IronMexican
04-16-2010, 09:55 PM
barber, what state do you live in?

DBryant88
04-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Maine

Warlord23
04-17-2010, 02:08 PM
so mbarber is a Sox/Cowboys/Lakers fan living in Maine? imo DOK/Dragic has just been one-upped in the bandwagoning business, tbh

DBryant88
04-17-2010, 03:54 PM
well my mothers side is form Texas, so the whole family is full of cowboys fans. Plus I grew up watching the Triplets. I really just like Kobe Bryant and hate the celtics. And i figured i live in Maine might as well like one home team and as to not get beat on a regular basis I have been a Sox fan sine '99
fuck the haters

AFBlue
04-17-2010, 07:45 PM
It's only one game, but that loss on a 2-run homer to Pat "where's my bat?" Burrell has to sting. At least they get to reset and go at it again tonight!

Goran Dragic
04-17-2010, 08:25 PM
so mbarber is a Sox/Cowboys/Lakers fan living in Maine? imo DOK/Dragic has just been one-upped in the bandwagoning business, tbh

Coming from the Steelers/Spurs fan.

DBryant88
04-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Coming from the Steelers/Spurs fan.

:pimpslap

AFBlue
04-17-2010, 11:34 PM
It's only one game, but that loss on a 2-run homer to Pat "where's my bat?" Burrell has to sting. At least they get to reset and go at it again tonight!

Rays take the first two of the series...looking forward to actually seeing a game tomorrow.

ALWAYS bet on BLACK
04-18-2010, 04:08 AM
forum run 2010

DBryant88
04-18-2010, 08:03 AM
Lester(0-1) vs Garza(0-1)

TampaDude
04-18-2010, 03:19 PM
7-0 Rays in the 7th...pretty much what I'd expect. The Rays own Lester.

crc21209
04-18-2010, 04:06 PM
Sox starting off the season pretty damn slow...:td

TampaDude
04-18-2010, 05:16 PM

Good...I hate the Red Sox. Other than Beckett, they can all eat a dick.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-18-2010, 05:25 PM

Considering every recent year they've started out extremely well and then faded that isn't a good sign. Didn't expect much this year and it wouldn't surprise me if they aren't even in the playoff race. They've been way too complacent since 2007 and haven't made big enough splashes to counter New York's spending spree. Marco Scutaro and Mike Cameron are good role players but it won't nearly make up for losing the Texiera bidding war to New York.

AFBlue
04-18-2010, 06:00 PM
7-0 Rays in the 7th...pretty much what I'd expect. The Rays own Lester.

Actually the Rays haven't historically fared well against Lester, or LHP in general. This game was owned by Matt Garza, who is sporting a 0.75 ERA. Pena and BJ Upton going deep was just icing on the cake.

The Rays look strong early...the Red Sox, not so much. Rays have a chance to sweep the series (their second in a row) tomorrow...Lackey and Niemann on the bump.

DBryant88
04-18-2010, 07:44 PM
fuck my life. The Goddamn Rays

TampaDude
04-18-2010, 11:05 PM
Actually the Rays haven't historically fared well against Lester, or LHP in general. This game was owned by Matt Garza, who is sporting a 0.75 ERA. Pena and BJ Upton going deep was just icing on the cake.

The Rays look strong early...the Red Sox, not so much. Rays have a chance to sweep the series (their second in a row) tomorrow...Lackey and Niemann on the bump.

Yes, Garza seems to be kryptonite for the Red Sox, who only have a .218 BA and a .291 OBP against him over his career.

TampaDude
04-18-2010, 11:07 PM

I think it will be a lot closer than it was today. Something like 4-3 or 5-3 either way.

AFBlue
04-18-2010, 11:08 PM
fuck my life. The Goddamn Rays

Don't feel bad man, the Rays are a really good team. Of course, it does hurt that they're the direct competition for a division or wild card slot. Then again, it's April...long season with many more head-to-heads to go.

