PDA

View Full Version : Rebounding

lrrr
04-15-2010, 06:28 PM
This season was the highest the Spurs have been ranked in rebounding for a long time, 9th in the league. The three years before this they were ranked 18th, 23rd and 17th (championship year). Adjusted for the slow(er) pace this team plays, that is an outstanding rank.

Considering they played like crap for most of the season, highlights just how good a rebounding team this is. Hopefully now they are playing the real season and if Dice can waken from his slumber they can really turn it up in this department.

I believe that one extra rebound in the 2006 series against the Mavs would have made the difference between loosing in 7 and winning in 6, instead Pop insisted on small ball, which lead to many second chance points for the Mavs. Let's hope that Pop is a student of history.

Rebounds win Rings.

superjames1992
04-15-2010, 07:02 PM
So much for Bonner being such a terrible rebounder that drags down the team.

Also, I think we have one of the best defensive rebounding teams in the NBA, IIRC.

TD 21
04-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Rebounding differential is more important than total rebounds, which is predicated on various factors. The Spurs are 3rd in rebound differential; the Mavs are 24th.

Russ
04-15-2010, 08:07 PM
The Spurs are 3rd in rebound differential; the Mavs are 24th.

Meaningless.

The key to this series will be offensive rebounding.

Dallas has been killing the Spurs on the offensive glass by a 2-1 margin. If that doesn't change, the Spurs are in huge trouble.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-15-2010, 08:12 PM
Meaningless.

The key to this series will be offensive rebounding.

Dallas has been killing the Spurs on the offensive glass by a 2-1 margin. If that doesn't change, the Spurs are in huge trouble.

:tu :tu

The Spurs aren't gonna out shoot the Mavs in this series, which is why I'd much rather Pop play Blair/Temple over Bonner/Mason.

TD 21
04-15-2010, 08:26 PM
Duncan didn't play in two of those games, genius. And in at least one the Spurs played a lot of the game with four smalls. Unless Pop goes small and/or doubles Nowitzki consistently, I'm not worried about rebounding.

Russ
04-15-2010, 08:35 PM
Duncan didn't play in two of those games, genius. And in at least one the Spurs played a lot of the game with four smalls. Unless Pop goes small and/or doubles Nowitzki consistently, I'm not worried about rebounding.

In the two games Duncan did play in (both losses), the Spurs were outrebounded on the offensive glass as follows:

17-8

12-5

Total -- 29-13.

TD 21
04-15-2010, 08:43 PM
Two game sample size?

If Spurs stay big, play McDyess extended minutes and don't double Nowitzki consistently, I think they'll be fine in this regard.

Seventyniner
04-15-2010, 08:47 PM
http://www.knickerblogger.net/stats/2010/o_oe.htm

According to this, the Spurs were the 14th best team in the league at getting offensive rebounds, and the 4th best on the defensive glass. The Mavs, on the other hand, were 26th for offensive rebounds and 15th for defensive. If the stats hold up, the Spurs should win the rebound battle handily. I wish there was a way to control this for higher quality competition, though.

The Truth #6
04-15-2010, 08:48 PM
Well, last night rebounding seemed to keep us in the game and poor shooting kept us from getting closer than 6 points. I'm more worried about them packing the paint and forcing us to make a jumper and Bonner and Mason missing the side of the barn again.

As for those two games cited, I'm curious what the lineup was like. Was that when RJ was playing power forward more often?