PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix is LOOKING GOOD..Spurs/Mavs winner is

Amarelooms
04-14-2010, 11:22 PM
in big trouble...they are going to kill eachother and then be out of gas against a well rested Suns team

I wouldnt be surprised to see a Suns vs Lakers WCF

:elephant

ChrisRichards
04-14-2010, 11:29 PM
Agree. Suns looks like a Championship contender out there tonight. Fighting for every possession, boxing out and playing solid defense.

lurker
04-14-2010, 11:35 PM
Any chance Robin will be back for first/second round of the playoffs or is he done for the season?

sribb43
04-14-2010, 11:37 PM
Nash will triple double the Mavs

badfish22
04-14-2010, 11:40 PM
If Suns win this they get the third seed correct?

Bring em on. First the Spurs, than the suns? This is how the West playoffs are supposed to go.

sribb43
04-14-2010, 11:44 PM
If Suns win this they get the third seed correct?

Bring em on. First the Spurs, than the suns? This is how the West playoffs are supposed to go.

It's 2006 all over again

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-15-2010, 12:00 AM
Robin returns at the earliest in the 2nd round, but my money is on him not returning at all. Portland w/o Roy should be a win for Phoenix. The winner of SA/Dallas vs. Phoenix will be tough but it's something Phoenix is more than capable of. The only way Phoenix makes the finals is if OKC or Utah/Denver knocks LA off for us. They're not beating LA without Lopez.

pauls931
04-15-2010, 12:04 AM
I'm morbidly curious how the Jazz/Denver series will turn out. Normally it's an automagic win for the Jazz, but they'll be the road team.

BlackSwordsMan
04-15-2010, 12:36 AM
suns always find a way to lose to the spurs
easy sailing when they beat the mavs and face utah in the end

Amarelooms
04-15-2010, 12:44 AM
suns always find a way to lose to the spurs
easy sailing when they beat the mavs and face utah in the end

Utah probably can't beat Denver and no way either Denver/Utah get past LA :elephant

BlackSwordsMan
04-15-2010, 01:00 AM
so everything else is correct?

Bob Lanier
04-15-2010, 01:03 AM
Phoenix is looking good enough to beat anyone in the West other than the Lakers and Mavs, but the lesser Collins brother and Charmin Frye in the middle (or D'Antoni-style smallball with Amarė at center) could shatter that pretty quick.

Xylus
04-15-2010, 01:07 AM
Phoenix is looking good enough to beat anyone in the West other than the Lakers and Mavs, but the lesser Collins brother and Charmin Frye in the middle (or D'Antoni-style smallball with Amarė at center) could shatter that pretty quick.

The Suns are good enough to beat the Mavs, but they really need Robin Lopez back to do so. The Mavs have too much size, Haywood would eat the Suns ALIVE.

Borosai
04-15-2010, 01:09 AM
Mavs --> Suns --> Lakers --> ? --> CHAMPIONSHIP!

Now that would be a nice run.

EmptyMan
04-15-2010, 10:21 AM
PHX IS looking good. I'm almost happy for them. They have suffered enough.

They are beasting right now.

DPG21920
04-15-2010, 10:24 AM
They are playing the best ball in the league right now.

Ghazi
04-15-2010, 10:24 AM
If we beat the Spurs, we'll beat the Suns.

Spurs are better than the Suns IMO.

in2deep
04-15-2010, 10:48 AM
I think Mavs/Spurs have already their hands full in round 1. no reason to think of round 2

Pelicans78
04-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Lakers have an easy road now to the WCFs. No Spurs or Mavs in the way.

alchemist
04-15-2010, 11:46 AM
Lakers have an easy road now to the WCFs. No Spurs or Mavs in the way.
:bang cannot fucking believe they caught more breaks this year again...

last season: banged up Jazz, banged up Houston, mentally banged up Denver and a banged up Nelson (Laker killer) in the finals. :ihit

Cane
04-15-2010, 11:48 AM
Can you imagine if Orlando and Phoenix play eachother in the Finals? Two of the best bigs in the league going against eachother in 3-point happy systems.

