His numbers are slightly worse in the playoffs, which is not much of a surprise when the competition improves dramatically and you don't play the Nets or Timberwolves. So yeah, he completely falls off a cliff. Good take. :toast

Spurs own the Suns, Marion was a Sun, therefore Marion sucks and will be the Spurs's bitch. Good logic there. :toast

I'm sure you think Dirk "disappears" in the playoffs, considering he's good enough to have participated in 97 playoff games and is one of only 6 guys in NBA history to average a 25/11 in the money season.

NameOfTheGame
04-14-2010, 12:29 PM

Classic example of the telephone game. This is how rumors get started.

anyway...i never said i didn't care about them. i said i hated them. ("them" being dallas and la.) huge difference, man.

also...i LIVE IN THE BAY AREA. I'm a huge warriors fan as well. why else would i be able to re-watch the whole series off my laptop??

easy7
04-14-2010, 12:33 PM

His numbers are slightly worse in the playoffs, which is not much of a surprise when the competition improves dramatically and you don't play the Nets or Timberwolves. So yeah, he completely falls off a cliff. Good take. :toast

Spurs own the Suns, Marion was a Sun, therefore Marion sucks and will be the Spurs's bitch. Good logic there. :toast

I'm sure you think Dirk "disappears" in the playoffs, considering he's good enough to have participated in 97 playoff games and is one of only 6 guys in NBA history to average a 25/11 in the money season.

Don't get your panties up in a wad. Bonner and Mason have also dissapeared or have been non-factors in the playoffs. I guess that is what we mean here. There are certain individuals that have great regular season games but are nowhere to be found in the playoffs. :hat

NFGIII
04-14-2010, 12:33 PM
Going to be a great series. Both sides have weapons that can hurt the other. Both have newbies, playing good BB at the time and the rivalry is intense. As a BB fan nothing could be better than two teams that don't like one another pitted against each other in the POs.

And if Dallas sucks so bad why do they have a better record than the Spurs? For those who bitch about Dirk so much if the Spurs had Dirk for these many years how many rings do you think SA would have? I'm willing to bet more than 4 and more along the lines of 6+. Bonner is here to spread the floor so WTF do you think Dirk would do with a dominant big like TD down low? That would have been Stern's greatest nightmare!

Just Looking at Dallas:

Dirk: How to handle him and I really don't think a committee over a 7 game series is going to get it done. As Findog stated about Manu - just try to make him as inefficient as you can and hope for the best. He will be in the HOF so it's the other players that need to be slowed down. Last year Dirk had some bad games - that is for Dirk - and what ha[ppened? The Spurs got burned by other players and lost.

Kidd: TP needs to own this guy since he has trouble guarding those quick and fast PGs. I want TP or whoever is on him to stay with him. Drive on him constantly and see if you can get him into foul trouble or disrupt his game. No cheating and letting him camp out on the 3 point line. Though he isn't that consistent he can get on a roll and burn you. Contesting him will help not letting him get started. I'd rather see Kidd blanketed more than worrying about what Dirk will do. If the Spurs can disrupt Kidd's game and the flow of the rock then their chances go up significantly. I think Kidd will be the key to winning this series. If he gets on a roll then the Spurs chances aren't very good.

Marion: Against the Spurs he was a huge disappointment for the Suns. But past performances don't neccessarily translate to present ones. He's a good defender, rebounder and scorer so we'll see what he does this year. Controlling the Dallas fast break...similar to what the Spurs did agianst the Suns... will help neutralize him. But Bowen was a major reason for that and with him gone I feel :depressed Marion strives in the open court so taking that way from him is neccessary. And if he guards Manu I think he is in for a long series considering the level at which Manu is at.

Dalllas frontline: Much improved with the addition of Hayward. Remember Spurs fans many of you - me included - wanted our FO ot go after him when the Wizzards were in firesale mode. Our frontline isn't as big as theirs - or for that matter most teams in the POs - so this is a concern for me. TD will get his points but where is the defensive rebounding going to come from? Will they own the boards or not?

A win for the Spurs is very doable but this isn't going to be a 5 game series. 6 if not 7 and if not then I'll be very surprised. Dallas has the weapons to beat the Spurs and vica versa. Who steps up is the key.

Having said all that I want to start the POs with either Denver or Utah. Dallas isn't the first round matchup the Spurs want. I'd rather take on the Lakers with a rusty Bynum and a hurt Kobe than the Mavs in the first round.

Findog
04-14-2010, 12:34 PM
Don't get your panties up in a wad. Bonner and Mason have also dissapeared or have been non-factors in the playoffs. :hat

What does this non sequitur have to do with anything?

NameOfTheGame
04-14-2010, 12:35 PM

Yeah...and compare that to most every other "elite" player in NBA history. I'll give you one comparative example that you can look at: Tim Duncan.

easy7
04-14-2010, 12:37 PM
What does this non sequitur have to do with anything?

