PDA

View Full Version : Ray Allen Calls Out Bruce Bowen Again

ducks
05-05-2005, 09:31 PM
if anyone can slow Allen, it may be archenemy Bowen
By TIM KORTE, AP Sports Writer
May 5, 2005

SEATTLE (AP) -- Ray Allen took a seat on a water bucket after practice Thursday, and it wasn't long before he was asked about Bruce Bowen.

``It's going to be a key matchup, definitely,'' Allen said as the Seattle SuperSonics prepared to play the San Antonio Spurs.

But it's actually so much more.

ADVERTISEMENT
Making the showdown between one of the NBA's best shooters and best defenders even more interesting is Allen's distaste for Bowen, a former friend.

The Western Conference semifinal series starts Sunday in San Antonio.

Allen averaged 32.4 points as the Seattle SuperSonics eliminated Sacramento in five games, but Bowen has been the one defender who most flummoxes Seattle's five-time All-Star guard. He stays on Allen's hip like a parasite every time they play, needling his way into Allen's head.

``It's the stuff he does that referees don't see,'' Allen said. ``He pulls on you. He grabs you. He hits your elbow when you shoot. When you go to the basket, he'll shove you and then he'll fall.

``Just stuff like that that's real annoying. That's not really basketball.''

Bowen has always maintained he's simply doing his job by stopping the other team's best offensive player. He's been named to the NBA's last four All-Defensive Teams, and a fifth appearance should be a lock when the award is announced next week.

``They have one of the hottest players in the league right now with Ray Allen,'' Bowen said after the Spurs eliminated Denver on Wednesday. ``We will have to come up with a good game plan to stop them.''

Bowen has done it before.

After an especially frustrating 3-for-12 shooting performance against the Spurs in February 2004, Allen was angry in the locker room. He said he wanted to fight Bowen and accused him of playing ``sissy basketball.''

The last time they squared off, a win by the Spurs on March 30, Allen iced his thumb afterward and implied Bowen had injured him during a 6-for-17 night. But for Seattle to advance, Allen knows he'll just have to ignore his nemesis.

``Oddly enough, Bruce used to be a good friend of mine -- used to be,'' Allen said. ``We used to hang out in the summertime until he started playing a brand new brand of basketball.''

Sonics coach Nate McMillan has no concerns about the matchup getting ugly. He praised Bowen's aggression and ability to avoid screens.

``Ray will be OK,'' McMillan said. ``Ray has played against him a number of times and knows what he wants to do. And we know what we've got to do. We've got to set screens. We've got to get him open, just as we did in this last series.''

Allen has momentum. He scored 75 points and shot 60 percent from the field over the final two games against Sacramento, which included an exciting 45-point scoring effort on the road in Game 4.

``He's the guy,'' San Antonio's Manu Ginobili said. ``He's playing great right now. We're going to have to take care of him and guard him tough. Bruce will be guarding him, but it will have to be a team effort.''

The Spurs are certain to gear their defense to stop Allen, much as they did against Carmelo Anthony in the first round.

``I don't foresee it being as easy as it was before,'' Allen said. ``We're going to have to work.''

Kori Ellis
05-05-2005, 09:38 PM
Why doesn't Ray just shutup and play?

He's a good player; he can just let his game speak for itself. He had a great two first games this year against Bowen. He sat out the third one and then had to start with his stupid talk after getting owned in the fourth game. He should have just shutup. He was up on Bowen 2-1 for the season.

E20
05-05-2005, 09:46 PM
Look at Bowen being quiet and modest and playing the game while, Ray Allen talks smack. Bowen what a role model type of player, keeps his mouth quiet and does his job.

``It's the stuff he does that referees don't see,'' Allen said. ``He pulls on you. He grabs you.
WTF!? Of course the refs will see a grab and pull does he think the refs are blind. And every player does the tapping on the elbow thing, it's good strategy!

mookie2001
05-05-2005, 09:47 PM
yeah right
bruce doesnt let punks get inside his head ray will be shutdown

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
05-05-2005, 09:48 PM
And the whinning begins...damn, are the Spurs going to face an opponent who doesn't cry like a baby in the playoffs?

