PDA

View Full Version : So, the Recipe Calls for White Wine. Suggestions Anyone

Guru of Nothing
08-23-2004, 01:31 AM
Subject line says it all. I've never bought a bottle of wine, though I once drank a boatload on an 8 hour Cathay-Pacific flight (which explains my fondness for the movie Ishtar)

Can I get a satisfactory bottle for $20?

Tips and suggestions wanted.

CosmicCowboyXXX
08-23-2004, 11:03 AM
You should be able to get a satisfactory bottle for cooking for $8-$10. If you plan on cooking with wine again I have a trick that we use...your recipe probably won't use the whole bottle...we save leftover wine (both red and white) by pouring it into ice trays and freezing it...then keep the cubes in a baggie in the freezer. It lasts virtually forever and you just thaw out enough cubes of whatever wine you need for whatever recipe you are doing...

We also occasionally make sangria for parties...one neat thing to do is take the ice trays and drop a red grape or fruit slices in each one...then pour part of the sangria in the trays...then use these ice cubes when you serve the sangria...it looks good and the melting ice doesn't water down the sangria...

Jimcs50
08-23-2004, 11:14 AM
GON, I went to Napa and Sonoma Valleys last month and found some great wines. I looked them up so you can read about them.

They are all less than $20

CHATEAU SOUVERAIN Chardonnay Sonoma County 2002
Rich and stylish, with ripe fig, apricot and honeysuckle, turning elegant and polished, with a long, rich finish.

RUTHERFORD HILL Chardonnay Napa Valley 2002
Spicy pear, green apple and lemon meringue, finishing with lively acidity, citrus flavors and a dash of toasty oak.

SEBASTIANI Chardonnay Sonoma County Appellation Selection 2001
Balanced, with spicy pear, floral, honey, vanilla and toasty oak, with a long finish that echoes hazelnut and spice.

If you want a Texas wine, get Messina Hof Chardonnay Barrel Reserve, it is always good and you are supporting the Texas economy. :)

Guru of Nothing
08-23-2004, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the tips.

Dumb question about your wine freezing tip CC: Does wine go bad?

Jimcs50
08-23-2004, 10:34 PM
GON, yes wine goes bad, air and wine do not mix especially during the years of aging, you don't want air getting to the wine, it will turn into vinegar. However, when you're about to drink it, air getting across a good surface area of a wine can bring out its aromas, hence the reason for decanting, that and also to remove the sediments.

CosmicCowboyXXX
08-24-2004, 07:18 PM
Does wine go bad?

wine goes bad, but not immediately...we drink more red than white and it is not uncommon for us to keep a bottle corked at room temperature for 3 or 4 days after opening. If there is any left after that we freeze it for cooking.

Emeril Lagasse
08-24-2004, 07:28 PM
When I'm cooking with wine...if there is any left over?

I keep it on ice so when the thirst hits, "Bamm!", I'm ready.