PDA

View Full Version : Player Analysis - Spurs vs. Mavs 2010 Playoff Preview

timvp
04-16-2010, 09:41 PM
Even though some of the faces on the Spurs and Mavs may be new, these two teams have battled so many times in recent years that there will be no mysteries heading into this first round series. The victor will be the team that executes their gameplan the best. What do the Spurs need out of each player? Here's a look:

-------------------------------

Tim Duncan
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3173.jpg

Usually, the Spurs will look for Tim Duncan to carry the team in the postseason. Against the Mavs, that would be a faulty strategy. Erick Dampier and Brendan Haywood are very good defenders on the low post and will allow the Mavs to defend Duncan without sending many double-teams his way. The Spurs need to keep Duncan involved but he shouldn't force the issue simply due to the fact that he'll be defended one-on-one most of the series.

Duncan can help the most defensively and on the glass. Defending pick-and-rolls, switching out onto shooters and protecting the rim without picking up fouls will be difficult but Duncan has to be up to the challenge. Rebounding-wise, the Spurs need Duncan to average at least a dozen boards this series -- even more if Pop decides to employ an excessive amount of small ball.

Overall, Duncan should concentrate on being highly efficient offensively and active defensively. He'll have opportunities to be great but the Spurs don't need Duncan to carry the team on his shoulders.

Manu Ginobili
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3380.jpg

Manu Ginobili, unlike Duncan, can't simply take what is given to him. The Spurs need Ginobili to be a superstar. Not only will Ginobili need to be the top scoring option, he also needs to be the team's main playmaker. Pick-and-rolls with Ginobili at the helm should be the go-to play for the Spurs against the Mavs. Draining three-pointers to spread the court will be vital, as will proving he can score at the rim over the long Mavs frontcourt.

The other end of the court is a bit worrisome for Ginobili. It has always been best for Ginobili to go up a weak offensive player so he can cheat off his man and wreak havoc. Unfortunately, the Mavs have talent across their backcourt. One idea is to let Ginobili defend Jason Kidd most of the time, although that may backfire due to Kidd's ability to knock down three-pointers when Ginobili gambles. If Ginobili is forced to defend Caron Butler or Jason Terry, he obviously can't afford to get in foul trouble.

For the Spurs to win this series, Ginobili may have to be spectacular -- I'm talking 25 points, seven assists and five rebounds per game.

Tony Parker
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3527.jpg

With Ginobili taking the lead role, Tony Parker will attempt to spark the bench. As is always the case with Parker, he needs to be aggressive on both ends to be at his best. When he enters the game, Parker needs to literally hit the ground running. He has a chance to be a difference-maker with his ability to get easy buckets in transition and penetrate-and-kick to three-point shooters. Conversely, Parker needs to avoid shooting contested jumpers and forcing shots in the lane against Dallas' bigmen.

Defense is another area Parker can help. He's one of the better options on the Spurs to defend a number of players on the Mavs including Kidd, Terry, J.J. Barea and Roddy Beaubois. If Parker is playing around 30 minutes per game, he should have enough fuel to constantly pressure the ball on the defensive end.

This will be a very interesting series for Parker. How will the Parker-off-the-bench experiment work out? I think it could be a success but it will require Parker avoiding all passiveness and Pop calling his number at the right times.

George Hill
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/4488.jpg

If George Hill is healthy enough to play, he'll be the starting point guard and play a very important role in the series. Defensively is where Hill could hold the most value. If he proves he can handle Butler, that could help Ginobili save his energy for the offensive end. Last postseason, Hill showed he could defend Terry and Barea well -- and he'll be called upon to do that once again.

Offensively, Hill can help the Spurs most in two ways: hitting a high percentage of his three-pointers and getting to the free throw line. When paired with Parker, which could happen quite often due to Dallas' propensity to pair two small guards in the backcourt, Hill should see plenty of opportunities to shoot three-pointers and run the court.

This postseason will be a litmus test for Hill. Going forward is he a good role player or a star in the making? We'll soon have a better idea.

Richard Jefferson
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3523.jpg

Richard Jefferson's first year in San Antonio has been a rollercoaster ride -- with more downs than ups. He's had a hard time adjusting to his complementary role with San Antonio. Jefferson's attention to detail has oftentimes been lacking and there are obvious signs that the pressure to perform on a winning team has negatively impacted his play. All that said, his regular season woes will be forgotten if he steps up and plays well in the playoffs.

