PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Trade WR Brandon Marshall to Dolphins

ATRAIN
04-14-2010, 07:44 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AooEfjk5XKwmNa6R.l2qm6U5nYcB?slug=tsn-broncostradewrbrando

The Miami Dolphins have acquired wide receiver Brandon Marshall(notes) in a trade with the Denver Broncos, ESPN reports.

The Dolphins give up a second-round pick in next week’s NFL Draft and what is possibly an additional second-round pick in 2011, sources said.

If Marshall passes his physical in Miami today, he will sign what will be one of the most lucrative deals for a wide receiver in NFL history, according to the report.

In addition to the Dolphins, the Seahawks reportedly were making attempts to land Marshall. Tampa Bay also showed interest, and the Jets also considered trying to deal for him before they acquired Santonio Holmes(notes) from the Jets earlier this week, ESPN says.

This is the second consecutive offseason in which the Broncos made a blockbuster trade. Last year, they dealt QB Jay Cutler(notes) to the Bears.

MiamiHeat
04-14-2010, 08:30 AM
i heard this yesterday

FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yavozerb
04-14-2010, 09:23 AM
:danceclub...Finally, a legit wr for henne to throw too. Afc east is quickly becoming must see tv..

JamStone
04-14-2010, 09:25 AM
Wow, Parcells didn't fuck around. Two second round picks?

Dolphins got their #1 receiver, and he's a good one.

yavozerb
04-14-2010, 09:30 AM
Wow, Parcells didn't fuck around. Two second round picks?

Dolphins got their #1 receiver, and he's a good one.

Not crazy about the 2 2nd rd picks, but this guy is a monster..I agree that the jets paid low for holmes, but holmes is going to miss 4 games and also be FA after the season..

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-14-2010, 09:31 AM
This kind of stuff mystifies me. Why weren't more teams willing to trade 2 2nd round picks for someone who's considered a young T.O.

monosylab1k
04-14-2010, 10:19 AM
This kind of stuff mystifies me. Why weren't more teams willing to trade 2 2nd round picks for someone who's considered a young T.O.

I don't get it either. NE absolutely should have been trying to get this guy. This move is better than every move the Jets have made, by a mile.

Whisky Dog
04-14-2010, 10:21 AM

There's a reason why the Broncos were so eager to get rid of the guy and settled for possibly 2 second rounders (if even that) for such a talent. He tends to be a head case and whines and bitches if things don't go his direction. He can be a chemistry killer and teams are leary of dealing with that.

dirk4mvp
04-14-2010, 11:11 AM
afc east champs, imho.

monosylab1k
04-14-2010, 11:12 AM
afc east champs, imho.

crofl

ATRAIN
04-14-2010, 11:24 AM
What's the Status with Ronnie Brown?

gaKNOW!blee
04-14-2010, 11:24 AM
my concern is can he stay out of trouble in miami?

also, the Bills are fucked in that division.

The Franchise
04-14-2010, 12:13 PM
afc east champs, imho.

I share your opinion.

jack sommerset
04-14-2010, 12:24 PM

I guess Parcell's didn't mind having T.O. after all.

ATRAIN
04-14-2010, 12:37 PM
I think this is a great trade for the Fins if Marshall doesnt act like a little bitch, but then again TO did ok under the Tuna's eye.

DBryant88
04-14-2010, 12:46 PM
afc east champs, imho.

idk about that. it will come right down to the wire between the jets and 'fins.

the only thing is the jets D is nasty and will prolly help them win the division

jack sommerset
04-14-2010, 12:52 PM
Miami should sign T.O.

bostonguy
04-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Ok now I am starting to get a little pissed. Pats are just standing pat and they have needs that have to be addressed. I am eh on the Jets moves but damn the Fins got a nice pickup. Welker will be out so we need more wideouts to help with Moss. We need a running game. We need a pass rusher. The best move the Pats have made is keep Wilfork.

bostonguy
04-14-2010, 01:14 PM

the only thing is the jets D is nasty and will prolly help them win the division

Despite all these moves, Pats are still the team to beat in the AFC East. To count them out in that division is pretty foolish. They will certainly have a tougher road though.