JMarkJohns
04-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Best case scenario is...

Suns over Portland in 4/5, get some rest
Suns over San Antonio in 5/6, get some rest and gain confidence by slaying the demon
Denver beats Los Angeles in 6, is tired from the series
Suns beat Denver in 5/6 to advance to the Finals

Not gonna happen, but they would have homecourt throughout in this scenario, and beating even a down Spurs team would give them so much confidence that they could become a world beater (until they lose to Cleveland, that is).

Muser
04-15-2010, 11:58 AM
Suns would eat the Spurs lunch. J-Rich won't miss dunks in the PO.

senorglory
04-15-2010, 12:09 PM
pfffft.

LnGrrrR
04-15-2010, 12:10 PM
The Western playoffs are going to be awesome. The Eastern... erm... probably not so much.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-15-2010, 12:17 PM
I honestly think OKC has a better chance at beating LA than Utah or Denver. Billups and Williams are both great PG's but matchup wise Westbrook is the speedy athletic PG who can really give Fisher fits. OKC is weak up front but not much weaker than Denver or Utah. Utah has no one on the perimeter who can defend Kobe, Afflalo does a good job on him but Sefolosha is an elite defender who can turn Kobe into a jump shooter. If LA beats OKC, their almost a lock to get the WCF.

picc84
04-15-2010, 12:27 PM
"Turn" Kobe into a jumpshooter. :lol That man hasn't driven to the rim in 3 years.

Sefo and Afflalo do decent jobs on Kobe, but moreso because he sucks now than they have some secret shut down method.

Ghazi
04-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Is it me or does everyone have a weak frontline except for the Lakers/Mavs in the West

Blazers would be stout with Oden/Przybilla

Nobody else impresses me that much.

Muser
04-15-2010, 12:28 PM
Laker fan saying Kobe sucks? Wow.

Muser
04-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Is it me or does everyone have a weak frontline except for the Lakers/Mavs in the West

Blazers would be stout with Oden/Przybilla

Nobody else impresses me that much.

Phoenix if they get Lopez back.

picc84
04-15-2010, 12:30 PM
Compared to before, yeah.

He'll still shit on those clowns a couple games but he won't be doing what he wants at will like he used to. Not unless he turns back the clock and stops looking like old man Kobe of the past month.

Rummpd
04-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Phoenix if they get Lopez back.

Spurs still got Duncan and a guy named Blair who ate the Mavs bigs for breakfest last night. Mavs guys may be big but Dirk is soft and the others are just big but not talented. LAL has length and skill (as would Portland without injuries).

Muser
04-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Yeah but Blair is pretty damn bad on D, Amare/Gasol/Dirk etc will all take him out back.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-15-2010, 12:40 PM
"Turn" Kobe into a jumpshooter. :lol That man hasn't driven to the rim in 3 years.

Sefo and Afflalo do decent jobs on Kobe, but moreso because he sucks now than they have some secret shut down method.

They keep him off the block and shut his post game down, this year Kobe has been at his best in the post. I phrased it wrong by saying turn him into a jump shooter, I agree he's been a "jump shooter" for awhile now, what I meant to say was they force him into off balance lower percentage jumpers.

picc84
04-15-2010, 12:47 PM
Kobe being in the post is a mistake to begin with, with how the team is constructed. Get a team full of shooters and perimeter threats - THEN put him in the post.

21_Blessings
04-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Looking forward to a Phoenix - LA WCF.

pauls931
04-15-2010, 01:50 PM
I wish the Suns could consistently play like last night. I could barely recognize the team on the defensive end of the court. The help D was phenominal, it was the first time I didn't see Deron take Nash to the woodshed.

21_Blessings
04-15-2010, 02:07 PM
Kobe being in the post is a mistake to begin with, with how the team is constructed. Get a team full of shooters and perimeter threats - THEN put him in the post.

What the fuck are you smoking? Kobe in the post based on the matchup - which is money.

