PDA

View Full Version : We Tank Tonight...

deibero
04-14-2010, 11:35 AM
According to Hollinger's article today on ESPN, the spurs may play young guys today against Dallas and just tank the game.

He has a point.

We dont control our destiny anyways, and its unlikely the Warriors beat the Blazers @ Portland, so even if we win it could just be a wasted effort.

He also says that even if everything goes our way, and we get the 6th seed it will probably be a date against Utah or Phoenix anyways, something the Spurs will rather avoid.

With all that said, im starting to think like him; the spurs will tank tonight and save their energy for the first round against Dallas, instead of possibly playing hard for nothing.

Also, they havent faced us since we started playing much better and i personally see no point of giving them the opportunity to do so before the playoffs.

rascal
04-14-2010, 11:36 AM
Also by losing they are assured to be picking ahead of Portland in the draft.

Fpoonsie
04-14-2010, 11:38 AM
I reeeally wish someone would give an official word on Pop's approach to this game.

I don't wanna waste time/money going to it.

Fpoonsie
04-14-2010, 11:39 AM
ECHO...echooooo...echoooo...echooo

Dirkadirkastan
04-14-2010, 11:41 AM

Excellent point.

nkdlunch
04-14-2010, 11:43 AM
wrong.

by beating mavs and if utah wins, we play utah.

Spurs will play to win tonight. they will not kill themselves to win, but they will play to win tonight.

HarlemHeat37
04-14-2010, 11:44 AM
The Spurs need to win so they can play Utah..I'm pretty sure they'd much rather play Utah than Dallas, especially with Kirilenko out and Boozer playing through an injury now..they also lost Ronnie Brewer, a guy that always hurts the Spurs..

Utah really is the best matchup other than Denver IMO..

ohmwrecker
04-14-2010, 11:46 AM

Do you have to mention this in every thread? Can the Spurs play at least ONE playoff game before we worry about who we are going to draft? Are you grudging on Portland for stealing Batum?
Just shut it down for the playoffs, you goofy bastard.

CIA Pop
04-14-2010, 11:48 AM
I reeeally wish someone would give an official word on Pop's approach to this game.

The day I tell you my approach to anything is the day I walk up to Fabbs and plant a big fat kiss on those things he calls lips.

FalleNxWiZarDx
04-14-2010, 11:50 AM
I feel the SPURS can beat all these teams...... cant wait for the lakers!

Findog
04-14-2010, 11:50 AM

If you don't want to go, I'll take your tickets.

Findog
04-14-2010, 11:51 AM
The Spurs need to win so they can play Utah..I'm pretty sure they'd much rather play Utah than Dallas, especially with Kirilenko out and Boozer playing through an injury now..they also lost Ronnie Brewer, a guy that always hurts the Spurs..

Utah is a DOMINANT home team. They play 11 points better at home than on the road against winning teams. It's much easier to win a game in Dallas than in Salt Lake City. I'm pretty sure the Spurs would rather play Dallas (familiarity with opponent, desire for payback, short air commute times) than Utah.

HarlemHeat37
04-14-2010, 12:04 PM
Utah is a DOMINANT home team. They play 11 points better at home than on the road against winning teams. It's much easier to win a game in Dallas than in Salt Lake City. I'm pretty sure the Spurs would rather play Dallas (familiarity with opponent, desire for payback, short air commute times) than Utah.

Utah is a regular season team, has been for a while..the Spurs match up with them MUCH better than they do with Dallas, there's no question there..they really don't scare me at all..not to say that they wouldn't make the series competitive, they would, but I feel very confident that the Spurs would beat them in a 7-game series..

DesignatedT
04-14-2010, 12:05 PM
Should be Interesting... If we play hard and show our cards and end up losing it could be detrimental for us... Especially if they decide to play their young guys and we play our big guns and end up losing... that would just be disastrous.

then again it depends on whether pop and co. want utah or a chance with phoenix...which i would think is yes...

I guess well find out in 8 hours.

sure would be nice for duncan and manu to get 5 days off before the playoffs though.

Fpoonsie
04-14-2010, 12:12 PM
If you don't want to go, I'll take your tickets.

:lol

I haven't bought them yet, thus, the apprehension.

urunobili
04-14-2010, 12:13 PM
Against UTA the Spurs would lose game one, then take the second and seal the series in 6.

Vs Dallas.... it may be 7 grinder games series...