DBryant88
04-14-2010, 01:15 PM
Ok now I am starting to get a little pissed. Pats are just standing pat and they have needs that have to be addressed. I am eh on the Jets moves but damn the Fins got a nice pickup. Welker will be out so we need more wideouts to help with Moss. We need a running game. We need a pass rusher. The best move the Pats have made is keep Wilfork.

are you saying alge crumpler wasn't a solid pickup?

HarlemHeat37
04-14-2010, 01:21 PM
Very happy with this deal..

They said Denver couldn't get good compensation after the Holmes trade and the rumors that there wasn't much interest in Marshall, so 2 2nd round picks is cool with me..

Marshall is now the highest paid WR in NFL history..there's pretty much no way Bowlen was going to pay him that either way, so he was going to be out of Denver regardless..

He's going to be playing in Miami now..there's a good chance he gets himself into trouble there, since that's what he does best..his next "offense" results in a long suspension..

MiamiHeat
04-14-2010, 01:21 PM
uh guys
don't forget

Dolphins also signed Karlos Dansby :)

Fins acquired the 2 biggest playmakers on the market, 1 on defense and 1 on offense

now, the Fins are thinking about trading Ronnie Brown and Teddy Ginn for some picks and drafting CJ Spiller with the #12 overall pick

bostonguy
04-14-2010, 02:12 PM
are you saying alge crumpler wasn't a solid pickup?

Getting Crumpler was nice but with Welker out, it really hurts the passing game. Moss is getting up their in age. The running backs the Pats have aren't very good. And it is tough to play great D when you don't have any pass rushers.

vander
04-14-2010, 02:57 PM
good move for the dolphins. that offense, and that QB really need a big play WR who can make plays out of jump balls, desperation heaves, WR screens, etc.

Blake
04-14-2010, 03:02 PM
Miami should sign T.O.

that would be awesome on so many levels.

IronMexican
04-14-2010, 04:03 PM
The Pats got Crumpler? Had no idea they needed a linemen that bad. They should make a trade for Russell. He looks like a nice 3-4 DE.

Horry For 3!
04-14-2010, 04:50 PM
Dude got major money from the Fins, 4 years 47.5 mil. Most money a WR has received in NFL history.

MiamiHeat
04-14-2010, 05:25 PM
yup..

and Dansby got the most money ever in nfl history from his position by the dolphins too ;/

JamStone
04-14-2010, 05:51 PM
Not crazy about the 2 2nd rd picks, but this guy is a monster..I agree that the jets paid low for holmes, but holmes is going to miss 4 games and also be FA after the season..

Don't get me wrong. I actually think Marshall is worth it. It is a steep price to pay but they're getting an absolute beast, for sure. I'm just saying Parcells wasn't fucking around. He made a really big offer and made it quick so the Broncos almost couldn't pass on it and try to get more of a feel of different offers from other teams. That's what I mean that Parcells wasn't fucking around. He proposed an offer he knew would be very tough to turn down. Probably even told them if they don't accept it immediately, the offer would come off the table.

gaKNOW!blee
04-14-2010, 05:55 PM
yup..

and Dansby got the most money ever in nfl history from his position by the dolphins too ;/

Dansby is so fucking overrated

Blake
04-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Don't get me wrong. I actually think Marshall is worth it. It is a steep price to pay but they're getting an absolute beast, for sure. I'm just saying Parcells wasn't fucking around. He made a really big offer and made it quick so the Broncos almost couldn't pass on it and try to get more of a feel of different offers from other teams. That's what I mean that Parcells wasn't fucking around. He proposed an offer he knew would be very tough to turn down. Probably even told them if they don't accept it immediately, the offer would come off the table.

I don't. Solid wide receivers can be had at bargain prices.

They should spend their time and money getting a pro bowl caliber QB in there instead.

gaKNOW!blee
04-14-2010, 07:15 PM

They should spend their time and money getting a pro bowl caliber QB in there instead.

Brandon Marshall is way beyond solid, try elite.

