PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Bryant nicknamed him Big Shot Rob

beirmeistr
05-05-2005, 04:09 PM
The magazine article "Big Shot Rob," 6-13-2, by Marty Burns in CNNSI.com explains that Kobe Bryiant used that nickname to describe Horry and that other lakers called him Rob. I've noticed that most TV sportscasters call him BIg Shot Bob in error. sorry---don't have the computer skills to link the article. I tried cut and paste but it didn't work.

ShoogarBear
05-05-2005, 04:11 PM
Ha. I asked this question in chat last night. Some people said it was "Bob", not "Rob". I thought I remembered hearing "Rob" first.

Stuff like this will be important for future trivia generations.

Kori Ellis
05-05-2005, 04:13 PM
Yeah I always remembered it as Big Shot ROB too. That's why this season I questioned everyone saying BOB. The Spurs players all call him Rob too. I don't hear anyone call him Bob in person.

MadDog73
05-05-2005, 04:19 PM
But, but... "Big Shot Bob" sounds so much better! :)

What do TV announcers call him?

Samr
05-05-2005, 04:25 PM
Mandy (Ginofan) officially coined the nickname "RoHo."

So when you hear Sean saying that next season, smile, because you know the story. Trust me, it is going to be BIG ;)

(sources also tell me that RoHo doesn't particularly enjoy the falsified "Bob" part of the nickname)

Horry For 3!
05-05-2005, 04:28 PM
Yeah, the Announcers say Big Shot Bob but it is really Big Shot Rob.

DDS4
05-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Kenny Smith and Ernie Johnson called him Big Shot BOB. You would think Kenny would know.

I don't give a damn what you call him...as long as he makes shots and plays well for the Spurs.

polandprzem
05-05-2005, 04:48 PM
That's why I was laughing when some one shouted in here BIG SHOT BOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He was always Rob I I wanted to ask you who called him firs the BOB

PM5K
05-05-2005, 04:58 PM
It's Rob, Bob sounds so homosexual, not that there's anything wrong with that....

beirmeistr
05-05-2005, 05:30 PM
So we have a Big Shot Rob and a Big Dog Rob

2centsworth
05-05-2005, 05:49 PM
changing his name to Bob is symbolic of the transformation he goes through in the playoffs. He's a totally different person.

whottt
05-05-2005, 06:22 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/marty_burns/news/2002/06/12/burns_horry/

I've had people always telling me it was big shot bob too...including some LakerFans...I finally gave up on it...

But here's the story where he was first given the nick name...

Big shot Rob it is...

'Big Shot Rob'

Lakers appreciate Horry's many unsung contributions
Posted: Thursday June 13, 2002 2:51 AM

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- The Lakers had just swept the Nets to win the NBA title Wednesday when Lakers forward Robert Horry pulled aside teammates Shaquille O’Neal and Brian Shaw for a quick history lesson.

According to Shaw, Horry told them that before Wednesday there had been only five players in NBA history who had been members of two teams involved in Finals sweeps.

With their triumph over New Jersey in Game 4, Horry informed them, that select group had now been expanded by two: Shaw and O’Neal, teammates on the Magic team that got swept by Horry’s Rockets in 1995.

"But then he reminded us that there was only one guy who was on the right side both times," Shaw said with a chuckle before providing the answer. "Him."

Who can blame the normally modest-to-a-fault Horry for tooting his own horn a little? After all, he might be as responsible as Shaq and Kobe for the Lakers’ three-peat. Had Horry not slayed the Kings with that buzzer-beating 3-pointer in Game 4 of the Western Conference finals, L.A. might never have made it to the Finals.

"That’s Big Shot Rob," a jubilant Kobe Bryant said. "When the game’s on the line, he’s going to get us kick-started."

One for the Thumb
Players with five championship rings
Player Team(s), Seasons
Michael Cooper Lakers, '80, '82, '85, '87-88
Robert Horry Rockets, '94-95; Lakers, '00-02
Magic Johnson Lakers, '80, '82, '85, '87-88
Slater Martin Lakers, '49, '52-54; Hawks, '58
George Mikan Lakers, '49-50, '52-54
Don Nelson Boston, '66, '68-69, '74, '76
Jim Pollard Lakers, '49-50, '52-54
Dennis Rodman Pistons '89-90; Bulls '96-98
Larry Siegfried Celtics, 65-66, '68-69
Click here for the complete list of players with five rings or more.