But of course you were the same poster that called Phil an idiot. :lmao

picc84
04-15-2010, 02:36 PM
lol Kobe is in the post almost every possession. Which is a mistake, but hey, are we gonna ride with Kobe in the post passing out to Artest for an open brick, or allow 5.7/3.8 to shoot over triple teams and come down on his own ankle? Phil picks the poison and 21 bynums just swallows it. :hat

Ghazi
04-15-2010, 02:37 PM
lol Kobe is in the post almost every possession. Which is a mistake, but hey, are we gonna ride with Kobe in the post passing out to Artest for an open brick, or allow 5.7/3.8 to shoot over triple teams and come down on his own ankle? Phil picks the poison and 21 bynums just swallows it. :hat

:rollin

LMAO 21_blessings!

LMAO Glassnum 5.7/3.8!

21_Blessings
04-15-2010, 02:58 PM
lol Kobe is in the post almost every possession. Which is a mistake, but hey, are we gonna ride with Kobe in the post passing out to Artest for an open brick

No he's not in the post almost every possession. You're either clueless about basketball or don't actually watch Laker games. Most likely both.

Ghazi
04-15-2010, 02:59 PM
lol @ your avatar... broken down former superstar and 5.7/3.8 :elephant :rofl :lmao :lol

21_Blessings
04-15-2010, 03:02 PM
Keep digging that grave Ghazi.

Ghazi
04-15-2010, 03:03 PM
Collison/Ibaka/Kristic > Bynum :lmao :lmao :lmao :lol

Tom Slick
04-15-2010, 03:03 PM
lol 5.7/3.8

j.dizzle
04-15-2010, 03:19 PM
Sons, I cant wait till Im drinking a nice glass of Remy & watching some games this weekend..The east 1st round is gonna be a fuckin joke..The west playoff series' are all great IMO, cant wait for that shit to start. If phx continues to shoot like this from three, I can see them getting to the WCF..Jared fuckin Dudely is shooting 65% from three in the past 10 games!:wow

badfish22
04-15-2010, 05:49 PM
.Jared fuckin Dudely is shooting 65% from three in the past 10 games!:wow

Dirk is shooting 70% the last 13 games.

boom roasted JMZ.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-15-2010, 07:57 PM
Kobe being in the post is a mistake to begin with

Wow. Just wow. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when LA had all that early season success, was it not in large part due to Kobe beasting in the post?

21_Blessings
04-15-2010, 09:08 PM
Wow. Just wow. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when LA had all that early season success, was it not in large part due to Kobe beasting in the post?

picc44 is the Ghazi of Laker fans. Don't mind his utter lack of basketball IQ.

Ghazi
04-15-2010, 09:09 PM
utter lack of basketball IQ? wouldn't that make him the 21_Blessings of Lakers fans?

LMAO 5.7/3.8!!! :lmao :lmao :lmao

picc84
04-16-2010, 11:25 AM

Sure, he was great in the post. The early season success was due to that, us having a good overall team, and a soft homecourt schedule though. Him in the post worked best back then because Gasol was out and there was spacing with Odom in there with Bynum. When the twin towers are in, its a fail mission because the paint collapses and there are no consistent outside shooters.

Kobe being in the post is good for his individual game because he can score more efficiently from there, but its not the best way for the team to operate. He tends to get tunnel-visioned when he's down there and thinks he has to shoot no matter what. And when he does pass out, who is he passing to?

We have so many post-up players that it would be prudent to allow the ones who can't shoot off a kickout to do it. Kobe is a great perimeter player and the best spot-up shooter on the team, something that goes unnoticed because he has the ball in his hands so much. Artest is an inconsistent one, especially lately. Fisher goes without saying. Gasol and Bynum aren't at all.

Kobe operating from the perimeter helps all of those guys' games out. Kobe in the post primarily helps his own game. Better to do what benefits the team most than to have Kobe shoot a high % but damage the team game.

