PDA

View Full Version : Sinbad's Spurs VS MAVS series breakdown

SinBAD
04-15-2010, 03:21 PM
Round 1: 2. Mavs vs. 7. Spurs

Breakdown.

Season series: 3-1 Mavs

C: McDyess/Bonner vs. Haywood/Dampier
Haywood and Dampier are better defenders than Dyss and Bonner. They will give Duncan a hard time and their defense could alter the series. Dyss and Bonner will probably guard Dirk.Dyss has done a good job on him.If the red rocket finds his range then we will have the advantage at this position.

Advantage: Mavs

PF: Duncan vs. Dirk
Duncan is healthier than last year.Dirk is playing well.

Advantage: Even

SF: Jefferson vs. Marion
Both have been disappointing. RJ has had good games and so has the matrix. If RJ can rebound like he did after the all star break and run in the open court, the MAVS will have problems. Matrix can't create his own shot and can only play well in the open court. Spurs need to slow it down.

Advantage: Even

SG: Ginobili/Hill vs. Butler/Terry
Last year the spurs didn't have these 2 players and the MAVS ran all over us. This year Manu is the Manu of old and hill has proven himself. Butler is tough but can't guard Manu.Butler needs to play like howard did against the spurs for the MAVS to have a chance. If he doesn't score over 20, they have no hope.The Jet will need to hit his 3s to be effective.Hill can guard him.

Advantage: Spurs

PG: Parker/Hill vs. Kidd/Beaubois/Barea
Last year, Parker destroyed the MAVS on his own in game 2.They had and still have no answer for him except Beaubois who is a rookie and wont get any playing time.Kidd is an excellent 3 point shooter and passer.Pop's game plan will be to make him a scorer by closing the passing lanes.

Bench: The Spurs bench is the best in the league.Expect the second unit to take over with Blair and Bonner.

Coaching: Pop has 4 rings, Rick has 0.

-----------------
Prediction: Spurs in 6.

Tom Slick
04-15-2010, 03:22 PM
4>0, faggot!

Tom Slick
04-15-2010, 03:22 PM
4 rings faggot! great take scrah

Mavs<Spurs
04-15-2010, 04:58 PM
Well-written and thoughtful breakdown.

Thanks!

:flag:

Findog
04-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Last year, Parker destroyed the MAVS on his own in game 2.They had and still have no answer for him

Yeah we do. He sucks this year, thanks to injuries.

jestersmash
04-15-2010, 05:07 PM
Yeah we do. He sucks this year, thanks to injuries.

He's been showing signs of being substantially reinstated towards his former all star-caliber self every game he's been back. I'm not sure I would describe his level of play as "sucking" at the moment.

jack0fspeed
04-15-2010, 05:13 PM

SF: Jefferson vs. Marion
Both have been disappointing. RJ has had good games and so has the matrix. If RJ can rebound like he did after the all star break and run in the open court, the MAVS will have problems. Matrix can't create his own shot and can only play well in the open court. Spurs need to slow it down.

Marion has not been disappointing at all. He's done exactly what he was brought in to do: put up 12 and 7 and be a defensive stopper that can guard the other team's best wing.

He even brought a low post game that I never knew he had.

PG: Parker/Hill vs. Kidd/Beaubois/Barea
Last year, Parker destroyed the MAVS on his own in game 2.They had and still have no answer for him except Beaubois who is a rookie and wont get any playing time.Kidd is an excellent 3 point shooter and passer.Pop's game plan will be to make him a scorer by closing the passing lanes.

If the Spurs play Parker and Hill at the same time, we could see a lot of Roddy Beabois in this series. Carlisle doesn't like to play Roddy against quick guys that run the P&R well like Parker or against SGs with size. But Carlisle would not have a problem playing him against a guy like Hill.

dav4463
04-15-2010, 05:29 PM
I really hope the Spurs win. I think they can if they do not let the calls get in their head and just play Spurs basketball.

Just realize that Fadeaway Dirk will probably shoot more free throws than the entire Spurs team and play through it.

Take the ball to the hole and expose the soft mav defense and the series can be won.

GO SPURS GO !!!!

and don't say I'm already whining about calls.....it is just a fact that Fadeaway Dirk is one of the most protected soft players in the game.

cd98
04-15-2010, 05:36 PM

TD 21
04-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Why breakdown the match-ups and then put the Spurs PF's as their C's and their C as their PF? Forget how it's listed in the box score. On the court, Duncan and Blair are the Spurs C's and McDyess and Bonner as the Spurs PF's.

sefant77
04-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Sorry, there are some major mistakes.

Marion will barely defend RJ, he gonna take Ginobili. Butler will be the one that is on RJ most of the time. And hell, Marion had a great year and played great defense, doing all the little things. He was more important than Terry or Butler. Mavs dont need or look for Marion creating something. He is there for the garbage and the fastbreaks.

And why you know Roddy wont see the floor? He is a secret weapon for the Mavs, like Barea last year but way better.

sefant77
04-15-2010, 07:55 PM
and don't say I'm already whining about calls.....it is just a fact that Fadeaway Dirk is one of the most protected soft players in the game.

