PDA

View Full Version : Cap higher than expected for next season...

scottspurs
04-16-2010, 02:23 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5099980

NBA cap projection higher than thought

By Chris Sheridan
ESPN.com

NEW YORK -- The New York Knicks and other teams hoarding salary-cap space got some good news Friday when they were told at the league's Board of Governors meeting that the projected 2010-11 salary cap will be $56.1 million.

That figure was $2 million to $3 million more than most teams had been expecting, and for the Knicks it ensures they have enough cap space this summer to sign two maximum-salary free agents.

"That's a lot of money. That's good," said Knicks president Donnie Walsh, who attended the meeting to learn the results of the Knicks' draft position through a tiebreaker.

Because of the worldwide economic downturn, the league had warned teams last July to expect the salary cap to be significantly lower -- perhaps as low as $51 million.

Other teams that will be positively affected by Friday's news include the Nets, Heat, Wizards, Bulls, Clippers and Timberwolves.

Chris Sheridan is an ESPN.com NBA senior writer.

This is great news for the spurs.

Mark in Austin
04-16-2010, 02:26 PM
It will be interesting to see where this will set the Luxury Tax threshold...

Bruno
04-16-2010, 02:32 PM
It will be interesting to see where this will set the Luxury Tax threshold...

The luxury tax threshold should be at $68.5M with a $56.1M salary cap.

scottspurs
04-16-2010, 02:35 PM
The spurs will have a little more room to work with than originally thought.

Bruno
04-16-2010, 02:36 PM
Two Spurs related thoughts about that:

First, this high number is a good news for Spurs. With a higher luxury tax level, they will have less financial constraints this summer.

Second, it makes the Ginobili extension looked better. A higher cap space number means that odds would have been higher of a team offering big money to Manu. The extension ensures that nobody will steal "our" Manu.

admiralsnackbar
04-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Third, it may mean Jefferson will ask to be bought out.

TwelveGs210
04-16-2010, 02:39 PM
The spurs will have a little more room to work with than originally thought.

Great news considering we need to sign splitter in the off season somehow.

Bruno
04-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Third, it may mean Jefferson will ask to be bought out.

If RJ wants to leave to get a new contract, he can just not pick his player option for 2010-2011. There's no need of a buyout.

admiralsnackbar
04-16-2010, 02:46 PM
If RJ wants to leave to get a new contract, he can just not pick his player option for 2010-2011. There's no need of a buyout.

Ah, quite so. But I guess the point still stands that he will be likelier to split, n'cest pas?

Bruno
04-16-2010, 02:50 PM
Ah, quite so. But I guess the point still stands that he will be likelier to split, n'cest pas?

Yes, but it's only slightly "likelier".
RJ will be crazy to leave $15.2M on the table even with the salary cap at $56M instead of the $54M previously projected.

Libri
04-16-2010, 02:52 PM
Second, it makes the Ginobili extension looked better. A higher cap space number means that odds would have been higher of a team offering big money to Manu. The extension ensures that nobody will steal "our" Manu.

I wonder if the Spurs knew about this. Regardless, the Spurs made the right move to offer the extension now, instead of regretting it later.

spursfaninla
04-16-2010, 02:55 PM
RJ does not stand to benefit much from opting out IMO, although he said the issue is complex and depends on several factors.

Some of the relevant conditions that establish his value are known:

1) his past performance (plus)
2) health (plus)
3) current performance (minus)
4) salary cap (plus)
5) teams with salary cap (plus)

Some of those are not known:

1) How well he does in the playoffs to raise his value
2) How well Spurs do, so that they would want him back, and he would want to come back
3) How much loyalty he feels towards the Spurs (as of yet, likely not much)
4) What kind of new bargaining agreement is developed, and how much it would impact his salary in the future. (likely minus)

MOst are assuming the new bargaining agreement will hurt future salaries. He already said if he wins a championship, he might want to go get paid. Otherwise, it depends. Sadly, if he performs well in the playoffs he is more likely to try to leave.

scottspurs
04-16-2010, 03:06 PM
RJ does not stand to benefit much from opting out IMO, although he said the issue is complex and depends on several factors.