You are bringing up stats like Marion is the best motherfer ever and that we are saying he is not, but reality is that all people here have someone like Marion in their team. People here know Marion and have seen him in the playoffs.

Findog
04-14-2010, 12:42 PM
Yeah...and compare that to most every other "elite" player in NBA history. I'll give you one comparative example that you can look at: Tim Duncan.

Is Marion an "elite" player? In his prime an All-Star caliber player, sure, but an elite player? Nope. The Mavs aren't counting on Marion to score 25 a game and take the last shot.

The argument is that Marion "disappears" in the playoffs. He clearly does not. Statistically, he's about 80% the player he is in the regular season. Bringing up Tim Duncan is a non sequitur.

Even if you retort that Marion isn't "clutch," he's not being asked to have the offense run through him in the final five minutes of a game. His role is not exactly the same as it was in Phoenix. He'll be asked to check Manu, crash the boards and get out in the open court for fast break opportunities.

Findog
04-14-2010, 12:44 PM
You are bringing up stats like Marion is the best motherfer ever

I'm bringing up stats that prove Marion doesn't "disappear" and fall off a cliff in the playoffs. It's not my problem your cognitive functions are impaired to the point that your reading comprehension skills leave something to be desired.

People here know Marion and have seen him in the playoffs

Then you know there's not that much difference between what he does in the regular season and the playoffs.

Findog
04-14-2010, 12:46 PM
Spurs have a better point differential

http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullColumn.php?id=2890

The post-trade Mavs are 5th in point differential.

Rummpd
04-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Your own stats show the weakness of the Mavs - they stink at rebounding and points in the paint and Parker and Hill will drive the lane with impunity on the still soft Mavs. Mavs pre or post trade have been one of the weakest two seeds in recent WC memory and will go down in flames. A healthy Manu is going to absolutely destroy the Mavs - book it.

Findog
04-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Your own stats show the weakness of the Mavs - they stink at rebounding and points in the paint and Parker and Hill will drive the lane with impunity on the still soft Mavs. Mavs pre or post trade have been one of the weakest two seeds in recent WC memory and will go down in flames. A healthy Manu is going to absolutely destroy the Mavs - book it.

A lot of confidence for a team that recently got owned by the Nets and Grizzlies. :toast

Muser
04-14-2010, 12:55 PM
A lot of confidence for a team that recently got owned by the Nets and Grizzlies. :toast

At least we beat the elite teams (L.A/Orlando/Cleveland). This year has gone full circle for the Spurs, this series will be a lot closer than last year but I still think Dallas wins in 6/7.

Findog
04-14-2010, 12:56 PM
At least we beat the elite teams (L.A/Orlando/Cleveland). This year has gone full circle for the Spurs, this series will be a lot closer than last year but I still think Dallas wins in 6/7.

It's hard to know what to expect from the Spurs on a night to night basis. They're peaking at the right time, but even recently they've had some impressive performances (wins @ LA, Boston, Denver) mixed in with some really bad ones. You can't tell me that they were sleepwalking against Memphis with the stakes involved for playoff positioning.

easy7
04-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Findog - If the Mavs eliminate the Spurs this season and don't get past the second round... Will you consider this season a success?

Rummpd
04-14-2010, 01:00 PM
A lot of confidence for a team that recently got owned by the Nets and Grizzlies. :toast\

And beat the hell of of a lot of top teams in a ten day stretch - Magic, Cavs,Lakers, Boston! (Mavs NOT a top team but a mirage!)

Be very afraid Mavs fans this is a resilient and motivated Spurs team that has been the top NBA team in terms of what it had to do to get to 50 wins over the last month and half - pray you do not meet the Spurs as you will all be fishing.

Findog
04-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Findog - If the Mavs eliminate the Spurs this season and don't get past the second round... Will you consider this season a success?

Nope, not at all. The Mavs need to advance to the Conference Finals for me to consider the season a modified success. If the Spurs eliminate the Mavs and fail to advance to the Conference Finals, will you consider the Spurs season a success with all the injuries they had and acclimating Jefferson into the lineup?

Muser
04-14-2010, 01:02 PM
It's hard to know what to expect from the Spurs on a night to night basis. They're peaking at the right time, but even recently they've had some impressive performances (wins @ LA, Boston, Denver) mixed in with some really bad ones. You can't tell me that they were sleepwalking against Memphis with the stakes involved for playoff positioning.

No I 100% agree, if the Spurs turn up for Memphis/New Jersey and then don't lose other gimme's (Dejuan Blair dumbass technical against Atlanta comes to mind) then tonight could've been a game for the division. IIRC the Spurs have done quite well this season against Dirk, if they can hold him to a below average series then they should win. Sadly holding Dirk to below average is kinda hard..