On offense, he's had the most success when he attacks on fast breaks and when penetrating the lane against a rotating defense. Jefferson gets in trouble when he tries to isolate or relies on outside jumpers. Typically a decent three-point shooter, he's just 10-for-46 from deep since the beginning of March. If the Mavs force him to shoot from the outside and Jefferson doesn't respond with makes, he could see his minutes slashed.

Defensively, he physically appears to be a natural fit to go against Marion. That defensive alignment, however, is dangerous for San Antonio. Marion thrives in transition and getting garbage buckets in the lane. Jefferson tends to have a few lapses per game in transition defense and also tends to be soft in the paint. Those aren't a good pair of attributes when going against Marion. Let's hope Jefferson picks up his level of play on both ends of the floor in the playoffs. Otherwise, the coaching staff may have to abandon Jefferson in the middle of the series.

Antonio McDyess
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3004.jpg

Antonio McDyess has a reputation of peaking late in the season. Well, here we are. Against the Mavs, he's going to be hugely important. McDyess will start the game against Dirk Nowitzki while the citizens of San Antonio pray he can do a decent job. In the regular season contests, McDyess had his moments against Nowitzki but those moments rarely lasted long. The two main keys for McDyess against Nowitzki are picking him up early in transition and avoid sending him to the line.

On offense, it's important for McDyess to knock down his midrange jumpers to keep the Mavs honest. It will be equally important for him to be physical and crash the glass on both ends. He has done a good job of pulling down offensive rebounds lately and those should be available versus Nowitzki. If the Mavs decide to front Duncan, McDyess' ability to connect on high-low passes will be tested.

Matt Bonner
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3748.jpg

I wish I could say I'm confident that Matt Bonner will atone for the egg he laid last postseason against the Mavs … but I'm not. He just doesn't strike me as a player who has the intestinal fortitude to nail momentous shots in the playoffs, especially on the road. For those who have blocked it from their memory, Bonner shot just 21.7% from the field and 23.1% on three-pointers last year in the playoffs. In the four losses, he was just 2-for-14 from the field and 0-for-9 on threes.

If Bonner surprises me and plays at the top of his game, he'd be extremely helpful. Offensively, the Spurs are at their best when Bonner is on the court pulling an opposing bigman out of the paint. Defensively, he has the potential to do decent work on Nowitzki. In fact, it could turn out he's the best Nowitzki defender on the team.

If Bonner bombs in this series, that would likely be the end of his Spurs career. If he flourishes, he could gain the needed confidence to not back down from big situations from here on out.

DeJuan Blair
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/4642.jpg

DeJuan Blair put an exclamation point at the end of his rookie season with 27 points, 23 rebounds, four assists and three steals against the Mavs. Despite that impressive performance, he very well could be playing a small role in this playoff series -- especially if Pop continues to play Blair primarily when Duncan is off the court. But you'd think that even the most cynical of coaching staffs had to be intrigued with how much Blair dominated in the finale.

In the minutes he gets, Blair should continue his highly productive play. The Mavs have length but they aren't overly mean on the frontline. The main problem Blair will face is his defensive matchup. If paired with Duncan, that would likely leave Blair on Nowitzki. Though Blair has quick feet, Nowitzki's length, craftiness and ability to draw contact could make it an impossible guard for the rookie.

Keith Bogans
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3746.jpg

Keith Bogans could play five minutes per game this series ... or he could play 30 minutes per game. It all depends on how the players ahead of Bogans perform. For example, if Jefferson shows too much of an airhead tendency to keep Marion under wraps, Bogans will be called to duty. Or, if neither Hill nor Ginobili can slow Butler, that job will likely become Bogans' challenge.

Due to the above circumstances, the less we see of Bogans this series, the better. When he's out on the court, he needs to bring his defensive toughness in addition to gritty rebounding. On the offensive end, Bogans will have value if he can sink three-pointers. From beyond the arc, he's been extremely streaky. Let's hope he is streaking in the right direction during the postseason.

Roger Mason, Jr.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3628.jpg

Excuse the honesty, but Roger Mason, Jr. shouldn't see playing time this series. Defensively, there is simply no one for Mason to defend. Last postseason, the Dallas guards took turns abusing him. Now that the Mavs have even more talent at their swingman positions, Mason's lack of defense will be exposed to an even higher degree.

On the scoring end of the court, Mason might be even worse. Since the All-Star break, Mason is shooting 31.4% from the floor and 24.5% on three-pointers. Considering that his job on the offensive end is to be a marksman from deep, how exactly is he supposed to help the Spurs against the Mavs? That's a question I hope Pop doesn't try to answer.

