PDA

View Full Version : CW: White says Silva will be cut if he repeats UFC 112 performance

Blackjack
04-15-2010, 04:48 PM
834KZjEQZWo

Anderson Silva's got his next opponent. UFC president Dana White announced on ESPN's "Rome is Burning" that Silva will defend his UFC middleweight title this summer against Chael Sonnen. White dropped a real bombshell when he said Silva could fired or cut from the promotion if he doesn't give his all in his fight with Sonnen.

Silva has been a punching bag for mixed martial arts fans since his bizarre win (http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Silva-clowns-UFC-and-Maia-on-his-way-to-decision?urn=mma,233386) over Demain Maia on Saturday at UFC 112. Silva mocked, danced and chided Maia over the course of an excruciating five-round decision. That prompted White to walk away from the Octagon (http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/White-embarrassed-leaves-Silva-fight-after-four?urn=mma,233388) following the fourth round and toss Silva's UFC middleweight title belt at Silva's manager, Ed Soares, saying, "you give him the belt!" Yahoo! Sports MMA writer Kevin Iole said Silva made a mockery of the sport (http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ki-ufcsilva041010).

During the conversation with Rome, White said repeatedly that Silva may have had a mental breakdown in the fight. It's the only way he can explain what Silva did in the cage. That's all fine and dandy but White also said he was embarrassed, would make sure it doesn't happen again. He also said he wanted to make it up to the fans.

White told Rome that Silva will be cut from the promotion if he fights with the same style (2:30 mark).

"There's nothing that I can really do to him financially. He's contracted to get paid and he gets paid. It's one of those unfortunate things that happens," then White got animated and started pointing at the camera (3:20 mark).
"If this ever acts like that again in the ring I will cut him. I don't care if he's the pound-for-pound best fighter in the world. I don't care if he's the middleweight champion. I will cut him, absolutely."

How outrageous is White's statement? Could he and should he cut a guy like Silva? What if he successfully defends his title again? A win over Sonnen would make it 12-0 in the UFC.

Sonnen may not be able to beat Silva but he should push the pace and make for a helluva lead up to the fight. Since the middle of 2009, he's been burying Silva in interviews. Check out this prefight conversation before UFC 109 (1:50 mark).

Sonnen guaranteed a verbal beating before the fight. He also had some choice words for Soares as well.

0upA_W6FEfM

dbreiden83080
04-15-2010, 04:56 PM
Yeah we were talking about this some in the fight thread.. Here are the quotes.. Just Dana grand-standing IMO

anyone post about silva vs sonnen on july 3rd yet?

[QUOTE=CubanSucks;4238982]Damn, you beat me to it. Don't know anything about Sonnen yet except his upset over Marquart

one of the biggest dbags in mma. watch his first fight with filho.

Dana saying he would cut Silva if he pulled that again is grand-standing IMO. He won't cut Silva loose, he'll just pair him with guys that will make him fight for the rest of his career. Sonnen will make him fight. He'll push it with his wrestling. Has the goods to get it down plenty. Silva is gonna win but it should be pretty good.. After that send him back up to 205 and fight guys like Page and Shad. Or if he wants the catchweight bout with GSP

Lets do it..

Blackjack
04-15-2010, 05:15 PM
Feel free to merge it if you'd like, db.

With all the backlash and pissedoffedness (Blackjack makes up words -- and talks in the third person) I figured some might like a fresh canvas. :downspin:

dbreiden83080
04-15-2010, 05:21 PM
Feel free to merge it if you'd like, db.

With all the backlash and pissedoffedness (Blackjack makes up words -- and talks in the third person) I figured some might like a fresh canvas. :downspin:

Nah we'll chat about it here some more. It's news worthy of a new thread. Silva better come to fight from now on. But like i said i think the UFC is done completely with these guys that have great JJ and not much else against Silva. Wrestlers that push the pace like Sonnen. Strikers that have to bang to win, those are the guys Silva must fight from now on..

The TroutBum
04-15-2010, 05:57 PM
0upA_W6FEfM

AWESOME.

After watching that, I am a fan.

dallaskd
04-15-2010, 07:34 PM
I saw this on ESPN. The first thought that came to mind was "call his bluff, silva"

Dana wouldnt do it..

dallaskd
04-15-2010, 07:45 PM
0upA_W6FEfM

AWESOME.

After watching that, I am a fan.

Sonnen lost the first fight with Filho. He got armbared and yelled for his life. His arm was so close to being broken. I dont want to hear that shit. Watch the fight. Thats a verbal tab imo, good call made by the ref. He looked good in his second bout with Filho and Nate. But Paulo wasnt himself and im not sure what that shit Nate put on was. Loves how he brings it, but is no bigger of a threat than Rich at this point..

Stringer_Bell
04-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Sonnen lost the first fight with Filho. He got armbared and yelled for his life. His arm was so close to being broken. I dont want to hear that shit. Watch the fight. Thats a verbal tab imo, good call made by the ref. He looked good in his second bout with Filho and Nate. But Paulo wasnt himself and im not sure what that shit Nate put on was. Loves how he brings it, but is no bigger of a threat than Rich at this point..

Agreed, BUT I believe Sonnen will fight him without worrying about winning or losing. He's not posturing, he's a fighter and the fight will be finished before the 3rd round but at least Silva WILL leave with a scratch. I had the same feeling with Rua/Machida, this will be a good fight too.

dbreiden83080
04-15-2010, 08:37 PM
Anderson's response..

http://i43.tinypic.com/zkk1sh.jpg

Blackjack
04-16-2010, 03:25 AM
I literally just got done watching that; Dana Locke got wasted . . . :lol