PDA

View Full Version : Slamonline.com(Spurs)

Manu20
05-05-2005, 05:21 PM
(for Thursday May 5, 2005 -- posted at 3:30 p.m.)
http://slamonline.com/links/05022005/

Lang is still crazy busy at work, but last night he watched the Spurs knock out the Nuggets, and took time to reflect…

David Stern has to hate the San Antonio Spurs. They’re boring, they aren’t flashy, they aren’t marketable and their biggest star is easily confused with a robot, for goodness sakes.

The new issue of SLAM hits newsstands today or tomorrow, and it has two covers. A large chunk of the country gets Ben Wallace looking hard, doing the normal SLAM staredown while flossing his championship ring for the camera. The other chunk gets Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker. But instead of the ice grills, they’re all smiling, which dovetails with the cover line Ryan Jones slapped on there: “Smiling All The Way To The Chip.” We did them smiling not only to switch up the normal straight-faced thing, but also because they aren’t really that type of team. The Spurs don’t win by intimidation, they win by execution and consistency.

I wrote the Spurs cover story, but there really wasn’t much writing involved. Instead, I went to San Antonio for a few days and interviewed pretty much everyone involved with the team—didn’t get Nesterovic because he was making himself scarce, and I didn’t get Nazr Muhammad because they’d traded for him two weeks before and he still didn’t really understand the Spurs system. I also spent time with Gregg Popovich, who was mad cool, and Spurs GM R.C. Buford, who invited me into his office and entertained me for a good fifteen minutes. (And I don’t know if he knew it or not, but there was a list of last names of draft picks on the blackboard behind him. I won’t reveal what order they were listed in, although I bet Chad Ford would pay me for this info.) I took all of the quotes I gathered (about 7,000 words worth) and cut and pasted and screwed and chopped them into something like a biography.

Going in to the story, the angle we wanted to take was simple: Why are the Spurs always so good? Building a good team in the NBA is hard enough, much less when you’re a playoff team every single year. The nature of the League is cyclical—you assemble a good team and win as many games as you can before the salary cap or age catches up with you. But somehow, the Spurs have managed to be competive nearly every year, and they’ve taken two of the last six championships.

(Before we go any further, a large part of what has made the Spurs great is luck. In the last two decades, the team has twice found itself on the brink of decline, and both times they won the NBA Draft Lottery. The results? Tim Duncan and David Robinson. As Buford told me, “One explanation for our success is that we’ve been lucky when we needed to be.”)

In the SLAM story, we break it down into a couple of facets that combine to make the Spurs so great. Without giving up too much of the SLAM story—available on newstands soon!—one part is definitely the city of San Antonio. It’s one of the NBA’s smallest market, but the Spurs are the only major pro team in town, and the people of the city are crazy about the team. “Basketball-wise, people here know you because this is the only thing here besides the rodeo,” Robert Horry told me. “When I was in Houston there were the Texans and the Astros, in LA you had Denzel, Jack, the Angels, Dodgers, the Clippers, a lot of stuff going on. But here, people know you because the only entertainment is us.”

I was in San Antonio for a Wednesday night game against the hapless Raptors, and the place was sold out. In fact, they sold 99-percent of their tickets this season. “It’s a small town but it’s a community that really embraces their team, not only what guys do on the floor but also off the court,” Brent Barry said. “Guys are not only revered but respected for who they are, and everybody kinda is an individual off the floor here. I don’t know…it’s really kind of a nicely kept secret. People don’t really talk about the city of San Antonio too much or the franchise too much until it comes playoff time and San Antonio is in the thick of things, and I think that’s the way San Antonio likes it. We’re a blue collar group that just goes about our business and tries to enjoy each step of the way.”

Another cog in their success has been their management. Pop and Buford have been in place for what seems like ages in this current age of “fire ‘em if you don’t win now.” They’ve had a chance to hone their skills, and to experiment a bit and see what the best way to do things is. They do an almost perfect job of bringing in free agents (Brent Barry, Bruce Bowen, Tony Massenberg, Robert Horry, even Nesterovic, to a lesser degree) that can contribute at a high level. And look at the way they dealt with the trade deadline this year, going out and stealing Nazr from the Knicks.

Even Glenn Robinson. The guy couldn’t get off the bench in Philly all year—he can’t even bend over at the waist!—and then the Spurs bring him in and he hit several big shots last night. As Bruce Bowen told me: “It’s funny how when guys come here, they can change to conform to what the organization wants, and not, Oh, this my style, this is how I’ma do it! Case in point, look at Stephen Jackson. He was great for us. There had been words said about his attitude before he got here, and he fit in with us just right. Now, look at everyone else when they come here, they see the work ethic that a lot of guys exemplifies and they understand that in order to be on the same page, they have to get like that.”

