PDA

View Full Version : McGrady says retirement a possibility

Kai
04-16-2010, 12:36 PM
Tracy McGrady is at a career crossroads, and he knows it.

The New York Knicks' swingman remains optimistic that an extensive training program this summer can help him regain the form that made him an NBA All-Star. But if his game doesn't return, he'll retire, he said Wednesday.

"If it don't happen this summer, I'll ride off into the sunset," McGrady told reporters before sitting out the Knicks' season finale, a 131-113 loss at Toronto.

If I could go through another offseason of working my [butt] off, and I don't feel I'm getting any better, I can't see myself coming back playing the way I'm playing right now. I just don't see it happening.

-- Tracy McGrady
"If I could go through another offseason of working my [butt] off, and I don't feel I'm getting any better, I can't see myself coming back playing the way I'm playing right now. I just don't see it happening," he said.

McGrady has played in just 65 games total the past two seasons after battling injuries and recovering from microfracture surgery on his left knee. The last 24 of those games were played with the Knicks, who acquired McGrady -- and his expiring contract -- in a trade with the Houston Rockets in February.

McGrady scored 26 points in his debut with the Knicks, on Feb. 20 against the Thunder. But he cracked the 20-point plateau just two more times and finished the season averaging 8.2 points per game, well below his career 21.5 ppg scoring average.

"You know what, after I realized I had something in the tank -- there were some games I did play well -- I was, like, really trying not to get hurt," McGrady told reporters on Wednesday.

"[Coach Mike D'Antoni] knew I wasn't going to be the T-Mac he was used to competing against when he was in Phoenix," McGrady said. "I knew I wasn't going to be that, but it was good for me to finally get out there and see where I was at physically after missing 1½ years of basketball."

Still, McGrady is hopeful a summer of intense training will extend his career. He's a free agent and though his future in New York is doubtful, he hopes he can catch on with a contender next season -- or at least resemble the player who won a pair of NBA scoring titles.

"I feel confident that I will be able to go and not worry about calling it quits," he said. "It's just been too much of constantly just grinding and trying to get it back. Mentally, it took a toll on me the last couple of years. I don't want to go through that again.

"This summer, I will continue to work hard and get myself and get in good shape and pay the best money doctors can buy and physical therapists and everything to get myself where I need to be."

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=5092348

djohn2oo8
04-16-2010, 12:43 PM
Would've been interesting to see how he would have turned out if he didn't have injury after injury, just like Yao

ChrisRichards
04-16-2010, 12:54 PM
Dont let your eye hit you on the way out.

djohn2oo8
04-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Dont let you eye hit you on the way out.

:lol Burned bridges everywhere he's been, even the short time he's been in New York

fo'shizzle
04-16-2010, 12:57 PM
lol scoring champ next season

Donkeybong
04-16-2010, 01:02 PM
Vet's min in LA. Do it Mitch!

tlongII
04-16-2010, 03:34 PM
I don't think he has the work ethic to make it back.

Höfner
04-16-2010, 03:50 PM
He just doesn't have the focus.

Budkin
04-16-2010, 05:43 PM
Penny Hardaway the Second... must be something in Orlando...

DaDakota
04-16-2010, 11:29 PM
What a woman.

DD

SenorSpur
04-16-2010, 11:34 PM
If he's talking about it, then he should be about it.

spursfaninla
04-17-2010, 01:17 AM
His game was predicated too much on his athleticism. He would have to completely retool his skill set, and get back physically. extremely unlikely.

dirk4mvp
04-17-2010, 01:19 AM
Sucks.

His game was predicated too much on his athleticism.

what?

Danny.Zhu
04-17-2010, 07:21 AM
Come play for Yao Ming's Shanghai Sharks, destroy Starbury, Smush Parker, and help us win the Championship in Chinese Basketball Association next year.

pauls931
04-17-2010, 07:39 AM
Come play for Yao Ming's Shanghai Sharks, destroy Starbury, Smush Parker, and help us win the Championship in Chinese Basketball Association next year.

LMAO, I just came in here to post something along the lines of him playing in China.