Garrett Temple
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/2170/garretttempleface.jpg

Garrett Temple has come out of nowhere to become a player the Spurs might actually play during the postseason. In fact, if Hill is too hurt to suit up for Game 1, there's a good chance Temple would be inserted into the starting lineup. In his four games as starter for the Spurs, Temple averaged 11.3 points, 3.3 rebounds and 1.5 assists while shooting 51.7% from the field and 53.9% on three-pointers.

All in all, I like Temple's game. On offense, he's a good ballhandler for his size (6-foot-6), plays with good pace, uses his speed and long limbs to score in transition, and shoots three-pointers well from the corners. Defensively, he competes with toughness, makes smart rotations and uses his length to challenge shots. Temple oozes fundamentals and while he's not overly talented, he's probably someone who won't hurt the Spurs if he's thrown into the fire.

Malik Hairston
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/8769/malikhairstongt.jpg

Malik Hairston missed the last game of the regular season due to a sprained ankle. Even if he's healthy in time for the first round series, I don't expect him to see much time on the court. For Hairston to get minutes, Pop would have to lose trust in Bogans as the team's perimeter defensive stopper. At the end of quarters, Hairston may be inserted for a defensive possessions -- but that's about it.

Next year will be the year Hairston should get his chance. For now, Hairston has intriguing yet raw potential. He can get to the basket and finish with athleticism, though he needs to refine his ballhandling and outside shot. Defensively, he's very good at contesting shots and rebounding … but needs to rotate faster and do a better job of staying in front of his man. He may become a legit NBA player, however this is very unlikely to be the stage he proves or disproves that assertion.

Ian Mahinmi
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3954.jpg

Ian Mahinmi is another player who is unlikely to see action. Pop rarely gave him significant time during pressure-free regular season games, why would he start now? It would take either extreme desperation or excessive foul trouble for Mahinmi to see the floor in a close game.

If he does play, Mahinmi has proven he can make things happen. He's a good rebounder and an intimidator around the rim. On the other end, he's comfortable with his back to the basket and even has a face-up jumper. I like him as a prospect but his game is so unpolished (due to a lack of playing time) that he's not ready for this level of play. His opportunities will come in forthcoming years -- hopefully in silver and black.

Top Ten Keys - Spurs vs. Mavs 2010 Playoff Preview (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151255)

baseline bum
04-16-2010, 09:55 PM
LJ, what are your thoughts on how Parker has looked and what to expect from him this series?

petee
04-16-2010, 10:02 PM
insightful thoughts but they would be even perfecter if a prediction was made.

TD 21
04-16-2010, 10:15 PM
Again with your lack of confidence when it comes to Duncan. He has destroyed Dampier over the years. Who cares that they'll play him one on one? The guy flat out can't guard him.

L.I.T
04-16-2010, 10:26 PM
My view on the 37 minutes that Mason got against the Mavs was precisely to answer that question. I think Pop was giving him a chance to (again) show if he could effective against the Mavs.

He failed miserably. So I seriously doubt he'll see much other than spot minutes.

L.I.T
04-16-2010, 10:32 PM
Oh and with regards to TP. Coming off the bench in this series works out perfectly for him. None of the Mavs bench players can hang with him defensively.

That green light that so irritates some sections of Spurs fandom will be one of the factors that could swing the series in the Spurs favor.

Good point with RJeff also and his transition defense. One of the reasons why Marion has consistently sucked against the Spurs, has been the Spurs (and specifically Bowens) ability to get back and in position in transition. RJeff has the ability to do so, I question his mental discipline to do so.

Blackjack
04-16-2010, 11:01 PM
For those who have blocked it from their memory, Bonner shot just 21.7% from the field and 23.1% on three-pointers last year in the playoffs. In the four losses, he was just 2-for-14 from the field and 0-for-9 on threes.

If I remember correctly, Bonner was pretty consistent w/ his outside shooting against DAL in the POs last year. Hopefully, as you said, he rediscovers his stroke in Gm 1.

timvp ... why must you call out Fpoonsie?

It's really uncalled for (he's good people). :smokin

timvp
04-16-2010, 11:05 PM
LJ, what are your thoughts on how Parker has looked and what to expect from him this series?
He's had his moments since his return. There's obviously some rust but Parker has always been a quick healer and quick to find his rhythm, so I'm not too worried. I think he can reach 85% of his normal level at some point this series.