E20
05-05-2005, 09:49 PM
Bowen hasn't done anything and the crying is already begun, he's more worse than a fusion of George Karl, Martin, Carmelo.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-05-2005, 09:50 PM
I figured that Allen would start bitching and moaning like a little Karl before the first game, but figured he'd at least wait til' the weekend to start.

Coward.

Super SONIC
05-05-2005, 09:52 PM
Why doesn't Ray just shutup and play?

He's a good player; he can just let his game speak for itself. He had a great two first games this year against Bowen. He sat out the third one and then had to start with his stupid talk after getting owned in the fourth game. He should have just shutup. He was up on Bowen 2-1 for the season.

Is it not true that more than one team or player have complained about Bowen's defense? Maybe Bowen is a dirty player and no Spurs fans want to admit it.
:pctoss

T Park
05-05-2005, 09:52 PM
what a fuckin punk.

Kori Ellis
05-05-2005, 09:53 PM
Is it not true that more than one team or player have complained about Bowen's defense? Maybe Bowen is a dirty player and no Spurs fans want to admit it.

Sure, both Ray Allen and Vince Carter have complained after getting owned. Bowen is damn crafty, but he doesn't punch people in the stomach as Ray has said. There's no defending a stupid claim like that.

Obstructed_View
And the whinning begins...damn, are the Spurs going to face an opponent who doesn't cry like a baby in the playoffs?
Nope, because they have either Dallas or Phoenix waiting for them after this. I don't guess I remember Detroit fans crying, they just throw shit. Nobody could possibly be worse than Denver.

Could they?

Super SONIC
And another curse word from TPARK....

picnroll
05-05-2005, 09:54 PM
All the pussies complain. You don't see TMac, Kobe, Lebron, Melo ... saying diddly. The biggest pussy of them all is Allen. He can't stand any contact. He thinks he should just be allowed to shoot without anyone touching him. I's going to be a very whiny series.

mookie2001
05-05-2005, 09:55 PM
if i had big strong dude on my nuts for 40 min i would whine too, but its legal, if it wasnt he'd foul out, the fact is that he's a SUPERIOR perimeter defender and they get shutdown, so they bitch

mattyc
05-05-2005, 10:59 PM
``It's the stuff he does that referees don't see,'' Allen said. ``He pulls on you. He grabs you. He hits your elbow when you shoot. When you go to the basket, he'll shove you and then he'll fall.

``Just stuff like that that's real annoying. That's not really basketball.''

*sniffle*

HB22inSA
05-05-2005, 11:09 PM
I'm surprised at Ray Allen, I really thought he'd bite his tongue this time around.

He'll get a few more calls against Bowen just for doing this, but it won't matter in the end.

Spurs in 5.

FromWayDowntown
05-05-2005, 11:11 PM
sure a couple of guys have complained, but only the squeaky wheel gets the grease. To me, it's far more telling that you never hear persistent complaints like these from guys like Kobe Bryant or Tracy McGrady. Those dudes just shut up and play, no matter what else people want to think about them. Their recourse against Bowen is to try to up their games, rather than bitching in the media and hoping for more bail outs.

Of course, Ray has been tutored by the reigning master of going to the media with your bitching, so maybe that explains why we're even talking about this.

It's the freakin' playoffs -- just play.

texbumTHElife
05-05-2005, 11:13 PM
This is nothing more than an early strike by Ray Allen to get the refs watching Bowen closer. It worked for George Karl in the Denver series and it will work against Seattle I have no doubt. Either way, the Spurs play TEAM defense and although Bowen gets the most props for being our "shut down" defender we have two other guys who we can throw at Allen who can shut him down (Ginobilli, Brown when healthy). I think the key to slowing down Ray Allen is making HIM work on defense. Make him run around all the screens all day and wear him out. That has been just as effective against him as great on ball defense.

