PDA

View Full Version : Spurs coach: 'If it's Dallas, it's Dallas'

duncan228
04-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Spurs coach: 'If it's Dallas, it's Dallas' (http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=5087206)
By Tim MacMahon
ESPNDallas.com

DALLAS -- San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said he has no interest in trying to dictate Western Conference playoff seedings by resting starters during Wednesday night's regular-season finale against the Dallas Mavericks.

A Spurs loss would guarantee that the Interstate 35 rivals would meet in the first round for the second consecutive season. The Mavs would be the second seed and the Spurs the seventh.

"We just go into the game to play it," Popovich said after the Spurs' morning shootaround at American Airlines Center. "There are other factors that help determine what seed you're going to be that you don't control, so the best thing to do is just continue to try to be the best team you can be by the time the playoffs start.

"If it's Dallas, it's Dallas. If it's somebody else, it's somebody else. You really can't control everything, so there's no sense trying. Just do your best. That's what you can control."

If the Spurs win, several scenarios are possible. San Antonio needs the Portland Trail Blazers to lose at home to the Golden State Warriors to move up to the sixth seed.

If the Mavs lose, they'd leave the door open for the Utah Jazz to seize the second seed by beating the Phoenix Suns at home. The Jazz swept the season series against the Spurs, who are 1-2 against the Mavs.

The Suns would be the third seed if they beat the Jazz.

The Mavs, who expect Caron Butler to return after missing a game with a strained right hip flexor, are determined the finish the regular season with a five-game winning streak and clinch the highest possible seed.

"It's an important game for seeding and all that," Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle said. "It's a game we want to play well and win."

phyzik
04-14-2010, 03:29 PM
I call bullshit. Everyone on the team is going to play just like against the Timberwolves and our starters will get less than 25 minutes.

Jimcs50
04-14-2010, 03:32 PM
Guess that means Pop will not rest players.

Fabbs
04-14-2010, 03:37 PM
This after a week ago he proclaimed what a scardy cat he was of facing the Lakers.
B.S. indeed.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-14-2010, 03:37 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b381/livindeadboi/JB/Rocky/bb745.jpg
"If it's Dallas...it's Dallas."

AFBlue
04-14-2010, 03:59 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b381/livindeadboi/JB/Rocky/bb745.jpg
"If it's Dallas...it's Dallas."

"I'm going to break you"

Love it!

wildbill2u
04-14-2010, 04:14 PM
I was amazed and then pissed off when I opened up the Yahoo game central program during the Timberwolves game and saw Pop had all the bench player out on the floor and only a 6 pt. lead.

As the game went on, I calmed down and we won going away with a bunch of the bench warmers in double figures.

Some of these guys can play too in the right situation. But I wish Pop had experimented during the early part of regular season.

No telling what he might do tonight.

xellos88330
04-14-2010, 04:15 PM
Go spurs go!

FromWayDowntown
04-14-2010, 04:30 PM
After all these years, Gregg Popovich still can't be called by name in a Dallas-area headline? He's left to be generically referred to in the headline as "Spurs coach"?

SenorSpur
04-14-2010, 04:50 PM
This after a week ago he proclaimed what a scardy cat he was of facing the Lakers.
B.S. indeed.

:toast

Almost on cue, Pop issues a statement that totally contradicts his previous one concerning playoff seedings.

benefactor
04-14-2010, 05:13 PM
I call bullshit. Everyone on the team is going to play just like against the Timberwolves and our starters will get less than 25 minutes.
:tu

Cry Havoc
04-14-2010, 05:21 PM
After all these years, Gregg Popovich still can't be called by name in a Dallas-area headline? He's left to be generically referred to in the headline as "Spurs coach"?

You're back!

And you're stealing what I was going to say! :bang

Dex
04-14-2010, 05:51 PM
Really, there's not a good matchup in the bunch in the Western Conference. Even Denver wouldn't be pushovers, and we'd be playing in the Mile High City for as many as four games.

If it's the Mavs, then I say bring 'em on. Time to even the odds.

anakha
04-14-2010, 05:55 PM
But I wish Pop had experimented during the early part of regular season.

You don't consider all those starting lineup variations throughout the season 'experimentation'? :p:

Flux451
04-14-2010, 05:57 PM
I expect to see Mahimi on Haywood. I hope at least.

DesignatedT
04-14-2010, 06:07 PM
mahinmi will pick up 3 fouls in 3 minutes out there against dallas.

nkdlunch
04-14-2010, 06:07 PM
IF the game is close they will play extended minutes. If it's a Mav or Spurs blowout, the other team will shutdown early.

Johnny RIngo
04-14-2010, 06:14 PM

Nothing from the Dallas media surprises me anymore after reading that one Dallas Morning News article that picked Garnett ahead of Duncan for their All-Decade team.

Waps1980
04-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Good game to try some different players on Dirk I say