PDA

View Full Version : Mac and Cheese

RandomGuy
04-14-2010, 07:19 PM
http://www.veganfamilyfavorites.com/images/entrees/macaroni-cheese-large.jpg

Utlimate comfort food or favorite guilty pleasure?

Are people who dont' like mac and cheese communists or just plain evil?

Can you add anything to it to make it better? :spam:

Discuss.

oh crap
04-14-2010, 07:31 PM
Utlimate comfort food or favorite guilty pleasure?

oh yeah. a friend of mine has a recipe that includes ham, bacon and gouda cheese amongst other ingredients. fucking addicting

exstatic
04-14-2010, 08:13 PM
I love home made Mac'n'Cheese, but despise the shit out of the box.

mrsmaalox
04-14-2010, 09:06 PM
I can't stand mac and cheese, homemade, storebought, or with additives.

monosylab1k
04-14-2010, 10:15 PM
I love any and all mac n cheese. I'll even eat the generic box versions and love em. The microwave TV dinner mac n cheese is definitely the worst, but I'll even eat that and be satisfied.

xellos88330
04-15-2010, 01:27 AM
Bacon, Sausage, Hot Dogs works good with mac and cheese.

DesignatedT
04-15-2010, 02:05 AM
chili-mac

admiralsnackbar
04-15-2010, 03:04 AM
This (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/baked-macaroni-and-cheese-recipe/index.html) recipe is great.

symple19
04-15-2010, 03:19 AM
Mac & Cheese is glorious. My mom made the best stuff ever, triple layered w/ cheese. You could feel your arteries clogging while you ate it. Awesome

ChumpDumper
04-15-2010, 03:57 AM
That Kraft Deluxe stuff was the only M&C I ever ate on its own. That powder bullshit is for people who are poorer than I am.

It's all really salty to me now though. Have to wake up in the middle of the night to rehydrate if I eat it like I used to (the whole box).

exstatic
04-15-2010, 07:29 AM
If you MUST eat the box stuff, the best way to prepare it is to do the sauce separately in a large glass measuring cup. Put the liquid ingredients into measuring cup and put it in the microwave, heat it for like 1 minute, then add the powdered cheese stuff. Stir well, and heat up a bit more if needed to thicken the sauce just a bit. Pour over the cooked macaroni and stir, then serve.

If you prepare it per the instructions on the box, doing everything in the sauce pan, you wind up with a bunch of yellow/orange macaroni and NO FUCKING SAUCE. The cooked macaroni absorbs the milk almost immediately, and the powdered cheese is just like powder coating color at that point.

bus driver
04-15-2010, 08:39 AM
This (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/baked-macaroni-and-cheese-recipe/index.html) recipe is great.

THANKS!:tu

CuckingFunt
04-15-2010, 09:34 AM
The best way to make the box stuff is actually to halve the butter, but use fat free half & half in place of the milk.

phyzik
04-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Try the Mac and Cheese at the Yardhouse. That shit is amazing.

chicken breast, applewood smoked bacon, wild mushrooms, cheddar and parmesan with campanelle pasta and white truffle oil

bus driver
04-15-2010, 09:52 AM
Try the Mac and Cheese at the Yardhouse. That shit is amazing.

chicken breast, applewood smoked bacon, wild mushrooms, cheddar and parmesan with campanelle pasta and white truffle oil

i second this!

balli
04-15-2010, 10:22 AM
I love home made Mac'n'Cheese, but despise the shit out of the box.

this. I wouldn't eat Kraft macaroni unless I was literally starving. No matter how it was prepared.

Love the stuff otherwise.

EmptyMan
04-15-2010, 10:23 AM
Mac and Cheese + Beanie Weenies is the shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

admiralsnackbar
04-15-2010, 02:10 PM
THANKS!:tu

I skip the panko and just spread grated cheddar on top. Also had some success adding a tsp or more of cayenne, 2-3 tbs dehydrated onion flakes in addition to the fresh onion (the flakes reconstitute slowly enough that you get some crisp onion in every bite), and 1-2 cups frozen veggies of your liking (I dig the calabazita mix you can find at HEB).