RiverwalkParade
04-14-2010, 12:23 PM
Sit Duncan, Manu, and Dice

Let Parker and Hill knock the rest of their rust off

Give RJ and Parker a chance to develop some rapport

Experiment with matchups on Dirk

But most important, rest the old guys

lefty
04-14-2010, 12:26 PM
the spurs need to win so they can play utah..i'm pretty sure they'd much rather play utah than dallas, especially with kirilenko out and boozer playing through an injury now..they also lost ronnie brewer, a guy that always hurts the spurs..

Utah really is the best matchup other than denver imo..
+1

jack sommerset
04-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Spews are screwed no matter what. 1st round exit no matter who they play. They suck.

benefactor
04-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Spews are screwed no matter what. 1st round exit no matter who they play. They suck.

Heat fan has officially dipped below Rocket fan...which is pretty low functioning.

cd98
04-14-2010, 12:34 PM
Rockets shouldn't be on a Spurs site. They should be studying up on the draft like the rest of the teams that didn't make the playoffs.

Hard to tell which Spurs team we will see in the playoffs. Will it be the same team that recently beat L.A., Boston, Orlando, Denver, and Cleveland or will it be the team that lost to Memphis and New Jersey and played relatively mediocre all season.

Blackjack
04-14-2010, 12:36 PM
'Spews' . . .

He thinks that's creative and/or degrading. :lol

benefactor
04-14-2010, 12:38 PM
Mavs fans may be douchebags, but Rocket fan embarrasses the whole state every time he opens his mouth.

Muser
04-14-2010, 12:39 PM
You play to win, I don't buy this bullshit about revealing Pops hand to Carlisle. RC has 82 games he can go over to see what plays Pop uses etc.

DesignatedT
04-14-2010, 12:45 PM
You play to win, I don't buy this bullshit about revealing Pops hand to Carlisle. RC has 82 games he can go over to see what plays Pop uses etc.

its more about strategy and matchups between the 2 teams... of course after game 1 carlisle will figure out what pop and company are trying to do... but we could steal the first game... if we show everything were going to do tonight then they know exactly what's coming...

much like the lakers game a couple weeks back.. pop changed his whole game plan that game regarding matchups and etc... he showed his hand to phil and didn't want to see him in the first round.

jack sommerset
04-14-2010, 12:46 PM
Mavs fans may be douchebags, but Rocket fan embarrasses the whole state every time he opens his mouth.

Thanks for info. I'm not a Rocket fan. This site makes you pick a team. Thanks for playing.

Good luck in playoffs Spew fans! You will need it. Maybe Dirk will go down with an injury. It happened before against the Spews in a playoff series. Lets hope so!

benefactor
04-14-2010, 12:52 PM
Oh, I see. In that case, just keep doing what you are doing because you even though your are not a Rockets fan you represent them pretty accurately.

RedRaider
04-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Despite the mental edge the Mavs have against us, I'd still rather play them then the Jazz. I think it's payback time.

Jimcs50
04-14-2010, 12:56 PM

Kirilenko is not out. He is day to day, that means he will play in playoffs.

Utah does not lose at home, Dallas does...we neeed to win one on road to win series...it follows that we want to play Dallas.

DesignatedT
04-14-2010, 12:58 PM
dallas hasn't faced a healthy manu since 2006. I say its payback time. fuck them.

IronMexican

I don't even think that guy has a team. Pretty retarded.

IronMexican
I'm about 10 minutes late.

Fpoonsie
04-14-2010, 01:02 PM
http://yarngasm.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/glasscase.gif

"I'm in a glass cage of [confusion]!!!"

Old School 44
04-14-2010, 01:06 PM
If I am not mistaken win or lose the Spurs are already on the other side of the bracket from the Lakers, so I don't think Pop cares about this game. My bet is he gives some guys off, like Duncan and maybe Ginobili or trots them out for a 1st quarter 5-8 minute jog.

Fpoonsie
04-14-2010, 01:08 PM
If I am not mistaken win or lose the Spurs are already on the other side of the bracket from the Lakers, so I don't think Pop cares about this game. My bet is he gives some guys off, like Duncan and maybe Ginobili or trots them out for a 1st quarter 5-8 minute jog.

You're mistaken.

I know THAT much atleast.

