PDA

View Full Version : Magic’s Howard donates $100K for Haiti relief

duncan228
04-14-2010, 05:05 PM
The money is for the children. Good for him. :tu

Magic’s Howard donates $100K for Haiti relief (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-howard-haitirelief)
By Antonio Gonzalez

Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard has started a fund for at-risk children around the world, beginning with a $100,000 donation for young earthquake victims in Haiti.

The Magic’s All-Star center and teammate Adonal Foyle formed the “The Dwight Howard Fund” announced Wednesday. Howard has tapped Foyle’s Kerosene Lamp Foundation to manage the fund for him.

The fund will start an online fundraising campaign to help match Howard’s contribution for Haiti, with a minimum donation of $2.99.

The January earthquake in Haiti killed a government-estimated 230,000 people and left more than a million homeless in the Caribbean nation.

“I was personally moved to do something international after spending time in South Africa last summer and finding out the impact I can make on kids from a different culture and place,” said Howard, referring to the NBA’s Basketball Without Borders program he participated in. “Haiti seemed like the perfect place to start and a place that really needs the help.

“They were a poor country and then they had the devastating earthquake, so they need a lot of help. There have been a lot of relief efforts in Haiti already but there’s still a lot of work to do there, especially with the children.”

Foyle, who hasn’t played this season but has been touted by Magic coaches as a strong mentor for Howard, was recently inducted into the World Sports Humanitarian Hall of Fame. He founded the Kerosene Lamp Foundation to empower youth to grow into healthy and well-educated adults.

Howard already had established The Dwight D. Howard Foundation, Inc., which helps youths at home through scholarships and community-based programs.

On the Net: www.dwighthowardfund.org

oh crap
04-14-2010, 05:15 PM
100,000 sho is a lot of money for average people. a professional athlete who is a multi-millionaire, that's chump change.

gm5k
04-14-2010, 05:21 PM
100,000 sho is a lot of money for average people. a professional athlete who is a multi-millionaire, that's chump change.

It doesn't make the money he donated have any less impact. Great move by Howard :toast

koriwhat
04-14-2010, 05:53 PM
It doesn't make the money he donated have any less impact. Great move by Howard :toast

agreed. howard is awesome!

redzero
04-14-2010, 06:02 PM
He could have donated $101K.

Greedy, classless, elbowing thug.

nkdlunch
04-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Good job HOward. Every NBA player should do this.

THat being said, if I go out and give $10 to a homeless, I probably gave as much % of my wealth as HOward did.

IronMexican
04-14-2010, 06:04 PM
It doesn't make the money he donated have any less impact.

:tu

That's what no one seems to understand.

Frenzy
04-14-2010, 06:06 PM

Very true. However it comes with being a celeb. Everything is blow out of proportion.

:you giving change (.75) your friend or a strangers knows.

:howard gives change (100,000) and a little more than a few people know.

Cane
04-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Good move by Howard and I don't even like the guy.

DMX7
04-14-2010, 06:34 PM
Do it for the children!

BlackSwordsMan
04-14-2010, 06:51 PM
where's this money going? they'll still live in concrete slabs

PGDynasty24
04-14-2010, 07:07 PM
seriously who cares if he is famous. He didnt HAVE TO do it. 100k from howard still does as much good as 100k from some1 else

The_Dude
04-14-2010, 07:43 PM
How about he donates $100K to the poor here in the USA?