As far as what to expect, I see him averaging around 15 points and five assists in 28-30 minutes. If Parker can keep the bench unit afloat, that'd be good. If he can create open shots for shooters and get a player like Bonner going, he'll be very valuable. Do I think he could carry the team and play at an All-Star level? Probably not but I haven't given up hope.

If the Spurs struggle early on in the series, I'd bet Pop will respond by putting TP back into the starting lineup. That could happen as soon as Game 2.

MaNu4Tres
04-16-2010, 11:11 PM

Roger Mason, Jr.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3628.jpg

Excuse the honesty, but Roger Mason, Jr. shouldn't see playing time this series. Defensively, there is simply no one for Mason to defend. Last postseason, the Dallas guards took turns abusing him. Now that the Mavs have even more talent at their swingman positions, Mason's lack of defense will be exposed to an even higher degree.

On the scoring end of the court, Mason might be even worse. Since the All-Star break, Mason is shooting 31.4% from the floor and 24.5% on three-pointers. Considering that his job on the offensive end is to be a marksman from deep, how exactly is he supposed to help the Spurs against the Mavs? That's a question I hope Pop doesn't try to answer.

Couldn't agree more.

raspsa
04-16-2010, 11:15 PM
Its the playoffs, a completely different animal from the RS.. so a lot will depend on how the young bucks on the team respond to the pressure. On paper, the Spurs bench should be an advantage but that has to be proven in the POs.

Libri
04-16-2010, 11:17 PM

On the scoring end of the court, Mason might be even worse. Since the All-Star break, Mason is shooting 31.4% from the floor and 24.5% on three-pointers. Considering that his job on the offensive end is to be a marksman from deep, how exactly is he supposed to help the Spurs against the Mavs? That's a question I hope Pop doesn't try to answer. With respect to Mason, I still see Pop giving him at least 15 minutes. In April, Mason averaged 23/24 minutes a game, which I think was, in part, Pop's attempt to jump start his offense. Mason was atrocious from the 3-point line in March but still got 16 minutes a game. If Pop surprises us and decides to give Temple minutes, and if Bogans gets some playing time, then Mason's role could be diminished.

timtonymanu
04-16-2010, 11:17 PM
I still cant fully trust Bonner so RJ and McDyess both need to step up. RJ needs to grow some balls and McDyess needs to not be lazy. Both of these guys playing well will really do alot for this team.

tmtcsc
04-16-2010, 11:22 PM
If Tony doesn't start, he's going to be pissed. No matter what he says publicly. It's just the way he is. That might be a problem.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
04-16-2010, 11:33 PM
Great write up, totally agree with Mason.

Fpoonsie
04-16-2010, 11:45 PM
timvp ... why must you call out Fpoonsie?

It's really uncalled for (he's good people). :smokin

:lol

Don't think me immodest, but I thought that felt like a shot.

silverblk mystix
04-16-2010, 11:46 PM
If Tony doesn't start, he's going to be pissed. No matter what he says publicly. It's just the way he is. That might be a problem.

...and you are basing this ...on what????

Blackjack
04-17-2010, 12:43 AM
:lol

Don't think me immodest, but I thought that felt like a shot.

It immediately came to mind as soon as I read it; the guy tries to be cute and subtle ... but the dude's cold-blooded.

Uncalled for, timvp. Just uncalled for . . . :smokin

Brazil
04-17-2010, 12:55 AM
:rolleyes

ace3g
04-17-2010, 01:43 AM
In my opinion for the Spurs to beat the Mavs:

1. RJ must be aggressive and rebound
2. Dice must hit the mid range J and rebound
3. Blair must get minutes (even though he is a rookie, play him Pop) his rebounding can help against the Mavs;

4. Bonner must hit the 3 to help spread the floor
5. Limited, limited minutes for both Bogans and Mason

You know pretty much what you will get from Manu, Timmy, Tony, and Hill but if RJ, Dice, Blair, and Bonner play well; the Spurs should be in good shape

ace3g
04-17-2010, 01:45 AM
Another plus, the travel time won't be much of a factor since it is Dallas to SA

The Truth #6
04-17-2010, 02:53 AM
I'm pretty much assuming that Mason and Bogans will struggle this series, unfortunately. Temple I have hope for. It's probably crazy to expect much from him but I think he will contribute in this series on defense and be competent enough on offense.