Some of the relevant conditions that establish his value are known:

1) his past performance (plus)
2) health (plus)
3) current performance (minus)
4) salary cap (plus)
5) teams with salary cap (plus)

Some of those are not known:

1) How well he does in the playoffs to raise his value
2) How well Spurs do, so that they would want him back, and he would want to come back
3) How much loyalty he feels towards the Spurs (as of yet, likely not much)
4) What kind of new bargaining agreement is developed, and how much it would impact his salary in the future. (likely minus)

MOst are assuming the new bargaining agreement will hurt future salaries. He already said if he wins a championship, he might want to go get paid. Otherwise, it depends. Sadly, if he performs well in the playoffs he is more likely to try to leave.

If Jefferson steps his game/numbers up in the playoffs I expect the spurs to go far. The farther the spurs go the more likely jefferson will want to stay. If Jefferson is to opt out I see him doing so because he becomes the scape goat if the spurs were to get bounced by the Mavs.

MADTOBY
04-16-2010, 03:10 PM
that is good news

Cane
04-16-2010, 03:31 PM
Jefferson has fully acknowledged him being a disappointment to the Spurs system which on the one hand sounds good but the other sounds shitty since that can mean he's simply not digging the silver and black. And with Pop's coaching style and demanding system (even the neutered one played nowadays) its not an easy transition especially coming from a team like the pre-Jennings Bucks.

I agree it'd be hard to turn down that much cash but maybe he and his agent know something we don't. I can see a lot of players getting overpaid this upcoming summer since imo its going to be a battle for the leftovers.

TheChillFactor
04-16-2010, 04:14 PM
no effing way RJ opts out.

baseline bum
04-16-2010, 05:24 PM
Wow. $56.1 million is great news for Miami. Check out their commitments:

Michael Beasley: $4.96M
Daequan Cook: $2.17M
Mario Chalmers: $0.85M
18th pick: $1.24M

Then re-sign Dwayne Wade at 30% of $56.1M = $16.8M (MAX)
Then add Chris Bosh at 30% of $56.1M = $16.8M (MAX)
Then 5 contracts under 11 = 5*$0.47M = $2.4M (5 minimum contracts)

TOTAL: $45.2 M.

That leaves $10.9 million to go and sign another impact player.

silverblk mystix
04-16-2010, 05:28 PM
check out the article on yahoo sports talking about the league already KNEW the cap would not be as low as they first stated---(50-51 mil)---and the charge of COLLUSION--

against Stern and the NBA---

stating that this LOW cap---kept other teams from going after TOP free agents....hmmm

Dex
04-16-2010, 05:30 PM
:tu

So glad Manu extended with the Spurs. I did not want to deal with that question mark in the off season. Despite all the gloom, it worked out just like it should.

ChumpDumper
04-16-2010, 05:35 PM
check out the article on yahoo sports talking about the league already KNEW the cap would not be as low as they first stated---(50-51 mil)---and the charge of COLLUSION--

stating that this LOW cap---kept other teams from going after TOP free agents....hmmmhttp://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AngRcgvhx1h_iECaEKWPDcC8vLYF?slug=ys-collusioninvestigation041610

Given the general economic gloom and doom last year, that would be a difficult charge to prove.

silverblk mystix
04-16-2010, 05:40 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AngRcgvhx1h_iECaEKWPDcC8vLYF?slug=ys-collusioninvestigation041610

Given the general economic gloom and doom last year, that would be a difficult charge to prove.

agreed.

just wondering , though, which franchises/organizations are pushing for this ---accusation? charge? of collusion....

trying to think if some team feels THEY were negatively affected...

ChumpDumper
04-16-2010, 05:43 PM
agreed.

just wondering , though, which franchises/organizations are pushing for this ---accusation? charge? of collusion....

trying to think if some team feels THEY were negatively affected...The article had an old quote from the players' union. They would be the ones with the beef.

Solid D
04-16-2010, 06:21 PM
Great news considering we need to sign splitter in the off season somehow.

Exactly. RC said they were going to make signing Tiago Splitter a priority. This news may make the difference in changing the Spurs track record with him...and Tau for that matter.

callo1
04-16-2010, 07:31 PM
RJ is going to change alot of this "I hope RJ opts out" talk in these playoffs.

