PDA

View Full Version : Everybody Loves/Hates RAY ALLEN

milkyway21
05-05-2005, 08:44 PM
:huh i didn't know besides Big Dog Allen have so many people aiming at his neck?Tim Thomas:rolleyes? :opps

Everybody loves/hates Ray Allen
Web Posted: 05/05/2005 12:00 AM CDT
San Antonio Express-News

Seattle SuperSonics guard Ray Allen has a silky-smooth game and is a smooth talker off the floor. Which explains why so many people love him. But what it doesn't explain is why seemingly just as many people hate him. Here's a look at the people who love Allen and those who hate him, with the lines sometimes becoming blurred.

THEY LOVE ALLEN:

The league: Allen has no rap sheet, wins community service awards and even has a degree in business education from Connecticut. David Stern wants an age limit on incoming players? Allen could be the spokesman for the commissioner. He calls the influx of players straight from high school to the NBA a “travesty.”

The media: Allen isn't afraid to say how he feels and frequently takes some heat for this. It's this open approach that makes him a favorite with the media. He's routinely on the NBA's all-interview team.

The Sonics: Allen by all accounts is well-liked by his current teammates and coach. Said guard Luke Ridnour: “He thinks it's just as important for him to adjust to playing with me as it is for me to adjust to playing with him. He's that way with all of us.” Said coach Nate McMillan: “(His leadership) isn't phony. He is going up to guys at the right time and encouraging them, and he has also been critical of guys when that is called for.”

Richie Sexson: Allen has numerous friends off the court, including the Seattle Mariners’ first baseman, whom he knows from his time in Milwaukee when Sexson played for the Brewers and Allen for the Bucks. “In Milwaukee, I would go to the game, and me, Richie and Geoff (Jenkins) would hang out,” Allen said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THEY HATE ALLEN:

Tim Thomas: Allen and Thomas were teammates in Milwaukee, but when the Sonics guard said last year that Thomas didn't produce for the Bucks, it wasn't taken well. Thomas, now with the Knicks, threatened to choke Allen the next time they played. Allen said he wasn't scared and Thomas later backed off the idea of becoming the next Latrell Sprewell.

Kobe Bryant: Allen took aim at Bryant during the offseason, saying his selfishness resulted in Shaquille O'Neal being shipped out of Los Angeles. Bryant was upset, saying he took the comments as a slap at his current team. Both say there is no problem any more, but not everybody is convinced of that.

George Karl: When Allen played under Karl in Milwaukee, the coach called him a “Barbie Doll because he wants to be pretty,” adding, “he cares too much about having style, making highlights and being cool.” Allen admitted that the comments hurt. Karl, now Denver's coach, has since praised Allen's game, much the way he used to praise Manu Ginobili's.

Glenn Robinson: Notice a trend? Robinson, now with the Spurs, played with Allen in Milwaukee. And while hate might be a strong word for their relationship now, there was definitely bad blood at one point. Allen criticized Robinson after the forward was traded to Atlanta. Robinson responded by calling Allen “a coward,” adding, “He needs to work on not being so soft and quit being a little punk on the court.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DID YOU KNOW?

Bowen vs. Allen

While Ray Allen has plenty of people who aren't fans of his, he has made it clear that he's not a big fan of Spurs forward Bruce Bowen. The Spurs played late Wednesday for the opportunity to face Allen's SuperSonics in the second round.

Here are a few of their run-ins:

April 11, 2003: Bowen fouled Allen in the third quarter and the two went nose-to-nose, with both receiving technical fouls. When then-Sonics guard Brent Barry tried to slap the ball out of his hands on the ensuing possession, Bowen raised his right elbow and faked it in Barry's direction. That drew a second technical on Bowen, who was ejected with 10:35 remaining. The Spurs won 94-86 at home.

Feb. 6, 2004: After the Sonics' 96-90 loss at home, Allen said: “I understand the persona on the court. He never likes anybody, but what he does is sissy basketball, the way he cheap-shots.” Countered Bowen: “It's not about me playing him physical. It's about me putting a hand up on every shot.”

March 30, 2005: After the Spurs' 89-76 victory at home, Allen said: “They put him out there to throw punches and throw elbows. I don't know what he's doing. That's not basketball that he plays.” Said Bowen: “I've never heard the great ones say anything like that.”

I Luf My Spurss
05-05-2005, 09:56 PM
Everybody Loves/Hates RAY ALLEN

I LUF MY SPURSS