AFBlue
04-18-2010, 11:12 PM
Yes, Garza is kryptonite for the Red Sox, but every time I've seen the Rays play against Lester, including the 2008 ALCS, they have absolutely killed him. Garza vs. Lester is grim death for Boston.

I think Garza will be Kryptonite for a lot of teams this year. He's got the stuff to win a Cy Young.

TampaDude
04-18-2010, 11:22 PM
I think Garza will be Kryptonite for a lot of teams this year. He's got the stuff to win a Cy Young.

Yup...and I checked some games, and Garza seems to be matched up against Lester a lot, too.

TampaDude
04-18-2010, 11:22 PM

That would be sweet! :hat

AFBlue
04-18-2010, 11:45 PM
That would be sweet! :hat

Are you a Rays fan? If there's more than one of us, I'm gonna need to start the "official 2010 Rays thread"

Horry For 3!
04-19-2010, 12:36 AM
I like the Rays, they are off to a good start this season

LnGrrrR
04-19-2010, 06:10 AM
Yikes. Can't the Sox just retire Ortiz and make him, like, a Red Sox ambassador? A nice cushy job somewhere?

I still think we should have kept Manny... at least then we'd have some bat production. And where's the vaunted defense that Bill Simmons was writing about? Grrrr.

DJ Mbenga
04-19-2010, 10:58 PM
pitching and defense. so far so good. no offense. lol. the Padres are licking their chops. bard, bucholtz are two guys just to get them to answer the phone.

AFBlue
04-20-2010, 12:05 AM
pitching and defense. so far so good. no offense. lol. the Padres are licking their chops. bard, bucholtz are two guys just to get them to answer the phone.

Actually the Rays jumped on Red Sox pitching (Lester, Bucholtz and Lackey) and capitalized on errors/misplayed balls by Sox outfielders. Of course, they really miss having Ellsbury to solidify outfield defense, so they're not as bad as they were this series.

Still, the pitching and defense were nothing to write home about.

bostonguy
04-20-2010, 12:49 AM
Yikes. Can't the Sox just retire Ortiz and make him, like, a Red Sox ambassador? A nice cushy job somewhere?

I still think we should have kept Manny... at least then we'd have some bat production. And where's the vaunted defense that Bill Simmons was writing about? Grrrr.

:depressed:depressed

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-20-2010, 01:57 AM
Ellsbury is overrated. When Florida was willing to discuss trading Hanley for a package involving Ellsbury Epstein should have been on that like white on rice. It was the equivalent of Scott Skiles refusing to trade Luol Deng for Kobe.

LnGrrrR
04-20-2010, 04:09 AM
:depressed:depressed

I bought his jersey in the Spring of the year he got traded... ARRGGh. I still wear it though... screw it.

My wife has an Ortiz shirt that she got at a game we attended in '07... though I think I'm going to get her a Youk jersey.

That's one of the thing that sucks about living away from home... can't go to any Red Sox games. The last one I attended was in 2007.

LnGrrrR
04-20-2010, 04:11 AM
Ellsbury is overrated. When Florida was willing to discuss trading Hanley for a package involving Ellsbury Epstein should have been on that like white on rice. It was the equivalent of Scott Skiles refusing to trade Luol Deng for Kobe.

Especially since we gave them Hanley in the first place... you figure that we'd have good scouting on him. :lol

Still, there's something to be said for loyalty, and it's not like Ellsbury is horrible.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Especially since we gave them Hanley in the first place... you figure that we'd have good scouting on him. :lol

Still, there's something to be said for loyalty, and it's not like Ellsbury is horrible.