You are an idiot. Read the rulebook about the defender not able to put both hands on a player and then watch how often Dirk has a guy rubbing both of his hands and body on him pushing him off-balance.

Dirk is beside Yao the worst protected player in the league.

ZB 512
04-15-2010, 08:16 PM

Dirk was 11th in the NBA in FT attempts, yet he was 6th in the NBA in FG attempts. The Mavs as a team were 5th worst in the NBA when it came to FT attempts

the facts dont exactly back up your whining, and the Spurs are one of the last franchises that should complain about officiating

5in10
04-15-2010, 10:52 PM
Marion has not been disappointing at all. He's done exactly what he was brought in to do: put up 12 and 7 and be a defensive stopper that can guard the other team's best wing.

He even brought a low post game that I never knew he had.

HAHAHAH you mean the post from which he missed his first 6 shots from?:lol

04-15-2010, 10:57 PM
there's no spurs advantage at the SG spot. even though howard is gone, terry is still prone to explode against the spurs. and don't forget that barea turns into allen iverson against the spurs. hill's health is a question mark and mason is practically useless now.

ElNono
04-15-2010, 10:58 PM
Actually, I suspect we'll see a lot of Barea on Tony. Rick did that last season and worked ok for him since JJ is one of the few that can stay in front of Tony.
And Marion can't guard Manu...

jack0fspeed
04-15-2010, 11:00 PM
HAHAHAH you mean the post from which he missed his first 6 shots from?:lol

Yeah ... not his best game. The Mavs will take those shots every time though. They've been going in all year.

dav4463
04-16-2010, 12:15 AM
You are an idiot. Read the rulebook about the defender not able to put both hands on a player and then watch how often Dirk has a guy rubbing both of his hands and body on him pushing him off-balance.

Dirk is very much protected and I am not an idiot. I have a college education.

spursfaninla
04-16-2010, 12:26 AM
You guys are fucking RETARDED if you think the Spurs bench is the best bench in the league. Holy fuck.

This is a good example of a take with nothing to back it up.

Spurs have the best scoring bench in the league. Period. Whether it is with parker or manu on the bench, we put up something like 40 on teams.

spursfaninla
04-16-2010, 12:27 AM

And this is not raising the bar. Bring something better than "uh-hu. Nu-uh."

really.

ZB 512
04-16-2010, 01:48 AM

you must be...because the FACTS provided above, that you ignored, show your opinion to be shit

dbestpro
04-16-2010, 10:53 AM

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

I know you can't really believe that. Dirk could lay down to take a nap and the official will call a foul.

dbestpro
04-16-2010, 10:56 AM
Dirk was 11th in the NBA in FT attempts, yet he was 6th in the NBA in FG attempts.

A soft fade away jump shooter being 11th in NBA FT attempts is a travesty.

:king

HarlemHeat37
04-16-2010, 06:32 PM
I don't think Dirk is on the top tier of protected superstars(Wade, Lebron, Durant), but to say he is poorly protected is ridiculous..a guy that finished 11th in FTA despite 83% of his FGA coming from jump shots outside of the paint is pretty funny..

ZB 512
04-16-2010, 10:37 PM
A soft fade away jump shooter being 11th in NBA FT attempts is a travesty.

:king

People bite on Dirk's pump fakes constantly. If you think that a go to scorer who averages the 6th most FG attempts a game cant pump fake a player out of his shoes an average of 3 or 4 shots a game, and if you dont think he gets banged around a lot while isolating at the elbow or free throw line, then your opinion is a travesty. You dont only get fouled driving to the lane. However, If you dont think Dirk tries to drive past defenders, then you must not have watched him play much.

The leaders in FT attempts average 10 a game (including Durant who has a similar game to Dirk's but shoots more threes). Dirk averages 7 FT attempts a game as one of the most difficult match ups in the league. Considering how many shots Dirk takes and how physical and aggressive most teams are in their strategy in defending Dirk, an average of 7 FTs a game is about right, if not a little low compared to other go to scorers (also remember that Dirk is the teams best FT shooter and is therefore the designated FT shooter in technical foul situations. They also get the ball to him in intentional foul situations which adds to his FTs as well). Those facts CERTAINLY dont back up a statement that he is "protected", not at all.

anyway, a Spurs fan complaining about refs is ridiculous. The Spurs franchise is one of the LAST who should be complaining about officials.

dav4463
04-18-2010, 10:13 PM
Well, I guess I was right after all. Dirk got 12 free throws, Spurs only got 14 as a team. Dirk never once actually took the ball to the hole to draw a foul. He got touch fouls called on his pansy fadeaway jumper as well as a couple when he was just standing there and somebody touched him. Bonner and Bogans get no respect.

Mav fans who complain about D.Wade are two-faced. Dirk gets the same treatment.

I'm watching hockey where the visiting team at least has a chance to win. NBA is predictable and boring when home teams get the royal treatment.