Im not worried at all.

Supergirl
05-05-2005, 11:18 PM
Actually, I don't think anyone on Phoenix has whined or complained about Bowen. Marion plays very similar, also very good D, so I think he and Bowen respect each other. And Nash knows he doesn't know how or want to play D, and that good defensive players can shut him down.

Allen is just trying to do what Karl did and prep the refs. Bowen's smart enough how to play to the way the refs call the game, each and every night. We'll be fine. Allen's showing his fear. He's a big overrated glamour shot and he knows it.

T Park
05-05-2005, 11:20 PM

Fuckin A.

texbumTHElife
05-05-2005, 11:20 PM
Marion plays very similar, also very good D, so I think he and Bowen respect each other.

Thats it, you're cut off. Just stop, now.

T Park
05-05-2005, 11:29 PM
Marion does play good defense.

Stop telling people they are cut off Forum police. STFU.

mookie2001
05-05-2005, 11:45 PM
i had a great idea for a tv show where i was a retired umpire who bartended, at the center of the earth

"we dont get many of you molton rock guys down here"
"well at these prices im not surprised"
"thats it, yoooouuuurrrrrrrrrrreee outta here!!!!!!!"

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-05-2005, 11:49 PM

Look around, dumbass. This isn't the fucking Disney Channel.

samikeyp
05-05-2005, 11:54 PM
Sounds like Ray's strained ovary is acting up again.

T Park
05-05-2005, 11:59 PM

lol great line.

BTW, did Aggie just have my back there/????

SNIFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFf

Obstructed_View
05-06-2005, 12:05 AM
If Bowen were a dirty player, he'd foul out of games, get lots of technicals and flagrants, he'd be ejected a lot and fined by the league. If nothing else his fouls would have gone WAY up this year when they changed the rules.

None of that happens, you know why? Because he moves his feet and keeps a hand in your face. He's always there, and he'll do anything to piss you off if it takes you out of your game.

Add to all this that there is no intent to injure from Bowen in his history, and the claim of being dirty is just ridiculous. If you say Bowen intended to step under Carter, then Rasheed should be blamed for stepping under Duncan.

HB22inSA
05-06-2005, 12:29 AM
I wouldn't say Bruce Bowen is dirty, but he does get away with alot.

One of the keys is that he's always got his hands up when he defends, and he gets caught when he reaches.

Players around the League just aren't used to a defender being up in their chest for the entire game.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-06-2005, 12:43 AM
aybe Bowen is a dirty player and no Spurs fans want to admit it.

I just want to see the Karly little Sonics fan explain to me how a guy plays dirty when he's moving his feet and has both hands up where the whole world can see them.

Kori Ellis
05-06-2005, 12:50 AM
I just want to see the Karly little Sonics fan explain to me how a guy plays dirty when he's moving his feet and has both hands up where the whole world can see them.

What are you talking about AHF? Can't you see, Bowen is punching him in the stomach. :rolleyes

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/basketball/nba/specials/playoffs/2005/05/05/sonics.spurs.ap/p1.bowen.allen.jpg

HB22inSA
05-06-2005, 01:01 AM
I expect Bowen to get 2 fouls in the first 3 minutes on Sunday.

toosmallshoes
05-06-2005, 05:37 AM
great pic kori

Taco
05-06-2005, 07:02 AM
Ray Allen who's your daddy?

George Karl and look where all that Bitching got him.

GrandeDavid
05-06-2005, 07:11 AM

I don't think Phoenix whines too much, so hopefully they'll advance. The Spurs, if they still healthy, fear no team and will lose to no team in a seven game series. Period.

CyberBob
05-06-2005, 07:18 AM
Ray Allen cries...