Now that Hanley trade looks like shit but chances are the Red Sox don't win a world series without Lowell and Beckett in 2007 so I'm cool with it. Ellsbury is far from horrible, but if he's the best player you have to give up in a package for Hanley, imo you obviously do it. Plus I became a bandwagon Marlins fan (yes IM, my Marlins fanhood is totally bandwagon, I'll admit it) after 2003 so if he's on any other team it better be Florida :lol

I don't see things turning around anytime soon. It'll be interesting to see if they accept this as a rebuilding year or if they try to trade their way into contention. I'm fine with 1 rebuilding season since I don't think there are any trades that can vault them past NY. They have problems with both batting and pitching. Lackey and Lester are the only two reliable starters on the team, and to contend in the AL you either need dominant pitching or a batting order with power, depth and little to no easy outs. You look at NY's lineup, A-Rod and Tex are both way bigger power threats than anyone in Boston's lineup. I like Pedroia as the #5 hitter and Youk as the #2 hitter (or visa versa for that matter), but Boston needs a 3 and 4 hitter who can deliver power like Arod and Tex.

LnGrrrR
04-20-2010, 11:19 AM
Pretty much fully agreed with you DoK. We used to have a monster lineup with Ramirez/Ortiz... Youk in that position isn't quite the same.

I'm a bandwagon Saints fan from living near there for so long and loving New Orleans. Of course, I was cheering my head off in the Superdome for the Pats... well for the first quarter anyways. The last three I just tried to have as much fun as I could with all the Saints fans giving me (good-natured) grief.

AFBlue
04-20-2010, 11:24 AM

Lots of prospects are overrated internally by FOs and fans. As LnGrrrR said, loyalty does play a role on these decisions. As for my comment, I was speaking mostly about what he brings defensively.

He's a natural CF, playing LF (much like Crawford in TB), which is especially important with how Fenway is built. His range and ability to read balls off the Green Monster probably would've saved a couple runs during this last series. He's also a good leadoff guy (though not against lefties) with speed.

When you replace that with Jeremy Hermida, you're actually losing alot.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-20-2010, 11:53 AM
Yeah I was just venting not necessarily disagreeing with you or anything.

Theo Epstein is the king of overrating prospects. Last year at the deadline he refused to give Clay Buchholz up for Roy Halladay. My thought was, uh, what the hell has Clay Buchholz done to make it so he can't be traded for Roy Halladay? Threw a no-hitter 2 years ago?

AFBlue
04-20-2010, 12:17 PM
Yeah I was just venting not necessarily disagreeing with you or anything.

Theo Epstein is the king of overrating prospects. Last year at the deadline he refused to give Clay Buchholz up for Roy Halladay. My thought was, uh, what the hell has Clay Buchholz done to make it so he can't be traded for Roy Halladay? Threw a no-hitter 2 years ago?

Theo better be willing to part with him if he wants Adrian Gonzalez...it'd be Bucholtz, Kelly or both.

bostonguy
04-20-2010, 12:20 PM
Now that Hanley trade looks like shit but chances are the Red Sox don't win a world series without Lowell and Beckett in 2007 so I'm cool with it. Ellsbury is far from horrible, but if he's the best player you have to give up in a package for Hanley, imo you obviously do it. Plus I became a bandwagon Marlins fan (yes IM, my Marlins fanhood is totally bandwagon, I'll admit it) after 2003 so if he's on any other team it better be Florida :lol

I don't see things turning around anytime soon. It'll be interesting to see if they accept this as a rebuilding year or if they try to trade their way into contention. I'm fine with 1 rebuilding season since I don't think there are any trades that can vault them past NY. They have problems with both batting and pitching. Lackey and Lester are the only two reliable starters on the team, and to contend in the AL you either need dominant pitching or a batting order with power, depth and little to no easy outs. You look at NY's lineup, A-Rod and Tex are both way bigger power threats than anyone in Boston's lineup. I like Pedroia as the #5 hitter and Youk as the #2 hitter (or visa versa for that matter), but Boston needs a 3 and 4 hitter who can deliver power like Arod and Tex.

Maybe the Red Sox can lure Jeter away from New York. :hat

AFBlue
04-20-2010, 12:24 PM
News on Cameron from ESPN...

BOSTON -- Boston Red Sox center fielder Mike Cameron has been diagnosed with an abdominal tear, described by a team source as a type of sports hernia. Judging by the experience of other players who have had similar injuries, it could require surgery that would sideline the 37-year-old outfielder for at least a month to six weeks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=5118215

Looks like more Hermida and Hall for the near-term.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Theo better be willing to part with him if he wants Adrian Gonzalez...it'd be Bucholtz, Kelly or both.