And the Dolphins do think they have a probowl type QB in there, thats why they want out and got him a weapon.

Blake
04-14-2010, 08:00 PM

Right. The point is that the dolphins are wasting money and picks on that "elite" receiver when solid receivers can be had for reasonable prices.

And the Dolphins do think they have a probowl type QB in there, thats why they want out and got him a weapon.

If that's the case they should go out and get him more protection on the O line.

I wonder if the fins are planning on scrapping the wildcat, and if not, how happy will Marshall be catching 80 balls instead of 100

HarlemHeat37
04-14-2010, 08:56 PM
Marshall has never had a problem with his role, he's all about his money..he didn't complain at all about Orton and the lack of successful passing in the offense, he continued to play..he just wanted his $, now he has it..I don't think there will be a problem with him in regards to the on-field stuff..

He's just a troubled guy that has anger problems, parties too much and fights with his women a lot..it's going to be interesting in a party city like Miami instead of Denver..

gaKNOW!blee
04-14-2010, 08:58 PM
Right. The point is that the dolphins are wasting money and picks on that "elite" receiver when solid receivers can be had for reasonable prices.

If that's the case they should go out and get him more protection on the O line.

I wonder if the fins are planning on scrapping the wildcat, and if not, how happy will Marshall be catching 80 balls instead of 100

Brandon Marshall changes games. Ask the Cowboys.

Solid receivers dont change shit.

jack sommerset
04-14-2010, 10:38 PM
That new coach sure is making his job tougher. Trading for Brady Quinn and trading Marshall.

yavozerb
04-15-2010, 06:54 AM

Marshall is not a solid wr, he is a an elite wr (top 3 in nfl), huge difference..Guess you havn't seen to many dolphin games cause henne was very good during his first season as starting qb and should be even better this season.

yavozerb
04-15-2010, 06:56 AM
Dude got major money from the Fins, 4 years 47.5 mil. Most money a WR has received in NFL history.

I think only 26 mil is guranteed..still alot of $ though

sa_butta
04-15-2010, 08:42 AM
Although the money is insane, I am very happy with the move...the front office did what they had to to get us a #1. They kind of contradicted everything they were saying previously about getting prototypical players and avoiding the diva receiva. But in the end we got our man. And as far as gettin oline help...they drafted Jake Long in the first round last year and picked up hothead Richie Incognito this year. I think for the draft the Phins go after a FS like Earl Thomas or Dan Williams at NT since dumbass Ferguson is suspended again for 8 games. The Dansby signing was a must since the LB position has faded with ?? for Jason Taylors return, and Joey Porter wasnt worth a shit. Channing Crowder has also been less than impressive.

I think the Marshall move makes a threat to reclaim the AFC east. But as we all know all this looks good on paper, but will come down to execution.

Go Phins!!

Blake
04-15-2010, 11:28 AM
Marshall is not a solid wr, he is a an elite wr (top 3 in nfl), huge difference..

The inability of posters to read is apparently contagious in this thread.

Guess you havn't seen to many dolphin games cause henne was very good during his first season as starting qb and should be even better this season.

I guess I missed Henne making the pro bowl last year.

Blake
04-15-2010, 11:32 AM

Brandon Marshall catching 21 passes in a game doesn't guarantee a win. Ask the Broncos.

Wide receivers in general don't really change shit. Pro bowl caliber QBs do.

DBryant88
04-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Getting Crumpler was nice but with Welker out, it really hurts the passing game. Moss is getting up their in age. The running backs the Pats have aren't very good. And it is tough to play great D when you don't have any pass rushers.

just how do you figure the Pats are still "the" team in the AFC East?
You listed off more than enough reasons why the team is on the decline and why their door of opportunity in closing fast.

yavozerb
04-15-2010, 01:37 PM
The inability of posters to read is apparently contagious in this thread.

I guess I missed Henne making the pro bowl last year.

Wow, the pro bowl..Ask Mcnabb what the pro bowl did for him?

:lol at someone who thinks a moderate $ solid reciever = a high priced elite reciever..solid recievers are a dime a dozen, this is the NFL..