If Temple does not shit his pants right out of the gate, then he could be of use defending the pick and roll with Dirk. If Pop reverts to switching, which I'm convinced he will try at some point, then Temple might be the best option to have to cover either a PG or Nowitzki in the same play.

I've seen enough of RJ, Bonner, and Mason to know they won't rise to the challenge, at least for the majority of the series. I think Temple can play a smart safe game that won't hurt the team in the way Beno did vs. Detroit circa June 2005. We just need defense and someone to hit an open jumper. I think Temple can be the cliched x factor.

DAF86
04-17-2010, 04:37 AM
Ginobili should guard Marion, the ex-Sun has lost his jumper, he's shooting 15% from the 3pt line this season.

Muser
04-17-2010, 07:09 AM
Where's that praying kid with the dog picture? We need it to keep Hill healthy.

Rummpd
04-17-2010, 07:17 AM
Bottom line from a clinical perspective Spurs have a superstar level player in Manu with mega stones and the Mavs have Dirk at the other end of the hormonal spectrum + Kidd is going to be overwhelmed by Parker and Hill. Rest will even out. Spurs in 5.

Spurs Brazil
04-17-2010, 08:41 AM
Antonio McDyess: If the Mavs decide to front Duncan, McDyess' ability to connect on high-low passes will be tested.

I'm worried about this. During the season Dice did a terrible job passing the ball.

Zarko's Ghost
04-17-2010, 08:55 AM
Again with your lack of confidence when it comes to Duncan. He has destroyed Dampier over the years. Who cares that they'll play him one on one? The guy flat out can't guard him.

If Timmy can't average at least 20 and 12 (with 50% shooting) against single coverage, the Spurs will struggle to stay with the mavs. I for one think he is up to it.

Duncanoypi
04-17-2010, 09:24 AM
Where's that praying kid with the dog picture? We need it to keep Hill healthy.

http://www.guzer.com/pictures/boy_dog_pray.jpg

:flag::lobt2:

Tito_Trinidad
04-17-2010, 09:46 AM
You all know what Spurs offense will be. The ONLY way to win is get back the: team DEFENSE. The vintage defense that allowed Spurs win 4 RINGS.

timvp
04-17-2010, 01:09 PM
Ginobili should guard Marion, the ex-Sun has lost his jumper, he's shooting 15% from the 3pt line this season.

Possible. Manu on Marion now would be similar to the matchup of Manu on Prince back in the 2005 Finals.

Spurminator
04-17-2010, 01:25 PM
McD, or whoever is guarding Nowitzki, needs to be on him like a leach when he doesn't have the ball. You can get away with having a smaller player on Nowitzki as long as you can frustrate him for 24 seconds of every Mavs possession. If Bogans didn't suck, he'd be ideal for this, and you could bring Marion's man to double him.

wut
04-17-2010, 01:34 PM
While I agree that Parker wouldn't say anything about it publicly but in tighter circles push for starting...the real problem here is I don't think that's even the case, because even he knows he isn't 100%.

Parker isn't playing with much confidence in his abilities. He's playing safe, much like Manu played at the start of the season.

bigdog
04-17-2010, 01:38 PM
Just win. I don't care how they do it. Just win. (as long as Mason stays on the bench)

timvp
04-17-2010, 07:01 PM
McD, or whoever is guarding Nowitzki, needs to be on him like a leach when he doesn't have the ball.

Yeah, McDyess gave up open shots to Dirk during the regular season in transition and off of offensive rebounds. The Spurs can't afford to give Dirk those open looks. If McDyess doesn't pick up Dirk early and stick with him until the Spurs have the ball, the Spurs will be in trouble and McDyess will be on the bench.

DPG21920
04-17-2010, 07:03 PM
I have absolutely no faith in Dice. I feel he has packed it in. I don't know if it is mental, or physical, but I see no reason to believe he can guard Dirk. In theory, it would be huge and it makes sense. I certainly hope Dice was doing some serious coasting this regular season.

jestersmash
04-17-2010, 07:11 PM
McDyess already basically said that he's packing it up after this season. Honestly, I think he's looking more for an early retirement while riding the coattails of duncan, ginobili, parker in hopes of doing well this postseason...without any significant contribution from his part needed.

I just get that sort of vibe from him. He's so inexcusably clumsy on the offensive end. How many times have you seen him wide open after a play execution, Ginobili rockets the ball his way, and it...hits him on the side or slips through his hands because he's flat out not ready for the ball, or not expecting it, or not..wanting it?