OKC is 8. The only position up for grabs is 6th or 7th.

baseline bum
04-14-2010, 01:08 PM
I think this is a throw-away game. Portland isn't likely to lose to GS at home and you gotta like Phoenix to win and avoid the Lakers side' of the bracket, especially with Boozer out. It seems almost certain that the matchup is going to be Spurs/Mavs, and I'd rather not give them a chance to scout the Spurs close-up right before the series starts. On the flip-side, this game means something for Dallas, since it can lock up homecourt vs Utah in a possible second round matchup.

HarlemHeat37
04-14-2010, 01:09 PM
Kirilenko is not out. He is day to day, that means he will play in playoffs.

Utah does not lose at home, Dallas does...we neeed to win one on road to win series...it follows that we want to play Dallas.

Kirilenko is expected to be out another week or so, and they're saying he doesn't look close to being back..if he does play, he's going to be very limited..

I'd rather face Utah due to matchups, the Spurs matchup a lot better with them as opposed to Dallas..

baseline bum
04-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Thanks for info. I'm not a Rocket fan. This site makes you pick a team. Thanks for playing.

Good luck in playoffs Spew fans! You will need it. Maybe Dirk will go down with an injury. It happened before against the Spews in a playoff series. Lets hope so!

Of course you're not a Rocket fan any more. The team has sucked donkey dick since 1996.

Solid D
04-14-2010, 01:14 PM
Heywood and Butler are new to the mix for the Mavs. If I were Pop, I would see what works and what doesn't against these guys.

Rummpd
04-14-2010, 01:15 PM
Rummpd posted on ESPN in response (4/14/2010 at 2:12 PM) The Spurs for all their injuries have a point differential of a top tier team and rightfully fear no one - as their beatdowns of the Magic, Cavs, Boston and the Lakers all in a 10 day stretch show - with Parker, Hill and Manu (who has played the last month by far better than anyone in West except for Durant) they have the best threesome in the backcourt of ANY team in the NBA and with an inspired Duncan - Blair- and Dice (and an improving Jefferson) they can beat anyone. Fear the Spurs naysayers and Mavs fans!

IronMexican
04-14-2010, 01:22 PM
Hah, I saw this thread again, and read "We Wank tonight".

Solid D
04-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Spurs are in that 7 seed vs. 2, 6 vs. 3 seed bracket track, so there is a decent likelihood the Spurs meet Dallas. Test the matchups.

Beaverfuzz
04-14-2010, 01:25 PM
Play everyone for at least a half but don't overdo it. You don't have to win this game but you don't want to roll over either. Dallas will be playing to win the game, figure might as well make it a game!

Old School 44
04-14-2010, 01:26 PM
You're mistaken.

I know THAT much atleast.

OKC is 8. The only position up for grabs is 6th or 7th.

So do you mean the side of the bracket the Spurs are on?
I thought 1-8, 4-5 are on one side of the bracket.
And 2-7, 3-6 are on the other.

So win or lose, the Spurs will still be on the opposite side of the bracket from the Lakers (1 seed), right? In other words, the only time they can meet the Lakers is if they both make it to the Western Conference Finals.

spurs50_
04-14-2010, 01:34 PM
who picks first if we end up with the same record as the celtics?

cd98
04-14-2010, 01:46 PM
I think this is a throw-away game. Portland isn't likely to lose to GS at home and you gotta like Phoenix to win and avoid the Lakers side' of the bracket, especially with Boozer out. It seems almost certain that the matchup is going to be Spurs/Mavs, and I'd rather not give them a chance to scout the Spurs close-up right before the series starts. On the flip-side, this game means something for Dallas, since it can lock up homecourt vs Utah in a possible second round matchup.

Don't be so sure on GS. They have a bunch of guys looking for NBA jobs next season. Expect them to come to play. Given their record, they probably don't win, but they do have something to play for.

Fpoonsie
04-14-2010, 01:52 PM
So do you mean the side of the bracket the Spurs are on?
I thought 1-8, 4-5 are on one side of the bracket.
And 2-7, 3-6 are on the other.

So win or lose, the Spurs will still be on the opposite side of the bracket from the Lakers (1 seed), right? In other words, the only time they can meet the Lakers is if they both make it to the Western Conference Finals.

I was under the impression you meant they were on the other side of the Lakers (8 seed). Yeah, I think you're right about the layout.

jjktkk
04-14-2010, 01:59 PM

Hope this helps Fpoonsie: http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=5087206

Bruno
04-14-2010, 02:31 PM
I'm not sure Mavs will try to win this game. The 2nd seed is nice but facing Portland (likely without Roy) instead of SA seems nicer.