Watch Allen call out Bruce... (http://www.woai.com/mediacenter/?videoId=111126,565)

CosmicCowboy
05-06-2005, 07:46 AM
Bruce is a damn smart defender that DOES get away with a lot of stuff...he gets closer to the guy he is guarding than most defenders do and has very active hands...but he gets away with it because he plays good fundamental defense, moves his feet, and stays in front of his guy and goes 100% for the full shot clock...he is normally very aware of ref angles and will push the envelope with hand checks and grabs when he thinks he can get away with it. But "dirty"? Nope. Everyone out there is trying to get away with the little things...he is just better at it than most.

sure glad he's a Spur.

rwb
05-06-2005, 07:56 AM
I love watching Bruce's defense...he's like a hyperactive gnat. I have no doubt of his abilility to frustrate whoever he's defending, but being frustrating isn't the same as being dirty. Ray Allen just needs to shut the hell up and play. I have no respect for whiners. Great pic, Kori!

SpursWoman
05-06-2005, 08:20 AM
Ray Allen Calls Out Bruce Bowen Again

:blah :cry :blah :cry :blah

That's all I've got to say about that. :)

GrandeDavid
05-06-2005, 08:27 AM
I think Ray would defeat Bruce in a game of horse, but that's about it.

Sonia_TX
05-06-2005, 08:28 AM
Yesterday on the news they had audio of Ray Allen saying something like "they put Bruce in there to throw punches and elbows."

I don't remember ever seeing Bruce do that. Maybe I'm mistaken. But wouldn't you think that if Bruce threw a punch he would be ejected? I can't wait for Bruce to show up Ray! Bring him on.

SouthernFried
05-06-2005, 08:58 AM
Why do they always say Bruce is a dirty...it's simply a lie. They are playing head games, and the true greats dont play them. Pop has every opportunity to say the same type of stuff, and as much as I've had my disagreements with him over the years, he is a class act in this regard.

All offensive players hate a good defensive player, nothing new here. I just hate to see the lying and whining about it.

Bowen is a great "off-the-ball" defender. Offensive players rely on screens and movement to initially get the ball. 75% of Bowens defense is trying to stop the offensive player from getting the ball in the first place. That's what frustrates offensive players the most...if they can't get the ball, they can't be stars. Bowen doesn't let up, he's in their face with or without the ball, and it simply takes them out of the game. If they have to work so damned hard just to get the ball, by the time they do get it, they've lost a step or two just from the exhaustion of trying to get away from Bowen!

It's one of my favorite things to do, watch Bowen guarding his man when the action is elsewhere. He simply doesn't care...his job is to guard the scorer, and he never gets out of his jersey.

It's a beautiful thing to see.

Bowen

Ginofan
05-06-2005, 09:04 AM
I thought we could at least PLAY one game before the whining started, good grief.

ladiesman
05-06-2005, 09:58 AM
Funny, both T-Mac and Kobe have always given props to Bruce.... I guess second tier guards can't handle the pressure.... I was going to suggest a V-Bookie bet on when he was going to start crying.... :rolleyes

Extra Stout
05-06-2005, 10:23 AM
:pctossDirty or not, only a pussy whines about it before the series even freaking starts.

Maybe half the Sonics roster is crapping their pants at the thought of playing the Spurs, and are just yapping to the press to compensate, and no Sonics fans want to admit it.

Summers
05-06-2005, 10:26 AM

Thank you! I hate asterisks. :)

FromWayDowntown
05-06-2005, 10:30 AM
What's really funny to me is that the Sonics themselves can't seem to decide what they want -- Allen wants everything called, but James and Fortson have said that they want the officials to allow them to be physical with Tim. I understand that post players tend to get away with more contact, but on top of the unseemly nature of pre-series whining about officiating, it would be nice if the Sonics could get on the same page with regard to what they're whining about.