I don't know what his deal is but I can't wait to get rid of that useless old sack of meat post playoffs.

Unfortunately we're stuck with him for now, so we can only pray I suppose.

Dyess is just a severe liability for us on the offensive end, and he's a pinch better than Bonner on the defensive end.

But, Bonner is much more consistent offensively. He can get hot with 3s, but most importantly he's shown the emergence of that little runner in the lane as a backup if the 3 isn't an option.

I'll take Bonner's enhanced offense over Dice's mediocre (albeit slightly superior) defense any day.

That said, we still need to get stronger on the inside after this summer.

TD 21
04-17-2010, 07:13 PM
I have absolutely no faith in Dice. I feel he has packed it in. I don't know if it is mental, or physical, but I see no reason to believe he can guard Dirk. In theory, it would be huge and it makes sense. I certainly hope Dice was doing some serious coasting this regular season.

I agree. Truthfully, I think his heart is still in Detroit. He never really wanted to leave, he was sort of forced to, because he's near the end of his career and the team is, if not in a full on re-build, certainly in the process of re-loading. They're moving on from the old guard, so he probably felt somewhat obligated to leave. Then, when it became apparent that the Spurs weren't a title contender, I think he completely checked out. He's on his last deal, so if the team isn't in contention, like he expected, what's he really playing for? I'm not saying he mailed it in, like Wallace, but I think that mentality crept into his mindset. Particularly because he doesn't have to do a ton on this team. Some games, he's barely needed at all.

I'm still holding out hope that in the playoffs, we see the McDyess of old. The McDyess that is a tenacious, intense competitor. He's nearing the end, the Spurs have turned it around and they have a chance to advance and, at the very least, do some damage. He's got to be thinking, "how far can we take this?". The West is relatively wide open.

jestersmash
04-17-2010, 07:16 PM
I mean who remembers that epic game against OKC where Ginobili drove to the basket for the game winning shot and tried to hand it off to Dice because he was...wide open? Ginobili hands it off to Dice's...back.

It irritates me so much that Dice has no focus while on the offense. Even on defense, I rarely see any sort of tenacity from him. It just seems like a grind to him.

A little bit of god damned enthusiasm on the defensive end at least would be nice..dear lord. It's the playoffs, this is your last year

The Truth #6
04-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Bonner tries harder, that's true, but I'm not sold on the results. If Dice shows up, then we'll be in much better shape then what Bonner will give us. In a perfect world they both show up. If Bonner can somehow *gasp* take Dirk off the dribble and even get him in foul trouble he'll do the team a world of good. Yes, his success/failure will be measured in how he shoots from behind the arc, but if he can somehow use some of the junk he recently put in his game, then he would still be able to contribute, even if he's hitting the side of the backboard on his 3s.

La Mont
04-18-2010, 08:06 AM
Yeah, McDyess gave up open shots to Dirk during the regular season in transition and off of offensive rebounds. The Spurs can't afford to give Dirk those open looks. If McDyess doesn't pick up Dirk early and stick with him until the Spurs have the ball, the Spurs will be in trouble and McDyess will be on the bench.
man uhh... I agree that McDyess is the best guy Spurs have got to use in defending Dirk, but he has to be played as long as Dirk plays even if he struggles, as you don't have someone else who's capable of doing the job better than McDyess possibly does. umm... it's really quite a shame to let this soft-ass PF score alot but it doesn't kill the game if his teammates suck.

man if you had watched enough Mavs games you would know it's always the performances of their role players that set the tune of their games. ahhh... Dirk always plays like Dirk but none of his teammates even plays at half consistency. Pop won't assign Duncan to defend Dirk because Duncan's energy is better used in offense, for the same reason the Mavs will also use someone else against Duncan at defensive end. The Spurs just don't have an answer to Dirk, analogeously the Mavs also have no answer for Duncan. So I decree the series pretty much depends on the performances of those role players of the two teams.

m33p0
04-18-2010, 08:18 AM
Possible. Manu on Marion now would be similar to the matchup of Manu on Prince back in the 2005 Finals.
don't you think manu would be spending too much energy on defense if he's put on marion, energy that could be better suited to wreak havoc on offense?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-18-2010, 08:29 AM
I really hope Pop reads Wayne Winston (you have to scroll down a bit):

http://waynewinston.com/wordpress/

Some fascinating statistical evaluations on our best combinations that accord with what I've seen on the court, and a reason NOT to play much Bogans! :lol