Also, think about their Drafts. The Nuggets have built a strong team, but Carmelo Anthony and Francisco Elson are the only two guys on the roster that they actually drafted, and Melo was a no-brainer. For the most part, the Spurs pick at or near the bottom of the first round every year, and yet they’ve come up with above-average guys like Tony Parker, Beno Udrih and Manu Ginobili, who were each the 28th pick.

And they all like each other. When the Spurs lost Game One at home, Pop slid Ginobili—an All-Star, remember—out of the starting line-up and onto the bench. And that was OK. All they did was go out and bust the team with the best record in the NBA during the second half of the season.

But the thing that really stood out to me about the Spurs is their system. Pop wouldn’t really give up much about their main principles, but as Duncan explained, “Consistency. That is the system. We just want to do things consistently, methodically, just do them over and over again, just wear people down. That’s defensively, that’s offensively, and that is the system in its basic form.”

What Duncan described is exactly what the Spurs did last night. They run the same two plays, over and over and over: a high pick-and-roll and a low isolation for Duncan.

They win because they always get the right guys for their system, players who can do what is asked of them. For instance, one key to their system is that they don’t want to allow opponents to penetrate the middle of the floor. So many coaches preach, “Don’t give up the baseline,” but Pop’s system is completely the opposite; they don’t mind giving up the baseline, as long as players can guard the center of the court. I’m not going to mention any names, but there was one guy (there’s your hint) the Spurs had recently who consistently gave up the middle. And he’s no longer on the team.

Defensively, what sets them apart is that they have two players who are defensive player of the year candidates—Bowen and Duncan. So whenever they face a team with a good perimeter and good post player, the Spurs can handle it, and handle it well.

But what’s really amazing is that the Spurs have done all this without busting the bank. This year they had the 24th-highest salary cap number (out of 30 teams). Put it this way: the Clippers spent more on salary this year than the Spurs. That’ll change a bit next year, when Tony Parker’s new contract kicks in, but of their starters and key reserves, everyone is locked up for the forseeable future. (Robert Horry’s contract is up this summer, but he has an option to re-up, and odds are he will.)

Last year, we adopted the Jazz as the official team of The Links, because they always played hard, always played well, and were consistently overlooked. And in a strange way, the Spurs are exactly the same. No one cares about them—when was the last time ESPN did a feature on them or Tim Duncan was on the cover of Sports Illustrated?—but they just do what they do. And they win. A lot.

As I studied them the last few months while working on the story, they became my favorite team to watch. Everyone knows what they’re going to do, but they just do it anyway and dare you to stop them. And for the most part, nobody does.

That’s why I picked San Antonio to win it all. They’re deep, they’re solid, they know their roles, they don’t get nervous, and they match-up well with every team in the playoffs. Besides all that, as I mentioned the other day, I’m a basketball nerd. I love watching games not so much for scoring and dunks and stuff, but for match-ups, adjustments, plays. And the Spurs never disappoint me there.

If your team is out of the Playoffs, I say come and jump on the Spurs bandwagon with me.

Also, am I the only one who gets kinda creeped out by those commercials with Dr. J as a “Love Doctor” radio DJ? Anyone who’s been involved in, well, stuff like he’s been involved with probably should steer clear of doing anything like that. Next thing you know, Kwame Brown will be doing an ad for mentoring.

Great news is here.

That’s all I got…Here’s Sam…

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-05-2005, 05:46 PM
I’m not going to mention any names, but there was one guy (there’s your hint) the Spurs had recently who consistently gave up the middle. And he’s no longer on the team.

:lol That's cold. Someone better tell him not to take any phone calls from Spursgal.

exstatic
05-05-2005, 05:53 PM
Also, am I the only one who gets kinda creeped out by those commercials with Dr. J as a “Love Doctor” radio DJ? Anyone who’s been involved in, well, stuff like he’s been involved with probably should steer clear of doing anything like that. Next thing you know, Kwame Brown will be doing an ad for mentoring.
:lmao

picnroll
05-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Buford must be going nuts finding out that draft names were on that board. There's probably a bunch of GMs that would pay for that list

CosmicCowboy
05-05-2005, 06:05 PM
Buford must be going nuts finding out that draft names were on that board. There's probably a bunch of GMs that would pay for that list

CIA Pop put the names on the board...he knew they would leak...:lol

PM5K
05-05-2005, 06:16 PM
I never understand why they say the Spurs are boring, yes sometimes they do play a slow it down, defense oritented game but at the same time it is exciting to see Tony slice and dice defenders on his way to an uncontested layup, or to see Manu who does so many exciting things from hitting big threes, to being a fearless offensive attacker. You also have GHD in Tim Duncan who makes shots that I could never hope to and makes it look easy, not to mention watching shots get sent back by him, Nazr, and Rasho. Then you have Bruce who sticks to his opponents like glue to the point that they fall apart in frustration.