I thought it was funny that the Seattle papers ran a headline today about the "mind games beginning," but make no mention of any talk by the Spurs about that kind of stuff. I'd think that if you have a team already trying to find excuses before the series starts -- anticipating that things might "go against them" -- that team is halfway beaten anyway.

Shut up and play ball.

Extra Stout
05-06-2005, 10:32 AM
^^^ Yeah, the Sonics are playing mind games against themselves. They're trying to convince themselves they actually have a chance. I don't think they really want any part of the Spurs.

Hopefully the Spurs don't do anything to give them confidence. If they smell the blood and put the clamps down, this thing could be over really fast.

MiNuS
05-06-2005, 10:56 AM
the best response BOWEN will give is on the court not with a microphone in front of his mouth.
Allen likes fallaceous objects to spew garbage.

Bowen OWNS Allens mind!

tlongII
05-06-2005, 11:41 AM
I hope Ray Allen torches him. Bowen is a hack.

bigbendbruisebrother
05-06-2005, 11:49 AM
We're already in their heads. Wow.

This is going to be fun.

Extra Stout
05-06-2005, 11:52 AM
I hope Ray Allen torches him. Bowen is a hack.Every time I read this sort of thing from another team's fans, it makes me smile. The Spurs are getting in everyone's heads. The viewing public is moving from indifference to hatred.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lmao :cooldevil

SouthernFried
05-06-2005, 11:53 AM
"I hope Ray Allen torches him. Bowen is a hack."

Man, that was simply Brilliant and so well thought out. Probably took several hours away from your scheduled dog-beating time too.

Impressive.

woof woof

tlongII
05-06-2005, 12:00 PM
"I hope Ray Allen torches him. Bowen is a hack."

Man, that was simply Brilliant and so well thought out. Probably took several hours away from your scheduled dog-beating time too.

Impressive.

woof woof

Short. To the point. Accurate. What else do you want?

SouthernFried
05-06-2005, 12:03 PM
I guess intelligence is too much to ask for?

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-06-2005, 12:08 PM
Winners know how to keep someone from getting under their skin.

Allen is already scared, it's obvious.

Spurs in 4.

weebo
05-06-2005, 12:10 PM
``Oddly enough, Bruce used to be a good friend of mine -- used to be,'' Allen said. ``We used to hang out in the summertime until he started playing a brand new brand of basketball.''

What new brand of basketball is he talking about? Winning perhaps?

Extra Stout
05-06-2005, 12:10 PM
Winners know how to keep someone from getting under their skin.

Allen is already scared, it's obvious.

Spurs in 4.In a close game, in the fourth quarter, when execution counts, when every possession is critical, when Ray Allen needs to focus on the task at hand, will he be thinking about the game, or about how Bruce Bowen irritates him?

His kind of attitude is that of players and teams who wilt under pressure.

picnroll
05-06-2005, 12:12 PM
Once Seattle and the Mavs are out the path will be whiner free. You won't get a lot of crying from Houston, Phoenix, Miami, or Detroit. Just one more group of pussies to put up with.

SouthernFried
05-06-2005, 12:20 PM
Freinds who end a freindship because of the way you play basketball against them, you can do without.

Nothing but a spoiled child who'll be freinds with you...as long as you don't do anything better then he does, or show him up in anything.

There usta be more adults in the NBA.

MadDog73
05-06-2005, 12:26 PM
Once Seattle and the Mavs are out the path will be whiner free. You won't get a lot of crying from Houston, Phoenix, Miami, or Detroit. Just one more group of pussies to put up with.

I don't know, do you count Van Gundy's rant as "whining?" I guess not.

It was pretty funny watching AJ respond: "Do I need to be crazy?" AJ - you already are! :lol

CosmicCowboy
05-06-2005, 12:27 PM
Freinds who end a freindship because of the way you play basketball against them, you can do without.

Nothing but a spoiled child who'll be freinds with you...as long as you don't do anything better then he does, or show him up in anything.

Denver's problems are not with their playing ability...but, their maturity level.