As the jubilant Lakers sprayed champagne all over one another, Horry’s unsung contributions to their three-peat kept coming up. Through all three titles, the 31-year-old power forward seemingly was always there to hit the big shot, grab the key rebound, make the right entry pass and do the little things needed to set up the superstars.

"There are a lot of people who don’t have the ability to walk down the street," shrugged Horry, the father of a handicapped daughter. "I’m just glad God gave me the ability to walk down the street, [let alone] make shots."

Horry’s contributions in L.A.’s Game 4 clincher against the Nets were similarly modest: 12 points, four rebounds and six assists in 44 minutes. His defense wasn’t anything special. Nets forward Kenyon Martin torched him several times on the way to a game-high 35 points.

But, as has been the case so often in his pro career, Horry was there when it counted. He scored seven points during the Lakers' key third-quarter run when they took control and put the Nets on their heels.

He hit a 3-pointer from the corner to give L.A. its first lead of the second half at 64-63. Then he put the ball on the floor, drawing a foul that resulted in two free throws and a 69-67 Lakers lead. Finally, in a play that was typical Horry, he found himself with the ball in the low post after a scrambled Lakers possession. Aware that the shot clock was winding down, he backed down Martin and buried a tough 11-foot turnaround jumper for a 71-67 lead.

After 10 NBA seasons and five NBA championships, Horry has learned how to make contributions that don’t show up in the box score. Late in the third, Martin faced up Horry on the side and spun inside toward the rim. As Martin went by him, Horry gave him a little hack on the arm, low and subtle, the kind not often seen by the refs. Martin missed the shot.

"Rob is five-for-five in the Finals," Shaw said. "That in itself says it all. He’s a winner. If I’m in a war or I’m in a fox hole, he’d be one of the first guys I’d pick. He’ll make big plays and big shots. He’s very humble and unassuming. He’s probably the most respected guy on the team, including Shaq and Kobe, because he is so clutch and he takes care of business."

This year’s Lakers championship will be remembered for Shaq’s dominance and Kobe’s all-around brilliance, but L.A.’s players won’t forget the contributions of their easy-going "Big Shot."

"After Rob salvaged Game 4 against Sacramento," Lakers forward Rick Fox said when asked when he knew his team was going to win another title. "With that shot, we were warned that it was time to get things going. After that, we played the way we’ve played the last three years."

Marty Burns covers pro basketball for CNNSI.com. Click here to send Marty a question or comment.

missmyzte
05-05-2005, 07:28 PM
Horry has stated in the past that he hates being called Bob, he really just prefers to keep it simple with "Robert" but Rob is okay. Mandy did coin RoHo, which Horry is "eh" on but doesn't seem to mind (but we like it so we still use it). :)

xcoriate
05-05-2005, 07:32 PM
I've always been one for Big Shot Rob. Bob sounds stupid.

Obstructed_View
05-05-2005, 09:57 PM
Dan Patrick called him big shot Bob on Sportscenter tonight.

Tek_XX
05-05-2005, 10:44 PM
He doesn't look like a BOB

ca®lo
05-06-2005, 04:15 AM
for goodness sakes it should be ROB not BOB :)

sa_butta
05-06-2005, 08:44 AM
Horry has stated in the past that he hates being called Bob, he really just prefers to keep it simple with "Robert" but Rob is okay. Mandy did coin RoHo, which Horry is "eh" on but doesn't seem to mind (but we like it so we still use it). :)I heard this as well they used to call him Big shot Bob but did not like being called Bob. He prefers Rob.

Ginofan
05-06-2005, 09:10 AM
Okay I admit I was a bit shocked that Rob knew we (the small group I game-chat with) called him RoHo, and even if he was all "ehh I don't know" about it, it was still kind of fun to think he must read the internet alot to know that people were calling him that.

I like "Big Shot Rob" but usually I just end up saying "Robert Effin' Horry!!!" after he makes a huge shot :lol

2centsworth
05-06-2005, 11:38 AM
Robert Horry Sucks, this Bob character kicks ass.

sa_butta
05-06-2005, 12:36 PM
call him what ever you want as long as he is hitting
from beyond the arc, its all gravy.

Binji
05-06-2005, 03:25 PM
Bob just doesn't feel right. It's definitely Rob