If you're feeling ambitious, you can also get a honey-baked ham and, cutting from the end that isn't spiral-sliced, carve out about 1-2 cups worth of ham cubes. Toss them in about 1 tbs your favorite chili powder (I've really come to enjoy the mix made by The Spice Hunter brand -- lots of cocoa and smoked pepper flavor) and 1 tsp of cayenne. Throw the mix into an oven-safe dish and broil for 5 minutes to render out the fat, then remove the dish, add about 1/2 cup of brown sugar, and stir it all together. Broil that for another 3-5 minutes, then set aside to cool for a bit. With a slotted spoon, pull out the candied ham and add it to the mornaise sauce in the recipe, stir it up, and add to the mac before it goes back in the oven. Made that with the Easter leftovers and it was gone entirely too soon.

bigzak25
04-15-2010, 02:32 PM
upgrade!

https://ssl101.webhosting.optonline.net/peachsamericanfoods.com/merchantmanager/images/uploads/velveetashellscheese.jpg

leemajors
04-15-2010, 02:37 PM
tbh the best way to make the box mac n cheese good is to double the amount of butter.

adding goat cheese or Gruyere also works quite well.

benefactor
04-15-2010, 02:59 PM
upgrade!

https://ssl101.webhosting.optonline.net/peachsamericanfoods.com/merchantmanager/images/uploads/velveetashellscheese.jpg
This is just about the best box mac and cheese out there.

I will cancel most of the plans I have to drive to my parents(30 min away) if my mom says she is making homemade mac and cheese.

JudynTX
04-15-2010, 03:46 PM
upgrade!

:tu That's good stuff.

Mixability
04-15-2010, 03:49 PM
I loved mac and cheese when i was little, but i can't remember the last time i've had it.

CuckingFunt
04-15-2010, 04:14 PM
Velveeta is horrible. Both their mac & cheese and in general.

Horrible.

Fpoonsie
04-15-2010, 05:06 PM
I love any and all mac n cheese. I'll even eat the generic box versions and love em. The microwave TV dinner mac n cheese is definitely the worst, but I'll even eat that and be satisfied.

Troof.

RandomGuy
04-15-2010, 11:43 PM
I can't stand mac and cheese, homemade, storebought, or with additives.

Hmm. Would you say you were more of a communist, or simply evil? :p:

phyzik
04-16-2010, 12:56 AM
Velveeta is horrible. Both their mac & cheese and in general.

Horrible.

If I believed in any religion, I would label you the definate anti-christ.

TheProfessor
04-16-2010, 11:05 AM
adding goat cheese or Gruyere also works quite well.
I add both, some bacon, and then panko breading on top.

mrsmaalox
04-16-2010, 11:11 AM
Hmm. Would you say you were more of a communist, or simply evil? :p:

Well, I don't feel like a communist! :devil

bigzak25
04-16-2010, 11:43 AM
blasphemy funt!

without velveeta and her little friend rotel, there would be no queso to go with the chips!

and if you don't like chips and queso, you best steer clear of san antonio on the way to nola!

RandomGuy
04-16-2010, 12:06 PM
If you MUST eat the box stuff, the best way to prepare it is to do the sauce separately in a large glass measuring cup. Put the liquid ingredients into measuring cup and put it in the microwave, heat it for like 1 minute, then add the powdered cheese stuff. Stir well, and heat up a bit more if needed to thicken the sauce just a bit. Pour over the cooked macaroni and stir, then serve.

If you prepare it per the instructions on the box, doing everything in the sauce pan, you wind up with a bunch of yellow/orange macaroni and NO FUCKING SAUCE. The cooked macaroni absorbs the milk almost immediately, and the powdered cheese is just like powder coating color at that point.

My solution to this problem is to get the butter into the pan first, and mix it in with the really hot macaroni until it all melts, then add the milk, then the cheese powder.

The butter will coat the macaroni in non water-soluable oils, so that the noodles can't absorb the water in the milk.

RandomGuy
04-16-2010, 12:07 PM
Well, I don't feel like a communist! :devil

Ever tried any homemade recipes?

It is possible to make some pretty decent ones.

Dex
04-16-2010, 12:09 PM
One time my sister made a pot of Mac & Cheese. Then ate it straight out of the pot. Straight off the living room carpet watching TV.

My parents were none too pleased with the hole in the rug.