I could go on and on but I gotta take a piss....

Phenomanul
05-05-2005, 06:21 PM
CIA Pop put the names on the board...he knew they would leak...:lol

I thought the same thing.... mislead the opposition.

ZStomp
05-05-2005, 06:29 PM
Good article.

Why do people call the Spurs boring? I don't understand that. Is that the homer in me?

ZStomp
05-05-2005, 06:31 PM
They win because they always get the right guys for their system, players who can do what is asked of them. For instance, one key to their system is that they don’t want to allow opponents to penetrate the middle of the floor. So many coaches preach, “Don’t give up the baseline,” but Pop’s system is completely the opposite; they don’t mind giving up the baseline, as long as players can guard the center of the court. I’m not going to mention any names, but there was one guy (there’s your hint) the Spurs had recently who consistently gave up the middle. And he’s no longer on the team.

Malik Rose?

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-05-2005, 06:40 PM
:lol

I bet that list was made up of players they are absolutely certain will never be more than CBA bench fodder. :lmao

IX_Equilibrium
05-05-2005, 06:42 PM
Good read.

Funny how SA is the 9th biggest city in the nation, and people refer to it as a small town.

Summers
05-05-2005, 06:42 PM
I can't wait to buy this magazine.

CosmicCowboy
05-05-2005, 06:47 PM
Good read.

Funny how SA is the 9th biggest city in the nation, and people refer to it as a small town.

That "city" ranking is very misleading...it's because SA has huge city limits and not a lot of incorporated suburbs. we are like the 40th SMSA in the US...

Frenchise player
05-05-2005, 07:08 PM
The Spurs aren't boring for anyone who looks for a good basketball game, but I think that a majority of people watch the NBA to see spectacular moves of Lebron or Kobe and the NBA highlights and top tens are made in that purpose.
I don't mind if the Spurs are considered boring and I think it will change with Manu and Tony playing alongside. I used to find the Bulls boring because they won all the time and I had to watch them.
I hope the Spurs will win at least 2 or 3 more rings with Tim, that will be amzaing for a small market like San Antonio to be right there with powerfull franchises like the Lakers, Celtics and Bulls.

picnroll
05-05-2005, 07:17 PM
Spurs and boring has become a cliche. Dates back to when 90% of the Spurs offense was four down from three - four years ago. Most of these clowns have made it a tagline without a thought in their brains. Just a religious chant.

Useruser666
05-05-2005, 08:50 PM
That "city" ranking is very misleading...it's because SA has huge city limits and not a lot of incorporated suburbs. we are like the 40th SMSA in the US...

I think that ranking is based off of population, not land area.

mookie2001
05-05-2005, 09:10 PM
we've had this discussion dozens of times and i havent even been on spurstalk for that long
SA isnt even among the top 20 metro areas

anyway good piece, i jumped on the spurs bandwagon in 1988, so i guess i'll stay on

Tek_XX
05-05-2005, 09:18 PM
8th largest city

benjirh
05-05-2005, 09:29 PM
I noticed that the spurs cover will be a select cover. Any idea of how to get it? Do you think they will send that copy to Texas?

ZStomp
05-05-2005, 09:31 PM
I noticed that the spurs cover will be a select cover. Any idea of how to get it? Do you think they will send that copy to Texas?

probably so.

I mean why would they send it to California? or anywhere else and not send it here.

I have a subscription of this...so i hope i get mine soon...

IX_Equilibrium
05-05-2005, 09:33 PM

That ranking is based on population within specified city limits.

Pretty clear cut.

IX_Equilibrium
05-06-2005, 07:46 AM
The Only Reason They Say The Spurs Are Boring....is Because The Only People That Care About The Spurs Are People From South Texas. Thus, Everyone In La And Ny Consider Us Boring For Lack Of Interest. Not From Style Of Play.

I think alot of it is that the Spurs (especially Tim) just doesn't show alot of emotion. They just get down to business, do their thing, and WIN.

For so many NBA fans and players, its "Show first, win 2nd" instead of "just win".

CosmicCowboy
05-06-2005, 08:14 AM
That ranking is based on population within specified city limits.

Pretty clear cut.

http://www.itl.nist.gov/fipspubs/fip8-6-1.htm

You boys need to get out of San Antonio sometime...

you can talk about being the 9th largest "city" all you want but all that means is that relatively speaking we don't have a lot of incorporated suburbs like most other large metropolitan areas. If you take the entire population of Bexar county we are still only the 29th largest standard metropolitan statistical area...