Blake
04-15-2010, 01:53 PM
Wow, the pro bowl..Ask Mcnabb what the pro bowl did for him?

:lol at someone who thinks a moderate $ solid reciever = a high priced elite reciever..solid recievers are a dime a dozen, this is the NFL..

:lol :lol at someone who keeps failing at reading...... and spelling

bostonguy
04-15-2010, 02:03 PM
just how do you figure the Pats are still "the" team in the AFC East?
You listed off more than enough reasons why the team is on the decline and why their door of opportunity in closing fast.

The AFC East will be tough. Pats arent a lock to win it either. I am just saying counting them out this early is foolish. We still have the draft and the rest of the offseason to go through. Then the games have to be played and we will see what unfolds.

dirk4mvp
04-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Brandon Marshall catching 21 passes in a game doesn't guarantee a win. Ask the Broncos.

tbh the only reason he had 21 catches is cuz he was being held by Tim fucking Jennings and at times a rookie.

However, Marshall win lead the Dolphins to win the AFC East, imho.

san antonio spurs
04-15-2010, 06:20 PM
I don't get it either. NE absolutely should have been trying to get this guy. This move is better than every move the Jets have made, by a mile.
It's not about the two second round picks, it's about the 47.5 millions he's getting. No way NE gives him that

monosylab1k
04-15-2010, 06:37 PM
It's not about the two second round picks, it's about the 47.5 millions he's getting. No way NE gives him that

I don't see why not. Randy Moss is coming off the books after this season, they won't give him money because of his age. Who out there could be a better replacement?

Blake
04-15-2010, 08:35 PM
However, Marshall win lead the Dolphins to win the AFC East, imho.

doubtul, but duly noted

gaKNOW!blee
04-15-2010, 08:47 PM

Yeah, The Cardinals obviously go to the super bowl without Larry Fitzgeralds crazy playoff performance.

monosylab1k
04-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Yeah, The Cardinals obviously go to the super bowl without Larry Fitzgeralds crazy playoff performance.

Larry Fitzgerald doesn't even sniff the playoffs if Matt Leinart was QB.

Blake
04-15-2010, 09:00 PM

Plenty of pieces help teams get there at different times of the year, to be sure...but during the course of the entire season, the Cards do not get to the playoffs if not for Kurt Warner's comeback season.

It'll be interesting to see how Fitz and Boldin do with Leinart back there instead.

Blake
04-15-2010, 09:01 PM

eh, just beat me

gaKNOW!blee
04-15-2010, 09:19 PM

This is true. Im not arguing WR's are more important that QB's (the most important position in all of sports), but an elite one can really make a difference.

Obstructed_View
04-15-2010, 09:45 PM
I'm sure the Broncos are still dancing for getting two second round picks for that cancer.

san antonio spurs
04-15-2010, 10:00 PM
I don't see why not. Randy Moss is coming off the books after this season, they won't give him money because of his age. Who out there could be a better replacement?
Are you new to BB thinking process? No WR is worth that money and I agree, especially now with all the needs. NE is built through the draft and thought to be washed up FA. A high priced and headcase FA is not patriots material. I still don't think it's a good move for the Dolphins to overpay a WR

san antonio spurs
04-15-2010, 10:00 PM
I'm sure the Broncos are still dancing for getting two second round picks for that cancer.

Exactly.

monosylab1k
04-15-2010, 10:04 PM
Are you new to BB thinking process? No WR is worth that money and I agree, especially now with all the needs. NE is built through the draft and thought to be washed up FA. A high priced and headcase FA is not patriots material. I still don't think it's a good move for the Dolphins to overpay a WR

Belichick's greatest asset was his ability to stay ahead of the curve. honestly the Patriots are in quick decline and the main reason is a shocking lack of playmakers. If Belichick wants to waste the final years of Brady's prime rebuilding through the draft, good for him. We'll have a badass defense right at the time we need a new franchise QB.