Thats my piece. Probably about 3 more paragraphs more than a Suns fan is willing to read about the Lakers. :lol

also

CROFL butthurt 5.7/3.8/12.5 million/21 blessings per game :lol

Goran Dragic
04-16-2010, 11:33 AM
It's also my opinion LA is just completely misusing Ron Artest. You watch video of him in Houston he's a way better shooter off the dribble than off the catch. When he's got a favorable match up they should run more plays for him, I figured when they replaced Ariza with him they'd improve by having another perimeter weapon who can create off thr dribble but they haven't showcased that all year.

picc84
04-16-2010, 11:52 AM
Yeah, I know. But heaven forbid anyone criticize mr. 10 rings, lest 21 Bynums come after you with the wrath of 12.5 million angry gods. :downspin:

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-16-2010, 12:15 PM
Na picc I agree completely that Kobe should be used as a spot up shooter a lot more. When he's got the time to line his shot up and step into a balanced shot, he's just as good a shooter as anyone, plus if he played off ball more it'd be less of a grind on his legs. They should run more plays where Artest is handling the ball and Kobe is a spot up shooter, Ariza was great as the off ball compliment to Kobe last year when he couldn't miss as the spot up threat behind the arc. Just like Ariza couldn't replace Ron as the off dribble threat he was in Houston, Ron can't replace the great off ball compliment Ariza was to Kobe.

mavsfan1000
04-16-2010, 02:15 PM
Mavs have no one that can guard Amare. This is a matchup nightmare for us. It's 04-05 all over again. We barely get by San Antonio (was Houston) and lose to 6 against the Suns.

mavsfan1000
04-16-2010, 02:20 PM
It's also my opinion LA is just completely misusing Ron Artest. You watch video of him in Houston he's a way better shooter off the dribble than off the catch. When he's got a favorable match up they should run more plays for him, I figured when they replaced Ariza with him they'd improve by having another perimeter weapon who can create off thr dribble but they haven't showcased that all year.
He's a bad fit because of that. He needs to catch and shoot for the Lakers to be at their best.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-16-2010, 02:23 PM
It's not like 2005 at all, back then the Mavs had no one who could stop Nash OR Amare so they completely shredded Dallas with that pick and roll, and also back then the Suns had a guy in Marion who could do a semi-decent job guarding Dirk. Since Dallas got Kidd Phoenix's pick and roll has been way less effective against them because Kidd is big enough to fight through screens and give Nash trouble seeing the court.

mavsfan1000
04-16-2010, 02:35 PM
It's not like 2005 at all, back then the Mavs had no one who could stop Nash OR Amare so they completely shredded Dallas with that pick and roll, and also back then the Suns had a guy in Marion who could do a semi-decent job guarding Dirk. Since Dallas got Kidd Phoenix's pick and roll has been way less effective against them because Kidd is big enough to fight through screens and give Nash trouble seeing the court.
You think Kidd can keep up with Nash? :lol :bang Wish we still had Harris for matchups like this. Harris could've changed that 04-05 series around as well with his defense on Nash. But Avery kept him on the bench in favor Terry getting heavy minutes. :bang And Marion did not do that great on Dirk. It's just that Amare was more effective. Dampier is not going to be any better at handling Amare through age.

Ghazi
04-16-2010, 02:59 PM
You think Kidd can keep up with Nash? :lol :bang Wish we still had Harris for matchups like this. Harris could've changed that 04-05 series around as well with his defense on Nash. But Avery kept him on the bench in favor Terry getting heavy minutes. :bang And Marion did not do that great on Dirk. It's just that Amare was more effective. Dampier is not going to be any better at handling Amare through age.

Shut the fuck up, Harris blows.

Ghazi
04-16-2010, 03:00 PM
Mavs with Harris this year = 8 seed and steamrolled by LA in 1st round. Motherfucking fact.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-16-2010, 03:04 PM

If you're wondering why all the Mavs fans on this site find you retarded, this is why.

You think Kidd can keep up with Nash? :lol :bang

I'd say he did a decent job "keeping up with" Nash here:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200804060PHO.html

and here:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200901090PHO.html

also this was a decent job (I think):
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200904050DAL.html

finally this one wasn't so bad:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201002170DAL.html

Since they got Kidd, the Mavs are 6-2 against the Suns.