GrandeDavid
05-06-2005, 08:16 AM
The Spurs are anything BUT boring. If they aren't marketable that's because the NBA is failing at marketing them. Indeed, Tony and Manu are very exciting to watch, anyone who disagrees yet thinks teams like Phoenix or whomever else is exciting to watch needs to overcome their ridiculous anti-small market bias and ignorance.

If I'm a completely neutral fan of basketball, I'd love watching the Spurs for their tough defense. Hey, I'm a man and I appreciate hard, dirty work. I'd also appreciate the entertaining Parker and Manu.

IX_Equilibrium
05-06-2005, 08:26 AM
http://www.itl.nist.gov/fipspubs/fip8-6-1.htm

You boys need to get out of San Antonio sometime...

you can talk about being the 9th largest "city" all you want but all that means is that relatively speaking we don't have a lot of incorporated suburbs like most other large metropolitan areas. If you take the entire population of Bexar county we are still only the 29th largest standard metropolitan statistical area...

There is really nothing for you to refute concerning mt statement. I never talked about metropolitan areas, just the city.

My reasoning for bringing up the fact that SA is the 9th largest city was because I thought it was funny that some people refer to a city of 1.2 million as a small town, like they were talking about Seguin.

By the way, I've traveled all over the US and Europe, so I have been out of SA.

MadDog73
05-06-2005, 08:36 AM
All right, just tell me straight up: Which is bigger, San Antonio or Denver?

Aw, crap, never mind. When you look a largest combined Metropolitan areas, SA isn't even in the top 23. But Denver and Seattle are....

http://www.citypopulation.de/USA-CombMetro.html

IX_Equilibrium
05-06-2005, 08:43 AM
According to the latest gov't census (yr 2000), San Antonio is ranked 9th with 1,144,646 people.

Denver is ranked 25th with 554,636.

I sure as hell wouldn't call Denver a small town, either.

MadDog73
05-06-2005, 08:50 AM
I guess it depends on your definition of "Largest City." Technically, yes, SA is the 8th Largest City. (1,214,725 pop) But that's misleading, because other smaller cities (like Denver and Seattle) have larger Metropolitan areas.

Question: when looking at the Metropolitan area of say, Dallas, is Arlington and Fort Worth included?

Even still, while San Antonio might not be the Metroplex of Dallas, Arlington and Fort Worth, it's not a Small Town either.

IX_Equilibrium
05-06-2005, 08:52 AM
Even still, while San Antonio might not be the Metroplex of Dallas, Arlington and Fort Worth, it's not a Small Town either.

Yeah that's my point. I could give a fuck how SA ranks to other cities in population. In fact, I would prefer it to not grow too much more.

It just find it amusing when they call SA a "small town".

Ginofan
05-06-2005, 09:11 AM
So this should be on newstands today right?

samikeyp
05-06-2005, 09:18 AM
We have over a million people but there is a distinct small town feel here. Personally, I like that.

wildbill2u
05-06-2005, 11:16 AM
I like to compare San Antonio and Green Bay. Both small-market cities with championship calibre teams, year after year. And with fans that adore the team because they are the only game in town. SA is 'Titletown USA' too?

Extra Stout
05-06-2005, 11:41 AM
Good read.

Funny how SA is the 9th biggest city in the nation, and people refer to it as a small town.Compared to just about every other metro area that has a pro sports team, SA is tiny, like Salt Lake, Sacramento, and Memphis are tiny. Denver, for example, or Seattle, have metro areas like 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 times as big as SA's, even if the central cities are smaller.

All that SA's being the 8th or 9th largest city indicates is that it aggressively annexes surrounding developments before they have a chance to incorporate, so it never gets "landlocked."

But the media does tend to act like it is just some dusty border crossroads with a general store, a dozen houses, and some chickens as the only backdrop to the SBC Center and the Riverwalk, rather than a city with over a million people.

jalbre6
05-06-2005, 12:32 PM
I like to compare San Antonio and Green Bay. Both small-market cities with championship calibre teams, year after year. And with fans that adore the team because they are the only game in town. SA is 'Titletown USA' too?

SA is a good sized city/metro area with 1.8 million people. Metro Green Bay, 100+ miles from both Milwaukee and Madison, has around 250,000.

ZStomp
05-10-2005, 04:20 AM
So is this magazine with the Spurs on the cover out or what?

gospursgojas
05-10-2005, 04:29 AM
So was he talking about MaliK Rose when he was talking about the one guy who gave up the middle too much???