NFGIII
04-14-2010, 02:31 PM

Agreed. Denver and Utah are the best 1st rounds opponents as of now. After that I would go with LAL since Bynum would be rusty and Kobe just isn't Kobe rught now. He is so banged up and hasn't really gotten into the flow lately. That could and probably will change but I'd rather get them now than later. Just my gut feeling though. There are many cons to getting them in the first round, too.

Kirilenko is expected to be out another week or so, and they're saying he doesn't look close to being back..if he does play, he's going to be very limited..

I'd rather face Utah due to matchups, the Spurs matchup a lot better with them as opposed to Dallas..

Boozer hurting - Kirilenko out or a question mark ar best (being polite and diplomatic) - Brewer out - looks like a good matchup for the Spurs. Why would anyone want another opponent with these types of injuries effecting the Jazz? Injuries are an unfortunate but unavoidable part of the game. Get Utah and jump all over them. Win in 6 or better yet in 5/sweep and get some rest.

Spurs are in that 7 seed vs. 2, 6 vs. 3 seed bracket track, so there is a decent likelihood the Spurs meet Dallas. Test the matchups.

Good point. See what it takes to beat them so if/when they meet you have some sort of plan of attack against them. And the odds are pretty much in favor of the Spurs meeting the Mavs in round one.

NFGIII
04-14-2010, 02:40 PM
I'm not sure Mavs will try to win this game. The 2nd seed is nice but facing Portland (likely without Roy) instead of SA seems nicer.

:tu If I were the Mavs I would want to play the Trailblazers at 1/2 strength rather than the Spurs at full. No brainer IMHO.

As I implied and HH37 stated earlier it is in the interest of all teams to get the best and most favorable matchup possible. To think otherwise is just insane or foolish. You never know what is going to happen come playoff time. Teams get hot and players get injured. Ebbs and flows of this sort are all part of the game so position your team accordingly, if possible. All you have to do is look what happened to the Mavs in '07 to understand this.

Fpoonsie
04-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Hope this helps Fpoonsie: http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=5087206

Thanks, bud.

Of course, as soon as I see that, here comes Bruno.

:bang

Shank
04-14-2010, 02:42 PM

But if the Mavs get past the first round matchup with the Blazers, they'd concede HCA in the 2nd to the Jazz (assuming the higher seeds win). Tricky.

Fpoonsie
04-14-2010, 02:47 PM
Fuck it.

I'm goin. I'll be there w/ a Mav fan buddy of mine in section 3-0-somethin, nervous as fuck.

nowhereman523
04-14-2010, 02:54 PM

as a mavs fan, i concur

Bruno
04-14-2010, 02:54 PM
But if the Mavs get past the first round matchup with the Blazers, they'd concede HCA in the 2nd to the Jazz (assuming the higher seeds win). Tricky.

Jazz series against Spurs should be more difficult than Mavs' one against Blazers. Jazz will have the HCA but they should be more tired. Spurs can also very well beat Jazz.

jack0fspeed
04-14-2010, 03:03 PM
I predict both teams will play as if this were a playoff game.

Budkin
04-14-2010, 04:54 PM

"Spews?" That doesn't even make sense... in any context. Bad try but failure.

Dirkadirkastan
04-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Spurts, squirts, sperms.

DPG21920
04-14-2010, 06:57 PM
That is what I was thinking. Even if the Mavs give up the 2nd seed, it is likely they will still have H.C. in the 2nd round. Spurs can beat the Jazz, although it will be tough.

I think the benefit of an easy first round is worth it, but I don't see Dallas giving up the 2nd seed on purpose.

baseline bum
04-14-2010, 07:12 PM

I knew Pop would consider it a throw-away game too.

DPG21920
04-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Questionable move by Pop.

Brazil
04-14-2010, 08:12 PM
I predict both teams will play as if this were a playoff game.

good call lol

nkdlunch
04-14-2010, 08:25 PM
Pop fucked up. Now Hill is done

Spurs Brazil
04-14-2010, 09:15 PM
BEST NEWS OF THE NIGHT

Mason last regular season game in Spurs uniform

SenorSpur
04-14-2010, 09:18 PM
BEST NEWS OF THE NIGHT

Mason last regular season game in Spurs uniform

Wow!

He is chucking up the 3's at a very poor percentage, isn't he?

nkdlunch
04-14-2010, 09:18 PM
good call OP

props

SenorSpur
04-14-2010, 09:21 PM

That was the hidden benefit that I kept in the back of my mind.