PDA

View Full Version : ESPNBoston: Rivers may leave the team after season ends

lefty
04-14-2010, 01:42 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=5085789&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

Boston Celtics coach Doc Rivers is leaning toward leaving the team after this season, sources told the Boston Herald, but he told the newspaper Tuesday that no final decision had been made about his future.

There had been rumors in seasons past about the 48-year-old Rivers stepping down, and once again it's the tug of his family life -- not another NBA coaching opportunity -- that may pull him away.

His son Jeremiah will be a senior on the Indiana basketball team this fall. His daughter, Callie, will enter her final season as a volleyball star at Florida. And son Austin, an elite basketball prospect, will be entering his senior year in high school.

"Part of it is true," Rivers told the Herald. "Every year I sit down in the middle of the summer and I have a family discussion. We talk about what we want to do. That's nothing new, but every year it gets stronger and stronger. And I think people are making some common-sense reads. I've got three seniors next year, two in college and one in high school. That's important to me. We're all family men. We all have kids.

bostonguy
04-14-2010, 02:15 PM
In translation...."This team's window is shut and there is no point being here for the rebuilding process". Sucks we still have KG under contract for a few more years. Pierce will be an expiring next season. Allen will be a FA this summer.

TheManFromAcme
04-14-2010, 02:20 PM
In that aspect, I respect Doc. You ALWAYS pic family first. If he leaves for that reason and that reason alone, I salute him. :toast

Your going to have those that will read too much into this and suggest that he is leaving just when the window in Bean town seems to be closing.

He's a family man. That's tops in my book. :tu

TheManFromAcme
04-14-2010, 02:21 PM
In translation...."This team's window is shut and there is no point being here for the rebuilding process". Sucks we still have KG under contract for a few more years. Pierce will be an expiring next season. Allen will be a FA this summer.

I really believe him possibly leaving the Celts for family sake is legit. You don't? Why?

baseline bum
04-14-2010, 02:25 PM
I can't wait to see Simmons blame this one on Rasheed too.

bostonguy
04-14-2010, 02:30 PM
I really believe him possibly leaving the Celts for family sake is legit. You don't? Why?

I believe family is part of the reason. Where the celts are and the direction they are heading in makes this decision a lot easier.

I am not mad at him if he decides to jump out of this sinking ship and enjoy life with the family.

sribb43
04-14-2010, 05:14 PM
Rivers is the first to jump ship

TheMACHINE
04-14-2010, 07:33 PM
all good. One championship ring for the celtics is worth it. 20 years of crap, put it all down for a ring and now back to another 20 years of crap.

duncan228
04-15-2010, 01:24 AM
Doc Rivers Refutes Rumors He's Leaving (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/04/14/doc-rivers-refutes-rumors-hes-leaving/)
By Robert Karpeles

Celtics coach Doc Rivers on Wednesday refuted a Boston Herald (http://bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1247081&srvc=sports&position=2) story that he is packing his bags at the end of the season.

The Herald article reported that "It is quite possible Doc Rivers is nearing the end of his run as coach of the Celtics. Sources have told the Herald that he is leaning toward leaving the bench after this season, but Rivers insisted yesterday no final decision has been made."

The Celtics coach, however, told the Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2010/04/rivers_its_a_no.html) Wednesday afternoon that the rumors are not true. "Like I said, it's a non-story. Nothing new," Rivers said. "Same as after the last three seasons."

Rivers has one year left on his contract. Each summer, Rivers said he sits down with his family to discuss his future.

After winning the NBA title in 2008 the Celtics have been plagued with injuries. The loss of 13-time NBA All-Star Kevin Garnett may have cost the Celtics in last year's playoffs.

This year, the Celtics have dealt with an array of injuries, Ray Allen trade rumors and received minimal production from offseason acquisition Rasheed Wallace. Rivers has also called out his team's effort on numerous occasions. The Celtics will enter the playoffs this weekend as the fourth seed in the Eastern Conference.

lefty
05-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Bump

I believe he lied in order to motivate his players

Venti Quattro
05-24-2010, 07:50 PM
Phil is doing this, why isn't Bynum motivated at all?

Why is the Lakers bench not motivated at all?

:lmao

lefty
05-24-2010, 08:22 PM
Bingo. Pop should have done the same.
Naah, it would have failed

We suck

Venti Quattro
05-24-2010, 08:27 PM
Son, you can get more life out of a turnip than you can Bynum. Watch, when he has a lucky 15/8 game, his supporters will come in droves.
And his 12 million per year/50 million contract can be justified again :lmao

LnGrrrR
05-24-2010, 10:17 PM

Hey, he got us a championship... and even if we don't win one this year, I still think he's earned the rights to go out how he wishes. Can't wish ill on him.