Yeah again it's a no brainer to me, especially because Adrian Gonzalez puts up those great numbers playing in by far the hardest ballpark to hit in, god only knows what numbers he would put up in Fenway. When all that costs is a pitcher who does have tons of potential but for the most part has been unreliable outside of the minors, it's time to do it.

AFBlue
04-20-2010, 02:54 PM
Yeah again it's a no brainer to me, especially because Adrian Gonzalez puts up those great numbers playing in by far the hardest ballpark to hit in, god only knows what numbers he would put up in Fenway. When all that costs is a pitcher who does have tons of potential but for the most part has been unreliable outside of the minors, it's time to do it.

The other thing that trips me out about the Red Sox FOs unwillingness to part with prospects...they have the money to go out in the off-season and just buy a replacement!

They're not a team like the Rays or Marlins that must continually weigh the short-term impact of adding a major piece now against the long-term impact of losing multiple high-ceiling prospects.

If the Red Sox give up Bucholtz or Kelly for Gonzalez they're still in contention and can snag one of the top FA pitchers in the off-season while filling internally for the rest of the year.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-20-2010, 03:58 PM
Yeah exactly, the Marlins, Rays and Twins might be surprisingly good at loading up their farm system and competing with a small payroll, but they'd undoubtedly compete for free agents if they were able to.

LnGrrrR
04-21-2010, 05:34 AM
I' mvery willing to trade Buccholz. As mentioned above, he's shown flashes of progress but then seems to backslide. If we can get a good trade for him, pull the trigger.

Speaking of pitchers who once held promise, how's Daisuke doing? lol

scottspurs
04-21-2010, 07:33 PM
Varitek just made a great play blocking the plate and a great throw by Darnell McDonald who just hit a homerun.

DBryant88
04-22-2010, 08:02 PM
I' mvery willing to trade Buccholz. As mentioned above, he's shown flashes of progress but then seems to backslide. If we can get a good trade for him, pull the trigger.

Speaking of pitchers who once held promise, how's Daisuke doing? lol

buccholz was looking good. till the 7th

LnGrrrR
04-23-2010, 05:44 AM
buccholz was looking good. till the 7th

I' mvery willing to trade Buccholz. As mentioned above, he's shown flashes of progress but then seems to backslide.

:lol

Goran Dragic
04-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Well it's gonna be a rough season. Fortunately all the stupid douche bags who have been cheering for them since 2004 will jump off the bandwagon.

AFBlue
04-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Well it's gonna be a rough season. Fortunately all the stupid douche bags who have been cheering for them since 2004 will jump off the bandwagon.

It's April...can't really say much about how the season will turn out at this point. However, there are some alarming signs to keep an eye on...

1) Ortiz - will he even rebound to be a productive everyday player?
2) Defense - A supposed strength based on off-season acquisition, it's looked pretty pitiful so far. And the lack of defense behind the dish is really killing them.
3) Health - already two of their three regular OFs have hit the DL and in a race this tight, they need to be mostly healthy for long stretches.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-23-2010, 03:49 PM
It's April...can't really say much about how the season will turn out at this point. However, there are some alarming signs to keep an eye on...

1) Ortiz - will he even rebound to be a productive everyday player?
2) Defense - A supposed strength based on off-season acquisition, it's looked pretty pitiful so far. And the lack of defense behind the dish is really killing them.
3) Health - already two of their three regular OFs have hit the DL and in a race this tight, they need to be mostly healthy for long stretches.

In recent years, Boston has been a team that starts off hot and its record slowly gets worse as the season goes. They're not going to suddenly become a team that starts slow and then turns it on. Also they have way bigger concerns, for instance an everyday lineup that when healthy has several big holes and isn't that good, and a starting rotation with only 2 reliable pitchers.