At this point the script has to be changed. Spend like crazy to keep big pieces around Brady, and use draft picks to keep complementary players in place. The window stays open as long as Brady is around. Belichick knows this better than anybody. He may survive one year without Brady (even then they still missed the playoffs), but he's smart enough to know this team will face a few years of being down after Brady is gone.

Goran Dragic
04-15-2010, 10:07 PM

Yup, Marshall is what New England needs, a receiver who can actually break a tackle and make a play after the catch. That big receiver on Illinois basically has a ceiling of what Marshall is right now, so why not trade that 2nd round pick for someone he might turn into?

Goran Dragic
04-15-2010, 10:11 PM
Belichick's greatest asset was his ability to stay ahead of the curve. honestly the Patriots are in quick decline and the main reason is a shocking lack of playmakers. If Belichick wants to waste the final years of Brady's prime rebuilding through the draft, good for him. We'll have a badass defense right at the time we need a new franchise QB.

At this point the script has to be changed. Spend like crazy to keep big pieces around Brady, and use draft picks to keep complementary players in place. The window stays open as long as Brady is around. Belichick knows this better than anybody. He may survive one year without Brady (even then they still missed the playoffs), but he's smart enough to know this team will face a few years of being down after Brady is gone.

Exactly

The utter lack of playmakers on both sides of the ball (offense in particular) is what led to so many blown leads last year. At halftime good teams realized, oh shit, the only consistent success they have on offense is throwing to Moss and Welker, if we shut those two down their offense will struggle. Marshall and Boldin would have both been great and they wouldn't have had to give up much. The window isn't open much longer it's time to maximize whatever is left in the Brady era.

Goran Dragic
04-15-2010, 10:14 PM
yup..

You act like making Karlos Dansby the highest paid linebacker in NFL history was some kind of genius move, it was moronic to say the least.

san antonio spurs
04-15-2010, 10:16 PM

Maybe you haven't noticed but the rebuilding process started 2 years ago and is almost done. Adding a high priced free agent would put NE backward. It is BB genius ability that allowed NE to rebuild and yet still be competitive. Regarding playmakers issues, some will emerge soon for example Merriweather and Mayo on the defensive end, Vollmer, Edelman and Welker if he comes back the same on the offensive end) and others will be drafted.
Mono, the recipe you're proposing rarely works in the NFL (and has never been used in NE). It's different than the NBA.

PGDynasty24
04-15-2010, 11:01 PM
Going to miss Marshall on my Broncos. But 2 2nd rounders I cant complain. But dolphins your getting a Top 3 receiver who is an absolute beast,he is a game changer and will help you guys out immensly. If you can keep him away from parties at least 2 days of the week I think he will be ok. He's not a bad person,just gets crazy at parties

bostonguy
12-30-2010, 12:21 AM
:lmao Wow @ this thread!

HarlemHeat37
12-30-2010, 01:02 AM
Very happy with this deal..

They said Denver couldn't get good compensation after the Holmes trade and the rumors that there wasn't much interest in Marshall, so 2 2nd round picks is cool with me..

Marshall is now the highest paid WR in NFL history..there's pretty much no way Bowlen was going to pay him that either way, so he was going to be out of Denver regardless..

He's going to be playing in Miami now..there's a good chance he gets himself into trouble there, since that's what he does best..his next "offense" results in a long suspension..

I'm even happier with the deal now, even though the Broncos had a horrible season..Marshall is overrated, he's the highest paid WR in the NFL, and Brandon Lloyd has easily matched his production..

:lol Chad Henne..

gaKNOW!blee
12-30-2010, 11:50 AM
afc east champs, imho.

I share your opinion.

uh guys
don't forget

Dolphins also signed Karlos Dansby :)

Fins acquired the 2 biggest playmakers on the market, 1 on defense and 1 on offense

now, the Fins are thinking about trading Ronnie Brown and Teddy Ginn for some picks and drafting CJ Spiller with the #12 overall pick

plenty of fail in this thread.

but what the fuck was i thinkin saying henne is a probowl type qb??? all i did was talk shit about how much he sucks and then i made it sound good just so it would fit my argument :lol