Book it!!

vander
04-16-2010, 07:55 PM

First, this high number is a good news for Spurs. With a higher luxury tax level, they will have less financial constraints this summer.

didn't Manu get the most SA could possibly offer? I don't see how this or anything else could make that look better, did they not even try to negotiate? did they actually think someone was going to offer him the same money as Lebron? :bang the freaking MAX!!! they had plenty of bargaining chips, yet they couldn't even bring it down a few million?!?:bang

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-16-2010, 08:04 PM

I'm betting Manu wasn't extended until they got this number. Once they had it in hand, they gave Rudoy a call.

silverblk mystix
04-16-2010, 09:03 PM
didn't Manu get the most SA could possibly offer? I don't see how this or anything else could make that look better, did they not even try to negotiate? did they actually think someone was going to offer him the same money as Lebron? :bang the freaking MAX!!! they had plenty of bargaining chips, yet they couldn't even bring it down a few million?!?:bang

Manu is STILL a bargain at the spurs max rate---plus he has taken reasonable deals in the past---he could have been greedy years before this...

appreciate him

timvp
04-16-2010, 09:51 PM
Good news :tu

Since Holt has now gone Big Baller on us and isn't afraid to spend money, this will give the team even more money to toss around.

ChumpDumper
04-16-2010, 09:51 PM
didn't Manu get the most SA could possibly offer? I don't see how this or anything else could make that look better, did they not even try to negotiate? did they actually think someone was going to offer him the same money as Lebron? :bang the freaking MAX!!! they had plenty of bargaining chips, yet they couldn't even bring it down a few million?!?:bangWhat bargaining chips?

vander
04-16-2010, 10:05 PM
What bargaining chips?

age, health, consistency, the fact that no one else has actually offered him anything yet...

ChumpDumper
04-16-2010, 10:11 PM
age, health, consistency, the fact that no one else has actually offered him anything yet...None of those outweigh Manu's carrying the team at the end of the season and the many, many season ticket holders that refused to renew until Manu was re-signed.

Besides, what difference would a couple million a year make at this point?

exstatic
04-16-2010, 10:52 PM

stating that this LOW cap---kept other teams from going after TOP free agents....hmmm

??? Nobody had cap room last year. It may have kept 2-3 teams from spending their MLE, but then again, they may not have spent it had they known that this number would pop up.

baseline bum
04-16-2010, 10:58 PM
None of those outweigh Manu's carrying the team at the end of the season and the many, many season ticket holders that refused to renew until Manu was re-signed.

You're talking to someone who thinks the Spurs shouldn't have spent more than the MLE. You're also talking to someone who thinks Kobe Bryant is one of the 2 greatest players in NBA history. Really, I'm not shitting you:

Really? Can you tell me how much they're paying for the Walton/Vujacic/Fisher trio?

I guess you magic ball can also tell you Kobe will be worth the $30M they'll be paying him 3 years from now... :rolleyes

yeah those are huge, terrible, crippling contracts :lol

and Kobe's contract will hurt them, that is kind of a legacy situation, all time great, career Laker, etc.

there's a difference between the 2nd best (maybe even best) player of all time, and just another good NBA player, you can bet the Lakers would never pay 40 million for an aging Manu

jjktkk
04-17-2010, 12:13 AM
You're talking to someone who thinks the Spurs shouldn't have spent more than the MLE. You're also talking to someone who thinks Kobe Bryant is one of the 2 greatest players in NBA history. Really, I'm not shitting you:

I just found out that Vander is a distant relative to the NBA's all-time cheapskate Clipper's owner Donald Sterling.

vander
04-17-2010, 12:14 AM
None of those outweigh Manu's carrying the team at the end of the season and the many, many season ticket holders that refused to renew until Manu was re-signed.

If the Spurs are going to start spending like the Lakers and Mavs, then no difference, but I think they still care about the lux tax, so that's a couple million a year they won't be spending on talent elsewhere, and Manu isn't going to be carying this team anywhere for those 3 years, we will need more talent, but I'm digressing into another issue...

my only point here is that they didn't even try to negotiate and get a better value for their dollar, seems like they're just throwing in the towel and are happy to field a slightly +.500 team for 3 more years...

what would have been the harm in letting Manu hit the FA market, and waiting for some other team to offer him 39 mil before offering him that much? and that would never have even happened, I doubt any other team even offers him 30, and I bet he would have taken a little less to stay in SA...

just bad business from the Spurs FO

vander
04-17-2010, 12:34 AM
I just found out that Vander is a distant relative to the NBA's all-time cheapskate Clipper's owner Donald Sterling.

:lol 'A fool and his money are soon parted'
Sterling is just relieving those foolish fans of their money :lol

those clipper fans need to stop going to the games while the team sucks, provide the incentive for Sterling to field a competitive team

Clipper fan is the model of the diehard fan, getting their blind loyalty exploited like that :nope which is why Fair Weather Fans rule

a lot of people on this site going to get their blind loyalty exploited in the coming years...