Wish we still had Harris for matchups like this. Harris could've changed that 04-05 series around as well with his defense on Nash.

Yeah, just like Devin Harris' defense on Baron Davis changed the 2006-2007 or how his defense on D-Wade changed the 2006 NBA finals. fyi, the Mavs were about to go up 3-0 on Miami with Adrian Griffin starting and guarding Wade until Devin Harris' game changing defense was put on Wade in the 4th quarter. Once Devin The Glove Harris replaced Griffin in the starting lineup, Wade went into beast mode.

And Marion did not do that great on Dirk.

I didn't say great, I said semi-decent, there's a difference last I checked. Since Marion was traded, Dirk has played Phoenix 9 times and has had 28 or more points against them all but twice. I didn't feel like averaging it out, but looking at the score, my guess is he averaged well over 30+ points in his most recent 9 games against Phoenix. Marion defended Dirk way better than anyone on Phoenix currently can.

mavsfan1000
04-16-2010, 03:22 PM
If you're wondering why all the Mavs fans on this site find you retarded, this is why.

I'd say he did a decent job "keeping up with" Nash here:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200804060PHO.html

and here:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200901090PHO.html

also this was a decent job (I think):
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200904050DAL.html

finally this one wasn't so bad:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201002170DAL.html

Since they got Kidd, the Mavs are 6-2 against the Suns.

Yeah, just like Devin Harris' defense on Baron Davis changed the 2006-2007 or how his defense on D-Wade changed the 2006 NBA finals. fyi, the Mavs were about to go up 3-0 on Miami with Adrian Griffin starting and guarding Wade until Devin Harris' game changing defense was put on Wade in the 4th quarter. Once Devin The Glove Harris replaced Griffin in the starting lineup, Wade went into beast mode.

I didn't say great, I said semi-decent, there's a difference last I checked. Since Marion was traded, Dirk has played Phoenix 9 times and has had 28 or more points against them all but twice. I didn't feel like averaging it out, but looking at the score, my guess is he averaged well over 30+ points in his most recent 9 games against Phoenix. Marion defended Dirk way better than anyone on Phoenix currently can.
So much wrong information here. 1. Amare is now in beast mode. When he gets this way, Dallas has no one to guard him. 2. Nash is a different player in the playoffs than the regular season. Kidd will not be able to sustain good defense on Nash. 3. Phoenix is a much deeper team. They were not that good earlier in the year but their young talent like Dragic and getting a healthy Barbosa has really helped. Btw I expect them to kill Barea off the bench. 4. Harris against Wade is a size mismatch. Wade was sick early in that series and that hurt him early on. Harris matches up perfectly against Nash size wise. Wade was starting to beast against Griffin anyways. I don't think it mattered who guarded him. Howard sucked at guarding him. And the refs made it that much harder with those phantom fouls. 5. Mavs don't like playing running teams. Golden State 2007 is a perfect example of a running nightmare since the mavs jumpshooting tends to lead to a lot of running by the other team.

mavsfan1000
04-16-2010, 03:29 PM
Shut the fuck up, Harris blows.
I'm so sick of you stalking my posts on multiple forums. Get a life.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-16-2010, 04:11 PM
So much wrong information here. 1. Amare is now in beast mode. When he gets this way, Dallas has no one to guard him.

Phoenix has no one who can guard Dirk. Both players would have a huge series.

2. Nash is a different player in the playoffs than the regular season. Kidd will not be able to sustain good defense on Nash. 3.

Why do you hate Kidd so much? He's been Dallas' 2nd best player all year and has played extremely well. His defense on Nash has been way better than anyone on Dallas from 2005-2007, during which Nash completely bukkaked all over whoever Dallas stuck on him. Now when Dallas plays Phoenix he more or less matches Nash.

Phoenix is a much deeper team. They were not that good earlier in the year but their young talent like Dragic and getting a healthy Barbosa has really helped.