Findog
04-14-2010, 01:05 PM
No I 100% agree, if the Spurs turn up for Memphis/New Jersey and then don't lose other gimme's (Dejuan Blair dumbass technical against Atlanta comes to mind) then tonight could've been a game for the division. IIRC the Spurs have done quite well this season against Dirk, if they can hold him to a below average series then they should win. Sadly holding Dirk to below average is kinda hard..

He's had 1 great game and two slightly subpar games against the Spurs this year.

Rummpd

Oh thee of little faith - worried about the Mavs? This Spurs team, with a healthy Manu, will not lose a playoff series to the Mavs in consecutive years.

Lukor

geez dude i have never seen such an unbiased and objective analysis. Some team should hire you as an assistant coach, no kidding.

Muser
04-14-2010, 01:08 PM
Oh thee of little faith - worried about the Mavs? This Spurs team, with a healthy Manu, will not lose a playoff series to the Mavs in consecutive years.

Not as worried as I was a month ago, i'm not saying we can't beat them but it's not exactly a dream matchup.

easy7
04-14-2010, 01:08 PM
Nope, not at all. The Mavs need to advance to the Conference Finals for me to consider the season a modified success. If the Spurs eliminate the Mavs and fail to advance to the Conference Finals, will you consider the Spurs season a success with all the injuries they had and acclimating Jefferson into the lineup?

Anything less than the championship will be a failure. I lived in Dallas for 20 yrs, got my degree from UTA and owned a home in Mesquite and it seems like the Mav fans that I knew there were happy with just beating the Spurs and talking shit about it when I didn't even mention the times the Spurs have won it all.

Findog
04-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Anything less than the championship will be a failure. I lived in Dallas for 20 yrs, got my degree from UTA and owned a home in Mesquite and it seems like the Mav fans that I knew there were happy with just beating the Spurs and talking shit about it when I didn't even mention the times the Spurs have won it all.

I don't think Dallas is gonna beat Cleveland in a 7-game series. That's just being realistic. Having said that, Cuban has reoriented the franchise's philosophy and direction to where competing for a championship is an expectation, not a hope. I think Dallas is a darkhorse contender for the title this year. Having said that, I can't honestly get pissed off if they lose to the Cavs/Magic in the Finals, should they make it that far.

cheguevara
04-14-2010, 01:16 PM
I don't think Dallas is gonna beat Cleveland in a 7-game series. That's just being realistic. Having said that, Cuban has reoriented the franchise's philosophy and direction to where competing for a championship is an expectation, not a hope. I think Dallas is a darkhorse contender for the title this year. Having said that, I can't honestly get pissed off if they lose to the Cavs/Magic in the Finals, should they make it that far.

this is the problem with the Mavericks. They are 2nd seed and with Lakers struggling SHOULD be favorites out of the West. Unfortunately, since the mavs have proven again and again that they are prone to choking in the big stage, NOONE(not even mavfans) is putting them as favorites and noone would be surprised if they lost in round 1,2 or 3

Findog
04-14-2010, 01:17 PM
this is the problem with the Mavericks. They are 2nd seed and with Lakers struggling SHOULD be favorites out of the West. Unfortunately, since the mavs have proven again and again that they are prone to choking in the big stage, NOONE(not even mavfans) is putting them as favorites and noone would be surprised if they lost in round 1,2 or 3

Okay.

Muser
04-14-2010, 01:25 PM
Parker is the main key, Manu is on fire at the right time and playoff Tim will show up. If he can play like he did against the Timberwolves (Yeah I know they suck) then the Spurs have a damn good chance.

Rummpd
04-14-2010, 01:38 PM
People act like the Mavs are unbeatable - gimme a break - they still have a soft superstar, an aging PG, Marion who disappears in the big games (stats lie he hides in the 4th and has for years) and Haywood was the starting center who was outplayed for a year by others on a losing team while Butler keeps getting traded (as his value is over-valued). i went to several Wizards game living in DC and these two are the most over-hyped addition in years. Mavs won a lot of close games this year but at no time have they looked as dominant as the under the radar Spurs have over the last month and half when the Spurs mauled top tier teams.

Mavs have talent but gimme a break if you think their stars match up with a motivated Parker, Manu (especially), Duncan + Hill, Blair, Jefferson and Dice. Spurs in 5 or if the Mavs get a lucky ref job again at most 6. Mavs fans this is payback time and I for one am praying the Spurs get the Mavs - less travel, more rest and a motivated Spurs team will not lose to the Mavs in the first round in consecutive years period.

Dirkadirkastan
04-14-2010, 01:39 PM

The opposite problem will show in a few years after Duncan retires. The Spurs will build a nice, little team with marginal talent in guys like Hill and Blair and such, but nothing that needs to be taken all that seriously. However, all the Spurs fans will expect to win a championship every year because they've been spoiled rotten.

Mixability
04-14-2010, 01:40 PM
Either way, it'll be a good series.