:lmao

*Ray Allen on phone*

"Hey Bro...whos gonna be at the pickup game today?"

*listening*...."uh huh....uh huh...uh huh...uh huh...WHO?...FUCK!...Bowen?"

"uhhh...say Bro...I don't think I can make it today...I think I feel a little stomach virus coming on...":lol

williemoonshine
05-06-2005, 12:36 PM
Bruce Bowen... 1st team all Defense four years and running.... nuff said.
Ray is trying to generate the officials attention on Bruce, but there is nothing dirty about playing actual defense, a lost art in today's NBA game.

Obstructed_View
05-06-2005, 12:40 PM
I hope Ray Allen torches him. Bowen is a hack.
Spoken like a true fan of a headcase team.

waly.mg
05-06-2005, 12:44 PM
The Sonics are a scorer perimeter team, and we have 2 of the best perimeter defenders: Bowen and Manu

Parker on Ridnour, Bowen on Allen and Manu on Lewis

tlongII
05-06-2005, 12:45 PM
Bowen is a no talent hack and anybody that's not a Spurs homer knows that.

Extra Stout
05-06-2005, 12:47 PM
Bowen is a no talent hack and anybody that's not a Spurs homer knows that.Wow, so I guess there are a lot of Spurs homers in journalism and in the NBA coaching ranks. That's the only explanation for his consistently getting votes for DPOY and the All-Defense teams.

Speaking of no-talent hacks, how's it look in Portland's draft war room?

SouthernFried
05-06-2005, 12:48 PM
"Bowen is a no talent hack."

Wow...it only took you 45 minutes to repeat yourself.

See... finishing the 6th grade did come in handy after all.

jalbre6
05-06-2005, 12:49 PM

No talent hack that finished second in the DPOY voting, right?

Well, if he's that crappy of a player I'm glad SA is the team dumb enough to start him.

picnroll
05-06-2005, 12:58 PM
Shouldn't you be here (http://www.portlandseadogs.com/).

Useruser666
05-06-2005, 01:02 PM
http://img167.echo.cx/img167/6338/rayallenwuss9kq.jpg

SpursWoman
05-06-2005, 01:05 PM
:lol :lol

Extra Stout
05-06-2005, 01:06 PM
Shouldn't you be here (http://www.portlandseadogs.com/).Psst, the Trail Blazers play in Portland, Oregon.

jalbre6
05-06-2005, 01:19 PM
Psst, the Trail Blazers play in Portland, Oregon.

That's funny. I thought the minor league team was called the Beavers, and I clicked on that link and saw "Sea Dogs", and figured they just changed the name.

picnroll
05-06-2005, 01:23 PM
Psst, the Trail Blazers play in Portland, Oregon.
:oops :lol

bigbendbruisebrother
05-06-2005, 01:38 PM
I guess intelligence is too much to ask for?

Dude, he's a jailblazer fan. YES intelligence is too much to ask for.

Obstructed_View
05-06-2005, 03:23 PM
Allen vs. ...
http://home.comcast.net/~scottjhepple/BowenPred.jpg

sa_butta
05-06-2005, 03:27 PM
Every time I read this sort of thing from another team's fans, it makes me smile. The Spurs are getting in everyone's heads. The viewing public is moving from indifference to hatred.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lmao :cooldevilAll this means is that Bruce is already under his skin.
Upperhand-Bruce
But he has to be careful cause of this crybaby bitch they will
be watching a little closer.

Horry For 3!
05-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Ray Allen is always whining about Bowen's defense. He just needs to get over it and realize that Bowen owns him.

50 cent
05-06-2005, 06:09 PM
Ray Allen =
http://www.threadless.com/subs/small/29630t.gif

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-06-2005, 06:52 PM
Bowen is a hack.

I don't know, maybe I'm out of touch with reality, but I'd think a "hack" would average more than 2.5 fouls per game, especially being under scrutiny like he is from the refs.