You are talking completely out of your ass here. Dragic has been good all year, he didn't burst onto the scene in recent months, he's been a key off the bench player for this team since day 1. Getting Barbosa back has not done jack shit to help the Suns, anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't watched any of their recent games. Barbosa's play has been an abortion. Both teams have improved over the course of the year.

4. Harris against Wade is a size mismatch. Wade was sick early in that series and that hurt him early on. Harris matches up perfectly against Nash size wise.

No, this is about as wrong as it gets. Speedy, quick point guards like Harris have always gotten torched by Nash. Players who defend Nash well are bigger players who can fight through screens and make it harder for Nash to see the court, Bruce Bowen being the best example of this. The only time Pop ever switched Bowen onto a PG was Steve Nash.

5. Mavs don't like playing running teams. Golden State 2007 is a perfect example of a running nightmare since the mavs jumpshooting tends to lead to a lot of running by the other team.

You're right, when the Mavs had Devin Harris and Jason Terry trying to run their offense, it would lead to undisciplined shots and them being dooped into getting in shoot outs with Phoenix and Golden State. Now that they have a legitimate high IQ point guard who can run a half court offense and settle the team down, that doesn't happen anymore. How strange.

I'm not saying Dallas would kill Phoenix or anything, I think it would be a pretty even series. To say it would be a repeat of 2005 is pretty retarded.

mavsfan1000
04-16-2010, 04:47 PM
Phoenix has no one who can guard Dirk. Both players would have a huge series.
Agreed but Dirk is a jumpshooter. The defender really doesn't much to do with Dirk making or missing shots. The tempo of the game and the way the game is reffed does.

Why do you hate Kidd so much? He's been Dallas' 2nd best player all year and has played extremely well. His defense on Nash has been way better than anyone on Dallas from 2005-2007, during which Nash completely bukkaked all over whoever Dallas stuck on him. Now when Dallas plays Phoenix he more or less matches Nash.
Kidd is a complete defensive liability. Andre Miller went for 52 on him. Collison had a huge game against him. Basically anyone slightly fast at point guard has given him problems. If you watched him all season, you would know that. Surprisingly, he performed well against Nash but I think that has more to do with Nash not on his game. And Kidd can't go back at Nash either. Not enough speed to hurt Nash's defense. Big advantage to Nash.

You are talking completely out of your ass here. Dragic has been good all year, he didn't burst onto the scene in recent months, he's been a key off the bench player for this team since day 1. Getting Barbosa back has not done jack shit to help the Suns, anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't watched any of their recent games. Barbosa's play has been an abortion. Both teams have improved over the course of the year.
Alright you got me. I haven't much Suns games as well as you haven't watched many mavs games. All I know is the Suns are playing by far their basketball right now.

No, this is about as wrong as it gets. Speedy, quick point guards like Harris have always gotten torched by Nash. Players who defend Nash well are bigger players who can fight through screens and make it harder for Nash to see the court, Bruce Bowen being the best example of this. The only time Pop ever switched Bowen onto a PG was Steve Nash.
Bowen is speedy. You kidding me? He's a pain in the ass to get around. Harris was key to our success in 05-06 playoffs against Nash. Terry is probably the worst Nash defender I've ever seen. He isn't speedy despite his nickname. And Parker had some success defending Nash to.

You're right, when the Mavs had Devin Harris and Jason Terry trying to run their offense, it would lead to undisciplined shots and them being dooped into getting in shoot outs with Phoenix and Golden State. Now that they have a legitimate high IQ point guard who can run a half court offense and settle the team down, that doesn't happen anymore. How strange.

I'm not saying Dallas would kill Phoenix or anything, I think it would be a pretty even series. To say it would be a repeat of 2005 is pretty retarded.
The same thing happens with the mavs now. I would argue that they are even more of a jumpshooting now than before. Howard and Harris used to be aggressive. Butler=Jumpshots, Kidd=jumpshots, Nowitzki=jumpshots, Najera=jumphots, Terry=jumphots, and Barea=jumpshots.