DBryant88
04-23-2010, 08:45 PM
In recent years, Boston has been a team that starts off hot and its record slowly gets worse as the season goes. They're not going to suddenly become a team that starts slow and then turns it on. Also they have way bigger concerns, for instance an everyday lineup that when healthy has several big holes and isn't that good, and a starting rotation with only 2 reliable pitchers.

lackey,lester,beckett. all 3 solid

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-23-2010, 09:47 PM
Beckett is not solid, he's been more sketch every year since 2007.

DBryant88
04-24-2010, 07:52 PM
he finished a solid 17-6 last year.

DBryant88
04-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Tonight
Beckett(1-0) ERA 5.26
vs.
Eveland(2-0) ERA 1.93

DBryant88
04-29-2010, 01:03 PM
Sox have the night off tonight

DBryant88
05-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Lackey looked good but the pen just couldnt close out

Mel_13
05-03-2010, 11:20 AM
Swept by the Orioles.:wow

DBryant88
05-04-2010, 09:15 AM
beat the angels 17-8

Lowell 4-4 2R 4RBI

LnGrrrR
05-04-2010, 09:23 AM
Watch, now that we had that one offensive explosion, the Sox will score 2, 3 and 2 runs in the next three games. :lol

DBryant88
05-06-2010, 08:41 AM
Sox go for the sweep tonight

DBryant88
05-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Sox start a 3 game series vs the Yankees after sweepin the Angels in 4

DBryant88
05-10-2010, 08:50 AM
Sox avoid series sweep with 9-3 with vs the Yanks

Andrew Bynum
05-11-2010, 05:45 AM
Can't wait to see Beckett if year three and four of that fresh extension. He'll probably be shitting it up on a different team with the Red Sox paying 70% of his salary. Oh the joys of MLB.

DBryant88
05-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Sox are going for the sweep right now

DBryant88
05-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Zero's at the bottom of the second

DBryant88
05-13-2010, 09:40 AM
Wakefield throws his 2,000th strikeout

scottspurs
05-14-2010, 06:49 PM
DP and Big Papi with homeruns in the 1st. Sweet

Mel_13
05-17-2010, 10:01 PM
:lol @ Papelbon.

scottspurs
05-17-2010, 10:41 PM

Trade him. Bard is better.

LnGrrrR
05-18-2010, 04:15 AM
I agree that Bard has been better this season... I don't know what's been wrong with Papelbon.

DBryant88
05-18-2010, 09:09 AM
Tonight
Beckett vs. Sabbathia

bostonguy
05-18-2010, 03:31 PM

:bang:bang:bang

:depressed

JamStone
05-18-2010, 04:21 PM
Didn't watch much of the game since the Lakers game was on, but from bits that I did see and the highlights, that was one of the more crazy and entertaining games for these two teams, which is saying a lot since it's early regular season and with the history of crazy and entertaining games these two teams already have.

crc21209
05-18-2010, 07:00 PM
I agree that Bard has been better this season... I don't know what's been wrong with Papelbon.

+1. The guy has fallen off..in the past year or so, he's blown alot of saves and given up not only runs, but home runs in closing situations..

monosylab1k
05-18-2010, 10:55 PM
forum run 2010

:lol

DBryant88
05-19-2010, 09:21 AM

funny he looked good last night when he closed out the Yanks

scottspurs
05-19-2010, 12:21 PM
Didn't watch much of the game since the Lakers game was on, but from bits that I did see and the highlights, that was one of the more crazy and entertaining games for these two teams, which is saying a lot since it's early regular season and with the history of crazy and entertaining games these two teams already have.

Back to back crazy and entertaining games now.

DBryant88
05-24-2010, 08:43 AM
Sox go 2-1 in series over the Phillies. Start series vs Rays tonight

DBryant88
05-27-2010, 09:32 AM
Surging Sox sweep Rays

Mel_13
05-28-2010, 09:52 PM
Bad day for the Sox.

Gave up 20 hits while losing second straight to the Royals.

Ellsbury back to the DL.

crc21209
05-29-2010, 01:02 AM
Beating the great teams...losing to the shitty ones. :td

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-05-2010, 05:53 PM
Smart move by Boston to get him back on steroids. I thought it was a good signing to begin with, but I didn't know they'd be getting Beltre circa 2004.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Well they aren't a playoff team right now but they're showing a lot of resilience being only 4 games back with all the injuries they've had. Lester and Buchholz have carried the pitching staff this year when everyone else has been wildly inconsistent. If Lackey can continue to regain form and be his old self, and if Beckett or Dice-K can at some point stay healthy and produce, this team should be able to push for a wild card spot because of great pitching.

They aren't gonna be contending with NY this year unless they pull off trades that net them an all star out fielder who can be a 3 or 4 hitter and are healthy enough at the end of the season to build momentum headed into the playoffs, but the future of the team looks bright with Lester + Buchholz to build the rotation around and Delcarmen + Papelbon to build the bullpen around, with some good batters as well. Hopefully V-Mart gets resigned this off season since he seems to click well with the pitching staff and he's one of the best batting catchers in baseball.

Goran Dragic
06-19-2010, 01:05 PM
Adrian Beltre on pace for:

.339 average, 24 home runs, 113 rbis, while playing gold glove level defense. No one coulda dreamed he'd be this good of a pickup, Sox only 1 back after all the injuries they've had this year.

DBryant88
06-20-2010, 06:13 PM
Sox go for the sweep of the Dodgers tonight

DBryant88
07-15-2010, 11:53 PM
david Ortiz wins Home run derby...but sox lose first game back from all star break 7-2

Mel_13
07-21-2010, 07:06 PM
2-5 since the break. 7 games out of first.

scottspurs
07-22-2010, 03:43 PM
If red sox don't get healthy and start playing a lot better soon they will be out of the playoff race in a hurry.

scottspurs
08-04-2010, 01:46 AM
Sportscenter: "Don't mess with Josh Beckett he's from Texas." Best recognize.

DoKdynasty
08-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Meh they've been better than I thought they would be this year health has just gotten in the way. It's good to see Beckett might finally be healthy but it's gonna be really hard for them when they have two months to play catchup against two very good teams that aren't going away anytime soon. I know some people weren't too happy about it but I don't blame the FO for not making any deadline deals, there's no way to gauge where this team is at right now based on how the season has gone. If they get healthy, go on a run and make the playoffs, great. If not, then they have a very good team headed into next season that has a long off season to get healthy.

EricB
08-05-2010, 03:43 PM
Kevin Youklis out for the year.

Damn, the Sox are just bitten hardcore.

DoKdynasty
08-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Yeah that pretty much seals their fate, he's IMO the most important bat on the team and his presence in general does so much for them. Oh well, it wasn't meant to be this year.

ducks
08-05-2010, 04:16 PM
they put their closer on waviers

be intestering to see if they deal him now

EricB
08-05-2010, 05:56 PM
Papelbon was claimed, so interesting to see if the Red Sox work out a deal with said team...

DoKdynasty
08-05-2010, 06:00 PM
Would be stupid to trade him. He's still a young guy and is one of the best closers in baseball when healthy. They've got Papelbon in the 9th inning and Lester + Buchholz at the top of their rotation for the next decade, no reason to fuck that up.

crc21209
08-10-2010, 11:04 PM
Papelbon was claimed, so interesting to see if the Red Sox work out a deal with said team...

No chance of happening. Besides Bard and Papelbon, their pen is shit. They are only 5 games back of the Yanks now and 4 1/2 of the Rays with ALOT of baseball still to be played...It's still too early.

sribb43
08-13-2010, 11:40 PM
:lmao

lefty
09-02-2010, 08:11 AM
bump

Mel_13
09-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Papelbon blows his 7th save of the season, leading to this tweet from Bill Simmons:

RIP, my Papelboner (2005-2010).

http://twitter.com/sportsguy33

crc21209
09-06-2010, 01:00 AM
Lost season indeed...just too many injuries and bullpen issues to overcome...

lefty
09-06-2010, 09:50 PM
fUCK